Commission membership

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Re: Commission membership

Post by maxiestern11 »

thekiduknow wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:10 pm DeCavalcante was used as a messenger during the early 1960s between Bonanno and the Commission. I don’t think he had a seat, but from what I gather he often spoke for them, along with Zerilli and Bruno, who were members.
From time to time as the need arises, anyone can be designated as a “representative” for the commission. DeCavalcante was indeed just that during the 1960’s. Specifically Sam was tapped by Carlo among others to reach out and speak to Bonanno and various members as an “extension” of the commission itself. When that’s done, the person so designated is in fact a “member” of the particular mini-Commission relative to the issue at hand.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:13 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:10 pm DeCavalcante was used as a messenger during the early 1960s between Bonanno and the Commission. I don’t think he had a seat, but from what I gather he often spoke for them, along with Zerilli and Bruno, who were members.
From time to time as the need arises, anyone can be designated as a “representative” for the commission. DeCavalcante was indeed just that during the 1960’s. Specifically Sam was tapped by Carlo among others to reach out and speak to Bonanno and various members as an “extension” of the commission itself. When that’s done, the person so designated is in fact a “member” of the particular mini-Commission relative to the issue at hand.
Thinking back, I believe you’re right Maxie. I’ll have to check when I get home but I believe I read a wiretap transcript of Tommy Eboli talking about a commission meeting where DeCavalcante addressed them about the Bonanno situation. If I recall correctly it was him giving his opinion about it, not just recounting what Bonanno told him so it would seem that DeCavalcante was, like you said, a “member” in this case.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Homerthedog wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:24 am I have read at numerous times and in numerous places about various bosses being on the Commission. In particular, Russell Bufalino, Sam DeCavalcante, and Jack Dragna. It's my understanding that the Commission historically consisted of the heads of the Five Families, the Chicago Outfit, and Maggadino of Buffalo until his death in 1974. Apparently the membership expanded in the early 1960s with Zerilli of Detroit and Bruno of Philadelphia, and they held their seats until their deaths.
I realize that the Five Families and Chicago seem to have had permanent seats, while the others had seats due to their reputations. Bruno had just become boss in Philadelphia prior to his elevation to the commission, so it might not be reputation in his case.
As to Bufalino and DeCavalcante, while they were highly respected by their peers, their families weren't that big enough to justify commission membership as I suspect was Bruno's case.
As to Jack Dragna, I doubt seriously he would have been on the commission, since the guys back east didn't think highly of his family in the first place, and didn't Luciano send Bugsy Siegel to the west coast to "supervise" the wire and other rackets there?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
What you described above is how Capeci described it, i.e. the 5 NY families, Buffalo, and Chicago; with Philadelphia and Detroit later on.

You read enough and you'll probably find at least one claim for most families being on the Commission at some point. Take it with a grain of salt.
All roads lead to New York.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

ALL families (or I should say family bosses) in the United States are automatically members of the commission! Just because not all of them actually “seat in” on every meeting means nothing. Their interests are always recognized and represented by a sitting member. And when the need arise, THAT particular boss can/will be contacted and may even “sit” at that time with other bosses..... to have ALL bosses (24-26) constantly sit, especially when their interests may not be at stake (remember small families in the Midwest or west coast have little to no interest in NY affairs) wasn’t required or desired...... obviously the larger, more powerful families have a permanent seat on the commission. But “technically” ALL bosses (in theory anyway) are created equal!..... or supposed to be! LOL..... I believe that was a rule! ..... Today who knows, but originally that was the deal..... before 57’ and Apalachin their were bosses and their key reps (consigllieri etc) that actually traveled around the country constantly on commission business and to dish out commission edicts by word of mouth, in person, to other leaders. After Apalachin and the intense LE scrutiny created, it all changed, and became on a “need to meet basis, and on a need to know basis” only. For CN security. ......: as the decades progressed, the commission became even more careful and circumspect in their dealings and interaction with one another as a required precaution.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:41 pm ALL families (or I should say family bosses) in the United States are automatically members of the commission! Just because not all of them actually “seat in” on every meeting means nothing. Their interests are always recognized and represented by a sitting member. And when the need arise, THAT particular boss can/will be contacted and may even “sit” at that time with other bosses..... to have ALL bosses (24-26) constantly sit, especially when their interests may not be at stake (remember small families in the Midwest or west coast have little to no interest in NY affairs) wasn’t required or desired...... obviously the larger, more powerful families have a permanent seat on the commission. But “technically” ALL bosses (in theory anyway) are created equal!..... or supposed to be! LOL..... I believe that was a rule! ..... Today who knows, but originally that was the deal..... before 57’ and Apalachin their were bosses and their key reps (consigllieri etc) that actually traveled around the country constantly on commission business and to dish out commission edicts by word of mouth, in person, to other leaders. After Apalachin and the intense LE scrutiny created, it all changed, and became on a “need to meet basis, and on a need to know basis” only. For CN security. ......: as the decades progressed, the commission became even more careful and circumspect in their dealings and interaction with one another as a required precaution.
Mmm...that's not really how Capeci described it. He said it was decided the Commission would be composed of the 5 NY family bosses, the Chicago boss, and the Buffalo boss. That seems pretty exclusive. Capeci went on to say that the families without a seat on the Commission would "work through a Commission member to voice their concerns." Meaning those other families, in theory or practice, were not Commission members.

Incidentally, he also said Angelo Lonardo (through a careless answer during the Commission trial) mistakenly said two past Cleveland bosses had been Commission members.
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Frank Milano was the one of the original commission members
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:12 pm
maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:41 pm ALL families (or I should say family bosses) in the United States are automatically members of the commission! Just because not all of them actually “seat in” on every meeting means nothing. Their interests are always recognized and represented by a sitting member. And when the need arise, THAT particular boss can/will be contacted and may even “sit” at that time with other bosses..... to have ALL bosses (24-26) constantly sit, especially when their interests may not be at stake (remember small families in the Midwest or west coast have little to no interest in NY affairs) wasn’t required or desired...... obviously the larger, more powerful families have a permanent seat on the commission. But “technically” ALL bosses (in theory anyway) are created equal!..... or supposed to be! LOL..... I believe that was a rule! ..... Today who knows, but originally that was the deal..... before 57’ and Apalachin their were bosses and their key reps (consigllieri etc) that actually traveled around the country constantly on commission business and to dish out commission edicts by word of mouth, in person, to other leaders. After Apalachin and the intense LE scrutiny created, it all changed, and became on a “need to meet basis, and on a need to know basis” only. For CN security. ......: as the decades progressed, the commission became even more careful and circumspect in their dealings and interaction with one another as a required precaution.
Mmm...that's not really how Capeci described it. He said it was decided the Commission would be composed of the 5 NY family bosses, the Chicago boss, and the Buffalo boss. That seems pretty exclusive. Capeci went on to say that the families without a seat on the Commission would "work through a Commission member to voice their concerns." Meaning those other families, in theory or practice, were not Commission members.

Incidentally, he also said Angelo Lonardo (through a careless answer during the Commission trial) mistakenly said two past Cleveland bosses had been Commission members.
With all due respect to Jerry, although admittedly very knowledgeable and has or had very good sources, is still far from infallible, and I don’t really know how he explained it, but the way I’ve understood it (and I’m not perfect either of course) this is how it was layed out.

And whether a boss runs a 10 member family like Caputo in Madison or Genovese with a 250-300 member family in NYC, “technically” all are equal and automatically become part of the “upper structure” or “commission” when they raise up to the boss seat.
-
Now don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying that they each have sat at the actual table, nor in “reality” is a Caputo or Balistrieri anywhere close to as powerful as a NYC, Chicago, or Detroit Boss such as Genovese, Profaci, Accardo or Zerilli.

But decades ago, from year to year, the commission has expanded and contracted to include Bruno (Philadelphia), (Detroit), Magaddino (Buffalo), Giancana (Chicago), etc....and again as the years past, the LE scrutiny increased, and the “feasibility and logic” and power for that matter changed, so did the membership and seats on the commission.
-
To the point now and in last recent couple of decades where only the NYC Five families actually get together.
-
For Pete’s sake it’s gotten to the point where there is NO meetings anymore, certainly not in a formal way as in decades past right?
-
So I think it makes sense, especially if you examine prior documentation and mob history, and will bare out what I’m trying to express here.
-
And yes you are right, many smaller families who didn’t actually sit on the commission did “work” through stronger and larger bosses/Families, to have their voices heard, but “technically” speaking, they are STILL members of the commission!...... ALL BOSSES ARE!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

A boss was still the boss of his own family and Commission members technically didn't "outrank" any of the other bosses around the US (though in reality they did), as they were meant to be "representatives" in the same way that a boss is called the rappresentante of his own family, and each Commission member did represent other bosses around the US. Bompensiero gave two examples of this, one where Dragna reported suspicions that Willie Moretti was an informant to his Commission rep Tommy Lucchese, who presented the matter to the Commission. Another was when Dragna and Bompensiero became upset about mafia members trafficking drugs through San Diego via Tijuana which led to them lodging a complaint with the Commission via Lucchese.

In early 1940, the US Treasury Department received information from Treasury reps in Milan, Italy, that they had obtained "reliable" info about the "Grand Consul" of the "Sicilian Underworld Gang in the US". The "Grand Consul" was said to consist of the following names:

Joseph Traina
Vincent Mangano
Philip Mangano
Joe Bonanno
Joe Profaci
Paul Ricci
Stefano Magaddino
Al Polizzi
Frank Milano

For a 1940 Treasury report it is a surprisingly accurate list for the era. We have multiple guys from the Gambinos and Cleveland listed, but the inclusion of Traina is of particular note. He was Philadelphia's Commission contact in 1950 and through the entire decade of the 1960s, probably going back to when he represented D'Aquila in the ~1919 election of Salvatore Sabella. He also collected money from the Philadelphia family on behalf of the Commission into the late 1960s for the Commission's "war chest". Traina worked closely with the Commission and this 1940 report reflects the involvement and influence he had in Commission matters despite not being an actual Commission member.

Phil Mangano was by all accounts a top aide to his brother's leadership, which is reinforced by their simultaneous murders, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he was involved in Commission activities or accompanied his brother as an aide in Commission matters. Joe Bonanno said that Commission members could bring an aide to meetings.

Not sure what to say about the two Cleveland names. Nick Gentile claimed Milano/Cleveland was one of the original Commission members. Gentile had been involved in high-level affairs related to the forming of the Commission and had been on a peace committee during the war that could be seen as a sort of prototype for the Commission. He very well could have been the 1940 treasury source as well.

One informant claimed Joe Bonanno was the last boss to get elected to the original Commission, whatever that implies I don't know. They were supposed to confirm the Commission membership in five year intervals and changes could be made at that time, so it's possible the 1931 Commission had some small differences with the 1936 Commission, etc. which led to some discrepancies in memory/timeline.
Homerthedog
Associate

Post by Homerthedog »

Of course there is still so much we still don't know about the Cosa Nostra even with the informants etc. I remember before the Commission case many pundits doubted the very existence of a commission. Although it seems logical that there had to be some means of regulating disputes, especially in New York and the open territories, short of war like the Castellamarrse War. Either case an interesting discussion with good points by many.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:51 pm]And whether a boss runs a 10 member family like Caputo in Madison or Genovese with a 250-300 member family in NYC, “technically” all are equal and automatically become part of the “upper structure” or “commission” when they raise up to the boss seat.
What are you basing this on? Something specific or just how you've always understood it? All bosses being equal (in theory, not in practice) is one thing. But where did you get the idea that a guy becomes part of the Commission once he becomes a boss?
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

B. wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:35 pm A boss was still the boss of his own family and Commission members technically didn't "outrank" any of the other bosses around the US (though in reality they did), as they were meant to be "representatives" in the same way that a boss is called the rappresentante of his own family, and each Commission member did represent other bosses around the US. Bompensiero gave two examples of this, one where Dragna reported suspicions that Willie Moretti was an informant to his Commission rep Tommy Lucchese, who presented the matter to the Commission. Another was when Dragna and Bompensiero became upset about mafia members trafficking drugs through San Diego via Tijuana which led to them lodging a complaint with the Commission via Lucchese.

In early 1940, the US Treasury Department received information from Treasury reps in Milan, Italy, that they had obtained "reliable" info about the "Grand Consul" of the "Sicilian Underworld Gang in the US". The "Grand Consul" was said to consist of the following names:

Joseph Traina
Vincent Mangano
Philip Mangano
Joe Bonanno
Joe Profaci
Paul Ricci
Stefano Magaddino
Al Polizzi
Frank Milano

For a 1940 Treasury report it is a surprisingly accurate list for the era. We have multiple guys from the Gambinos and Cleveland listed, but the inclusion of Traina is of particular note. He was Philadelphia's Commission contact in 1950 and through the entire decade of the 1960s, probably going back to when he represented D'Aquila in the ~1919 election of Salvatore Sabella. He also collected money from the Philadelphia family on behalf of the Commission into the late 1960s for the Commission's "war chest". Traina worked closely with the Commission and this 1940 report reflects the involvement and influence he had in Commission matters despite not being an actual Commission member.

Phil Mangano was by all accounts a top aide to his brother's leadership, which is reinforced by their simultaneous murders, and it wouldn't be a surprise if he was involved in Commission activities or accompanied his brother as an aide in Commission matters. Joe Bonanno said that Commission members could bring an aide to meetings.

Not sure what to say about the two Cleveland names. Nick Gentile claimed Milano/Cleveland was one of the original Commission members. Gentile had been involved in high-level affairs related to the forming of the Commission and had been on a peace committee during the war that could be seen as a sort of prototype for the Commission. He very well could have been the 1940 treasury source as well.

One informant claimed Joe Bonanno was the last boss to get elected to the original Commission, whatever that implies I don't know. They were supposed to confirm the Commission membership in five year intervals and changes could be made at that time, so it's possible the 1931 Commission had some small differences with the 1936 Commission, etc. which led to some discrepancies in memory/timeline.
Very good points made B, and I think it augments what I was trying to bring out about the commission and it’s function and viability through many potential member “assets” So to speak operating on its behalf, all of them during that “functioning” being commission “reps” and
Part of it, if only for that particular duration...... and I had forgotten about Cleveland being allegedly “on the commission” in those earlier years!
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

The Commission was the Commission with select bosses, they met infrequently but every five years, 1931, 1936, 1941 up to 1956, they had national meetings of all the bosses which the commission presided over. These national meetings go back to at least 1909 and NY functioned as a grand council that early on as well.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Eline2015 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:23 pm Frank Milano was the one of the original commission members
Yes he was.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:00 pm
B. wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:35 pm A boss was still the boss of his own family and Commission members technically didn't "outrank" any of the other bosses around the US (though in reality they did), as they were meant to be "representatives" in the same way that a boss is called the rappresentante of his own family, and each Commission member did represent other bosses around the US. Bompensiero gave two examples of this, one where Dragna reported suspicions that Willie Moretti was an informant to his Commission rep Tommy Lucchese, who presented the matter to the Commission. Another was when Dragna and Bompensiero became upset about mafia members trafficking drugs through San Diego via Tijuana which led to them lodging a complaint with the Commission via Lucchese.

Joseph Traina
Vincent Mangano
Philip Mangano
Joe Bonanno
Joe Profaci
Paul Ricci
Stefano Magaddino
Al Polizzi
Frank Milano

Very good points made B, and I think it augments what I was trying to bring out about the commission and it’s function and viability through many potential member “assets” So to speak operating on its behalf, all of them during that “functioning” being commission “reps” and
Part of it, if only for that particular duration...... and I had forgotten about Cleveland being allegedly “on the commission” in those earlier years!
Keep in mind that Frank Milano was Calabrian, they came from San Roberto. I have also seen reports that allegedly Gianni Bazzano was a commission member. He was also Calabrian.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Nepa31
Straightened out

Post by Nepa31 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:13 pm
100% spot on