How wiseguys handle prison in 2020

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

How wiseguys handle prison in 2020

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Are mob guys able to mostly keep to themselves in prison? Or are they forced to ally with other groups?

I watched a debriefing of a high ranking Mexican Mafia member that flipped, and he said while he had never worked with Cosa Nostra, he said there were a couple prisons where high ranking members of the Mexican Mafia worked with wiseguys. This was in the late 90s/early 2000s so it’s not too recent. But Mexican Mafia is almost entirely a Southern California/Arizona organization and not many wiseguys do time out west. I’m curious what other groups made guys & associates align with or if they have enough rep where the other groups just leave them alone.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: How wiseguys handle prison in 2020

Post by Wiseguy »

I seem to recall reading Joey Merlino paid the Mexicans to watch his back while he did time in Texas. Supposedly, he had a good relationship with them. If I'm not mistaken, Nicky Scarfo did something similar when he was in prison. The whole Lucchese/Blood thing back in 2007 came about when somebody was trying to strongarm somebody the Pernas knew in prison. The Pernas reached out to a Blood leader to have them back off. Of course, there was the more recent dust up where some Italian mob guys got the better of some Albanians at Danbury. Anyway, from what I can tell, either extreme is false - i.e. the wiseguys don't have full sway of things (like the scene in Goodfellas) but they're not just easy pickings either. Naturally, where a mob guy ends up, and how much of an LCN/Italian presence there is, will play a part.
All roads lead to New York.
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

It all depends on how money a wiseguy has coming into prison. Joe "the German" Watts from the Gambino family has sway because he pays any half ass nitwit who wants money in his commissary or to be able to send back home to watch out for him. Never mind in Gravano's book he was turning into a rat - the person with the most toys (money) wins in any situation - prison or out in the street.
CTamg65
Straightened out

Post by CTamg65 »

In fed spots up and down the east coast Italians chill with other whites and mostly Italians a lot of Italians chill play handball ,workout, go to the chow hall together and look out for each other ....mostly all fed joints you Mainly associate with your race, but it's a fact that most Italians stick together . Now in the West coast spots it's a little different there are Way more Mexicans and things are a little different with way less Italians
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

In state prison here in Jersey the Bloods ( Black Gangs) run the show , which is unique because in most state prisons across America the Aryan Blood groups run the show.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

CTamg65 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am In fed spots up and down the east coast Italians chill with other whites and mostly Italians a lot of Italians chill play handball ,workout, go to the chow hall together and look out for each other ....mostly all fed joints you Mainly associate with your race, but it's a fact that most Italians stick together . Now in the West coast spots it's a little different there are Way more Mexicans and things are a little different with way less Italians
State prisons too, there may be more Mafia members in fed places than state ones, but going back a hundred years or more race and ethnicity was always a factor in who guys hung out with. Neighborhood they come from is another. In New Jersey and New York state prisons Italians who are Mafia or non Mafia mix with other White inmates, yet are still the overwhelming minority in most spots. As for wise guys going to prison and paying protection I think that is put out by LE to make them sound weak. All inmates with money will tend to help out those they are friends with on things like commissary, but they don't get shaken down. I think this all started after Gotti went to prison and the feds kept saying he payed off inmates for protection, and even got at least one rat (an AB member) to back them up. I know it's been told and repeated so often people clutch to it, but Gotti would have seen it as being weak.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

today i think location, combined with the type of facility, dictates everything. a USP on the west coast would most likely follow California’s state system politics where you’re automatically segregated by race and there are 4 gangs that set the tone and policy. or a USP in Texas would probably be a much tougher place to do time at, compared to a FCI or a low on the east coast or midwest where everyone is all mixed up and theres no real political ‘program’ or rules set by the respective races.

just judging by recent indictments and the types of plea deals these guys have been getting lately, it seems like a bulk of them are going to low or medium security FCI’s relatively close to home, as also evidenced by tons of pics on IG of groups of guys hanging out together, looking fresh with sneakers and watches, etc...

the FBI released it’s “vault” files on the Aryan Brotherhood, centered around the late 70s and early 80s, right around the time they “went federal” and members from the Cali system started popping up in the feds. its an interesting read.

as far back as 1980 it said there was a plan to “partner” with LCN and offer prominent members in the fed system protection (in exchanged for money, drugs, and financing for business ventures) and also the AB wanted to put together a team of 6-7 guys designated to do hits for LCN members, in prison, for money. the idea was discussed and developed with apparently a “high ranking LCN member” whos name was redacted in the files, but this was 1980, so it wasnt Gotti. AFAIK it was Ernie Boy Abbamonte, but i could be wrong.

the AB “extorting” Gotti was overblown, but i will say that the plot to murder Walter Johnson WAS included as a predicate act in the big AB rico indictment 20 years ago. the feds apparently felt that there was enough evidence there of them actually seeking revenge for Gotti and going far enough to plan the hit, that they put it in the indictment.
West Coast1
Straightened out

Post by West Coast1 »

I think it's basically Mexican vs Black in the cages and on the streets these days.

even if you aren't either category, you are kind of lumped in.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Pennsylvania State Prison must be absolute hell for Anthony Nicodemo.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

NJShore4Life wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:58 am Pennsylvania State Prison must be absolute hell for Anthony Nicodemo.
He must be one tough Sob to be taking this on the chin like he is... gotta give the guy credit
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

I was reading what a dude in Canada explained, that up there, skin means little on the yard or in the streets. If skin means nothing, you gotta wonder what blood is worth then?

I don’t see that happening in the States.
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
116street
Straightened out

Post by 116street »

NJShore4Life wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:58 am Pennsylvania State Prison must be absolute hell for Anthony Nicodemo.
What makes that prison such a hell hole, shore?
Gabagool718
Straightened out

Post by Gabagool718 »

I’m sure he’s holdin it down wise guys still get a lot of respect in the can these black dude fawn over that type of shit lol plus nicks is no scrub either he’s solid as a rock street dude to the bone not many left out there in 2020
Gabagool718
Straightened out

Post by Gabagool718 »

116street wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:09 pm
Any state prison is a complete shit hole compared to the federal facilities
116street
Straightened out

Post by 116street »

Gabagool718 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:35 pm
116street wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:09 pm
Any state prison is a complete shit hole compared to the federal facilities
Thanks

I live in a country where prisons have art, restricted Internett, good food and stylish architecture. Guess it still sucks to be a prisoner though. That’s why i’m curious what defines a shithole prison?;)