Maxie's Genovese Profiles

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Re: Maxie's Genovese Profiles

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

I always loved the quote about Jimmy Nap in the old and great crime inc. documentaries

“He makes money and earns for all the crews”

Another quote that was attributed to Jimmy Nap that I love

“anyone ever puts their hands on you leave ‘em for dead and we talk about it in the morning”
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Just went through all of the profiles and never knew that some of these fellas were with the Genoveses. Good stuff Maxie and pls stick to these type of threads
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Villain wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:28 am Just went through all of the profiles and never knew that some of these fellas were with the Genoveses. Good stuff Maxie and pls stick to these type of threads
Did you go through just the Genovese profiles or the others also? Because I’ve created extensive profiles for all five families and the Jersey crews too!
-
I think you’ll enjoy them..... and yes the Genovese had a lot of top names with them. Jersey, Bronx-Westchester, Manhattan, Bklyn, Queens, even LI.....very strong at one point
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:21 am
Villain wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:28 am Just went through all of the profiles and never knew that some of these fellas were with the Genoveses. Good stuff Maxie and pls stick to these type of threads
Did you go through just the Genovese profiles or the others also? Because I’ve created extensive profiles for all five families and the Jersey crews too!
-
I think you’ll enjoy them..... and yes the Genovese had a lot of top names with them. Jersey, Bronx-Westchester, Manhattan, Bklyn, Queens, even LI.....very strong at one point
The Genoveses, next are the Lukes
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Villain wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:59 am
maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:21 am
-
The Genoveses, next are the Lukes
That’s great! .... glad to see you are reading them. That’s why I make em! 👍
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

MichaelGiovanni wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:41 am Super

Here is good article about Fat Tony and the numbers business you might enjoy reading

download/file.php?id=3313&mode=view
Hey Micheal says I can't down load can you put it on the forum please sir
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Super wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:33 pm
MichaelGiovanni wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:41 am Super

Here is good article about Fat Tony and the numbers business you might enjoy reading

download/file.php?id=3313&mode=view
Hey Micheal says I can't down load can you put it on the forum please sir
Sorry about that. Hopefully you can zoom in on it.

Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

Thanks for trying still can't see it buddy
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Right click/show image and you will (hopefuly)
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

VINCENZO (JIMMY NAP) NAPOLI - born 1911 in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. By his mid-50’s Jimmy was living in Manhattan (61 Jane St) and Later (216 E. 31st St).

He had three sons, James (Lefty) Jr., Anthony (Tony Nap) and Rocco Napoli, all became active in the life.

He would later marry a former girlfriend and confidant of deceased Lucchese top Capo Paul Correale.
-
Note: [Jimmy was a former amateur boxer in his youth, and remained a boxing fan all his life]
—————
FBI # 1953027, NYCPD # B-111856.
—————
Long identified as a Genovese “associate”, and eventual member who would rise to “Captain” status.
-
Note: [a key factor to remember, was that although Jimmy was very close to the top guys in most all the families, he always remained an “associate” and never made for decades. He is said to have turned down his “button” more than once. During the reopening of the “books” during the mid-1970’s he finally accepted formal induction and quickly rise to “Capo”...... it was arguably the biggest mistake of his life]
————
Napoli was well known as one of the biggest numbers-policy racketeers in the NY-Northern NJ areas for decades, and for that matter the whole country.
-
He started in out Williamsburg and throughout his life would always use that neighborhood as his base of operations. For years he operated out of the Hi-Way Bar & Grill, his “de facto” headquarters.
-
He also utilized both nearby Crisci’s Restaurant on Lorimer Street and Bamonte’s Ristorante as drops and meeting places.

Note: [Sy Crisci, owner of Crisci’s Restaurant was a cousin of his. The famous picture of Jimmy ringside at the fights has Sy (bald) sitting to Napoli’s right side]
-
Note: [I personally would often see and say hello to Jimmy at both these eateries. He was always a gentleman with me]
————-
Activites:
policy rackets
floating dice games
bookmaking
police bribery
shylocking
fixed-boxing matches
-
Although in later life Jimmy handled sports-bookmaking (after numbers were legalized), he was primarily a numbers guys for decades.
————-
Extensive criminal associates included:
-
Succeeding Genovese hierarchies including:
-
Frank (Funzual) Tieri - Brooklyn based
-
Vincent (Chin) Gigante - Lower Manhattan based power
-
Anthony (Fat Tony) Salerno - Harlem based power
-
Louis (Bobby) Manna - Family Consigliere, NJ based power
-
............ and other key hoodlums:
-
Martin (Motts) Casella - a member, close aide to Manna, numbers racketeer
-
Pasquale (Paddy Mac) Macchiarole - top Genovese capo and power, from Williamsburg, murdered
-
John (Sonny) Franzese - Colombo underboss/capo, from Greenpoint-Williamsburg
-
James (Lefty) Napoli Jr. - middle son, his longtime aide in the policy rackets, Family associate
-
Anthony (Tony Nap) Napoli - his oldest son, associate and street guy, but was a alcoholic and too wild to control, never heavily involved with his father
-
Rocco Napoli - youngest brother who became a union official and Genovese associate (possible member)
-
Louis Pascocello - his cousin and aide (I did a separate profile on him)
-
Andrew Biondo - top aide, controlled the “bank” for Napoli in the 1960’s (I did a profile on him)
—————
I’ve given you his pedigree to lay the groundwork of his life. Let me say that Jimmy was widely regarded as a gentleman and a nice guy. He was smart and level-headed, and was not inherently a vicious guy. Don’t get me wrong, he was no sucker, but not inclined to violence as a first resort. He was well-liked!
————-
“Jimmy Nap” ran one of the biggest numbers networks for decades. It spanned from Brooklyn, to Manhattan, Queens and Long Island. He also did heavy business through northern New Jersey (much in Jersey City, some in Newark).
————
By 1969, authorities were starting to pay more attention to Napoli. He was subpoenaed to testify by a Nassau County rackets grand jury.
-
Also in 1969, he was one of several hoodlums and boxers hit with perjury charges during an investigation of fixing-boxing matches. Accused of lying while answering questions related to their friendship with Italian boxing champ Nino Benvenuti. And the 1969 suspected dive-bout of Frank DePaola vs light-heavyweight champ Bob Foster.
-
Boxer Frankie DePaola, mobster Joseph (Joe Carlo) Calabro and Napoli were the three indicted, and many other boxers and fight promoters figured into the probe.
————
By 1971, he was under a ton of heat. He became the target of numerous investigations into gambling, police bribery and fixing pro-fights.
-
In 1979, he was jailed again after refusing to answer a grand jury’s questions probing bribery and the mob. While he earlier (1976) had served a six-month contempt sentence during a probe of fixed boxing matches at the old-tombs in Lower Manhattan, he was now being accused of having bribed prison guards and an assistant warden to provide him special amenities to ease his prison stay such as gourmet meals and wine.
-
Additionally the Roman Catholic priest Louis Gigante (Vinny’s brother), was also jailed for 10 days for contempt after he refused to answer the a judges questions citing his priestly oath and confessional privilege between he and Napoli.
-
Gigante had been accused of helping Napoli gain prison favors.
————-
In 1976, he and many of his men were indicted federally for the operation of a massive policy (numbers) network spanning New York City and New Jersey. It was a serious problem and hit at the heart of his operations. LE accused him of heading a $150,000,000. yearly grossing policy ring.
-
After trial, Jimmy Nap would be convicted and sentenced to serve five years imprisonment after several years exhausting all appeals.
-
By the time he was released there was nothing left of his prized policy operation. They had fallen on hard times. The legalization of the NY Lotto and his prolonged absence had destroyed his business.
———-
Jimmy Nap then diversified into other rackets and deeper into Genovese Family “politics”, utilizing his capo status to better move around.

........ it would only add to his problems and lead to the most serious case of his life!
————-
By 1988, he became involved and indicted on a big Rico murder conspiracy case which included Bobby Manna, Motts Casella, and a host of other Genovese hoodlums.
-
They were accused of among other things, plotting the murder of John Gotti and some of his top aides. There was the additional typical charges of usury, extortion, gambling, racketeering conspiracy,
etc.
-
I’m not sure what happened on this case but I know that they delayed the case and trial for a long time. I think he was severed or eventually dropped from the case. At any rate Jimmy was already pushing eighty years old.
——-
“Jimmy Nap” Napoli died in 1992 after a short illness.
-
He will be remembered as a decent guy. I always considered Jimmy more of a racketeer than a gangster per se. And I give that to him as a compliment! .......RIP Jimmy!

———————————————————————————————————-
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

MichaelGiovanni wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm Maxie I would love to read a write up on Jimmy Nap
MichaelGiovanni this ones for you! I just posted Jimmy Nap. Enjoy!
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

MichaelGiovanni, that article is a great timepiece. I love the nickname of the gangster listed in the last column, "Crappy Hale"
At the end it says a part 2 will be written the next day, are you able to put that up?
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

maxiestern11 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:33 am
MichaelGiovanni wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:28 pm Maxie I would love to read a write up on Jimmy Nap
MichaelGiovanni this ones for you! I just posted Jimmy Nap. Enjoy!
Great stuff Maxie. Thanks for getting to it so soon.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

bert wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 am MichaelGiovanni, that article is a great timepiece. I love the nickname of the gangster listed in the last column, "Crappy Hale"
At the end it says a part 2 will be written the next day, are you able to put that up?
Glad you liked it Bert. I have looked to try and find the 2nd part to it and have never been successful. I had that article saved and am having trouble even finding the original location on the web of it. Sorry