Today it is worth being a member of the mafia?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

aleksandrored
Full Patched

Today it is worth being a member of the mafia?

Post by aleksandrored »

As we know LCN doesn't really have the power and influence it had at its peak in the 50's / 60's, but for an Italian-American criminal these days, it pays to be a member of the mafia, would that have any more benefit to him? or can he simply make more money on his own?
bert
Full Patched

Re: Today it is worth being a member of the mafia?

Post by bert »

It hasn't been considered worth it by a lot of people since the post Valachi era. In the 1970's a lot of guys did not want to get made. The trend has increased steadily. It is worth it for those who see it as a way to get rich then cut a deal and rat when they are caught. As for making money on their own, if you mean through work, yes. Both city and private unions have very good wage scales, and if you men illegally yes, you don't wind up on the feds or locals radar by working as a non-Mafia group.
500YearReign
Straightened out

Post by 500YearReign »

Absolutely not because there are too many active informants. You will be on the radar of the feds for sure when the proposed membership lists start going around to the other families.

The only way for the mob to really revitalize and preserve the families, is by training members to operate in a clandestine-like fashion. I'm talking about taking on the practices, persona and methods of an intelligence operative. Brush-passes, one-time pad cyphers, dead drops, encryption, etc.

Also they need to take all illegitimate earnings and start investing it into a zero or low tax structure outside the US with no u.s. citizen beneficial owner or controller.

Any parties interested in my security consulting and wealth preservation + building services feel free to pm through this forum.
"People always underestimate me, Don."

<>

"You know what the real difference is between crooks and lawmen, Warden?

[Warden] Try me.

What side of the bars they're on."
Brian the brain
Associate

Post by Brian the brain »

I just want a no show job, ha.
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

Not at all , im talking about Eastern Europe now , you will end up working for state/secret service and you will be untouchable for some time 5-10 years, then when they find u useless u get bullet in the head and next one takes your position.
phil74
Prospect

Post by phil74 »

It was never worth it. Today slightly less so with the informants.
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

If they didn’t legalize gambling then yes if that’s your up bringing

The 70s and 80s were too dangerous w wise guys and LE. The violence destroyed it .

Not so much today and with gambling as a core a lot of crews could make $, we’re unlikely to be hit or serve a long sentence . A big hit to gambling proceeds and I think guys are going to be hurting and looking to drugs more.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

So has LCN become more of the past? Can an Italian-American criminal make more money without the mafia's influence?

The point I want to reach is: Why would an Italian-American criminal today join the American mafia?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

TommyNoto wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:57 pm If they didn’t legalize gambling then yes if that’s your up bringing

The 70s and 80s were too dangerous w wise guys and LE. The violence destroyed it .

Not so much today and with gambling as a core a lot of crews could make $, we’re unlikely to be hit or serve a long sentence . A big hit to gambling proceeds and I think guys are going to be hurting and looking to drugs more.
I think the jury is still out on how much of an effect legalized sports betting will have on the mob.

Interestingly, and I know people hate him, but Alite said he thinks legalized sports betting will create more addicted gamblers who, when they run out of money and can't bet legally with money up front, will look to bet on credit. He thinks it could result in a net gain for the mob. Angelo Lutz said the same thing.

We'll see.
All roads lead to New York.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

In Chicago, they stand to profit from gambling - they own all the legitimate gaming companies. I think there are plenty of opportunities to run a legitimate business and stay involved in the rackets - and probably many we haven't heard of and stay below the radar. That being said, its not the gravy train it used to be and in 2019, probably better opportunities in the fax machine industry....
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 pm In Chicago, they stand to profit from gambling - they own all the legitimate gaming companies.
Such as?
All roads lead to New York.
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

Wiseguy wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:22 pm
TommyNoto wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:57 pm If they didn’t legalize gambling then yes if that’s your up bringing

I think the jury is still out on how much of an effect legalized sports betting will have on the mob.

Interestingly, and I know people hate him, but Alite said he thinks legalized sports betting will create more addicted gamblers who, when they run out of money and can't bet legally with money up front, will look to bet on credit. He thinks it could result in a net gain for the mob. Angelo Lutz said the same thing.

We'll see.
I agree and so fars it’s been manageable with a few NJ bookies I know but then again I get the sense they are bluffing me a bit by “ how good he is doing “ . I agree a lot with new gamblers with all the free $500 betting offers . It’s also the type of customers they will lose ( the whales ) as Fan duel is giving them the full VIP treatment. The whales gave them the volume to make big $.

There are also loan sharks at Meadowlands

NJ Mafia is gambling , gambling , gambling with a bunch of ancillary shit but we’re talking books that are way bigger then the legal ones ( un real volumes ). It’s more about 10 years from
now and whether it trends like the lottery as right now gambling is supporting so many guys as their base.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

This organization has been around for over 150 years and has/had branches on 4 continents. Imo if you're already a criminal of course it pays to be a member of the Mafia, the connections gained alone are worth it.
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:07 pm So has LCN become more of the past? Can an Italian-American criminal make more money without the mafia's influence?

The point I want to reach is: Why would an Italian-American criminal today join the American mafia?
I'm sure you can but LCN is still like a plaque of credibility in the criminal world and will put you into a network with thousands of other criminals from other LCN members and other organizations allied with LCN
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

aleksandrored wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:07 pm So has LCN become more of the past? Can an Italian-American criminal make more money without the mafia's influence?
Hypothetically speaking, an Italian-American criminal risk having to give portion of his profits away to a Mafia connected guy. Or he´ll get harassed, threatened or chased away. Would he want that? Nowadays though, there are no big Italian-Americans who work seperatly from the Mafia. Back in the day, if they were young and showed potential, most of them would end up with the Mafia, either as made or associates.

Tell me something alex, Palmeiras, Santos or Corinthians?
There you have it, never printed before.