How Many Mafia Families Were There? 20,24,26???

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Re: How Many Mafia Families Were There? 20,24,26???

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

I already said the Genovese were the most powerful today. So I don't know why you keep posting quotes of people saying so. I'm talking about the era between Costello's retirement and Gotti's downfall.

Selwyn Raab wrote the most boring book ever made.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:44 pm I already said the Genovese were the most powerful today. So I don't know why you keep posting quotes of people saying so. I'm talking about the era between Costello's retirement and Gotti's downfall.

Leonetti's quote was during Gotti's era. And quotes I previously posted were to the effect that the Genovese family had always been the most powerful. Law enforcement officials like Richard Ross, Michael Chertoff, and Ronald Goldatock all said it. That always seemed to be Joe Coffey's view too. As did Al D'Arco. So did Selwynn Raab and Capeci's website. But I guess we should just go with your opinion, huh?

Anyway, now that it's been established you're as big of a bonehead about the mob as you are about politics, let's get back to the original point of this thread.
All roads lead to New York.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:01 pm
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:44 pm I already said the Genovese were the most powerful today. So I don't know why you keep posting quotes of people saying so. I'm talking about the era between Costello's retirement and Gotti's downfall.

Leonetti's quote was during Gotti's era. And quotes I previously posted were to the effect that the Genovese family had always been the most powerful. Law enforcement officials like Richard Ross, Michael Chertoff, and Ronald Goldatock all said it. That always seemed to be Joe Coffey's view too. As did Al D'Arco. So did Selwynn Raab and Capeci's website. But I guess we should just go with your opinion, huh?

Anyway, now that it's been established you're as big of a bonehead about the mob as you are about politics, let's get back to the original point of this thread.
My opinion is how is Leonetti’s assessment a measuring stick? It’s an opinion from a guy who was just rising to power, he had ties to Genovese Family through his Uncle. The Gambino’s had operations in CT and FL and Italy. Selwynn Raab-where are his sources for his analysis? He was an author, got his info second hand. My opinion is that power within the Big 2 in NY fluctuated over the years. What is power based on? Size of family? Revenue? Political protection? Territory size? Relationships/Representation with/of other families? It’s a debate that could never end. A great topic.
Last edited by JCB1977 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Oh, a bunch of New York guys think a New York family was always the most powerful. Breaking news.

Your Genovese fanaticism is hilarious.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:35 pm Oh, a bunch of New York guys think a New York family was always the most powerful. Breaking news.

Your Genovese fanaticism is hilarious.
I’m from the Midwest and Wiseguy from out West.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Where you from Grouchy?

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

JCB1977 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:39 pm Where you from Grouchy?
Better question, why do you and Wiseguy insist on making this personal?

Also, I wasn't talking about you when I said "New York guys", I was talking about the cops and writers Wiseguy was quoting.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:44 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:39 pm Where you from Grouchy?
Better question, why do you and Wiseguy insist on making this personal?

Also, I wasn't talking about you when I said "New York guys", I was talking about the cops and writers Wiseguy was quoting.
I’m not taking anything personal Grouchy, quite the contrary. No need to get upset, I gave my opinion above.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Genovese fan boy starts off with the insults then you want to know where I'm from. So you can say, 'hahaha, how can you know anything about the mob if you're from such and such town that's nowhere near NY?...buuuuurn!!!". Is that where you were going with that question? Of course it was.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:10 pm Genovese fan boy starts off with the insults then you want to know where I'm from. So you can say, 'hahaha, how can you know anything about the mob if you're from such and such town that's nowhere near NY?...buuuuurn!!!". Is that where you were going with that question? Of course it was.
I’m not laughing nor being confrontational. I thought that you meant that wiseguy and myself were from New York so I just asked what part of the country you were from. I don’t pretend to be an expert on New York but I have read most of the books that are out there, I read gangland thanks to the fellas on here...nor do I have a horse in this race so back off a bit. One of the most educated guys on the mob that I know is a researcher from the Netherlands. I don’t think it matters where you are from, it matters how much research and documentation one could obtain to learn more. We have another poster from California that is probably the biggest expert on Chicago on the entire forum.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

@Grouchy Sinatra.

You would have loved Furio, his posts were pure entertainment. You two would have become fast friends. ;)

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:35 pm Oh, a bunch of New York guys think a New York family was always the most powerful. Breaking news.
Feel free to quote any Chicago guys saying the same thing about the Outfit.

*crickets*
All roads lead to New York.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

JCB1977 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:22 pm @Grouchy Sinatra.

You would have loved Furio, his posts were pure entertainment. You two would have become fast friends. ;)
Furio is known to make things up so clearly this is your implication about me as well. You and Wiseguy are a couple of punks. The Genovese were not the most powerful family in America between Costello's retirement and the downfall of the Gambinos. It will also pain you two cosa nostra groupies to know that everything the Italian mafia knew about racketeering they learned from the Jews.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:26 pm
Feel free to quote any Chicago guys saying the same thing about the Outfit.

*crickets*
Well I could say Gus Russo and William Roemer but then you'll just discredit them even though the hacks you named from New York don't have any more credibility than they do, so what's the point?

It's just a waste of time arguing with people like you and JCB. You guys have an agenda and you'll stick to it. The Italian mob in New York runs NATO, the World Bank, NASA, and The Death Star. And anyone who argues otherwise is just a novice idiot who watches too many documentaries.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:34 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:22 pm @Grouchy Sinatra.

Furio is known to make things up so clearly this is your implication about me as well. You and Wiseguy are a couple of punks. The Genovese were not the most powerful family in America between Costello's retirement and the downfall of the Gambinos. It will also pain you two cosa nostra groupies to know that everything the Italian mafia knew about racketeering they learned from the Jews.
Punks? I was referring to Furio fucking up a cup of coffee, I think you and him would have had some entertaining arguments. I could see you get excited and paranoid at the same time. You shouldn’t assume anything, haven’t you heard? I’m aware of the Jews, but thank you kindly for a revelation that I never would have put together in a million years. How in the fuck did you come up with that groundbreaking newsflash? Jews? Organized crime? No fucking way! And I could assure you that the Calabrians and Neapolitans didn’t copy the Jewish Syndicate’s business model nor work with any Jews. The Jews worked mostly with Sicilian LCN within the origins of OC. No need to get manic Grouchy, it’s not worth it homie.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP