Big GQ article on the American Mob

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Big GQ article on the American Mob

Post by TwoPiece »

Bruno187 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:16 pm It was Zef Mustafa. A bad guy...him and his brother. He didn't actually "do" anything as far as running the place, but he was always there. Vinnie owned it at that time and it was pretty much being run by his son John, but the bar was always full of wiseguys from that crew.
The food was not bad, but better places in the neighborhood.
who would you say has the best food in the area these days?
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

TwoPiece wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:35 am
Bruno187 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:16 pm It was Zef Mustafa. A bad guy...him and his brother. He didn't actually "do" anything as far as running the place, but he was always there. Vinnie owned it at that time and it was pretty much being run by his son John, but the bar was always full of wiseguys from that crew.
The food was not bad, but better places in the neighborhood.
who would you say has the best food in the area these days?
Not to butt in or be intrusive, But , Popeyes chicken is hands down number one in the area . Nobody has anything on Popeyes, Delicious and fun for the whole family
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

If it were a few years ago (early 2000's) I would have said Roberto's without hesitation. He's opened a bunch of places around both the neighborhood and in the city and Westchester, and in my opinion, spread himself too thin. The food is good, a bit expensive, but not standout because he's never around.
The other places in the neighborhood are Italian-American places and worthy of checking out maybe for other reasons....like Rigoletto's for the bar scene which is now not what it was that all the Westside guys went away. Mario's is an old-time red sauce joint that actually makes awesome pizza in addition to the restaurant. Roberto's has an offshoot called 089 (for the area code for Salerno) and it's more reasonably priced and decent food. If you go during the daytime as a tourist or shopper your best bet might be to grab something at one of the places in the Arthur Ave market. Great people watching for a few bucks.
Anyway, hope that little bit helps.
Oh and Popeyes chicken is actually the best fast food chicken around IMHO. It's Daniel Cormier's kryptonite. ;)
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Bruno187 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:43 pm If it were a few years ago (early 2000's) I would have said Roberto's without hesitation. He's opened a bunch of places around both the neighborhood and in the city and Westchester, and in my opinion, spread himself too thin. The food is good, a bit expensive, but not standout because he's never around.
The other places in the neighborhood are Italian-American places and worthy of checking out maybe for other reasons....like Rigoletto's for the bar scene which is now not what it was that all the Westside guys went away. Mario's is an old-time red sauce joint that actually makes awesome pizza in addition to the restaurant. Roberto's has an offshoot called 089 (for the area code for Salerno) and it's more reasonably priced and decent food. If you go during the daytime as a tourist or shopper your best bet might be to grab something at one of the places in the Arthur Ave market. Great people watching for a few bucks.
Anyway, hope that little bit helps.
Oh and Popeyes chicken is actually the best fast food chicken around IMHO. It's Daniel Cormier's kryptonite. ;)
Big Fan of Dominick’s on Arthur Ave and the meats from Calabria Pork Store
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

Dominick's has always been a good place. My old man used to say "It's like eatin' in the can in that joint" because the tables are all set close to one another and you wind up sitting next to somebody you don't know. Some people might be put off because of the menu and check thing, but it's one of those things you go there to experience. This is one of the places I missed, talking about the ambiance, and not necessarily the food.
The pork store is an interesting destination if you've never been there. You're not going to get his in the head with sopressata anywhere else like that.
Calandra's cheese store a bit further down from Calabria towards the corner is a good place to stop too.
The food in the neighborhood is mostly solid...no longer any real standouts...but an interesting place to pass an afternoon shopping and eating or even getting a bite before a Yankee game.