The Peppermint Lounge

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Peppermint
Full Patched

Re: The Peppermint Lounge

Post by Peppermint »

Going to try writing a screenplay, based on the book. About the Peppermint Lounge, my Great Grandfather, and their role in the Mafia. However, I don’t want it to be based entirely on information just from the book, naturally I want to make it my own.

So I was wondering if anyone happens to know anything more about the Peppermint Lounge and it’s mafia history? Nothing exclusively about my great grandfather, my family can source me all that information. But I need more about the rest of it, and I can’t seem to find any anywhere online, and other than what I have shared about it, which is mostly from the book, there doesn’t seem to be anything about it. Not even in any of the Genovese threads, and they are the crime family that centered around the Peppermint at the time.

Anything anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated
It’s Blood alone, that moves the wheels of history
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

Wasn't a guy named Scotto in charge and running the place in the 80's when it reopened?
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

Bruno187 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:36 am Wasn't a guy named Scotto in charge and running the place in the 80's when it reopened?
I’m not entirely sure, beyond Matty the Horse who took over after it closed from losing it’s liquor license in 1965. Matty reopened the original location shortly after, and ran it until 1978, before finally closing it’s doors again but for good. I think the Miami location however continued on into the 80’s, because Johnny Biello intended for that one to be legit. Is the Miami location the one you are referring to?

I remember seeing photos online of David Bowie taken in 1980’s, allegedly in the Peppermint, that is probably the one you’re talking about. Because my Great Grandfather Louie Lombardi obviously didn’t know David Bowie. And his location closed for in 1965, before closing for good in 1978 after Matty The Horse took over.

I am sure there have been various Peppermint Lounges though that have popped up all over the place over the years, some that became less famous versions of the original two (NYC and Miami, both Johnny Biello, Louie Lombardi was in charge of the NYC location) and others that didn’t become a hit at all. The place was highly influential, and still is and people don’t even realize it.
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

No....I was thinking of the original on 45th and Broadway. It was the 80-86 iteration of it. A friend of mine from school's father had something to do with it, and we all thought he ran it since he hired a bunch of guys to bounce there over the years. Could have been fronting for somebody else. I never asked too many questions.
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

Bruno187 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:13 am No....I was thinking of the original on 45th and Broadway. It was the 80-86 iteration of it. A friend of mine from school's father had something to do with it, and we all thought he ran it since he hired a bunch of guys to bounce there over the years. Could have been fronting for somebody else. I never asked too many questions.
That’s incredibly interesting, besides the fact my family doesn’t speak about it beyond my great grandfather’s era. There is like no information, none at least that I could find, beyond Matty The Horse’s era. Anything I have found, including my own family’s account has the Peppermint Lounge closing it’s doors for good in 1978.

Now that I think about it, there was one that opened in the 80’s, however at 100 5th Avenue not 128 W 45th street, which is where the original stood. After the original closed for good, it was torn down. I am pretty sure the 80’s iteration was not mobbed up, but I could be wrong of course.

Perhaps someone else here knows more than I do, that could give you a better answer. Because that is as far as I know.
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

Just to clarify for anyone who is only just now reading this thread, my great grandfather is Louie Lombardi, not Lou Lombardo, I was mistaken and must have misheard my Uncle when he told me his alias.

I’ll be visiting my Aunt, and the same Uncle in California in July. So anyone who wants to see original photos, not those that can be found on google, such as the ones I posted. I’ll have access to them then, and will share them. Especially the most exceptional one, the photo of him with Jackie Kennedy.
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

Peppermint wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:26 pm
Bruno187 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:13 am No....I was thinking of the original on 45th and Broadway. It was the 80-86 iteration of it. A friend of mine from school's father had something to do with it, and we all thought he ran it since he hired a bunch of guys to bounce there over the years. Could have been fronting for somebody else. I never asked too many questions.
That’s incredibly interesting, besides the fact my family doesn’t speak about it beyond my great grandfather’s era. There is like no information, none at least that I could find, beyond Matty The Horse’s era. Anything I have found, including my own family’s account has the Peppermint Lounge closing it’s doors for good in 1978.

Now that I think about it, there was one that opened in the 80’s, however at 100 5th Avenue not 128 W 45th street, which is where the original stood. After the original closed for good, it was torn down. I am pretty sure the 80’s iteration was not mobbed up, but I could be wrong of course.

Perhaps someone else here knows more than I do, that could give you a better answer. Because that is as far as I know.
You are right about the location....I spoke to one of my friends who worked there and he confirmed that it was the Fifth Avenue location.
But the guy who was running it was Scotto (no relation to the Gambino Scotto)
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

Bruno187 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:33 am
Peppermint wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:26 pm

You are right about the location....I spoke to one of my friends who worked there and he confirmed that it was the Fifth Avenue location.
But the guy who was running it was Scotto (no relation to the Gambino Scotto)
You should totally find out more, if you can. You’ve definitely peaked my interest. Because the one you mention was a hit as well, I’m certain that’s the one that saw all the famous faces of the 80’s like David Bowie, and Eddie Murphy. I just wonder if this one, and my great grandfather’s has any genuine affiliation as far as being made in the shade is concerned
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Peppermint wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:57 am Going to try writing a screenplay, based on the book. About the Peppermint Lounge, my Great Grandfather, and their role in the Mafia. However, I don’t want it to be based entirely on information just from the book, naturally I want to make it my own.

So I was wondering if anyone happens to know anything more about the Peppermint Lounge and it’s mafia history? Nothing exclusively about my great grandfather, my family can source me all that information. But I need more about the rest of it, and I can’t seem to find any anywhere online, and other than what I have shared about it, which is mostly from the book, there doesn’t seem to be anything about it. Not even in any of the Genovese threads, and they are the crime family that centered around the Peppermint at the time.

Good luck writing a screenplay based on a book that you probably don’t own the rights too. That isn’t how that works.
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

Raven wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm
Peppermint wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:57 am Going to try writing a screenplay, based on the book. About the Peppermint Lounge, my Great Grandfather, and their role in the Mafia. However, I don’t want it to be based entirely on information just from the book, naturally I want to make it my own.

Good luck writing a screenplay based on a book that you probably don’t own the rights too. That isn’t how that works.
Wasn’t basing it off the book, the book is just reference for information. But I’m sure I could get the rights if needed, I been in contact with the author, who mind you was very pleased to have heard from me because of who my great grandfather was.

But thanks
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Who was he? Because I’ve read the book and don’t remember him being prominent in it at all. You make a lot of assumptions based on a few mentions in a book.
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

Raven wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:53 am Who was he? Because I’ve read the book and don’t remember him being prominent in it at all. You make a lot of assumptions based on a few mentions in a book.
You think I’m just getting my information solely from the book? Because I didn’t even know this book existed until I joined these forums only a few months ago. I just praise the book, because my great grandfather being written about in the book and not to mention being on the cover with the goddamn beetles, confirms to me my family’s accounts about him.

I’ve been getting information from my family now residing in California, who have nothing but photographs of my Great Grandfather with all kinds of prominent figures of that era. Celebrities, politicians, and future First Lady’s don’t take photographs at high profile clubs like the Peppermint was at it’s time, with nobodies and act like that nobody is somebody important for no reason.

I’ve been getting my information directly from Joey D, who’s band the Starlighters became famous from creating the Twist and performing there and knew my Great Grandfather, and his grandson my Uncle Dennis personally.

I’ve also recently been in contact with Joel Selvin, who’s one of the authors of the book. Who actually has been helping me in going about finding out more, things my family probably didn’t even know about my great grandfather, though I haven’t followed up with him due to everything that’s been going on in the country I been distracted with other research more relevant to that.

It’s fine that you think I’m just making assumptions, I don’t have anything to back any of this up with at the moment other than what I could find on google, and that’s my fault. I should be in California right now, where I would be able to access all the proof of everything I’m talking about, which I said in this thread I would have by now. But the pandemic happened, and I had to cancel my trip.

This thread isn’t even relevant until I can back it up, so why are we even resurrecting this now? So you can look like an asshole later? I don’t get it.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Have you read the book? It’s a pretty good one I just don't remember Lombardi/Lombardo being in it much at all and nothing in it to indicate he was made or anything of that sort.
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

Raven wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:13 pm Have you read the book? It’s a pretty good one I just don't remember Lombardi/Lombardo being in it much at all and nothing in it to indicate he was made or anything of that sort.
It’s Lombardi, I just heard my Uncle wrong and thought it was Lombardo.

I haven’t gotten around to it yet, no. Oddly, I enjoy writing but I have zero attention span when it comes to reading a book. I do want to read it, I just don’t want to start something I don’t think I’ll ever end up finishing.

But I don’t know for sure if he was made or not, I can’t see why a mere associate would be on the cover of a book that is hardly even about them. Just also based on everything my family has told me, and personally showed me about him that indicated to me he must’ve been made. None of us even know what exactly happened to him after the club was transferred to the ownership of Matty The Horse, he kind of just vanished as far as I’m concerned because the family story ends there. That’s the whole reason I joined these forums in the first place, I figured if anyone would know anything it would be you guys. Even my other sources, reach a dead end about him with anything beyond the Peppermint Lounge.

My apologies on the snarky attitude by the way, I was expecting you to come at me about him like Cheech did. I didn’t think you were actually engaging me seriously.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Peppermint wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:46 pm
Raven wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:13 pm Have you read the book? It’s a pretty good one I just don't remember Lombardi/Lombardo being in it much at all and nothing in it to indicate he was made or anything of that sort.
It’s Lombardi, I just heard my Uncle wrong and thought it was Lombardo.

I haven’t gotten around to it yet, no. Oddly, I enjoy writing but I have zero attention span when it comes to reading a book. I do want to read it, I just don’t want to start something I don’t think I’ll ever end up finishing.

But I don’t know for sure if he was made or not, I can’t see why a mere associate would be on the cover of a book that is hardly even about them. Just also based on everything my family has told me, and personally showed me about him that indicated to me he must’ve been made. None of us even know what exactly happened to him after the club was transferred to the ownership of Matty The Horse, he kind of just vanished as far as I’m concerned because the family story ends there. That’s the whole reason I joined these forums in the first place, I figured if anyone would know anything it would be you guys. Even my other sources, reach a dead end about him with anything beyond the Peppermint Lounge.

My apologies on the snarky attitude by the way, I was expecting you to come at me about him like Cheech did. I didn’t think you were actually engaging me seriously.
No worries, it is a pretty good book. You can probably get it at the library as well. The author talks about Johnny Biello having “made” brothers but I have never seen that said anywhere else. Been curious if it’s true.