General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

StandUpGuy
Straightened out

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by StandUpGuy »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:35 am I am in the process of developing one
Great :!: looking forward to reading it.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Frank wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 am
JeremyTheJew wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 pm Can I get a quick second thought on Johnny Gambino being made in Sicily??

I thought only Rosario or maybe even the other brother was Sicilian amico nostra
Most info points to only Rosario being made in Sicily
That's kinda what I thought....
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Who was Armand assante character in American Gangster supposed to be??

Ik Matty Madonna was Nicky Barnes supplier but Lucas was getting his stuff directly from Vietnam thru general Roberts aka general heroin.

So who is assante represent?? Genovese fam??
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Sorry no it was general Ike Atkinson in Vietnam
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

LeeClaire wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:40 pm 3. What are the differences in the duties/functions/operations between an underboss and consigliere?

4. Would a captain keep running their crew day-to-day if they were promoted to underboss/consigliere?
Historically, the underboss and consigliere positions arguably carried equal weight, with different responsibilities, in the family, but now the consigliere role has more transitioned to a de facto number three position. While an underboss was appointed by the boss to act as a general buffer, street boss and second-in-command lined up to take over, at least in the immediate sense, should something happen to the boss, the consigliere was elected, like the boss, as a neutral arbitrator to settle family disputes and advise the boss. In Philadelphia when the consigliere Frank Monte was given the responsibility to handle the contract on Harry Riccobene, Riccobene had Monte killed in retaliation because he viewed Monte's involvement in organising murders as a violation of his role as consigliere.

Though not the case all the time, both positions have been known to have crews of soldiers reporting directly to them. Philadelphia is more my area of expertise, I remember reading that in the New York families at times the consigliere was allowed to have one soldier reporting direct to them. In Philadelphia the boss and underboss historically had soldiers reporting direct to them and when Antonio Caponigro became consigliere the soldiers in the family from Newark were officially assigned to him. When Philip Leonetti was promoted from capo to underboss his crew continued to report directly to him, so capos retaining their crews has happened but generally rarer than simply promoting a new capo to run the crew or having its members split up among other crews.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:07 am Who was Armand assante character in American Gangster supposed to be??

Ik Matty Madonna was Nicky Barnes supplier but Lucas was getting his stuff directly from Vietnam thru general Roberts aka general heroin.

Fictional character as Lucas was still buying kilos from the mafia. The movie was mostly BS ( but Ike did set up that Vietnam connect - not FL ). It was actually an East Harlem Italian H wholesaler who Lucas beat for $300K that dimed him out to NY LE. Lucas was allegedly a terrible payer and the guy he beat put out a contract on him . Unfortunately for him the hit man was a DEA informant, they popped him and then he rolled on FL
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

TommyNoto wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:06 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:07 am Who was Armand assante character in American Gangster supposed to be??

Fictional character as Lucas was still buying kilos from the mafia. The movie was mostly BS ( but Ike did set up that Vietnam connect - not FL ). It was actually an East Harlem Italian H wholesaler who Lucas beat for $300K that dimed him out to NY LE. Lucas was allegedly a terrible payer and the guy he beat put out a contract on him . Unfortunately for him the hit man was a DEA informant, they popped him and then he rolled on FL
Lucas was buying kilos from the mafia??
Which fam?
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:22 pm

Which fam?
Yes , East Harlem/ Bronx , I think the guys name was Anthony Servino but would have to re watch the show where this was discussed ( Capture or Kill )
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

TommyNoto wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:29 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:22 pm

Which fam?
Yes , East Harlem/ Bronx , I think the guys name was Anthony Servino but would have to re watch the show where this was discussed ( Capture or Kill )
The east Harlem crew in Genovese??
Or lukes Bronx team u think??

Also FYI.... in the MR UNTOUCHABLE DVD Nicky and Frank r talking and and Nicky tells him "ya well u were just the boss in Harlem.... I had all the Burroughs." Lucas didn't really fight back.

If u think about that....
That's a HUGE difference. Comparing a capo to a boss....
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Was Goodfellas a real term used by LCN or was it created by the movie? I know there was that wiretap of Sal Profaci using the term but that was after Goodfellas was a huge hit. I don't remember If any used the term before that.

Pogo
Last edited by Pogo The Clown on Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

it was a term before the movie
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:49 pm Was Goodfellas a real term used by LCN or was it created by the movie? I know there was that wiretap of Sal Profaci using the term but that was after Goodfellas was a huge hit. I don't remember If any used the term before that.

Pogo
It was a street term used by, for lack of a better word "Underworld" types as far back as the early 1900's, and adopted by the Mafia as a way to describe someone with them or in a family. In a book written around 1910, a fairly small time thief who was Chinese _American and a pickpocket used the term goodfella in his bio.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks for the info,

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

bert wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:53 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:49 pm Was Goodfellas a real term used by LCN or was it created by the movie? I know there was that wiretap of Sal Profaci using the term but that was after Goodfellas was a huge hit. I don't remember If any used the term before that.

Pogo
It was a street term used by, for lack of a better word "Underworld" types as far back as the early 1900's, and adopted by the Mafia as a way to describe someone with them or in a family. In a book written around 1910, a fairly small time thief who was Chinese _American and a pickpocket used the term goodfella in his bio.

Wasn't the term actually Wiseguy which is also the book title for Goodfellas??