General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Targenmantarian
Straightened out

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Targenmantarian »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm
Targenmantarian wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:28 am
Who pays the Consigliere?

Clearly it's a lucrative position if it's number three. But with no soldiers under them it would seem that they'd need to get broken off some other way.
I believe the entire administration gets a cut from the captains below them. Not just the boss.
You think Massino just paid Vitale a measly salary since he forbade him from having any Captains kick up to him?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Vitale oversaw some gambling rackets for Massino (believe it was video poker machines) so I imagine he got a cut of that. If I remember right he also had his own loansharking operation going which was what he was indicted for in 2002.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

Casso said the consigliere was allowed to have 1 soldier under him. He answered to Christy Tick when he was consigliere.

Not sure if that was unique to the Lucchese family or not.
Never heard any of the other families that had this arrangement.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
Targenmantarian
Straightened out

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm Vitale oversaw some gambling rackets for Massino (believe it was video poker machines) so I imagine he got a cut of that. If I remember right he also had his own loansharking operation going which was what he was indicted for in 2002.

Pogo
I knew he had something.

He was just widely considered the weakest underboss of the five families during his era if I read correctly.
IrishDave
Straightened out

Post by IrishDave »

Targenmantarian wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:25 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm Vitale oversaw some gambling rackets for Massino (believe it was video poker machines) so I imagine he got a cut of that. If I remember right he also had his own loansharking operation going which was what he was indicted for in 2002.

Pogo
I knew he had something.

He was just widely considered the weakest underboss of the five families during his era if I read correctly.
Definitely weak at the end of his run. But when Massino was hiding out, in prison, and then on restrictions wasn't Sal the de facto boss? Or was he just tolerated and Spero was really in power?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

He was but that was before they had their little fallout. Massino stripped him of a lot of his power after he got out in the early 1990s. Though Vitale was still heavily involved after that.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Targenmantarian
Straightened out

I think he was Joe's messenger and the more experienced Capo's executed the orders.

People hated him cause they knew he had never done time and ridden coattails and that he was literally just the bosses mouthpiece as opposed to a power in his own right.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

He did attend Commission meetings, passed membership lists to other families, organized the hit on George Sciascia, was the point man with the Montreal Crew and the other families, etc. so he was still a major player despite being stripped of some of his power.

Pogo
Targenmantarian
Straightened out

It's weird he was considered so reviled then.

Although there's a lotta revisionist history with rat narratives and narratives about rats. So maybe he wasn't as contemptible as he was depicted until he gets flipped and a bunch of other flipped guys dished on how much they hated him.

You see that shit a lot. He maybe was more valued than post cooperation accounts paint him to be.

D'Arco
Cicale
Leonetti
Caramandi

All paint people in certain lights.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Was Ron Previte actually made?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Slumpy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:48 pm Was Ron Previte actually made?

He didn't go throw a ceremony but he was recognized as a made member.

Pogo
Targenmantarian
Straightened out

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:08 pm
Slumpy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:48 pm Was Ron Previte actually made?

He didn't go throw a ceremony but he was recognized as a made member.

Pogo
Besides Previte and Fiato and Rizzitelo are there any other guys who were known as made but whose ceremonies were bunk or incomplete?
IrishDave
Straightened out

Post by IrishDave »

Rizzitello wasn't acknowledged? Even if Fratianno's role as acting boss is in question, Bompensiero was number 3 and Dragna was an acting boss.

Tony DelMonti? Cleveland guy who was working for the FBI. Caught on a wire with a Bonanno capo telling him he was made and that they would have a ceremony later.
Targenmantarian
Straightened out

IrishDave wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:29 pm Rizzitello wasn't acknowledged? Even if Fratianno's role as acting boss is in question, Bompensiero was number 3 and Dragna was an acting boss.

Tony DelMonti? Cleveland guy who was working for the FBI. Caught on a wire with a Bonanno capo telling him he was made and that they would have a ceremony later.
He was acknowledged.

He just got made in a car.

And Fiato got made in a restaurant. They just told him he was in.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Most, if not all, of Chicago guys were made without an actual ceremony. A lot of the DeCavalcante guys didn't go through the traditional ceremony until Gotti found out and made them go through it again. For a long time the Bonannos didn't use a traditional ceremony either. I guess you could count them as incomplete ceremonies.

Pogo