General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

B. wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:22 pm
MichaelGiovanni wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:44 pm I know I saw a thread or posts that had a list of Carmine Persico’s crew members but I can’t find it using the search feature and I’ve searched 20 pages of threads looking for it.

Does anyone know what thread it was in or where I can find that info??

Thanks in advance.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3127
Thank you B.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

The old timers were not happy with the quality of recruit being being brought in AND they feared that the ranks of Cosa Nostra had been breached by police informers and even undercover agents themselves. PLUS, in those days (with so many good recruits around compared with today), after having brought in a certain number of men, and reaching the respective quota’s each Family had. Their membership limit in other words, Cosa Nostra typically closed ranks anyway..... that’s how it operated in the past as well. After the inductions decades earlier they had ceased for several years as well. 1930’s into the 1940’s period. And as stated above there was rumor of Frank Scalise AND Anastasia selling buttons..... so that only added to the mix. and is turned out to be a long hiatus. Over twenty years!
-
Now, with the recruitment pool having shrunk so much, the books are more Wide open....bringing such low quality recruits that it’s almost a bad joke today what Cosa Nostra has become.....if the old timers could see the shit today that qualifies for membership, they’d turn over in their graves!
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Did the commission Greenlight Phil Testa? If so, why?
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

The Testa Murder was NOT sanctioned! It was by a renegade faction lead by Tony Bananas and Pete Casella. Hence the Commission sanctioned murder of Bananas and others later on and the expulsion of Casella.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Someone told me a a few weeks back that Scarfo was involved in the Testa hit, but that didn't make any sense at all to me. Scarfo is the one who tabled the idea that Narducci was behind the nailbomb that killed Phil is my understanding? I also seem to recall reading that the commission initially wanted Scarfo to succeed Bruno, but that he'd turned it down in favour of Testa? Maybe I'm misremembering there. Can't find any confirmation on it.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Tony Bananas was already dead by the time Testa was killed. Tests was killed by his UnderBoss Pete Casella and Capo Frank Narducci Sr. The hit was not sanctioned which is why Casella was shelved and Narducci killed. Scarfo was not inolved in the coup attempt. I've also read that Scarfo was first choice to succeed Bruno.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

thanks guys, appreciate it
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Slumpy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 am I also seem to recall reading that the commission initially wanted Scarfo to succeed Bruno, but that he'd turned it down in favour of Testa? Maybe I'm misremembering there. Can't find any confirmation on it.
It's in Mafia Prince, Scarfo told the Genovese that Testa deserved it more than he did. The Genovese okayed it with the caveat that Testa name Scarfo either Underboss or Consigliere. If he had just made Scarfo underboss the history of the Philly family would be drastically different.

Maxie is mixing up the Bruno and Testa murders.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

What I meant to say was these killings were the collateral damage, the fallout if you will, of the original killing that started it all. Bruno’s Murder. All subsequent future plots tie their strings from their. And future betrayals including and culminating with Testa’s murder, Casella’s expulsion and other killings and (sub-plots) started with Tony Bananas and company
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Do you guys think there's a possibility Bruno's unwillingness to open up AC to the NY families played a role in his murder? If Testa had more time, do you guys think he would have opened it up as Scarfo later did?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Slumpy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 am Do you guys think there's a possibility Bruno's unwillingness to open up AC to the NY families played a role in his murder?

According to George Freselone it was the opposite. The guys were resentful of Bruno because he allowed NY into AC instead of giving it to his own guys. They were also resentful of Bruno not allowing drug dealing. If I remember right he was taking money from the Gamibinos drug operations in South Jersey and Long John Marotoranos meth ring but wouldn't alow the other members to deal.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:25 am
Slumpy wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 am Do you guys think there's a possibility Bruno's unwillingness to open up AC to the NY families played a role in his murder?

According to George Freselone it was the opposite. The guys were resentful of Bruno because he allowed NY into AC instead of giving it to his own guys. They were also resentful of Bruno not allowing drug dealing. If I remember right he was taking money from the Gamibinos drug operations in South Jersey and Long John Marotoranos meth ring but wouldn't alow the other members to deal.

Pogo
And all things considered, Freselone's explanation makes the most sense. Seems Bruno took the same selective approach to his underlings dealing that Castellano did.
All roads lead to New York.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:25 am According to George Freselone it was the opposite. The guys were resentful of Bruno because he allowed NY into AC instead of giving it to his own guys.
But Tieri was from NY, yet he authorized Bruno's murder. Caponigro had acted because he thought he had backing from NY.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Tieri reportedly wanted Caponigro's numbers operation and just gave him the rope to hang himself.

Pogo
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:35 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:25 am According to George Freselone it was the opposite. The guys were resentful of Bruno because he allowed NY into AC instead of giving it to his own guys.
But Tieri was from NY, yet he authorized Bruno's murder. Caponigro had acted because he thought he had backing from NY.

Tieri and Caponigro had a beef many years back over the numbers operation Pogo mentioned. Tony Bananas won at the sit-down and Funzi never forgot it.

Revenge is never a straight line.