Fosco's Mafia Report: DiFronzo and Outfit schism

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Confederate
Full Patched

Re: Fosco's Mafia Report: DiFronzo and Outfit schism

Post by Confederate »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 am
I believe Cicero swallowed what was left in Chicago Heights, Chinatown, Grand Avenue, Northside and likely some of the younger Elmwood Park guys.
Your "belief" is in partial contradiction to the F.B.I. who said there were at least 2 to maybe three crews left back in 2012. The Grand Avenue group was most definitely not "swallowed up" by Cicero according to all current research & the Feds have not indicated that either.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Frank wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:05 pm Frank Calabrese who definitely was hard core mobster praised DiFronzo as being smart for encouraging his guys to get into legit business.
Agreed - could this have been him steering guys to back away from the rackets though? DiFronzo was a multimillionaire in real estate alone up and down Grand Avenue and I can see him wanting to back away - but why go have pizza with other convicted felons like D'Amico a few years ago and get caught by Chuck Goudie? I don't really think that was 'old friends getting together' - I'm not totally sold, but I do believe DiFronzo allowed Cicero to swallow up remaining crews - they may have kept them distinct, but I think Cicero has been running the Outfit for the last 20 + years.

The other evidence is the Stier Malone Anderson union report which showed Andriacchi meeting with Vena, Cozzo, and a host of Grand Avenue guys circa 2002. I just question why Andriacchi would do that if he was told by DiFronzo to back away - unless he was going independent himself.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

I don't ever buy the buddies hanging out theory either. Just like when Spina and Marco were caught meeting multiple times at fast food joints, I find it hard to believe they were catching up on old times.

Truth be told Elmwood may not be what it once was and i think it's possible that Cicero is the primary crew, but I don't buy that it has been disbanded as a unique entity.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

SolarSolano wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:54 am
Frank wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:05 pm Frank Calabrese who definitely was hard core mobster praised DiFronzo as being smart for encouraging his guys to get into legit business.
Agreed - could this have been him steering guys to back away from the rackets though? DiFronzo was a multimillionaire in real estate alone up and down Grand Avenue and I can see him wanting to back away - but why go have pizza with other convicted felons like D'Amico a few years ago and get caught by Chuck Goudie? I don't really think that was 'old friends getting together' - I'm not totally sold, but I do believe DiFronzo allowed Cicero to swallow up remaining crews - they may have kept them distinct, but I think Cicero has been running the Outfit for the last 20 + years.

The other evidence is the Stier Malone Anderson union report which showed Andriacchi meeting with Vena, Cozzo, and a host of Grand Avenue guys circa 2002. I just question why Andriacchi would do that if he was told by DiFronzo to back away - unless he was going independent himself.
I still think that the Fosco has over the years developed this theory of DiFronzo, with no hard evidence to support that DiFronzo was a rat. He has some true facts from that time period from some made men. Maybe their opinions too. Combined that with his opinion and or theory that DiFronzo was a rat. Then passed off the whole thing as fact. Thats just my opinion.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

That would essentially be my assessment on the matter as well.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Fosco began grinding his axe against the Outfit after realizing they scammed him - I do think certain individuals went after him as well, but its possible he protects a lot of those guys too by writing fake bullshit. He claims to this day D'Amico wasn't made and will never elaborate on his own history of scamming innocent people out of money - just like what he attacks Fratto for.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Just like most guys, if the stories he is telling now are the truth he would have told them a long time ago. You could say that he didn't want to say it while DiFronzo was alive but he didn't hesitate to tell stories about DiFronzo ejaculating while stabbing Jay Campise and John Gattuso. Who really knows.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Fosco claims D'Amico wasn't made because Mags said he wasn't. He's not pulling that out of thin air. Fosco admits that he was a bad guy in the past but doesn't detail it. As for DiFronzo, he started feeling sorry for him when he took the selfie together. He realized he wasn't all there and took down a lot of his harsher criticisms. He feels a little more open now that DiFronzo died.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:43 pm As for DiFronzo, he started feeling sorry for him when he took the selfie together. He realized he wasn't all there and took down a lot of his harsher criticisms.
If he pulled something like that 30 years ago...... x(
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:55 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:43 pm As for DiFronzo, he started feeling sorry for him when he took the selfie together. He realized he wasn't all there and took down a lot of his harsher criticisms.
Yes, 30 years ago would have been a problem. But 11 years ago Fosco sued John and Pete DiFronzo, Rudy Fratto, and others, and nothing happened to him. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USC ... 1882-0.pdf
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:22 pm
Villain wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:55 pm
Yes, 30 years ago would have been a problem. But 11 years ago Fosco sued John and Pete DiFronzo, Rudy Fratto, and others, and nothing happened to him. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USC ... 1882-0.pdf
I agree and what i meant to say is, if Fosco did something similar to any seriously sick high level mobster 30 years ago....he wouldve been dead
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

New member here. Chicago native, some family connections to outfit guys. (no, I don't claim to have any inside info). I have always been very interested in the outfit and have spent countless hours over the past 10 years researching FBI files and news reports, ANP (taken with a grain of salt) in addition to all the great information brought on this forum.

After all of this reading, It felt like time to offer my opinions on the current state of the Outfit.

The time period that is the most interesting to me is 1986- Today. As we all know it's very hard to nail down all the exact developments through present day. However, I do want to share what I believe to be the most rational, likely scenario based on all the information we have.

Here we go....

1986- well established that Carlisi becomes Boss, Difronzo Underboss. Accardo is either Top Boss or a semi-retired advisor. By 1992 Carlisi is in jail, Accardo is dead, and Difronzo is soon to be indicted in the Rincon Reservation deal.

Difronzo is released in 1994....Fosco says it was because he became a CI. I'm not so sure that's the case. I believe he comes out as boss of the outfit. However, it's clear that by this time he is re-thinking his future, particularly in the sense that he does not want to spend his golden years in prison. His goal becomes to distance himself from any indictments, and slowly transition the Outfit to someone else.

How does he achieve this?

1.)Get a Front Boss. Most sources peg this as Apes Montelone. Makes sense. After Apes, Marcello gets it when he is out of prison.

2.) Encourage all of his inner circle from the Elmwood Park crew to dis-associate themselves from street level activities. Notice I say "Inner Circle". I do not agree with others that he "de-activated" the entire crew to protect himself. I believe he worked with the upper level guys (Pete D., Marco D, Joey A) to reduce street level stuff and go legit. These were the guys that could pull Difronzo down in an indictment if they went down. They all had tons of money, didn't need a prison sentence, and furthermore would insulate Difronzo by stepping back. I do not buy that younger, low level guys were forced to stop doing what they do. Difronzo just insulated himself from it, and probably stopped asking for tribute from those low level guys. He did not want to be involved.

Moving forward into the 2000's, I believe Difronzo was still top boss as late as 2005. (even though his EP inner circle had gone mostly legit). Family Secrets hits, and he finally decides to really hang it up. This is where I believe we see the full transition of power away from the old Elmwood Park crew as the dominant crew of the outfit, and over to the Cicero crew. My guess is Family Secrets is what finally brought it on. He officially transitions the power seat to Cicero. Most likely Sarno is in as some type of front boss for the real Cicero powers Inendino, Delaurentis, and Tornabene.

Difronzo may still ask for some type of tribute from the organization as a retired advisor, but by 2005/06 he is mostly out and stops being involved in major organizational decisions.

Finally, I believe this power shift to Cicero in 2005/2006 is what brought about the Tony Zizzo hit. Melrose Park crew is floundering without Marcello. There is a conflict between what is left of MP and the new Cicero power base/top admin. Cicero decides in order to streamline the system and bring everyone in line they must take Zizzo out.

Now this brings us closer to the modern day outfit. I do not believe that we are looking at 2 distinct organizations. (What is left of Elwwood and Grand, and then what is left of 26th and Cicero). My opinion is that Cicero is the power base overseeing the other crews. I do believe that whoever was still operating out of Elmwood Park was folded into Grand Ave. Strong evidence for this is that Steve Mandell, the Elmwood Park connected former cop, went right to Albie Vena for permission to kill someone in 2011/2012 (FBI wiretap). Why would an EP guy go to the Capo of Grand to ask permission? Because whoever was still working from EP was folded into Grand by that time.

This leads us to today. Cicero as the power, EP/Grand as a sub crew, 26th st either directly under Cicero or folded into Cicero. Who fills the spots? Delaurentis could potentially be the Accardo role, semi retired, or possibly totally out. Inendino possibly boss, Vena as underboss.

Is it streamlined like it was 40 years ago? No way. Looser, less defined. Less members, but still profitable and connected via 1 organization. More legitimate business and white collar crime, with some street elements here and there. 15-25 made guys, 100-200 loose associates total.

1 Man's opinion...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Tornabene belonged to the old Aiuppa aka MP/Cicero/South Side crew with Carlisi and Marcello.....Solly D and Jimmy I came from a different crew
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Villain wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm Tornabene belonged to the old Aiuppa aka MP/Cicero/South Side crew with Carlisi and Marcello.....Solly D and Jimmy I came from a different crew
Understood. What I am referring to is that when the power shift happened in 05/06, Sarno was working for others who were above him. I do not believe he was the main power in Cicero.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Coloboy wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:00 pm
Villain wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm Tornabene belonged to the old Aiuppa aka MP/Cicero/South Side crew with Carlisi and Marcello.....Solly D and Jimmy I came from a different crew
Understood. What I am referring to is that when the power shift happened in 05/06, Sarno was working for others who were above him. I do not believe he was the main power in Cicero.
Good points on everything else except i personally cannot confirm your theory regarding Sarno....if the story is true regarding Sarno making several Cicero guys during his reign as boss, than it seems that he held a lot of weight...btw wasnt Solly D in prison during Sarnos reign or maybe im wrong...

Edit: im wrong he was released in 2006