GL NEWS 7/29/20

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Re: GL NEWS 7/29/20

Post by Fughedaboutit »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:04 am Great info UTC. Very interesting.
Any more info on Melia? Still around?
Came from a Gangster Report article. I tried to post it but I guess that site is blocked.

Here is the entire write up.

East coast wiseguy Eugene (Rooster) O’Nofrio switched from New York’s Gambino crime family to the Genovese crime family in the late 1990s after a blowup with a Gambino higher-up at his headquarters located on the border between New York and Connecticut. The change in organizations allowed the 75-year old Goodfella to finally receive his button and get inducted into the mafia.

O’Nofrio is currently awaiting trial on racketeering charges out of New York City. He’s alleged to be a Genovese syndicate captain overseeing activity in his home base of Connecticut as well as in Western Massachusetts and Manhattan’s Little Italy neighborhood.

Throughout the 1990s, O’Nofrio ran his rackets out of Café Roma in Port Chester, New York, a city resting on the Connecticut border, just east of Greenwich. At that time, he was a part of the Gambino regime and worked under capo Louis (Louie Bracciole) Ricco. His mob portfolio included bookmaking, loans sharking and drug operations and he paid both Ricco and the Gambino’s then-Connecticut territory chief Anthony (Tony the Genius) Megale a tribute.

In the early part of 1997, per sources and FBI records, O’Nofrio got into a heated altercation at Café Roma with Megale’s second-in-command, native Sicilian Nicola (Nick the Greaseball) Melia over a demand by Melia that O’Nofrio raise his tribute amount. According to people present at Café Roma that day, the pair had to be separated and Melia threw an ashtray at O’Nofrio in disgust when O’Nofrio balked at the order to increase tribute payments.

According to sources in the New York underworld, Melia told Gambino administrators that O’Nofrio, a known “hitter” and prospective mob initiate, shouldn’t get made into the Gambino clan. Shortly thereafter, Ricco and Megale arranged for O’Nofrio to be transferred to the Genovese crime family and placed in the crew of Matthew (Matty the Horse) Ianneillo, who sponsored him for induction at his making ceremony in March 2003, along with a half-dozen other mobsters, per federal documents. Ianniello and Megale are both deceased.

O’Nofrio was convicted of manslaughter in the gangland-style murder of Jimmy Cotter in Connecticut in 1972, however, had the case tossed on appeal after seven years behind bars. Besides the Cotter hit, O’Nofrio has been nailed for bank robbery and narcotics trafficking during his career in the mafia.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Meagle around the Jack Falcone time was said to lead a zip faction. Is this a CONNECTICUT zip faction??

Or was it this one guy and all overblown??

It was also stated in wiki
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

I think Meagle is a interesting guy to be a admin for the Gambino and not even be a NY guy
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Cheers Fugh 🤘🏻
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:04 am Cheers Fugh 🤘🏻
Yeah I wasn't aware he was an associate of the Gambinos then switched after that beef.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

CTamg65 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 am I believe he's still alive he has a son that used to be with him a lot ,and that is well known in the area .
The guy Napoleon Andrade that got whacked in front of Latos halfway house last year is the one who tied up and robbed Melias house in stamford. Make of that what you will.
CTamg65
Straightened out

Post by CTamg65 »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:02 am Meagle around the Jack Falcone time was said to lead a zip faction. Is this a CONNECTICUT zip faction??

Or was it this one guy and all overblown??

It was also stated in wiki
Melia is said to have tied to the Calabrians in Canada through his brother I don't remember too much about it other than that
CTamg65
Straightened out

Post by CTamg65 »

Tonyd621 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:07 pm
CTamg65 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 am I believe he's still alive he has a son that used to be with him a lot ,and that is well known in the area .
The guy Napoleon Andrade that got whacked in front of Latos halfway house last year is the one who tied up and robbed Melias house in stamford. Make of that what you will.

His son Phil was arrested years ago and did a couple years for giving a beating to the guy who planned it all. Melia has been around forever.
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

interesting that the rooster doesn't get made with the Gambinos but the Genovese who are supposed to be the most selective.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Philly d wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:45 pm interesting that the rooster doesn't get made with the Gambinos but the Genovese who are supposed to be the most selective.
Well I mean if he was in the "associate stage" regardless of family that doesn't mean the Gambino's weren't going to make him but the Genovese decided to after being rejected by another family.

I would assume he was on a track to get made by the Gambino's. But I see your point.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Philly d wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:45 pm interesting that the rooster doesn't get made with the Gambinos but the Genovese who are supposed to be the most selective.
Picked up on that as well.

Genovese looking at moving into traditional Bino territory I’d guess.

What I don’t get is the whole transfer thing. WHY would the Soldier/Capo who Rooster kicks up too agree to give him away? Never understood that. So he doesn’t kick up what you want, who gives a fuck, he kicks up. You give him away, what are you getting then?
The whole transfer issue never made sense to yours
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:35 pm

What I don’t get is the whole transfer thing. WHY would the Soldier/Capo who Rooster kicks up too agree to give him away? Never understood that. So he doesn’t kick up what you want, who gives a fuck, he kicks up. You give him away, what are you getting then?
I think they portrayed it realistically on the Sopranos...

First in Naples when the Lady initially balks at giving him Furio for nothing. Tony eventually gets kinda hosed on the car deal because of it.

The second was when Ralph wanted to switch families and Johnny Sack blows him off.....
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Well, if the account is how it went down, the move seems more to avoid an ongoing internal Gambino beef than a commentary on whether Rooster deserved to be made or not.
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Megale's uncle Cosmo Sandalo was a member of the 'Ndrangheta who was aligned with the Gambino CT crew. At some point he may have been made into the Gambino family.

LCNBios did a great article on the uncle:
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2019/04/bi ... ndalo.html

Typically Calabrians/Neapolitans, even those with 'Ndrangheta/Camorra ties, aren't considered "zips". No idea myself if Megale was close to other Italian-born figures around him in CT, but CT has historically had an 'Ndrangheta presence and as evidenced by his uncle some of them appear to have had ties to NYC Cosa Nostra.
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

Agreed. Why would you give up someone unless you get something in return.