Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by johnny_scootch »

Lupara wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 am But the Todaro Sr. who's now dead was also likely not the original Sr.
His father was named Anthony.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

johnny_scootch wrote:
Lupara wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:03 am But the Todaro Sr. who's now dead was also likely not the original Sr.
And his grandfather?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by johnny_scootch »

Lupara wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:19 pm
johnny_scootch wrote:
And his grandfather?
Why does that matter? I think you're misunderstanding how this thing works.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

johnny_scootch wrote:
johnny_scootch wrote:
And his grandfather?
I think you do. It's a Sicilian custom to name the firstborn son after the grandfather.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by johnny_scootch »

Lupara wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:04 pm
johnny_scootch wrote:
johnny_scootch wrote:
And his grandfather?
I think you do. It's a Sicilian custom to name the firstborn son after the grandfather.
Yes I’m very aware of that tradition my family is from Calatabiano & Gaggi but obviously the Todaro’s we are talking about didn’t follow that custom. You have Anthony Todaro followed by Joe Todaro Sr then Joe Todaro Jr and finally Joe Todaro III.

For the Sr/Jr thing to come into effect you need consecutive generations with same exact name you aren’t a Jr because you have same name as your grandfather.
antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by antimafia »

The parents of Joseph E. Todaro (1923—2012)—Antonio/Antonino/Anthony Todaro and Salvatrice (Sarah) Frangiamore—might have followed the naming tradition when children Sam and Frances were born, as Salvatrice’s parents’ first names were Salvatore and Francesca (née Garofalo). Not sure yet how Joe Todaro’s siblings’ names appeared on the birth certificates.

I’m guessing that Joe was born before brother Sam, based on Joe’s online obituary, but I’m not sure yet. Finding details about the earlier generation of the Todaros is harder than doing so for the Frangiamores. If Joe was the first-born child of the six that Antonio and Salvatrice had—the parents married in 1920—it’s probable that Joe’s paternal grandfather was named Giuseppe. If Frances or Sam or both were born before Joe, then there was a deviation from the naming tradition. Strangely, in Joe’s obituary, Sam and Frances are listed last in the order of siblings.

Possible names for Joe’s paternal grandmother are, based on his obituary, Giuseppa/Giuseppina and Maria (unless Jeannie is an anglicized version of an Italian name).

Joe Todaro’s obituary:

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/en-ca/o ... ro-5356456
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

A jnr does not become a snr because they have a 3ed and the 1st is dead.....

Seriously....?? Why the fuck does it matter who's still alive, a prefix is a prefix.... snr jnr 1st 2and 3rd.... they dont change...
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

CabriniGreen wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:18 am
UTC wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:48 am I was just looking for the names of a couple of potentially powerful Buffalo people that could be involved. I wasn't looking for a thumbnail sketch of the 367 pages, since I read them more or less as they were written, nor to try to unravel the mysteries of Canada. Let's just say the people who think Buffalo is alive and influential in Canada are correct. Who exactly are are we talking about if that theory is correct? If Buffalo might be directing some pretty serious people in Canada, there must be some known heavyweights in Buffalo who appear to potentially have that clout and muscle.
Lol. Bro you trolling now. You said you read the thing, so in Canada you should know, it's the Violis, and Luppinos.

It's not " PEOPLE THINK" Buffalo is alive, jesus you sound like Wiseguy with that same argument. Its WHY DID DOMENICO VIOLI GET CAUGHT, ON A WIRE, TALKING ABOUT MAKING UNDERBOSS OF THE BUFFALO FAMILY, at a Bonnano making ceremony?

The fact that he was present at the ceremony is evidence that he is an initiated member of LCN, so when he says he got made with Buffalo, it must be true, that much at least. Hes a relatively recently made member of a family we all thought were defunct. So the family apparently is active enough to make a new member. No one imagined this. Big question, WHY?

Put it this way, sounds like you are asking WHO made the Violis, its been documented Todaro. If you are asking, what the action in Buffalo? Who are the players now?Well, the action is in Hamilton for the Violis, and partly Quebec. That's what was in the indictments, criminal activity in Canada.

I dont blame your line of thinking, I've had a hard time believing the Bonnanos could run Montreal by remote control as well....

Like, you follow this stuff? You got the Musitanos embroiled in a situation with a company claiming to have contracts worth 110 million a MONTH, for FIVE YEARS!!! And they might not even BE made.....

The crime fa tons up there are plenty interesting....
Thanks. Actually I just wanted to know if it was known who the major Buffalo LCN players are.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:34 pm I don't know. But we shouldn't fall into the trap of taking a well known member or someone who ran the rackets in an outpost and just slapping the Capo label on him as so often happens on the Internet.

As for Montreal there are FBI reports and charts from the 1960s-1980s that list the Montreal Capo. Don't see how they wouldn't know about the Hamilton Capo by the late 80s. Luppino and Papalia were already well known names back then.

Pogo
There is the interesting timing of Canadian Buffalo member Dante Gasbarrini's death in 2014, too, which is the same year the National Post article claimed the "reorgnization" began that led to Violi's induction/promotion and the promotion of his uncle Luppino to capodecina.

There was an article or book that suggested Gasbarrini would be assuming a leadership role following the Papalia murder (maybe Antimafia can remember the specifics). Given his advanced age, we can assume Gasbarrini had limited capacity in the years leading up to his death, but that could also explain the stagnation in Hamilton between 1997-2014. Whether it was a coincidence or not, there was a sudden surge in mafia political activity in Hamilton the same year Gasbarrini died.

A question with Scott's article is that he also refers to Gaetano Panepinto as a Rizzuto "capo" in Ontario circa late 1990s. Whether you believe the murky theory that the Rizzuto faction formally broke off from the Bonanno family or not, it seems unlikely Panepinto would be a capodecina in a brand new mafia family created by Vito Rizzuto before the Sciascia murder happened. I respect Scott's passion and dedication, but he has a tendency to get fast and loose with terminology to spice up his articles and by "capo" I assume he meant Panepinto was a leading figure working on behalf of Rizzuto, as he is typically described.

If we could see the RCMP reports he is referring to, it may clear up what the RCMP stated explicitly opposed to what was carried over into the article. Sounds like he had access to some great info.

--

We know the Bonanno family has had members in Ontario since the early 1960s. On the Magaddino tapes, it's discussed how Joe Notaro traveled to Canada in the early 1960s and inducted additional Canadian Bonanno members without Commission approval, including a group in Ontario. This Ontario Bonanno faction is mentioned again in an FBI report from the early 1970s, who state that both a Bonanno faction in Montreal as well as a Bonanno faction in Ontario report to underboss Phil Rastelli and top capodecina Nick Marangello, who served as liaisons to Canada.

The points of contact in Montreal and Ontario are redacted -- we can assume for Montreal it was Vic Cotroni, though it would be great to know who the point of contact was for Ontario. There is no reason to believe this Ontario Bonanno faction had its own capodecina and was likely under the Montreal capodecina. Given Paolo Violi's stature and relationship to Ontario, it's possible he served as a liaison between these two Canadian factions.

Then there's Nick Gentile's mysterious relatives in Vancouver who were close to Paolo Violi. They were from Siculiana like the Caruana-Cuntreras and Nick Gentile himself had earlier ties to Quebec. I lean toward them being Sicilian mafia members given how unlikely it is that an independent North American LCN family would exist in Vancouver though it would be quite a trip if we found out Giuseppe Gentile was a Bonanno member, too. Joe Bonanno was accused of planting flags everywhere, after all.

If Musitano was inducted into the Bonanno crew of Montreal, there would be precedent for Ontario-based Bonanno members who reported to Quebec. It could also tell something about Joe Violi's option of joining Buffalo or the Bonannos. The induction of Morena in Ontario doesn't seem to have ruffled feathers, which adds to the idea that there was precedent for Bonanno presence there. However, did Morena know of any Bonanno figures in his immediate area? Would be great to get a hold of more of the intelligence he provided.

--

How long has LE been using this acronym "IOC" to refer to mafia-related groups? Has it been used outside of Buffalo/Ontario? It reminds me of the ridiculous "East Coast Enterprise" phrase that was used in the case against the Philadelphia and Genovese leaders. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it gives the impression that LE is trying to move away from their historic terms like LCN.
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

^^LOL let's just be thankful that Scott didn't refer to Paneptino as a "Don".
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

B. wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 pmHow long has LE been using this acronym "IOC" to refer to mafia-related groups? Has it been used outside of Buffalo/Ontario? It reminds me of the ridiculous "East Coast Enterprise" phrase that was used in the case against the Philadelphia and Genovese leaders. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it gives the impression that LE is trying to move away from their historic terms like LCN.
I don't think these other terms signal a change of anything. Indictments, press releases, etc. still refer to La Cosa Nostra all the time. The reference to "Italian Organized Crime (IOC)" may simply be because you have elements of the American LCN, Sicilian Mafia, and NDrangheta all in that cross-border region.
All roads lead to New York.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 pm There is the interesting timing of Canadian Buffalo member Dante Gasbarrini's death in 2014, too, which is the same year the National Post article claimed the "reorgnization" began that led to Violi's induction/promotion and the promotion of his uncle Luppino to capodecina.

There was an article or book that suggested Gasbarrini would be assuming a leadership role following the Papalia murder (maybe Antimafia can remember the specifics). Given his advanced age, we can assume Gasbarrini had limited capacity in the years leading up to his death, but that could also explain the stagnation in Hamilton between 1997-2014. Whether it was a coincidence or not, there was a sudden surge in mafia political activity in Hamilton the same year Gasbarrini died.

I'm not sure if Gasbarinni was a Buffalo member. His name showed up in the 1960s Buffalo list as a Suspected Member (from Burlington, Ontario) but his name is not listed on the 1997 Buffalo chart. Have you seen anything that confirms his Buffalo membership?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:06 pm
B. wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 pm There is the interesting timing of Canadian Buffalo member Dante Gasbarrini's death in 2014, too, which is the same year the National Post article claimed the "reorgnization" began that led to Violi's induction/promotion and the promotion of his uncle Luppino to capodecina.

I'm not sure if Gasbarinni was a Buffalo member. His name showed up in the 1960s Buffalo list as a Suspected Member (from Burlington, Ontario) but his name is not listed on the 1997 Buffalo chart. Have you seen anything that confirms his Buffalo membership?

Pogo
The FBI only included members as confirmed if a member source or wiretap explicitly called them a member. This was particularly difficult with the Canadian membership, hence why we have so few confirmed members of the Magaddino Ontario and Bonanno Monteal groups. Magaddino's office bug makes references to Gasbarrini along with other Magaddino Ontario figures like Papalia, Harry Bordonaro, and the Aguecis, then there are references like this:

He was definitely an important mafia figure on record with the Magaddino family. Maybe Antimafia or Nickelcity can provide excerpts from books or other sources that could help point to his membership status.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks for this. He could very well have been a members but then again we have seen how important associates back in the 1960s were listed as members or suspected when they weren't. Seems strange that the Feds wouldn't have gotten confirmation on his membership in 30 years. Especially if he were important enough to be considered for a leadership position in 1997.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:The FBI only included members as confirmed if a member source or wiretap explicitly called them a member.
Was it not two independent sources? Using only one informant for confirmation is a bit dubious.