Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by JCB1977 »

Name: Frank Joseph Valenti
Race: White
Relationship to Draftee: Self (Head)
Birth Date: 14 Sep 1911
Birth Place: Rochester, New York, USA
Residence Place: Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA
Registration Date: 1940
Registration Place: Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, USA
Employer: Luncheonette
Weight: 165
Complexion: Dark
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Black
Height: 5 10
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:13 am Going back to the leadership during the 70s and early 80s. Thanks to NickleCity for clearing a lot of this up with those documents.

It now looks like Magaddino and his son Peter officially kept their Boss and UnderBoss ranks until 1974 despite being forced to step down by the Capos. So piecing things together it looks like this.

Boss:
Stefano Magaddino (1922-1974) Demoted in 1969/Died.
-Salvatore “Sam” Pieri (1969-1970) Imprisoned.
-Joseph Fino (1970-1972) Demoted.
Salvatore Frangiamore (1974-1981) Stepped Down.
Joseph Todaro Sr.

Underbosses:
Peter Maggadino (1968-1974) Demoted in 1969.
-Joseph Fino (1969-1970) Became Acting Boss.
-Daniel Sansenese Sr. (1970-1972) Imprisoned.
Roy Carlisi (197?-1978)
Joseph Todaro Sr. (1978-1981) Became Boss.

Any idea who was the UnderBoss before Todaro Jr. got it in 1985?

Consigliere:
-Joseph DiCarlo Jr. (19??-197?)
Frederico Randaccio (197?-197?)
Joseph Pieri (197?-1987)
Came across another wrinkle. These documents allege Frangiamore was the Boss in ‘73. In ‘75 he and Carlisi retired & “Pieri assumed the role of leader along with Todaro.”
‘73 frangiamore boss.PNG
‘75 Frangiamore & Carlisle Retire, Todaro & Peri Lead LCN.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

To confuse the matter, Joe Valachi said Frank Valenti was one of the Buffalo members who traveled with Magaddino to NYC during the Castellammarese War. Valenti would have been young, but members were being made at Valenti's age and younger during that time. No clue how that matches up with Valenti's known residence 1929-1931. Valachi's info isn't perfect but he was familiar with Buffalo, Rochester, and later Ontario over the decades, so maybe there was some early interaction with Valenti via Buffalo.

Nickle -- thanks for sharing those reports. You're in your element on this.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

One thing is for certain the 1970s Buffalo administration is proving be as confusing to figure out as 1970s Genovese. :lol:

So it looks like Frangiamore was running thing as early 1973. If Mahaddino did keep his rank until his death Frangiamore would have been Acting. Probably since 1972 replacing Fino.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

NC -- Have you been able to confirm Richie Todaro Jr.'s membership and his relation, if any, to the other Todaros? He was high-placed in the family's bookmaking operations and was carried as a suspected member into the early 1970s.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:50 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:27 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:11 am
JCB1977 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:11 amStan Valenti married Tony Ripepi’s daughter in Pittsburgh, John Bazzano Jr married his other daughter. With the help of LaRocca, Ripepi helped his son in law Stan & brother Frank take over Rochester in or around 1961-62. In 1960, When the Pirates and the Yankees were playing in the World Series, Tony Ripepi through a lavish party at his mansion with Frank Sinatra being the guest of honor along with Dean Martin, both Valenti’s were still in Pittsburgh at that time. Frank was tight with Mike Genovese and Jo Jo Pecora. Valenti’s extended Family lived in Pittsburgh and both brothers went to live with an aunt for their formative years. If I am not mistaken, one of the brothers was born in Pittsburgh then they went to Rochester and came back to Pittsburgh to live with an aunt. I know I have it in my files I will search them sometime today. I never came across any evidence that Pittsburgh was paying Buffalo, but one Valenti went to Rochester, Buffalo got a percentage in Pittsburgh at a percentage of gambling and other racket profits. Frank made a big name for himself across the country while he was in Pittsburgh and he was close to the right people in Pittsburgh.
Frank Valenti was born in Pittsburgh according to wikipedia, source Soc Sec Death Index. Do we know when Frank moved to Rochester? Was Costenze Valenti ever in Pittsburgh long term or always Rochester-based? These seem like grey areas. Online I read the Valentis were Rochester powers as early as the late 50's.
Frank was definitely born in Rochester, NY in 1911-1912. He came to Pittsburgh when he was about 12 years old to live with a relative. 1920, 1925 and 1930 Census has him in Rochester. His brother Stan was born in 1926
Ok. And how about Constenze? Was he ever in Pittsburgh?
Frank was in Pittsburgh for many years, but always traveling to New York to see his family. I don’t believe Costenze had residency in Pittsburgh but he would certainly spend periods of time there. I believe he was about 15 years younger than Frank. But I would have to do a little background searching on him to be 100% positive. Frank was made in Pittsburgh according to a confidential informant sponsored by Tony Ripepi and made by John LaRocca and John “Jack” Cancelliere in 1947 or 1948. I don’t understand why Jack Cancelliere was there, Frank Amato Sr was boss since 1937 so I am assuming a boss is there when inducting a new member. Take with the informant said with a grain of salt, but I do believe that his time period of 1947-48 regarding Frank Valenti getting made is on par with when his star began to rise and he became a force along with Dominick Anzalone and Capo Tony Ripepi. Nobody fucked with Ripepi back in those days, he was essentially a territory boss and a very successful legitimate businessman. He was nationally and internationally well connected. Plus, Louie Volpe was confirmed at other making ceremonies and he was Amato’s close friend and East End/Turtle Creek neighbor.

I am assuming Valenti’s father was Calabrian, The marriage was arranged by Ripepi and Frank... and if there was ever one constant in Tony‘s life is that marrying another Calabrian for his daughters was an expectation. He was fanatical. I would be shocked if Frank’s family isn’t from that region of Italy. He also arranged the marriage between John Bazzano Jr and his other daughter along with Rose Bazzano who was close to Ripepi’s wife. I’ll start digging on some of their background tomorrow, now I’m curious about Stanley.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:58 pm NC -- Have you been able to confirm Richie Todaro Jr.'s membership and his relation, if any, to the other Todaros? He was high-placed in the family's bookmaking operations and was carried as a suspected member into the early 1970s.

Wasn't Richard Todaro the brother of Joe Sr? I thought I read that somewhere.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

JCB1977 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:58 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:11 amStan Valenti married Tony Ripepi’s daughter in Pittsburgh, John Bazzano Jr married his other daughter. With the help of LaRocca, Ripepi helped his son in law Stan & brother Frank take over Rochester in or around 1961-62. In 1960, When the Pirates and the Yankees were playing in the World Series, Tony Ripepi through a lavish party at his mansion with Frank Sinatra being the guest of honor along with Dean Martin, both Valenti’s were still in Pittsburgh at that time. Frank was tight with Mike Genovese and Jo Jo Pecora. Valenti’s extended Family lived in Pittsburgh and both brothers went to live with an aunt for their formative years. If I am not mistaken, one of the brothers was born in Pittsburgh then they went to Rochester and came back to Pittsburgh to live with an aunt. I know I have it in my files I will search them sometime today. I never came across any evidence that Pittsburgh was paying Buffalo, but one Valenti went to Rochester, Buffalo got a percentage in Pittsburgh at a percentage of gambling and other racket profits. Frank made a big name for himself across the country while he was in Pittsburgh and he was close to the right people in Pittsburgh.
Frank Valenti was born in Pittsburgh according to wikipedia, source Soc Sec Death Index. Do we know when Frank moved to Rochester? Was Costenze Valenti ever in Pittsburgh long term or always Rochester-based? These seem like grey areas. Online I read the Valentis were Rochester powers as early as the late 50's.
Frank was definitely born in Rochester, NY in 1911-1912. He came to Pittsburgh when he was about 12 years old to live with a relative. 1920, 1925 and 1930 Census has him in Rochester. His brother Stan was born in 1926
Frank was in Pittsburgh for many years, but always traveling to New York to see his family. I don’t believe Costenze had residency in Pittsburgh but he would certainly spend periods of time there. I believe he was about 15 years younger than Frank. But I would have to do a little background searching on him to be 100% positive. Frank was made in Pittsburgh according to a confidential informant sponsored by Tony Ripepi and made by John LaRocca and John “Jack” Cancelliere in 1947 or 1948. I don’t understand why Jack Cancelliere was there, Frank Amato Sr was boss since 1937 so I am assuming a boss is there when inducting a new member. Take with the informant said with a grain of salt, but I do believe that his time period of 1947-48 regarding Frank Valenti getting made is on par with when his star began to rise and he became a force along with Dominick Anzalone and Capo Tony Ripepi. Nobody fucked with Ripepi back in those days, he was essentially a territory boss and a very successful legitimate businessman. He was nationally and internationally well connected. Plus, Louie Volpe was confirmed at other making ceremonies and he was Amato’s close friend and East End/Turtle Creek neighbor.

I am assuming Valenti’s father was Calabrian, The marriage was arranged by Ripepi and Frank... and if there was ever one constant in Tony‘s life is that marrying another Calabrian for his daughters was an expectation. He was fanatical. I would be shocked if Frank’s family isn’t from that region of Italy. He also arranged the marriage between John Bazzano Jr and his other daughter along with Rose Bazzano who was close to Ripepi’s wife. I’ll start digging on some of their background tomorrow, now I’m curious about Stanley.
So Costenze might have never been with Pittsburgh, he might have been long-term Buffalo affiliated?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'll have to try and find the transcript later to confirm the exact wording, but the Valentis were discussed on the Magaddino office tapes in the early- or mid-1960s and he seems to say that Frank Valenti was made, but Costenze "Stanley" wasn't made at that time. Frank Valenti would become the Rochester captain around this time and shows up on a number of transcripts though he says very little.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

B. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 pm I'll have to try and find the transcript later to confirm the exact wording, but the Valentis were discussed on the Magaddino office tapes in the early- or mid-1960s and he seems to say that Frank Valenti was made, but Costenze "Stanley" wasn't made at that time. Frank Valenti would become the Rochester captain around this time and shows up on a number of transcripts though he says very little.
But if Stanley wasn't made yet in the 1960s, why was he at Apalachin in 1957, were non-made members allowed to attend?
antimafia
Full Patched

Re: The ‘Ndrangheta in Ontario

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:09 am
antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:00 am Please let me know whether you hit a paywall when tapping/clicking on the link below, in which case I'll try to find another URL.

Police still seeking Toronto man in wake of massive Canadian-Italian Mafia investigation

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/0 ... ation.html
Fourteen more individuals have been arrested, half of whom are living in the Greater Toronto Area.

Blitz contro le 'ndrine Muià, Figliomeni e Commisso: 16 arresti nella "Canada connection"
https://www.reggiotoday.it/cronaca/ndra ... resti.html

Il cuore a Siderno e il cervello a Toronto: la “longa manus” canadese delle ‘ndrine reggine
http://www.cn24tv.it/news/195238/operaz ... tagli.html
Italian Mafia boss visiting Canada unwittingly carried a police wiretap to his meetings

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/it ... -meetings/
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:02 pm
B. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:58 pm NC -- Have you been able to confirm Richie Todaro Jr.'s membership and his relation, if any, to the other Todaros? He was high-placed in the family's bookmaking operations and was carried as a suspected member into the early 1970s.

Wasn't Richard Todaro the brother of Joe Sr? I thought I read that somewhere.

Pogo
B. I think I did see him listed briefly in one of the first 4 sets of PDF’s. I’ll check to see if I can’t find him again, think it was in a section talking about bookmaking or he might have been indicted with Joe on tax fraud.

Pogo, that is what I remember hearing but don’t know if I’ve ever verified it.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:09 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:58 pm

So Costenze might have never been with Pittsburgh, he might have been long-term Buffalo affiliated?
It is possible...need to confirm it.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:48 pm
B. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 pm I'll have to try and find the transcript later to confirm the exact wording, but the Valentis were discussed on the Magaddino office tapes in the early- or mid-1960s and he seems to say that Frank Valenti was made, but Costenze "Stanley" wasn't made at that time. Frank Valenti would become the Rochester captain around this time and shows up on a number of transcripts though he says very little.
But if Stanley wasn't made yet in the 1960s, why was he at Apalachin in 1957, were non-made members allowed to attend?
Neil Migliore was there and he may have been made as late as the 1980s. Apalachin was a major networking event and maybe some key associates were invited to make national contacts even though they hadn't been made -- there is still a lot of mystery to Apalachin despite it being one of the most infamous mafia events.

I remember being surprised at Magaddino's comments for the same reason you said. He may have been referring to Frank Valenti being a member with Buffalo, while Stanley was a member elsewhere, and it came out sounding like Stanley simply wasn't a member. I need to find the exact transcript before I keep muddying the waters here, though. I have zero insight into Stanley Valenti or how Magaddino's comments fit in.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: The ‘Ndrangheta in Ontario

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

antimafia wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:53 pm
antimafia wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:09 am
antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:00 am Please let me know whether you hit a paywall when tapping/clicking on the link below, in which case I'll try to find another URL.

Police still seeking Toronto man in wake of massive Canadian-Italian Mafia investigation

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/0 ... ation.html
Fourteen more individuals have been arrested, half of whom are living in the Greater Toronto Area.

Blitz contro le 'ndrine Muià, Figliomeni e Commisso: 16 arresti nella "Canada connection"
https://www.reggiotoday.it/cronaca/ndra ... resti.html

Il cuore a Siderno e il cervello a Toronto: la “longa manus” canadese delle ‘ndrine reggine
http://www.cn24tv.it/news/195238/operaz ... tagli.html
Italian Mafia boss visiting Canada unwittingly carried a police wiretap to his meetings

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/it ... -meetings/
Thanks anti. Great post.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.