DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofFamily wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:27 am John Scalish who operated Buckeye Cigarette Vending Machine Company. He had machines all over Northeast Ohio - every bar, bowling alley, restaurant - you name it - it was there. Especially in the 1960's.
Buckeye Vending Company is still owned and operated today by the Scalish/Rockman family, it is the dominant provider of vending machines in Northeast Ohio. One thing I know for certain was that Scalish was emphatic that the business stays legit for tax purposes and IRS investigations. Not a dime was skimmed from this business. Rockman's sons and grandsons also own a chain of auto body shops in the greater Cleveland area, they've done quite well.
Last edited by JCB1977 on Wed May 06, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Stroccos wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:33 am
Chris Christie wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 am Yes, looking at I concur, looks like Sam DiCarlo, which is interesting and I wonder if it speaks to a larger trend of DiCarlo affiliation with CL?

I think it something worth looking into
So did DiCarlo retire to fl as well ?
I also found another buffalo guy who was allegedly made in Cleveland Charles casa
Yes, Sam DiCarlo was with his brother and Peanuts Tronolone down in Florida
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Sam DiCarlo was arrested in a gambling raid in 1950, so he was down in Miami at least part time since then. Here are a few pieces on him in Florida:

7-6-1950 Miami News

9-8-1954 Miami News

2-28-1958 Miami News

5-5-1955 Miami Herald

5-5-1955 Miami Herald Continued

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:50 pm
FriendofFamily wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:27 am John Scalish who operated Buckeye Cigarette Vending Machine Company. He had machines all over Northeast Ohio - every bar, bowling alley, restaurant - you name it - it was there. Especially in the 1960's.
Buckeye Vending Company is still owned and operated today by the Scalish/Rockman family, it is the dominant provider of vending machines in Northeast Ohio. One thing I know for certain was that Scalish was emphatic that the business stays legit for tax purposes and IRS investigations. Not a dime was skimmed from this business. Rockman's sons and grandsons also own a chain of auto body shops in the greater Cleveland area, they've done quite well.
I believe rockman sold off his interest in the 80's before he went to prison ,i don't think buckeye even exists anymore in its original form,

its scalishs son who owns the body shop , john scalish and that's his only remaining son , i think one of rockmans son or grandsons has some kind of interest in it i forget ,

scalish only has two kids left a son and daughter, his other son frank died in 01 or so, its confusing they all have the same names, that frank we have on the chart is acutally his newphew
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Stroccos wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:18 pm
I believe rockman sold off his interest in the 80's before he went to prison ,i don't think buckeye even exists anymore in its original form,

its scalishs son who owns the body shop , john scalish and that's his only remaining son , i think one of rockmans son or grandsons has some kind of interest in it i forget ,

scalish only has two kids left a son and daughter, his other son frank died in 01 or so, its confusing they all have the same names, that frank we have on the chart is acutally his newphew
How long ago was Buckeye Vending disbanded, it was still being operated in the 90’s I believe?

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yep, I'm sure that says Sam DiCarlo. Sam DiCarlo was also arrested at the 1928 Cleveland assembly meeting as a representative from Buffalo, so he would have been familiar with the Cleveland mafia long before the DiCarlos left Buffalo.

Has it been confirmed that Joe DiCarlo first moved to Cleveland before Youngstown? This is from a government hearing. If DiCarlo touched down in Cleveland and was then told to go to Youngstown that is an even stronger indication this faction transferred to Cleveland.

Everything that has come out of this discussion points to the DiCarlos and Joseph Pieri joining the Cleveland family. It also explains why John Tronolone became a Cleveland member.

The only mystery is still why the Buffalo underboss made Sam Pieri visit "Pete" in Detroit before going to Youngstown to meet with his brother Joseph. Maybe it wasn't because Joe Pieri reported to "Pete", but simply to carry a message or otherwise keep "Pete" in the loop given the serious problems in Youngstown at the time. If it was Pete Licavoli, his stature in the region was high enough that Buffalo may have wanted to keep him informed of their activities in Ohio, especially because Sam Pieri had a reputation for trouble.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

The Youngstown characters were Jasper Joseph "fats" Aiello, a downtown guy and Dominic "Moosey" Caputo who held a Federal Gaming Stamp that was used at The Jungle Inn.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 6:47 am
Stroccos wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:18 pm

How long ago was Buckeye Vending disbanded, it was still being operated in the 90’s I believe?
not sure
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Found an informant who said Joseph DiCarlo was receiving financial support from Detroit member Joe Massei for a period. This lends itself back to the idea that the DiCarlos and Pieris in Youngstown were actually Detroit members while they were there. Remember the Buffalo leadership told Sam Pieri he had to check in with "Pete" in Detroit before visiting his brother Joe Pieri in Youngstown, who was under a different rappresentante (boss).

It's strange, though, as we have DiCarlo-Pieri's close associate from Buffalo Tronolone ending up with Cleveland while based in Florida (where DiCarlo's Detroit friend Joe Massei also lived). Maybe Tronolone had his own reasons for joining Cleveland instead of Detroit or these guys bounced through a couple of different affiliations after leaving Buffalo.

Between this and Yonnie Licavoli possibly being boss of his own short-lived Toledo family, Ohio is one of the most confusing areas as far as affiliation goes.

Then you have a guy like Charles Cavallaro who was with Pittsburgh, then the Gambino family (possibly while still in Ohio?), and may have ended up with Cleveland later (or back to Pittsburgh?) when he was killed. Or Leo Moceri, who may have been with Detroit, then Toledo and Cleveland, lived in California for years and arranged approval to formally transfer there, but ended up back in Cleveland.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:30 pm Found an informant who said Joseph DiCarlo was receiving financial support from Detroit member Joe Massei for a period. This lends itself back to the idea that the DiCarlos and Pieris in Youngstown were actually Detroit members while they were there. Remember the Buffalo leadership told Sam Pieri he had to check in with "Pete" in Detroit before visiting his brother Joe Pieri in Youngstown, who was under a different rappresentante (boss).

It's strange, though, as we have DiCarlo-Pieri's close associate from Buffalo Tronolone ending up with Cleveland while based in Florida (where DiCarlo's Detroit friend Joe Massei also lived). Maybe Tronolone had his own reasons for joining Cleveland instead of Detroit or these guys bounced through a couple of different affiliations after leaving Buffalo.

Between this and Yonnie Licavoli possibly being boss of his own short-lived Toledo family, Ohio is one of the most confusing areas as far as affiliation goes.

Then you have a guy like Charles Cavallaro who was with Pittsburgh, then the Gambino family (possibly while still in Ohio?), and may have ended up with Cleveland later (or back to Pittsburgh?) when he was killed. Or Leo Moceri, who may have been with Detroit, then Toledo and Cleveland, lived in California for years and arranged approval to formally transfer there, but ended up back in Cleveland.
any idea if yonnie had akron and mansfield under his thumb?

also on a side note in john rubeos sitdwon with Danny Marino jr he asked if the gamblers who were owed money were italian and from youngstown. that may indicate the gambinos have some connection to ohio or they did in the past and can reach out
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Stroccos wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:04 am any idea if yonnie had akron and mansfield under his thumb?

also on a side note in john rubeos sitdwon with Danny Marino jr he asked if the gamblers who were owed money were italian and from youngstown. that may indicate the gambinos have some connection to ohio or they did in the past and can reach out
No clue on where Akron and Mansfield fell in the early days, but Leo Moceri was under his cousin Yonnie Licavoli in Toledo then later moved to Akron, so probably some connection there.

Nice find on the Marino Jr. bit. So it was Marino who asked if the men were Italians from Youngstown? Points to Youngstown still falling into the mafia network somehow. Were the men from Youngstown like he thought?
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 pm
Stroccos wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:04 am any idea if yonnie had akron and mansfield under his thumb?

No clue on where Akron and Mansfield fell in the early days, but Leo Moceri was under his cousin Yonnie Licavoli in Toledo then later moved to Akron, so probably some connection there.

Nice find on the Marino Jr. bit. So it was Marino who asked if the men were Italians from Youngstown? Points to Youngstown still falling into the mafia network somehow. Were the men from Youngstown like he thought?
Yeah it was Marino Jr who asked , no they were from stark county near canton , ironically was a pretty corrupt city at one time as well . he was worried the unpaid gamblers from ohio would go to the feds
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Stroccos wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:00 am

Yeah it was Marino Jr who asked , no they were from stark county near canton , ironically was a pretty corrupt city at one time as well . he was worried the unpaid gamblers from ohio would go to the feds
So Rubeo and Marino Jr.'s gambling operation included players in Ohio? I'm clueless on most of the details of that case aside from the big beats that came out in Gangland, so this is all news to me.

Marino asking if they were Italians from Youngtown would def suggest he had some knowledge of connected people there, otherwise I can't imagine it would make a difference where in Ohio they were from or what their ethnicity was.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

What years for Akron? The very early days was Rosario Borgia. LaFatch Brothers were there 1940's-1970's. I've never come across a document regarding Yonnie in Akron. Mansfield was Tony Mollica (Calabrian) and Columbus, OH was Michele "Mike" D'Angelo.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Toledo was primarily Whitey Besase for decades who was listed as a member of Cleveland but with strong ties to Yonnie and the Detroit Arm

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP