Birmingham Mafia Figures + Connections

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Birmingham Mafia Figures + Connections

Post by B. »

The Brooklyn/Queens ones were from Bisacquino and I have a 1980s FBI report where an informant says Louie Rumore was in the Armone crew at the time. They were close to their paesan Joe N. Gallo, which makes me wonder if there is a connection between the Bisacquino Rumores in NYC and the Bisacquino Rumores who lived in Bessemer, Alabama, along with the Gallos.

EDIT: Looked at Pogo's chart and he has Armone taking over the crew formerly under Joe Gallo, so that makes sense Rumore was under Armone.

Joe Gallo also helped run the Gambino Baltimore crew and knew soldier Jimmy Caronna there, also from Bisacquino.

Found an NYC Antonino Rumore from Bisacquino who was b. 1887 and d. 1965. Not sure that's the same as Louie's father, though census records show Louie's father Anthony was still alive in 1940 and his birth year is close to 1887 so might be the same one.
Last edited by B. on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

bisaquino, i think the others were from harlem.louie i believe lived off kessina blvd in queens
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

your quick B. yes..the men from that town in sicily had very close ties to balt. also as you stated close to the men from ribera
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

on the map ribera is closer to bisaquino than palermo i think
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I have a report about the early Italian history of Birmingham. Of course it doesn't have any info on the mafia, but the info is great and sheds light on how a mafia organization fit in there. Here are my notes:

- 90% of the Italian immigrants in Birmingham were Sicilian and 30% were from Bisacquino. Other villages that supplied large numbers of immigrants were Campofranco, Cefalu, and Sutera. Like Bill Bonanno said, there were others from the city of Palermo. There were also immigrants from Grotte, Agrigento, who came to Birmingham to work in the sulfur mines like the others.

- Before 1898, most Sicilians came to Birmingham from New Orleans while after 1898 they came through New York. This fits the Riberesi, as Caterinicchia came in 1897 or 1898 through NO while his bro-in-law Amari came through NYC later. The report says this change in entry port had no impact on "chain" migration and it continued as before.

- Italian identity and traditions were difficult to maintain in Birmingham because the Italian colonies were so spread out opposed to places like New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago, which it says had more concentrated colonies. I am sure this is another reason why the Birmingham mafia was not able to sustain itself -- we know mafia families required tight-knit Sicilian / Italian communities to sustain themselves for generations.

- Birmingham had Sicilian feasts for the patron saints of the following villages: Bisacquino, Campofranco, and San Giuseppe (Iato?). The early generations of Italians in Birmingham were also said to consider themselves "Sicilitani", "Bisacquinari", and "Campofrancesi" rather than "Italiani". Immigrants strongly preferred "paesani" from their home villages and there was a "chauvanism" expressed with the word "campanalismo", which the report explains meant "my village is better than yours." This was short-lived, though, as it says the way the Italians were spread out forced them to adopt a larger national identity that didn't allow their individual village/paesani identities to permanently influence the community like they did in other US cities.

- With the above info in mind, it is interesting the Riberesi are never mentioned in this report given we know they had a community near Birmingham, suggesting they may have been even more insular than other immigrants. With the "my village is better than yours" attitude in mind, maybe that contributed to them sequestering themselves up in Russellville. We can see in New Jersey that the Riberesi were incredibly insular and even isolated themselves from other mafiosi in NJ and New York, a quality they may have shared with their paesani in Alabama.

- Between 1900 and 1910 the Italian population in Birmingham more than tripled. We know from newspaper reports from the mid-00s that there were major efforts to bring Italian laborers to Birmingham and other southern cities. However, immigration reform in 1917 greatly reduced Italian immigration and likely dealt a major blow to mafia growth in the area -- it makes sense that the mafia disbanded within two decades after immigration was stunted, especially if their members were older.

- There was no central leader of the Birmingham Italian community, but the following had leadership roles in the community: Egidio Sabatini was the arrival contact for most Italians in Birmingham and helped them find housing. A food importer named Paul Tuscano helped immigrants with legal problems. GA Firpo was a New Orleans Italian embassy vice-consul based in Birmingham who helped represent immigrants with the local government as well as in communication with the Italian government. Jake Guercio, a barber, led local Italian societies and was a contact with the "business elite". Physicians Louis Cocciola, Louis Botta, PT Falletta, and dentist BF Sapienza were influential community figures. Will look into these names more later to trace heritage, etc.

- In 1905, Birmingham congressman Oscar Underwood spoke out against Italians because they were not of the "Aryan race." He stated that Italians, Spaniards, Greeks, and Assyrians had mixed blood with Asians and Africans and therefore the Anglo-Saxons should not mix with them. There was significant discrimination against Italians by the local Anglo-Saxons. Underwood proposed strict immigration reform that limited "non-Aryans" in the years to come and specifically targeted Italians, while Scandinavians, Germans, and Brits were able to emigrate in larger numbers. This is really strange, but it says congressman Oscar Underwood was known as "Pogo the Clown" to the local Italian community.

- The Ku Klux Klan in Birmingham also targeted Italians because of their darker complexions between 1915 and 1930. The Klan also severely cracked down against bootleggers during prohibition, which began early in Birmingham, which is probably one reason why the Birmingham mafia family was unable to thrive in the 1920s like mafia bootleggers elsewhere. The Klan and police also accosted and attacked Italians and other immigrants for ignoring the Sabbath on Sundays.

There is no reason to suspect mafia connections in this photo, but I thought it was interesting as this group of early Italian laborers was called a "floating gang". They worked in the Birmingham iron industry but had no specific duties, simply doing whatever was needed:

--

Based on the above, we can see that there was a foundation for an early mafia family given the 90% Sicilian heritage in the Italian community, particularly from areas of Sicily that produced mafiosi throughout the US. The report omits the Riberesi, but Bisacquino and Campofranco are in southern Palermo province, which is close to Ribera.

St. Louis figure Domenico Giambrone's arrival to Birmingham also makes sense, as his hometown of Palazzo Adriano is near Bisacquino and Campofranco. Early newspaper references to Birmingham "black hand" and "mafia" violence involving figures from Bisacquino, Burgio, and Casteltermini all connect to this same geographical area where Agrigento province borders lower Palermo province. The majority of Birmingham's Sicilian immigrants were probably legitimate laborers, but it can't be ignored that they all came from a geographical area of Sicily dominated by the mafia.

The Birmingham family's inability to sustain itself is also pretty clear: crackdowns on Italian immigration in the late 1910s had a dramatic impact on Birmingham's Italian colonies during the 1920s, when the rest of the US mafia got a new wave of recruits from Sicily; the Italian community was decentralized and spread out over several different colonies; the Klan's harsh opposition to bootlegging prevented Birmingham Italians from capitalizing on prohibition; Anglo-Saxon discrimination toward Italians in local government and social life forced Italians to assimilate and abandon their independent identity or leave the area.

We don't know if Bill Bonanno's references to the mid-1930s disbandment of Birmingham is exact, but the history of Italians in Birmingham fit perfectly with the idea of an early mafia family who couldn't sustain themselves beyond a generation or two.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Great info. You've really looked into this with a fine tooth comb.
- Italian identity and traditions were difficult to maintain in Birmingham because the Italian colonies were so spread out opposed to places like New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago, which it says had more concentrated colonies. I am sure this is another reason why the Birmingham mafia was not able to sustain itself -- we know mafia families required tight-knit Sicilian / Italian communities to sustain themselves for generations.
The Mafia was in Buenos Aires, Argentina and NYC at around the same time, it didn't last past the 1930's. When we look into the city's makeup we find that unlike NY, the Ital demo was evenly distributed across the city rather than in colonies.

However, cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh were arguably similar with Birmingham with pockets of Itals dispersed across the state. One cannot tell the history of Pittsburgh Italians and not go into the rest of western PA.
There is no reason to suspect mafia connections in this photo, but I thought it was interesting as this group of early Italian laborers was called a "floating gang". They worked in the Birmingham iron industry but had no specific duties, simply doing whatever was needed:
Very common. When laborers would work on railroads or mines, they had temporary communities set up which would change when it came time to work on the next section. Italians from NY would find a lead laborer and then embark together to upstate New York or as far out as Montana to do work and then return. And sometimes you had a Mafia member working in them, that wasn't uncommon and I got the sense they were workers, not in control of a secret racket. Sometimes if criminals thought the police was looking for them they'd join a 'labor gang.'
- Cigar shop owner Joe Ramatta of Birmingham was in contact with Morello member Salvatore Clemente in connection with the latter's counterfeiting ring. The nature of Ramatta's contact with mafia figures suggests he was a mafioso himself. A Joe Ramatta ended up in Chicago, where Clemente also spent time, but I don't know if it is the same one or someone else as I'm having difficulty finding records for the Birmingham figure.
There was a Joe Ramatta (b. 1883ish) who resided in Tampa and was arrested in Birmingham with a Stefano Vicari (Bro in law). This Ramatta wrote to Vincenzo and Charley Asaro in Birmingham. If there is a connection and this is the correct guy, it implies Birmingham had links to Tampa. He also sent a postcard to a certain someone:
postcard.PNG
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5789&p=138557&hili ... ri#p138557
Cina, of Bivona, wrote people from Tampa-
Filippo Giglio, bro in law. Once Tampa and the other Ybor with address 2107 11th Ave. It's one or the other.
Francesco Mobia, cousin, West Tampa

Cina's bro in Law Vincent Giglio wrote to
Vincent Giglio's wife, Giovanna lived in West Tampa, 245 Oak St
"Mr. Greco Giuseppe", West Tampa, 836 Oak St
Angelo Giglio, cousin, 146 Oak St, West Tampa

I have people from Birmingham who were incarcerated in the 10's also, they wrote people in Tampa (not sure if they are connected or not.)
Giuseppe Ramatta, he wrote to
wife Carmela (Vicari), 141 Arch St, Tampa and later on 236 Oak St.
brother Enrico, 215 Fortune St.

Stefano Vicari of Birmingham also wrote:
Giuseppe Vicari, 246 Oak St, Tampa
I sent you his folder which also contains his photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Great research. Fascinating read as always
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 am Great info. You've really looked into this with a fine tooth comb.

There was a Joe Ramatta (b. 1883ish) who resided in Tampa and was arrested in Birmingham with a Stefano Vicari (Bro in law). This Ramatta wrote to Vincenzo and Charley Asaro in Birmingham. If there is a connection and this is the correct guy, it implies Birmingham had links to Tampa. He also sent a postcard to a certain someone:
postcard.PNG

Is the last name Rametta, with an e?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

sdeitche wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:14 am
Chris Christie wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 am Great info. You've really looked into this with a fine tooth comb.

postcard.PNG

Is the last name Rametta, with an e?
Spelled several different ways. Official file has Ramatta, relatives wrote Rametta and Ramatta.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 am
- Cigar shop owner Joe Ramatta of Birmingham was in contact with Morello member Salvatore Clemente in connection with the latter's counterfeiting ring. The nature of Ramatta's contact with mafia figures suggests he was a mafioso himself. A Joe Ramatta ended up in Chicago, where Clemente also spent time, but I don't know if it is the same one or someone else as I'm having difficulty finding records for the Birmingham figure.
postcard.PNG

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5789&p=138557&hili ... ri#p138557
Cina, of Bivona, wrote people from Tampa-
Filippo Giglio, bro in law. Once Tampa and the other Ybor with address 2107 11th Ave. It's one or the other.
Francesco Mobia, cousin, West Tampa

Cina's bro in Law Vincent Giglio wrote to
Vincent Giglio's wife, Giovanna lived in West Tampa, 245 Oak St
"Mr. Greco Giuseppe", West Tampa, 836 Oak St
Angelo Giglio, cousin, 146 Oak St, West Tampa

I have people from Birmingham who were incarcerated in the 10's also, they wrote people in Tampa (not sure if they are connected or not.)
Giuseppe Ramatta, he wrote to
wife Carmela (Vicari), 141 Arch St, Tampa and later on 236 Oak St.
brother Enrico, 215 Fortune St.

Stefano Vicari of Birmingham also wrote:
Giuseppe Vicari, 246 Oak St, Tampa
I sent you his folder which also contains his photo.
Thank you for the additional info on early US Italians and these great details on Ramatta.

I am unsurprised that Ramatta appears to be from Agrigento and has ties to Tampa, which was comprised almost entirely of Agrigentini and is alleged to have been one of the early families that branched out from New Orleans, like Birmingham. These early southern groups and others like St. Louis appear to have connections from the little we know. The New Orleans Agrigentini aren't as well known but I'm finding they were there -- the Marcellos and Gaglianos were Agrigentini among the "later" generations of leadership.

There was a mafioso Giuseppe Vicari in the California Bay Area early on. He came from Santo Stefano Quisquino like Ignazio Italiano the early boss of Tampa, so there could be a connection to the Vicaris you listed in Tampa / Birmingham. Given Ramatta was from Agrigento it would make sense if his wife Vicari was from there also.

That postcard speaks volumes. No need to even comment.

Great info.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Swing and a miss from my end. This Giuseppe Rametta is from Santo Stefano Quisquina, which is right next to Alessandria Della Rocca. Looks like his daughter married a Lazzara.
Capturessq.PNG
40340_1220706416_0222-00212.jpg
40340_1220706416_0222-00213.jpg
40340_1220706416_0350-00239.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:52 am Swing and a miss. This Giuseppe Rametta is from Santo Stefano Quisquina, which is right next to Alessandria Della Rocca. Looks like his daughter married a Lazzara.
Capturessq.PNG

I've seen the name Rametta before, which is why I earlier asked about his name with an 'e'. Lazzara is a common name in Tampa, and also some notable Lazzaras involved in organized crime, chiefly Agustine " Primo" Lazzara, who also had a very close relationship with the Marcellos that I glean was more about friendship than business ties. Also note a Ficarotta on the Naturalization paperwork. Very well known Tampa family in the legal community. Ronald FIcarotta is the current chief judge of Hillsborough County.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

sdeitche wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:13 am
Chris Christie wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:52 am Swing and a miss. This Giuseppe Rametta is from Santo Stefano Quisquina, which is right next to Alessandria Della Rocca. Looks like his daughter married a Lazzara.
Capturessq.PNG

I've seen the name Rametta before, which is why I earlier asked about his name with an 'e'. Lazzara is a common name in Tampa, and also some notable Lazzaras involved in organized crime, chiefly Agustine " Primo" Lazzara, who also had a very close relationship with the Marcellos that I glean was more about friendship than business ties. Also note a Ficarotta on the Naturalization paperwork. Very well known Tampa family in the legal community. Ronald FIcarotta is the current chief judge of Hillsborough County.
Interesting that Italians from Oak Street in Tampa were linked to Birmingham. We do not know their ranks or even if they were full fledged members, that information is lost to history. But it does provide us a glimpse of the network the mafia ran on. For instance, these guys Rametta and Vicari, of Santo Stefano Quisquina lived on Oak St. The Cinas/Giglios (Bivona) of the Gambinos under Lupo, who made it to NY from New Orleans by way of Tampa, had Oak St addresses.

Santo Stefano Quisquina, Bivonia and Alessandro Della Rocca all neighbor each other:
tampa.PNG
Again I'm amazed at the American AG faction and how, in NY, they fell under the Gambinos. They had the numbers as early as the 1900's to be their own separate group with a network that spanned across the country, yet the Palermitans and Sciaccatans (Agrigentesi) maintained a long term affiliation in the US. Which makes sense that in the 90's Tampa was said to have "fallen under" the Gambinos.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:00 am
Interesting that Italians from Oak Street in Tampa were linked to Birmingham. We do not know their ranks or even if they were full fledged members, that information is lost to history. But it does provide us a glimpse of the network the mafia ran on. For instance, these guys Rametta and Vicari, of Santo Stefano Quisquina lived on Oak St. The Cinas/Giglios (Bivona) of the Gambinos under Lupo, who made it to NY from New Orleans by way of Tampa, had Oak St addresses.
Yeah, once the "modern Mafia' start to emerge in Tampa, with Ignazio Italiano, you dont see the names of Rametta or Vicari in any reports. A couple Giglios show up.

Of general interest regarding the Italian community in Tampa, this article from 1977 gives a great snapshot history: https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/view ... andtribune
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

sdeitche wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:52 am
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:00 am
Yeah, once the "modern Mafia' start to emerge in Tampa, with Ignazio Italiano, you dont see the names of Rametta or Vicari in any reports. A couple Giglios show up.

Of general interest regarding the Italian community in Tampa, this article from 1977 gives a great snapshot history: https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/cgi/view ... andtribune
That it certainly does. Thanks for posting. I recognize the names, interesting that
The people of the
neighboring villages of Santo Stefano such
as Alessandria Della Rocca (the second
largest number of Italians in Tampa came
from this village). Bivona, Cianciana, -nd
Contessa Entellina were most affected by
those incredible tales. These villages
experienced a virtual exodus.
Today the Italian population of Tampa is
predominantly composed of descendants
from these five villages, with only small
numbers coming from other sections of
Italy.
Tampa, unbeknownst to me, like Philadelphia and Cleveland actually had a long history of Italians going back to 1800-1850. Sicilians began arriving in 1886, first from New Orleans and later on the east coast.