Being a mobster in 2020?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

gohnjotti
Full Patched

Re: Being a mobster in 2020?

Post by gohnjotti »

aleksandrored wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 pm This topic gave me a doubt, is there a guy who joined the mafia in the 1990s/2000s and who did well, like the old mobsters?
I don’t get it, do you want specific examples? There have been plenty, I guess you could cite Frank Camuso as your pick of the week.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

gohnjotti wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 pm This topic gave me a doubt, is there a guy who joined the mafia in the 1990s/2000s and who did well, like the old mobsters?
I don’t get it, do you want specific examples? There have been plenty, I guess you could cite Frank Camuso as your pick of the week.
Thanks man
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

I find this an interesting topic. Most of the posts are right. There is no single factor that makes someone go into the life. I grew up in the Bronx in the 70's 80's and 90's. My Dad was half a wiseguy and made a ton of money in his day. He was dead set against me going into the life. He really forced me to go to school and get an education, and I'm very grateful for that. I am a quasi successful healthcare entrepreneur and make a very good living. If I had WANTED to go into the life, it was there, and nothing he could have said would have dissuaded me, but I saw the way things were and was absolutely positive I could do better on my own.
Interesting story.....when my father died, I had to go and take care of his things....and in doing so, I had to deal with his old associates, who I knew growing up. I was always around them, they saw me grow up and knew me very well. But in the end, nobody and I mean nobody came forward to help when things got sticky, as I might have alluded to in past posts either here or on the other board. I had to handle everything by myself. So a lifelong friend suggested "why don't you go to Patsy and see if you can get this stuff straightened out"......I looked at him like he had 3 heads. The LAST thing I needed was a guy who would move in on my business and maybe even bust it out. I told him he was fucking crazy.
In the end I played it like a legitimate guy, which is what I was....and came out OK. Better in fact than a lot of guys who went in and tried to either "go with it" or "fight it".
What I might also add, is that there is a definite "mindset" growing up in this background. It's almost like being brainwashed. When you come from this environment, oftentimes you don't even think of acting in a lawful way. If you grow up doing illegal or illegitimate things, that becomes the norm. Park on the sidewalk? Why not....Smack someone for talking to you disrespectfully?....of course. These things are kneejerk responses. I think of the young Henry Hill selling cigarettes who tells the cop, "no, it's OK....really, it's OK". That's the mentality.
I thank whatever god there is that I was smart enough to NOT get into that life and make my own, which can't be arbitrarily taken away by anybody.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

aleksandrored wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:58 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 pm
Thanks man
I do agree that the types of mobsters that go from cradle to grave with no jail-time are over, however. I'm sure there are still plenty of modern-day mobsters who are pretty successful in their line of work. The Colombos' Thomas Scorcia made it to 52 years old, with hundreds of thousands of dollars in loansharking money on the street, before he got his first arrest.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Jimmy Napoli
Straightened out

Post by Jimmy Napoli »

I am from Europe,small country at south(sorry for my bad english),and here in south and east Europe is best way to get in politics if you want to make a money and never be caught.White collar crimes(coruptions,extortion,garbage,unions) is in all Europe still very active if you are in politics.And nobody never get caught.For us regular people,here is bank and jewelery robbery still good job(500k € is enough to go in legal bussines) and if they caught you,2-4 years maximum.In Usa for same crime is at least 20 y if I am not wrong.Drugs are big no no,everywhere.I will not mention former Soviet states,there is wild west.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

LCN in the year 2020 can be boiled down now to just a neighborhood phenomenom here in Jersey, Staten Island, Jersey Shore, Long Island, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Westchester, and South Philly of 3rd-4th generation Italian-Americans who are all from the same neighborhood and/or related somehow (via marriage or blood) who all know every single thing about each other and whose families know everything about each other. It is hard for me to clearly explain to you on here if you are not from the area and get what I am trying to convey. It's basically a neighborhood social club of Italian-Americans who run gambling and help each other out with certain members holding a higher status on the pecking order than others. These guys arent influencing national labor unions or anything like that, trust me not in the year 2020.
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

NJShore4Life wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:20 am LCN in the year 2020 can be boiled down now to just a neighborhood phenomenom here in Jersey, Staten Island, Jersey Shore, Long Island, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Westchester, and South Philly of 3rd-4th generation Italian-Americans who are all from the same neighborhood and/or related somehow (via marriage or blood) who all know every single thing about each other and whose families know everything about each other. It is hard for me to clearly explain to you on here if you are not from the area and get what I am trying to convey. It's basically a neighborhood social club of Italian-Americans who run gambling and help each other out with certain members holding a higher status on the pecking order than others. These guys arent influencing national labor unions or anything like that, trust me not in the year 2020.
100% correct. in my neighborhood its all 2nd/3rd gen families of mobsters hanging and "operating" together. each generation is weaker than the one before. I even see different "families" together. problem is these younger guys were raised by idiot sons of gangsters. there just as dumb. my point being none of these 3/4th generation grandson/cousins whatever would ever have been doctors or lawyers etc. maybe its because they are raised in families who worship the "streets? but haven't been in them for 3 generations. its make believe. the original guys were starving. this was for survival. than it became more. the Russians/Albanians are in it for survival. not a kid who grew up in an 800k house with everything handed to him because a mobbed up relative built a name and some money up for his future kids/grandkids.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

I was thinking, we talked about how weak the LCN is compared to past times, and how it is not so good to be a member today, but what about in Italy? does it pay to be a member of the Sicilian mafia? I believe that in the 80s and 90s it was very agitated and violent, and how will it be today in the post Riina and Provenzano era?
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

Italy honestly I have no clue. not up on their operations or structure. a lot of noise on some of these mob sites about whats going on over there but I never paid much attention
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:12 am I was thinking, we talked about how weak the LCN is compared to past times, and how it is not so good to be a member today, but what about in Italy? does it pay to be a member of the Sicilian mafia? I believe that in the 80s and 90s it was very agitated and violent, and how will it be today in the post Riina and Provenzano era?
Maybe not right now with this virus running rampart there. But I’d imagine it pays more to be a member of the mob in Italy compared to the mob here in America. Even before this virus, Italy was facing extreme economic downturn, it’s part of the reason why they were the first G7 nation to sponsor China’s Belt and Road initiative because they believed if China helps them develop their infrastructure it would help pull their economy out of it’s hole. Point being, if many people joined the mob to survive back in the day, to make a name for themselves and make money for their family’s future, then that is likely still the situation in Italy and so I would say if you come from a particularly poor village then it pays to be a member.
It’s Blood alone, that moves the wheels of history
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

queensnyer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:22 am I make 150k a year with a nice union job and bennies. no worries, what avg street guy can compete with that..
What do you do and how do you get started in that?
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

im a foreman with a construction union in nyc, go to the dol website and keep an eye out for recruitments. current coronavirus situation is me and many more are home at the moment. ive got 14 years in and worked woth the right people but even regular journeyman who hustle can make 100k easy
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:12 am I was thinking, we talked about how weak the LCN is compared to past times, and how it is not so good to be a member today, but what about in Italy? does it pay to be a member of the Sicilian mafia? I believe that in the 80s and 90s it was very agitated and violent, and how will it be today in the post Riina and Provenzano era?
The Sicilian mafia is fairly weak today. It seems like the Italian state has been good at cracking down hard on oc, with strict laws like 41-bis. So I would not want to be a member in italy right now.

Canada seems the best place to be given the lax laws against oc.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

stubbs wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:16 am
The Sicilian mafia is fairly weak today. It seems like the Italian state has been good at cracking down hard on oc, with strict laws like 41-bis. So I would not want to be a member in italy right now.

Canada seems the best place to be given the lax laws against oc.
although is right the italian state weakened the sicilian mob and there are hard laws, they are still very powerful and rich, i doubt a boss in canada is even close to a mafia boss in italy concerning the level of power in his territory
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

The Italy is different from the Canada or the US. Now with the quarantine many people that was working illegaly and cosa nostra men are robbing markets and distribute food for give the inmate that the State cant provide to the poors but only them.
What damaged US mafia is that the young generations doesnt want to made long sentences knowing that can flip and rebuilt a life in a another place without consequences.
In Canada is difference and the are still the ties with the old country and second generation italians have more opportunity to made cash in the "life".