Commission membership

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Homerthedog
Associate

Commission membership

Post by Homerthedog »

I have read at numerous times and in numerous places about various bosses being on the Commission. In particular, Russell Bufalino, Sam DeCavalcante, and Jack Dragna. It's my understanding that the Commission historically consisted of the heads of the Five Families, the Chicago Outfit, and Maggadino of Buffalo until his death in 1974. Apparently the membership expanded in the early 1960s with Zerilli of Detroit and Bruno of Philadelphia, and they held their seats until their deaths.
I realize that the Five Families and Chicago seem to have had permanent seats, while the others had seats due to their reputations. Bruno had just become boss in Philadelphia prior to his elevation to the commission, so it might not be reputation in his case.
As to Bufalino and DeCavalcante, while they were highly respected by their peers, their families weren't that big enough to justify commission membership as I suspect was Bruno's case.
As to Jack Dragna, I doubt seriously he would have been on the commission, since the guys back east didn't think highly of his family in the first place, and didn't Luciano send Bugsy Siegel to the west coast to "supervise" the wire and other rackets there?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Homerthedog
Associate

Re: Commission membership

Post by Homerthedog »

Thanks for the chart. I wasn't aware that Zerilli and Bruno were "demoted". And I remember now that Maggadino lost control of his family before his death.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Santo Traficante is the Boss of Florida. He sits on the fucking Commission did you know that?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

The other day on my facebook page, I had a fight with a guy who argued that Lansky or Eastman were members of the Commission. I'm tired of reading that kind of bullshit.

Concerning Zerilli & Bruno, Frattiano reports in The Last Mafioso that Roselli tells him that the Commission has fired Detroit & Phily and that now (probably at the beginning of the 70s as Roselli is alive) the Commission boils down to the 5 families & Outfit.
In one of Bill Bonanno's books, he tells that Pittsburgh also has a seat (it's in the 50s if my memory is correct). On the other hand it is the first time that I read that Tampa had a seat.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

motorfab wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:28 am The other day on my facebook page, I had a fight with a guy who argued that Lansky or Eastman were members of the Commission. I'm tired of reading that kind of bullshit.

Concerning Zerilli & Bruno, Frattiano reports in The Last Mafioso that Roselli tells him that the Commission has fired Detroit & Phily and that now (probably at the beginning of the 70s as Roselli is alive) the Commission boils down to the 5 families & Outfit.
In one of Bill Bonanno's books, he tells that Pittsburgh also has a seat (it's in the 50s if my memory is correct). On the other hand it is the first time that I read that Tampa had a seat.
There were reports that John LaRocca had a seat on the commission in the 1950's as well as John Scalish in Cleveland. Genovese Family represented both of them.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Homerthedog
Associate

Post by Homerthedog »

I believe Meyer Lansky could attend Commission meetings and give advice at least during the reigns of Luciano and Costello. Some people confuse the Italian-Jewish confederation formed in 1929 with the Cosa Nostra Commission.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Homerthedog wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:58 am I believe Meyer Lansky could attend Commission meetings and give advice at least during the reigns of Luciano and Costello. Some people confuse the Italian-Jewish confederation formed in 1929 with the Cosa Nostra Commission.
Exactly.
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone: On the 1963 Cosa Nostra chart, prepared by Ralph Salerno for the 1976 Senate hearings into the Kennedy Assassination, there were 9 Bosses pictured as members of the Commission at the top of the chart: Gambino, Genovese, Lucchese, Bonanno, Maggadino, Giancana, Bruno, Zerilli, and Patriarca. Columbo was not pictured as a member of the Commission.

Comments?

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

BeatiPaoli wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:44 am To Everyone: On the 1963 Cosa Nostra chart, prepared by Ralph Salerno for the 1976 Senate hearings into the Kennedy Assassination, there were 9 Bosses pictured as members of the Commission at the top of the chart: Gambino, Genovese, Lucchese, Bonanno, Maggadino, Giancana, Bruno, Zerilli, and Patriarca. Columbo was not pictured as a member of the Commission.

Comments?

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
I don't think Colombo was boss in 1963. As for Patiarca that's up for debate. I don't think Colombos had an official boss yet that was recognized by the Commission
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

DeCavalcante was used as a messenger during the early 1960s between Bonanno and the Commission. I don’t think he had a seat, but from what I gather he often spoke for them, along with Zerilli and Bruno, who were members.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Homerthedog wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:58 am I believe Meyer Lansky could attend Commission meetings and give advice at least during the reigns of Luciano and Costello.
Is there any evidence ever from all the stuff we know about the commission and its meetings that a non mafia member ever attended a commission meeting? I'm inclined to believe Meyer Lansky never even came close to attending a commission meeting.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

johnny_scootch wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:32 pm
Homerthedog wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:58 am I believe Meyer Lansky could attend Commission meetings and give advice at least during the reigns of Luciano and Costello.
Is there any evidence ever from all the stuff we know about the commission and its meetings that a non mafia member ever attended a commission meeting? I'm inclined to believe Meyer Lansky never even came close to attending a commission meeting.
I cant remember if it was in Selwyn Raab’s “Five Families” Or TJ English’s “Havana Nocturne”, but I’m pretty sure in one of those books they talk about Lansky attending commission meetings but not necessarily participating. I could be wrong but I’m gonna try and find it.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

JCB1977 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:32 am
motorfab wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:28 am The other day on my facebook page, I had a fight with a guy who argued that Lansky or Eastman were members of the Commission. I'm tired of reading that kind of bullshit.

There were reports that John LaRocca had a seat on the commission in the 1950's as well as John Scalish in Cleveland. Genovese Family represented both of them.
Al Polizzi and Frank Milano were supposed to have represented Cleveland in the 1930s, but apparently got removed, maybe for the killing of Joseph Romano.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Homerthedog wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:58 am I believe Meyer Lansky could attend Commission meetings and give advice at least during the reigns of Luciano and Costello. Some people confuse the Italian-Jewish confederation formed in 1929 with the Cosa Nostra Commission.
anyway the fact that lucky luciano or the italians in the states formed the commission in 1931 is just bullshit, the commission existed much earlier in sicily like the ranks boss, underboss, consigliere, capodecina, the mafia in the states was just a branch of the sicilian one at the ending of 1800s