Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by B. »

Well, now it looks like Salvatore Maranzano was an early Hamilton figure associated with Buffalo, maybe even a member for a time based on Magaddino's words combined with Maranzano's residence there. What an adventure.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Here's what I managed to find out on Valenti's father:

His name was Giuseppe Valenti, but he also went by the names Joseph Vallenti (early on), Joseph Valenti and Joe Valenti. He was born on 13 June 1878 and his place of birth is listed as "Sicilia, Italy". He died on 21 November 1969 in Rochester, aged 91. His wife was Rosalie (Rosalee) Valenti (1889-1966). His adult children include: Frank J. Valenti (1911-2008); Anthony T. Valenti (1914-1981); John A. Valenti (1919-2014); Sarah F. Valenti (1916-1970); Josephine C. Valenti (1923-1992); Elizabeth T. Valenti (1917-1988); Nancy A. Valenti (1910-1994); Paul J. Valenti (1907-1988); Samuel J. Valenti (1909-1995); Rosalie M. Valenti (1921-1987); Stanley P. Valenti (1926-2001). There might have been another daughter named Lillian Vallenti, dying in childhood. He also seems to have been moving between New York and Pennsylvania early on.

It's interesting to note in the 1930 the Valenti family were listed as Vallenti. And all of their children were included in their parents' household in Rochester with Frank listed as "Francis Vallenti" and Stanley listed as "Standly Vallenti". The children have both their parents listed as being born in Sicily. By 1940 Anthony, Frank, Paul and Sarah were no longer listed in the household with Anthony living with his wife and child at a different address in Monroe County and Frank already relocated to PA. Here's the actual record:
51555.jpg
Another interesting person is one Amerigo (Americo) G. Valenti who might have been some kind of relative to Joseph. I couldn't find much on the guy with the exception of some info from an old marriage license issued in 1936. By then Amerigo was 23 years old with an address on 248 Jay St. in Rochester and listed occupation as "WPA worker".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

eboli wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:19 am Here's what I managed to find out on Valenti's father:

His name was Giuseppe Valenti, but he also went by the names Joseph Vallenti (early on), Joseph Valenti and Joe Valenti. He was born on 13 June 1878 and his place of birth is listed as "Sicilia, Italy". He died on 21 November 1969 in Rochester, aged 91. His wife was Rosalie (Rosalee) Valenti (1889-1966). His adult children include: Frank J. Valenti (1911-2008); Anthony T. Valenti (1914-1981); John A. Valenti (1919-2014); Sarah F. Valenti (1916-1970); Josephine C. Valenti (1923-1992); Elizabeth T. Valenti (1917-1988); Nancy A. Valenti (1910-1994); Paul J. Valenti (1907-1988); Samuel J. Valenti (1909-1995); Rosalie M. Valenti (1921-1987); Stanley P. Valenti (1926-2001). There might have been another daughter named Lillian Vallenti, dying in childhood. He also seems to have been moving between New York and Pennsylvania early on.

It's interesting to note in the 1930 the Valenti family were listed as Vallenti. And all of their children were included in their parents' household in Rochester with Frank listed as "Francis Vallenti" and Stanley listed as "Standly Vallenti". The children have both their parents listed as being born in Sicily. By 1940 Anthony, Frank, Paul and Sarah were no longer listed in the household with Anthony living with his wife and child at a different address in Monroe County and Frank already relocated to PA. Here's the actual record:

51555.jpg

Another interesting person is one Amerigo (Americo) G. Valenti who might have been some kind of relative to Joseph. I couldn't find much on the guy with the exception of some info from an old marriage license issued in 1936. By then Amerigo was 23 years old with an address on 248 Jay St. in Rochester and listed occupation as "WPA worker".
Frank had a sister named Frances, it showed up on another census report. She was older than Frank. I have to question his place of birth. Without a manifest and other docs, I’m inclined to say he’s Calabrian until we obtain some other docs. WW1 registration?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:45 pm When people quote could they kindly just quote relevant sections rather than whole posts and/or conversations.
We’re getting quotes half pages long which could be condensed to a few relevant lines.
You're just trying to rock the boat because this thread has gotten too peaceful. Seeing new activity in the Buffalo/Ontario thread and finding out they're all constructive, research-based replies is like finding out an Italian murder in NYC isn't mob related.
Not sure why he did that. Me, Sonny, Pogo and WG had a sitdown just two weeks ago to straighten things out. We came to an agreement that Buffalo will be recognised for the next five years after which its viability can be challenged again. In return I guaranteed WG piece of mind and called back my hit squads who were looking for him throughout New York and Utah. Pogo was guaranteed his full control over the Harlem rackets. Sonny however still wanted blood and I had to really convince him to accept these terms for the greater good.
B. wrote:Well, now it looks like Salvatore Maranzano was an early Hamilton figure associated with Buffalo, maybe even a member for a time based on Magaddino's words combined with Maranzano's residence there. What an adventure.
Interesting how that coincedes with this discussion as it adds yet another angle. The Castellammaresi were like the Mob's version of the Dutch East India Company of the Golden Age.

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

There must have been a whole other family of Valenti’s, Donato was born around 1877...And he also had a son named Frank who was born around 1912...Once I get in front of a computer I will start searching
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

JCB1977 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 am Frank had a sister named Frances, it showed up on another census report. She was older than Frank. I have to question his place of birth. Without a manifest and other docs, I’m inclined to say he’s Calabrian until we obtain some other docs. WW1 registration?
Yeah, that's something that makes me question if I've found the correct Joseph Valenti.

There are some mistakes between the different censuses. I saw Sarah Valenti listed as Frances Valenti, but her birth year was written as 1916. Sarah's grave has her name as "Sarah F. Valenti" and I've seen her listed as Sarah Frances Valenti. Might be the same person? That guy Donato you mentioned in the 1940 census had Maria Valenti (b. 1877) listed as wife, Rose (b.1911) as daughter and Frank (b.1912) as son in their Rochester household.
1151.png
In the 1930 census Donato has the following members in his household: Francis Valenti (b.1903); Louise Valenti (b. 1908); Rose Valenti (b.1911); Frank Valenti (b.1912); Joseph Valenti (b.1914). No mention of other sibling and I know Frank Valenti had a lot of siblings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

eboli wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 am
JCB1977 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 am Frank had a sister named Frances, it showed up on another census report. She was older than Frank. I have to question his place of birth. Without a manifest and other docs, I’m inclined to say he’s Calabrian until we obtain some other docs. WW1 registration?
Yeah, that's something that makes me question if I've found the correct Joseph Valenti.

There are some mistakes between the different censuses. I saw Sarah Valenti listed as Frances Valenti, but her birth year was written as 1916. Sarah's grave has her name as "Sarah F. Valenti" and I've seen her listed as Sarah Frances Valenti. Might be the same person? That guy Donato you mentioned in the 1940 census had Maria Valenti (b. 1877) listed as wife, Rose (b.1911) as daughter and Frank (b.1912) as son in their Rochester household.

1151.png

In the 1930 census Donato has the following members in his household: Francis Valenti (b.1903); Louise Valenti (b. 1908); Rose Valenti (b.1911); Frank Valenti (b.1912); Joseph Valenti (b.1914). No mention of other sibling and I know Frank Valenti had a lot of siblings.
If you go back in the earlier thread, I posted that in the 1940s a Frank Valenti was arrested for running an illegal alcohol ring along with a brother Joseph and a brother Alphonse. It appeared there was also a cousin named Alphonse who was arrested with them who was from the Buffalo Niagara area. The arrest happened in Rochester but I know our subject Frank was living in Pittsburgh at the time, however, he floated between two cities. It’s awfully coincidental that a Frank Valenti was arrested in Rochester with brothers Joseph and Alphonse and has a liquor ring arrest in Western PA as well. Another ironic tidbit is that in one of the FBI files, an informant said that Stanley was Frank’s half brother and I’ve seen Donato have two different wives (names). Donato could have been Giuseppe’s brother? Or Donato was married again and had more kids with his 2nd wife? Stanley was 15 years younger than Frank.

I am going to try to hunt down Frank or Stanley’s real obituary in the local newspaper hoping that it lists his parents. For the life of me, I couldn’t imagine Tony Ripepi arranging a marriage for his daughter with a Sicilian. It went against the very fabric of who Tony was unless he just wanted his daughters to marry into the mafia for his own personal gain and connections. He tried to arrange one of his sons to marry my grandmother. Our families knew each other back in Reggio. Tony and my grandpa were compari, Tony used to supply all the grapes when my grandfather, Paul & Mike Romeo, Rocco Martell and Dominic Sergi as well as Dominic & Frank Mallamo made two oak barrels of wine every year. Ironically, Tony’s one son/grandson owns a winery in Western PA today. I was in college when Tony died but he used to come to my grandparents home with his wife on a regular basis but he was pretty much retired and I just knew him as an old man who spoke very broken like the rest of them and he enjoyed playing cards at the Calabrese club in Youngstown. Paul Romeo in Youngstown known as Don Paolo was John Bazzano Jr’s Godfather, he baptized him as a favor to Gianni Bazzano Sr who was ice picked to death for the Volpe brother murders.

In the 1930 census, it lists Francis but in 1940 census, it’s spelled Frances which made more sense because there was also a Frank in the family and typically the spelling Francis refers to a male. Frances is female.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

JCB1977 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:30 am If you go back in the earlier thread, I posted that in the 1940s a Frank Valenti was arrested for running an illegal alcohol ring along with a brother Joseph and a brother Alphonse. It appeared there was also a cousin named Alphonse who was arrested with them who was from the Buffalo Niagara area. Donato could have been Giuseppe’s brother?

I am going to try to hunt down Frank or Stanley’s real obituary in the local newspaper hoping that it lists his parents. For the life of me, I couldn’t imagine Tony Ripepi arranging a marriage for his daughter with a Sicilian. It went against the very fabric of who Tony was unless he just wanted his daughters to marry into the mafia for his own personal gain and connections. He tried to arrange one of his sons to marry my grandmother. Our families knew each other back in Reggio. Tony and my grandpa were compari, Tony used to supply all the grapes when my grandfather, Paul & Mike Romeo, Rocco Martell and Dominic Sergi as well as Dominic & Frank Mallamo made two oak barrels of wine every year. Ironically, Tony’s one son/grandson owns a winery in Western PA today. I was in college when Tony died but he used to come to my grandparents home with his wife on a regular basis but he was pretty much retired and I just knew him as an old man who spoke very broken like the rest of them and he enjoyed playing cards at the Calabrese club in Youngstown. Paul Romeo in Youngstown known as Don Paolo was John Bazzano Jr’s Godfather, he baptized him as a favor to Gianni Bazzano Sr who was ice picked to death for the Volpe brother murders.

In the 1930 census, it lists Francis but in 1940 census, it’s spelled Frances which made more sense because there was also a Frank in the family and typically the spelling Francis refers to a male. Frances is female.
During my search I found Alphonse Valenti who might have been a cousin to Frank Valenti. He was from Niagara Falls and died in Rochester in 1982. Might be the same guy, mentioned the illegal alcohol ring. The Paul J. Valenti I mentioned in my previous post, his middle name is Joseph, and by 1940 it seems he was out of Rochester and even the NY state, since at least I couldn't locate him. If you manage to find Stanley or Frank's obituary, listing a parent's name that will solve it. There's definitely a possibility Donato and Giuseppe were related. Early on italians with the surname Valenti seem to have had an established landing spot in PA, after that they started to branch out to NY and other neighboring states.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Forgot to add in my previous post: from a genealogy tree I managed to locate online, it lists a Constenze (Stanley) Valenti (02/08/1926-02/26/2001), died in Victor, NY, United States, son of Joe Valenti and Rosalia Inserra, husband of Catherine N. Valenti and brother of Frank Valenti.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

eboli wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 am Forgot to add in my previous post: from a genealogy tree I managed to locate online, it lists a Constenze (Stanley) Valenti (02/08/1926-02/26/2001), died in Victor, NY, United States, son of Joe Valenti and Rosalia Inserra, husband of Catherine N. Valenti and brother of Frank Valenti.
I saw that same tree...and it appears you like research as much as I do. While I don't share my research on the forum due to a project I am working on with some partners, I think we have both come across some people online who put a family tree up but there are mistakes and inaccurate info. Catherine was certainly Stanley's wife, she went by the name Kay. I think her real name was Caterina or Katerina. She was Tony Ripepi's oldest daughter.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

B. wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 am Well, now it looks like Salvatore Maranzano was an early Hamilton figure associated with Buffalo, maybe even a member for a time based on Magaddino's words combined with Maranzano's residence there. What an adventure.
All roads lead to ..... Buffalo!

Who’d a thunk it.
Great work my nerds. 👌
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

JCB1977 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 am
eboli wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:18 am Forgot to add in my previous post: from a genealogy tree I managed to locate online, it lists a Constenze (Stanley) Valenti (02/08/1926-02/26/2001), died in Victor, NY, United States, son of Joe Valenti and Rosalia Inserra, husband of Catherine N. Valenti and brother of Frank Valenti.
I saw that same tree...and it appears you like research as much as I do. While I don't share my research on the forum due to a project I am working on with some partners, I think we have both come across some people online who put a family tree up but there are mistakes and inaccurate info. Catherine was certainly Stanley's wife, she went by the name Kay. I think her real name was Caterina or Katerina. She was Tony Ripepi's oldest daughter.
Yeah, I expected inaccuracies, especially with custom info from a random genealogy search engine that's hard to cross-reference. I thought Kay was Ripepi's oldest daughter, then I checked the name and there was a Katherine N. Ripepi , but there was also an older girl, named Frances and a younger one, named Lauratta.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

eboli wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:34 am
JCB1977 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 am
Yeah, I expected inaccuracies, especially with custom info from a random genealogy search engine that's hard to cross-reference. I thought Kay was Ripepi's oldest daughter, then I checked the name and there was a Katherine N. Ripepi , but there was also an older girl, named Frances and a younger one, named Lauratta.
My bad, you are correct. Frances was John Bazzano Jr's wife.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

eboli wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:19 am Here's what I managed to find out on Valenti's father:

51555.jpg

Lennert sent me an email with the obits...the obits match this record. So now, I have two observations. First, the Frank Valenti, Joseph Valenti and Alphonse J. Valenti who were arrested in the 1940’s for a liquor ring were brothers from Rochester and Alphonse A. Valenti who was also arrested was from the Buffalo Niagara area who came to Rochester from Buffalo, most likely a cousin. Frank, Joe and Alphonse were Donato Valenti’s kids? Was Giuseppe Valenti (Frank and Costenze’s father) brother’s with Donato? And what role, if any, did Frank, Joseph and Alphonse A. and Alphonse J. play in the organized crime scene in Western NY?

Secondly, is Giuseppe Sicilian? Are there any other records (Ship manifest, naturalization, WW1, Passport etc) that give a more definitive place of birth?

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Pasquale (Pat) Musitano shot west of Toronto

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:01 pm The mobster next door: How do you sell your home when you live next to Pat Musitano?

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9522 ... musitano-/
It's now Pat Musitano's turn to see whether selling is house is difficult.

Home of Hamilton mobster Pat Musitano hits the market

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9548 ... the-market