Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Angelo Santino »

NickleCity wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:59 am
eboli wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:43 am It's worth of note by 1998 the FBI still considered the Bufallo CF to have been viable, but with a "weak pulse" and unlikely to rebound. This state continued for the duration of the unions investigation and they were written off as defunct/extinct in the years after it wrapped up.

https://buffalonews.com/1998/01/31/the- ... the-times/
But CISC in Canada indicated the “Todaro” Crime family was “powerful” in 1999 when a new boss was put in place in the Ontario region after Pops. See the Grant LaFlanche article antimafia posted about.
Do you have that article?
Is Rocco Luppino heading up what was the former Pops crew? Who succeeded Papalia?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

antimafia wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:34 am ^^^^
Here you go:

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... c350b448f1
Great read, thanks Anti!
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

eboli wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:43 am It's worth of note by 1998 the FBI still considered the Bufallo CF to have been viable, but with a "weak pulse" and unlikely to rebound. This state continued for the duration of the unions investigation and they were written off as defunct/extinct in the years after it wrapped up.

Local 210 to Buffalo was much like Local 394 to the DeCavalcantes, i.e. the powerbase for each family. Losing those was a big blow to those organizations.
All roads lead to New York.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:54 am And in 2014 the Family was reconstituted while ailing Leonard Falzone was boss. While I know nothing about the man, if he was boss since 2006 (source?) why wait until 2014 to reconstruct? Given his age, makes me wonder if external forces pushed for the Family's regeneration. And given what's come out the likely suspects are the Bonannos. But why? If Buffalo was officially defunct (in the eyes of NYC, not the FBI) then the Bonannos- in theory- would have the right to go into Buffalo's former territory.

So much we don't know.
maybe it was just protocol because some buffalo members (joe todaro and others) are still alive, maybe violi wanted to join a small family but with a high rank rather than bonanno's, or maybe the other families didn0t want the bonanno's expanded so much taking over ontario also... joe todaro lives in florida and there was a meeting of the commission over there according to violi
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

Here you go:

I believe that in a an earlier post, Mr. Manning identified the individual referenced in this article as Antonio Commisso?
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

scagghiuni wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:53 am
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:54 am And in 2014 the Family was reconstituted while ailing Leonard Falzone was boss. While I know nothing about the man, if he was boss since 2006 (source?) why wait until 2014 to reconstruct? Given his age, makes me wonder if external forces pushed for the Family's regeneration. And given what's come out the likely suspects are the Bonannos. But why? If Buffalo was officially defunct (in the eyes of NYC, not the FBI) then the Bonannos- in theory- would have the right to go into Buffalo's former territory.

So much we don't know.
maybe it was just protocol because some buffalo members (joe todaro and others) are still alive, maybe violi wanted to join a small family but with a high rank rather than bonanno's, or maybe the other families didn0t want the bonanno's expanded so much taking over ontario also... joe todaro lives in florida and there was a meeting of the commission over there according to violi
He vacations in Florida. But is in Buffalo most of the time. He is always at La Nova-see him all the time there.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

scagghiuni wrote:

So much we don't know.
He could've joined the Bonannos and still become capo for them in Canada due to his father's legacy, who was de facto capo.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Lupara wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:08 pm
scagghiuni wrote:

So much we don't know.
He could've joined the Bonannos and still become capo for them in Canada due to his father's legacy, who was de facto capo.
I agree, I strongly suspect LCN protocol was the reason if the Bonannos had a hand in resuscitating Buffalo. If the Family is recognized within the mafia universe as being there, they are prohibited from having activity in that territory without an OK. San Francisco and Scranton are evidence to that. But while that's a rule just like every other rule we've seen examples of it being broken. Fratianno while misrepresenting himself as Acting Boss went to NY and accurately made the case that Los Angeles had too many unsanctioned east coast and Chicago members there and that if someone tried that in NYC that they'd be murdered for it. But the general takeaway is its a rule, it's the reason why D'Elia was treated as The Boss of Scranton despite no existing Family there. One potential way around that rule is for a Family to be taken under its wing by another Family. We seen this with Tampa and the Gambinos and Chicago was rumored to have this arrangement with other midwestern groups. Not saying that the Bonannos took Buffalo under their wing, but so far that's the only Family in NY we have seen Buffalo linked to. Could be a coincidence or something more to that.

Rather than say there's no more functioning commission, let me say that the ruling body went dormant in 1985 unless there's a reconstituted body have regular meetings I wouldn't consider bosses being bosses occasionally working in a quid pro quo basis as a commission. But I'm sure not everyone will agree with me there which is fine.

Regarding Violi joining Buffalo instead of Bonanno, it's interesting. Perhaps one day we'll understand the backstory and circumstances a little more.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

NickleCity wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:59 am

But CISC in Canada indicated the “Todaro” Crime family was “powerful” in 1999 when a new boss was put in place in the Ontario region after Pops. See the Grant LaFlanche article antimafia posted about.
Yes, I've read it. I don't think it really contradicts the FBI's conclusion from the previous year. Sure, they have been making moves, more or less successful, but even in the Lafleche article there is talk about how organized crime isn't the same as it was in the past, "shaky alliances" instead of a more definite statement of direct control. The "powerful" claims I read more like compared to the oc structures in Canada and not compared to other crime families in the USA. In the late 90's I don't think anyone made the claim the family was dormant.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:58 am 1 Did the FBI ever state Falzone succeeded Todaro Sr in 2006?
2 According to what reports have Falzone retiring and Panaro being made Acting Boss?
--
3 Leonard's nickname "the Calzone" has been labeled as such since the name first began being thrown around in the 2000's. I'm not very focused on what his nickname is, if its proven incorrect I'll take it down. But it predates Scott Burnstein's nickname fetish. In 1991 court filings he wasn't listed with any nickname: https://casetext.com/case/us-v-falzone

1. Never that I have seen. In the 2006 FBI chart Todaro Sr. was the listed Boss and Falzone a Soldier. I don't think he was
Consigliere either. That was fresh street talk on the forums. Donald "Turtle" Panepinto was listed as Consigliere in the 1997 chart and he died in 2011.

2. None that I have seen. His name came up in articles from 2010 and 2015. No mention of him being the Boss.

3. Pretty sure the Calzone thing first appeared with ScottB. Never seen I mentioned anywhere else before he used it.

This 2017 article talks about Falzone and makes no mention of him being Boss or Consigliere. When he died the local Buffalo paper did an article on him and made no mention of being the Boss or Consigliere either. "The Calzone" never appeared either nor did appear on the 2006 FBI chart even though other nicknames were included.

https://buffalonews.com/2017/03/19/fbi- ... perations/
Here in Buffalo, Leonard F. Falzone, long identified by the FBI as a mob enforcer and leader of loansharking operations, was sentenced to federal prison for five years in 1996. A trusted comrade turned against him, testified at Falzone’s trial and joined the federal Witness Protection Program.

Falzone, whom prosecutors had called one of the region’s most feared mob figures in his prime, died of an illness late last year. He was 81.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:45 pm I agree, I strongly suspect LCN protocol was the reason if the Bonannos had a hand in resuscitating Buffalo. If the Family is recognized within the mafia universe as being there, they are prohibited from having activity in that territory without an OK. San Francisco and Scranton are evidence to that. But while that's a rule just like every other rule we've seen examples of it being broken. Fratianno while misrepresenting himself as Acting Boss went to NY and accurately made the case that Los Angeles had too many unsanctioned east coast and Chicago members there and that if someone tried that in NYC that they'd be murdered for it. But the general takeaway is its a rule, it's the reason why D'Elia was treated as The Boss of Scranton despite no existing Family there. One potential way around that rule is for a Family to be taken under its wing by another Family. We seen this with Tampa and the Gambinos and Chicago was rumored to have this arrangement with other midwestern groups. Not saying that the Bonannos took Buffalo under their wing, but so far that's the only Family in NY we have seen Buffalo linked to. Could be a coincidence or something more to that.
i don't know exactly how it works in the american lcn, but in the sicilian mafia if a family is dismantled (it happened even over there) the made members left were put under another family forever or until it is reformed... if a family starts to operate in another territory or if something happens in a place (a murder for example) the made members who live there have to be informed about even if there is not any family, so the fact they informed todaro it doesnt mean buffalo is active, i think is active according to what violi said in the wiretaps
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

They merged with Pueblo.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Clark wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:04 am
Here you go:

I believe that in a an earlier post, Mr. Manning identified the individual referenced in this article as Antonio Commisso?
Aren't the Commisso Ndrangheta?
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Maybe the Commisso were absorbed by Buffalo. That would explain the 18 missing Buffalo members.