Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by B. »

Couple of things I came across:

- Falzone's nickname was "Nard" and his heritage is from Caltanissetta, like the Todaros. His father was born in Serradifalco like early members in the Buffalo family.

- The Todaros and Panepintos are related through the marriage of Joe Todaro Jr.'s son. The Panepintos came from Valledolmo, Caltanissetta.

The family bosses for around the last 40 years, active or not, all appear to come from Caltanissetta backgrounds, plus the family's first known boss DiCarlo was from Vallelunga and influential member Montana was from Montedoro. Angelo Acquisto, Magaddino's underboss who was demoted in the 1950s, was from Serradifalco as were some other Acquisto loyalists who lost standing. When you look at the big picture, it's been pretty dominated by men from Caltanissetta except for Magaddino's long run, but even then he was followed in leadership, acting or official, by Pieri, Frangiamore, the Todaros, and Falzone, with Panepinto and John Pieri as consiglieres -- all Caltinissetta heritage, with some intermarriage/relation.

A look at social media shows that the relatives of all these people are close to this day even among younger generations, so there is still some degree of community among the Buffalo area people of Caltanissetta backgrounds, specifically families with longstanding ties to the Buffalo family. They all appear legitimate and I only mention this as an observation.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:56 am Couple of things I came across:

- Falzone's nickname was "Nard" and his heritage is from Caltanissetta, like the Todaros. His father was born in Serradifalco like early members in the Buffalo family.

- The Todaros and Panepintos are related through the marriage of Joe Todaro Jr.'s son. The Panepintos came from Valledolmo, Caltanissetta.

The family bosses for around the last 40 years, active or not, all appear to come from Caltanissetta backgrounds, plus the family's first known boss DiCarlo was from Vallelunga and influential member Montana was from Montedoro. Angelo Acquisto, Magaddino's underboss who was demoted in the 1950s, was from Serradifalco as were some other Acquisto loyalists who lost standing. When you look at the big picture, it's been pretty dominated by men from Caltanissetta except for Magaddino's long run, but even then he was followed in leadership, acting or official, by Pieri, Frangiamore, the Todaros, and Falzone, with Panepinto and John Pieri as consiglieres -- all Caltinissetta heritage, with some intermarriage/relation.

A look at social media shows that the relatives of all these people are close to this day even among younger generations, so there is still some degree of community among the Buffalo area people of Caltanissetta backgrounds, specifically families with longstanding ties to the Buffalo family. They all appear legitimate and I only mention this as an observation.
1 Re. The Cast.DG-ese, outside of NYC they really didn't have Cast factions in other cities. There might have been a few in Buffalo and one in Detroit and a few in Philadelphia, but in each example's cases there is evidence of other larger more dominant factions such as the ones you pointed out above.

2 How familiar are you with 1960-1987. I'm trying to get a better understanding but these various factions are not easy for me to sort through. Any suggested (online) reading that I might better acquaint myself?

3 The Scibettas of Hamilton were from Raculmuto. Ciao Jilly
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:24 am
2 How familiar are you with 1960-1987. I'm trying to get a better understanding but these various factions are not easy for me to sort through. Any suggested (online) reading that I might better acquaint myself?
For what it is worth RJ Rios has a long thread on twitter that highlights the factions in Buffalo during that time period. He seems to be very knowledgeable. Here is the thread: https://twitter.com/mobbuffalo/status/1 ... 64384?s=21
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

Niagarafalls wrote:Didn’t Desjardins cross the border and visit Buffalo during the initial turmoil in Montreal? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
Yes I've always found that intriguing and very telling. He went to Buffalo and New York which indicates there was already collaboration between the two in the reorganization in Montreal and the rest of Canada.

I think Montagna's stay is almost as significant as Galante's. The latter put things together while the other was in the process of restoring that. His murder did not put a halt to it as we now know, it only postponed it.

Who knows, in the future we might learn that Vito Rizzuto's sudden death wasn't a coincidence either. When he died, his group instantly became vulnerable for new attacks because they no longer had the support from New York. I think the other clan leaders in Montreal were very aware of this and saw an opportunity to use it to their advantage.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Joe Todaro Sr. ("Leadpipe Joe") was born in Buffalo. Via his father, Antonino, the Todaros have ancestry from Montallegro in Agrigento. Via Joe Sr.'s. mother, Salvatrice Frangiamore ("Sarah"), the Todaros have ancestry from Mussomeli in Caltanissetta.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Yes, Karly and Joe 3 Todaro got married in 93. Here is a link to their wedding announcement. https://buffalonews.com/1993/09/07/mrs-todaro-2/ Their reception was at Samual’s Grand Mannor which was built by the Pezzino family (allegedly a made member—per a Pezzino relative). There is another article about the FBI presences at Joey III’s wedding: https://buffalonews.com/1993/09/12/off-main-street-209/
NickleCity
Full Patched

Re: Buffalo - Alive and well?

Post by NickleCity »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:09 pm
mobinfiltrator wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:51 am Took the name of the Govr out. But here’s your connections from the Musitano’s to Buffalo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What year was this from?
Looks like an Edward L. Smith (likely a son of Edward L Smith on this document?) is an attorney at the Panepinto Law Firm: http://www.dolcepanepinto.com/attorneys ... smith-iii/

And and FYI for those that don’t know attorney and form NY State senator Marc Panepinto (Don’s son) served as Arthur Coia’s personal assistant in the 90’s.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

NickleCity wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:01 am
Chris Christie wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:24 am
For what it is worth RJ Rios has a long thread on twitter that highlights the factions in Buffalo during that time period. He seems to be very knowledgeable. Here is the thread: https://twitter.com/mobbuffalo/status/1 ... 64384?s=21
Yes it is. This is not the thread for it but I'd like to map out these factions at some point:
Magaddino Faction (Joe Fino, Natarelli, Randaccio, Dan Sansanese and John Cammilleri)
Frangiamore-Todaro Faction
Pieri-DiCarlo Faction
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:24 am 1 Re. The Cast.DG-ese, outside of NYC they really didn't have Cast factions in other cities. There might have been a few in Buffalo and one in Detroit and a few in Philadelphia, but in each example's cases there is evidence of other larger more dominant factions such as the ones you pointed out above.

3 The Scibettas of Hamilton were from Raculmuto. Ciao Jilly
1. What's interesting is that both the Pittston and Buffalo families had strong representation and leadership from Caltanissetta but both families also had a significant Castellammarese faction. Joe Barbara's Endicott / SW NYS group was mostly from CDG and influential in the Bufalino family at least while he was alive.

2. I'll help as best I can in the chart thread. I'm sure Pogo can provide leads as well.

3. Antimafia has pointed out that the Bordonaros of Hamilton were from Racalmuto as well, which was Bonanno captain Nick Alfano's hometown and he was documented making a phone call to Calogero Bordonaro, so Alfano appears to have had ties to Ontario in addition to Montreal. Stefano Magaddino tells one story on his office bug that appears to have taken place in the 1920s and Bordonaro is mentioned as being involved. While most of what we know about the Buffalo Ontario group involves the Calabrians, the Scibettas and Bordonaros give us an idea of the earlier Sicilian foundations there.
antimafia wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:24 am Joe Todaro Sr. ("Leadpipe Joe") was born in Buffalo. Via his father, Antonino, the Todaros have ancestry from Montallegro in Agrigento. Via Joe Sr.'s. mother, Salvatrice Frangiamore ("Sarah"), the Todaros have ancestry from Mussomeli in Caltanissetta.
Thanks for clarifying that it is the maternal side of Todaro that is from Caltanissetta. Interestingly, Montallegro is right next to Cattolica Eraclea in Agrigento and both are relatively close to Racalmuto.
NickleCity wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:01 am For what it is worth RJ Rios has a long thread on twitter that highlights the factions in Buffalo during that time period. He seems to be very knowledgeable. Here is the thread: https://twitter.com/mobbuffalo/status/1 ... 64384?s=21
For those unaware, RJ Rios is Little Joe Shots from the old RD board.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

In the mid-1980s, boss Joe Todaro and Bufalino leader Edward Sciandra were photographed meeting with Nicky Scarfo in Florida, so the elder Todaro used Florida as an opportunity to meet with other Cosa Nostra figures and gives some precedent to the younger Todaro allegedly meeting with Violi in Florida to conduct Cosa Nostra affairs.

Let me also add, I believe the deceased boss Joe Todaro "Sr." has a different middle initial from his son, who we call "Jr.", and "Jr." is technically Joe Todaro Sr. and his son who is the face of the pizza franchise is the real Joe Todaro Jr. (sometimes called "III"). The current alleged boss is named Joseph Todaro Sr. Not an important detail except when doing research and making accurate lists.

The elder Todaro's relationship to Edward Sciandra is interesting too because the Sciandras were from Montedoro, Caltanissetta, like the Sciandras in Buffalo and there may be relation between the Sciandras in both organizations. In the same social media check mentioned earlier, I saw that the Sciandras of Buffalo are very close to the Todaros still today.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

They call joe todaro III “Joey” todaro
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

You know Moscone, you made Black Hand Forum Mafia Discussion History: the first post on a 200 page thread!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:39 pm You know Moscone, you made Black Hand Forum Mafia Discussion History: the first post on a 200 page thread!
Did he make the post from Florida? I heard he beat out 30 other board members for that post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:16 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:39 pm You know Moscone, you made Black Hand Forum Mafia Discussion History: the first post on a 200 page thread!
Did he make the post from Florida? I heard he beat out 30 other board members for that post.
I messaged him from Florida after clearing it with the Commission.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:23 pm
B. wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:16 pm
I messaged him from Florida after clearing it with the Commission.
Boy, this thread is active. But is it viable? I feel like an argument could be made that it's not.