General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

aleksandrored
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by aleksandrored »

Guys I saw this in another topic and I got a doubt: the books were closed in 1931-1950 and 1957-1975, that's right?
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

When, if ever, will the Feds ever release the juiciest bugs

I mean imagine the palma boys big.....I would pay good money to hear that.
Or Castellano’s house, or the jag bugs.....are we waiting for everyone and their descendants to die first?

Or even all the big hearings....we’ve got 40 secs of Accardo saying ‘no sir....yes sir’ there must be a treasure chest of goodies overflowing somewhere........
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

aleksandrored wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 am Guys I saw this in another topic and I got a doubt: the books were closed in 1931-1950 and 1957-1975, that's right?
Hard to believe the NY families would have been able to stay as large as they did if they were only able to initiate members for 7 years out of 44.

I think there is enough evidence to back up the books being closed from 1957-1974/75 but not sure about 1931-1950. Maybe Pogo could list a bunch of guys who got made in the 30's and 40's.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

The books were closed after the Castellammarese War in 1931 and opened again in the mid 1940s. Possibly on a limited basis. It seems that the large scale inductions began in 1954-57.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

So can we say that more or less after WWII the books were opened again?
Did this large-scale induction of 1954-1957 have to do with Frank Scalice selling membership?
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am The old timers were not happy with the quality of recruit being being brought in AND they feared that the ranks of Cosa Nostra had been breached by police informers and even undercover agents themselves. PLUS, in those days (with so many good recruits around compared with today), after having brought in a certain number of men, and reaching the respective quota’s each Family had. Their membership limit in other words, Cosa Nostra typically closed ranks anyway..... that’s how it operated in the past as well. After the inductions decades earlier they had ceased for several years as well. 1930’s into the 1940’s period. And as stated above there was rumor of Frank Scalise AND Anastasia selling buttons..... so that only added to the mix. and is turned out to be a long hiatus. Over twenty years!
-
Now, with the recruitment pool having shrunk so much, the books are more Wide open....bringing such low quality recruits that it’s almost a bad joke today what Cosa Nostra has become.....if the old timers could see the shit today that qualifies for membership, they’d turn over in their graves!
I read a wiretapped conversation of Tony Salerno and Tony Corallo complaining about the quality of inductees in the 70s and 80s. I can only imagine what they would think about some of these wankster, white rapper wannabes being recruited today.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

aleksandrored wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:52 pm So can we say that more or less after WWII the books were opened again?
Did this large-scale induction of 1954-1957 have to do with Frank Scalice selling membership?

Yes new members were being inducted after WW2. Don't think the large scale inductions had anything to do with Scalise since all the NY families were indicting large numbers of new members.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

TallGuy19 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:05 am
maxiestern11 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:52 am The old timers were not happy with the quality of recruit being being brought in AND they feared that the ranks of Cosa Nostra had been breached by police informers and even undercover agents themselves. PLUS, in those days (with so many good recruits around compared with today), after having brought in a certain number of men, and reaching the respective quota’s each Family had. Their membership limit in other words, Cosa Nostra typically closed ranks anyway..... that’s how it operated in the past as well. After the inductions decades earlier they had ceased for several years as well. 1930’s into the 1940’s period. And as stated above there was rumor of Frank Scalise AND Anastasia selling buttons..... so that only added to the mix. and is turned out to be a long hiatus. Over twenty years!
-
Now, with the recruitment pool having shrunk so much, the books are more Wide open....bringing such low quality recruits that it’s almost a bad joke today what Cosa Nostra has become.....if the old timers could see the shit today that qualifies for membership, they’d turn over in their graves!
I read a wiretapped conversation of Tony Salerno and Tony Corallo complaining about the quality of inductees in the 70s and 80s. I can only imagine what they would think about some of these wankster, white rapper wannabes being recruited today.
can slightly recall that bug fat Tony saying I made them all and they don't even put there nicknames on the lists any more.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:47 am
aleksandrored wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:52 pm So can we say that more or less after WWII the books were opened again?

Yes new members were being inducted after WW2. Don't think the large scale inductions had anything to do with Scalise since all the NY families were indicting large numbers of new members.

Pogo
Thanks bro.

Speaking of ceremony, one thing left me in doubt, Charles Luciano is listed as done in 1919 and Joe Masseria in 1920/1921, it made me confused, I thought Luciano worked for Masseria when he was already a member, and Masseria after being a made member, became chief the following year in 1922? It all confused me.
Lefty_Ruggiero
Straightened out

Post by Lefty_Ruggiero »

Ozgoz wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:31 am When, if ever, will the Feds ever release the juiciest bugs

I mean imagine the palma boys big.....I would pay good money to hear that.
Or Castellano’s house, or the jag bugs.....are we waiting for everyone and their descendants to die first?

Or even all the big hearings....we’ve got 40 secs of Accardo saying ‘no sir....yes sir’ there must be a treasure chest of goodies overflowing somewhere........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWDXhDs0VQ

Here is some of wiretap from Paul's Castellano's house that I found. I would love to hear more, jag would be good too, if only. I would love to hear anything with Jimmy Burke talking and Paul Vario as well as all of those guys involved in Lufthansa as well. I do not understand why they do not start releasing some of it already since we are going on decades at this point.
LeeClaire
Prospect

Post by LeeClaire »

Wasn't sure if I should have made a new thread for this, but this topic seems like a good place to post my random questions:

1. What would the day-to-day like be like for each rank in the mafia?

2. How would that day-to-day change if a mobster is made -- promoted to captain -- promoted to underboss/consigliere -- made boss?

3. What are the differences in the duties/functions/operations between an underboss and consigliere?

4. Would a captain keep running their crew day-to-day if they were promoted to underboss/consigliere?

5. Is there a general idea of how kicking up money works? This article: https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/the-five-families -- indicates that each rank in the Gambino family under Gotti kicked up 20% to their boss with the underboss kicking up to Gotti. But if the underboss kicked up 20% of his kick up from the captains, wouldn't the underboss make more money than the boss?

6. How powerful is the Chicago Outfit these days/do they still have a unique structure among U.S. mafia organizations?

7. What level of interaction would the Five Families have with Mexican cartels?

8. Has there ever been an American mafia boss that could rival the power/national influence/international reach of Pablo or Chapo (or Mayo Zambada if he always was the most powerful Sinaloa capo)?

9. Is there one mobster that would most often win 'most feared mobster in history' due to their violence or power they wielded -- or is it more a case of there's a lot, pick one? I've read before the Chin was so powerful that mobsters followed his rule not to say his name, but I've also heard that the rest of the mafia laughed off his name decree.

10. What's the best estimates for the sizes of each of the mafia families in the States and Canada today?

11. Have any of the Italian mafia groups had an organization that matches the Five Families in size? I've read before that the Italian groups are almost always much smaller than the American families, but I've also seen that the Casalesi Clan has somthing like 8-9k members.

12. Is the claim that the ndrangheta is the most powerful Italian group true?

13. Is it possible to definitively say what is the single most powerful organized crime group in the world, i.e., is the Sinaloa Cartel more powerful than [insert ndrangheta clan here]? Or the Yamaguchi-gumi? Or the Solntsevskaya Bratva?
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Can I get a quick second thought on Johnny Gambino being made in Sicily??

I thought only Rosario or maybe even the other brother was Sicilian amico nostra
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
StandUpGuy
Straightened out

Post by StandUpGuy »

Anybody got a list of made guys that died in the can while serving life sentences over the last 30 years?
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

I am in the process of developing one
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 pm Can I get a quick second thought on Johnny Gambino being made in Sicily??

I thought only Rosario or maybe even the other brother was Sicilian amico nostra
Most info points to only Rosario being made in Sicily