Michael Mickey Boy Souza

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Bklyn21
Full Patched

Michael Mickey Boy Souza

Post by Bklyn21 »

DEA Social Club Raid Was Supposed to Crash Mafia Induction, Not Xmas Party

Jerry Capeci, Contributor

Organized crime expert

08/02/2010 02:43 PM ET

|

Updated May 25, 2011

In his debut as a government witness, Michael (Mickey) Souza, the latest turncoat mobster, testified at the trial of Genovese capo Anthony (Tico) Antico that he knew the wiseguy meaning of Christmas: "It's when your pockets get full usually."

Gang Land learned last week however that Souza was the source last year of one of the worst Yuletide season tips in Gang Land history: The snitch told the feds that a Christmas party at a Brooklyn social club was going to be an induction ceremony for an up and coming wannabe wiseguy in the Bonanno crime family.

As a result of Souza's information, sources say, dozens of heavily armed federal drug agents staged a raid on the club. There, they herded scores of mostly elderly partygoers out of the Banner Social Club and into the cold for upwards of two hours while they and the club were searched, ostensibly for drugs, weapons and other contraband that were nowhere to be found.

It turns out, sources tell Gang Land, that what the SWAT team of agents clad in dark blue jackets with big white letters "DEA" across their backs was really looking for were pictures of saints, a gun, a knife, and some Bonanno family heavyweights in the middle of a Mafia initiation rite.

That was because, according to the sources, Souza had assured the feds that James Malpeso, a hulking family associate and accused loanshark, was just one of the proposed members who was going to become a "made man" that night. Souza had been behind bars since his arrest on drug, racketeering and murder conspiracy charges in 2006, but he was released on bail for medical reasons last June, and remained free for nine months, according to his testimony at Antico's trial.

Souza was on the money about Malpeso, and several Bonanno wiseguys being present at the Brooklyn social club in Bensonhurst. But so were dozens of aging neighborhood denizens without criminal records or reputed mob ties. That was pretty convincing evidence that the attendees were looking to make merry - not to make any new mobsters.

The saga of the raid by the DEA Grinches and assorted other federal killjoys was disclosed by Gang Land last December, although the reasoning behind the holiday spoiler was not known at the time.

Now it all makes sense. The feds were so excited about the possibility of disrupting a mob induction ceremony of one of the notorious Five Families for the first time that they turned out some top guns for the court-authorized raid: On the scene for what turned out to be a harmless geezer roundup were assistant U.S. attorneys Nicole Argentieri and John Buretta, the chief of the Brooklyn U.S. Attorney's office. FBI organized crime supervisor George Khouzami also was on the scene to see it for himself.

Not that the feds lacked reason to believe their informant: Sources say that Souza's report about the induction ceremony included a tape-recorded conversation between him and Malpeso.

After fizzling all the holiday spirits at the club, the federal narcs took names and examined the cell phones of the dispirited revelers. Then they bid most of them a good night, and, according to one source, added a sarcastic "Have a nice evening."

But they held onto Malpeso, 40, and Bonanno capos Anthony Calabrese, 42, and Vincent (Vinny TV) Badalamenti, 53. The drug agents handcuffed all three men and took them in separate cars - the better to try to question and/or flip them - to DEA headquarters in Manhattan where they were photographed and fingerprinted as though they were going to be arrested, but then told they were free to leave.

As they have since Gang Land disclosed the raid last December, the DEA, FBI and U.S. Attorney's office declined to comment.

"They were obviously acting on bad information from Souza," said Malpeso's lawyer, Vincent Romano. "My client was not being inducted, nor does he desire to be inducted into a crime family. He was merely attending a Christmas party," said Romano.

Today, Malpeso is still an unmade man, sources say. And he is likely to remain one for the foreseeable future, even if his lawyer is mistaken about his client's ultimate wishes.

That's because a few months after he thought he was being arrested by the DEA, he was arrested by the FBI - and jailed without bail - on federal loansharking and extortion charges that could mean up to 20 years in prison.

Despite a finding by pretrial services that bail was appropriate, a judge ruled that Malpeso was a danger to the community and detained him when prosecutor Argentieri disclosed that Malpeso was heard and videotaped threatening to shoot his victim in the stomach as they sat in the gangster's car last February 15.

"I'm going to put a hole in you somewhere, either here or at your house. That's a fucking promise," Malpeso was heard saying as a video caught him holding a handgun, according to an arrest complaint written by FBI agent Robert Ypelaar.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Michael Mickey Boy Souza

Post by Moscone65 »

Fucking feds are a bunch of rat dastardly coward fucks, they’ll get theirs.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

would love some more info on Souza. can only find his indictment and a few news articles
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

newera_212 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:54 pm would love some more info on Souza. can only find his indictment and a few news articles
And he was involved in a TON of of crimes,Schemes, Cons,Major drug dealing, Attempted killings, Robberies etc etc ....He definitely had grandiose plans and ideas on alot with his brother and many others and got himself so jammed up to his neck with LE
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

newera_212 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:54 pm would love some more info on Souza. can only find his indictment and a few news articles
And he was involved in a TON of of crimes,Schemes, Cons,Major drug dealing, Attempted killings, Robberies etc etc ....He definitely had grandiose plans and ideas on alot with his brother and many others and got himself so jammed up to his neck with LE

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 3F&ampcf=1
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

I will look into Souza when I can, it seems like he was just a typical fast-and-loose mobster who got jammed up soon into his wiseguy career. It's interesting that he was originally under Frank Melia Jr., however, so I'd like to know about his early rise. Melia Jr. was the driver of Tom Petrizzo during the early 1990s, so it would be interesting to see what Souza knew about Petrizzo or his crew. It would be interesting to learn about, since Souza is your typical street-level gangbanger/drug dealer while Petrizzo is the ultimate white-collar racketeer.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
NinoFromNYC2
Straightened out

Post by NinoFromNYC2 »

He dropped his pants in a nightclub
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

gohnjotti wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:40 pm I will look into Souza when I can, it seems like he was just a typical fast-and-loose mobster who got jammed up soon into his wiseguy career. It's interesting that he was originally under Frank Melia Jr., however, so I'd like to know about his early rise. Melia Jr. was the driver of Tom Petrizzo during the early 1990s, so it would be interesting to see what Souza knew about Petrizzo or his crew. It would be interesting to learn about, since Souza is your typical street-level gangbanger/drug dealer while Petrizzo is the ultimate white-collar racketeer.
That'd be awesome. I believe he testified at one of Antico's trials. There's gotta be a transcript out there somewhere. There's a transcript of the opening arguments and DiLeonardo's cross examination from that trial, I'm sure Souza's testimony has to be out there somewhere.

Didn't he end up under Calabro? I'd like to know more about that and more about his beef with Hector Pagan. He probably would have made certain parts of Brooklyn and Staten Island...hell, the whole world...a better place if that plot to kill Pagan materialized
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

newera_212 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:40 pm I will look into Souza when I can, it seems like he was just a typical fast-and-loose mobster who got jammed up soon into his wiseguy career. It's interesting that he was originally under Frank Melia Jr., however, so I'd like to know about his early rise. Melia Jr. was the driver of Tom Petrizzo during the early 1990s, so it would be interesting to see what Souza knew about Petrizzo or his crew. It would be interesting to learn about, since Souza is your typical street-level gangbanger/drug dealer while Petrizzo is the ultimate white-collar racketeer.
That'd be awesome. I believe he testified at one of Antico's trials. There's gotta be a transcript out there somewhere. There's a transcript of the opening arguments and DiLeonardo's cross examination from that trial, I'm sure Souza's testimony has to be out there somewhere.

Didn't he end up under Calabro? I'd like to know more about that and more about his beef with Hector Pagan. He probably would have made certain parts of Brooklyn and Staten Island...hell, the whole world...a better place if that plot to kill Pagan materialized
Calabro didn't really know much about Souza before he was assigned to him, I believe. It seems Gioeli just handpicked a bunch of guys from different crews, a combination of earners, old-timers and tough guys, and gave them to Calabro in around 2002. Same reason why Calabro got Ralph Scopo, a guy he had tried to kill a decade prior.

Calabro didn't really have much going on with his crew compared to some of the Colombo family's other crews, although he did send Mickey Souza to threaten a man named "Howie the Jew," who had sold cocaine to Calabro's father-in-law. I don't know the backstory behind why Howie the Jew needed threatening.

Jbravo
Straightened out

Post by Jbravo »

Its Mikey boy...
Jbravo
Straightened out

Post by Jbravo »

Souza was a loose cannon..dont know how he even got made considering hes not Italian...Bonanno associate Nicky Lanza used to hang around with him.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Jbravo wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:04 pm Souza was a loose cannon..dont know how he even got made considering hes not Italian...Bonanno associate Nicky Lanza used to hang around with him.
If so, that makes Souza connected to Colombo soldier Nicky Rizzo of the Gioeli regime, which might explain why he was placed with Dino Calabro.

Jbravo
Straightened out

Post by Jbravo »

You are 100%