How Many Mafia Families Were There? 20,24,26???

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Homerthedog
Associate

Re: How Many Mafia Families Were There? 20,24,26???

Post by Homerthedog »

Did the Commission have a standard, as far as anybody knows, to consider a family as independent and not just a large crew?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:48 am I remember reading way back when that Providence and Boston were originally 2 separate families. I don't remember where I read it or if it was even accurate.

Pogo
Pre 1920's during the days of the Black Hand Society, they were two different groups
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Homerthedog wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 am Did the Commission have a standard, as far as anybody knows, to consider a family as independent and not just a large crew?
Not sure but Capeci said Rochester never received formal approval from the Commission to break away from Buffalo.
All roads lead to New York.
Homerthedog
Associate

Post by Homerthedog »

I see can see why Rochester got away with it since the Commission was dealing with the Bonanno and Colombo wars. Good timing for Rochester.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:27 am
Homerthedog wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 am Did the Commission have a standard, as far as anybody knows, to consider a family as independent and not just a large crew?
Not sure but Capeci said Rochester never received formal approval from the Commission to break away from Buffalo.
Interesting, that would mean they never truly were their own family from the perspective of the national mafia.

DiLeonardo said that when he met Frank Valenti, who by then lived in Tucson, Valenti had been assigned to Pete Milano by the Commission, so the Commission was still involved in Valenti's affairs later on.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: How Many Mafia Families Were There? 20,24,26???

Post by Lupara »

Frank wrote:
sdeitche wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 am I did a search and didn't see a similar thread, But Wiseguys' post on the Buff/Ontario thread got me thinking- based on these:

"Once boasting 26 families nationwide, the mob is down to 11, half of those confined to the New York area. Moreover, the Mafia's influence still extends far beyond New York. There remain active families in Chicago, Detroit, New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Miami." (US News & World Report, 2000)

"Operation Button Down, the codename for the FBI's campaign to crush the Mafia, reduced the number of families operating in the United States from 24 to only nine, FBI officials said. (CNN, 2004)

"The federal government's hit list for the Mafia once included nearly 20 cities...'" (Washington Post, 1992)

What is the correct number of mob families at peak (say late 1950s/early 60s)? I get 26.

Bonanno
Bufalino
Buffalo
Cleveland
Colombo
Dallas
DeCavalcante
Denver
Detroit
Gambino
Genovese
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Luchesse
Madison
Milwaukee
New England
New Orleans
Philly
Pittsburgh
Rockford
San Fracisco
San Jose
Springfield
St. Louis
Tampa
You forgot Chicago.
How can one forget Chicago. Unforgivable. Muted.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

You heard it here, folks:

Scott Deitche doesn't believe there was ever a Chicago family.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

B. wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:44 pm You heard it here, folks:

:D
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:You heard it here, folks:

I sense a new book is being written based on new research that indicates Chicago was a Madison crew.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Lupara wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 pm

I sense a new book is being written based on new research that indicates Chicago was a Madison crew.
That was just the Bagheria faction in Chicago who was under Madison's influence. Chicago as a whole was a faction of the DeCavalcante family run by Phil Bacino until the 1970s, at which point Chicago broke off and merged with Buffalo.

--

May or may not be relevant to this topic, but there's still the mystery of the Vancouver, BC mafia group once led by relatives of Nick Gentile from Siculiana. Discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4246
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chicago was never even a real Costa Nostra family anyway.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Forget Accardo. Carlo Caputo was the real top boss of the Midwest!
Last edited by sdeitche on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Interestingly I remember reading some articles from the 1960s that stated Frank Zito of Springfield was the "worst hoodlum" outside the city of Chicago.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

sdeitche wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:54 am

Forget Accardo. Carlo Caputo was the real top boss of the Midwest!

Lol, Carlo Caputo headed a “Family” if you want to call it that of appx 10 +/- members. Hardly a top figure! We’ve got skippers in NYC That ran a single crew with upwards or 30-40 members + associates.

Caputo couldn’t carry Capone’s or Accardo’s jock strap let alone surpass them in influence and power! Even Balistrieri ran a borgata much larger than Caputo.
Zerilli is another boss to name just one more that out muscled Caputo. I’d say that Caputo was probably the least influential of any boss in the USA during that era!... with the possible exception of San Jose or similar Cali outfit
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Sarcasm is clearly not your strong suit.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.