Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by antimafia »

Slumpy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:31 pm thank you AM, not sure how i missed this thread. Its turning my understanding of Montreal on its head. It looks as a though Humphreys and Lamothe's book was wrong about a lot.
You're welcome, Slumpy.

I bought the 2014 edition of The Sixth Family even though Humphreys told me when it first came out that I would probably not find much new in this third edition. However, the reason I bought it a year later is not to see whether he was right but the fact that, on another organized-crime board, Lupara had recommended I buy the book (despite his own reservations about this newest edition). I am grateful to Lupara to this day.

There are errors in The Sixth Family, Mafia inc., and Business or Blood. Sometimes, when we posters are evaluating the errors, we blame the authors with good reason; sometimes, though, we are wrong to blame the authors -- instead, we should determine whether the errors would have been made by anyone.

Because the 2014 edition of The Sixth Family came out before Business or Blood did in 2015, Humphreys beat Edwards and Nicaso to the punch in providing the latest assessments about the mob war in Montreal. (It's well known that Humphreys did all the research for the 2008 and 2014 updated editions.)

I've written here before that Humphreys is approachable and accessible. In person, I asked him point-blank why he and Lamothe didn't know that Vitale travelled to Montreal twice within a six-month period after Sciascia was murdered. Humphreys told me that at the time he and Lamothe were writing the 2006 first edition, the available information was that Vitale had provided information -- not to the co-authors themselves -- that he had travelled to Montreal in 2001 rather than in 1999. So I am unsure at times which of Vitale's revelations are true or ring true. Humphreys and Lamothe obviously also took Vitale at his word when Vitale revealed that Sciascia sought permission for Joe Lo Presti's murder ex post facto -- this has been the prevailing opinion for the longest time, and when I first read it in the 2006 edition of The Sixth Family, I didn't question the opinion at all.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Vitale seems like a bullshit artist to me or someone suffering from Alzheimer or another mental disorder that clouds his memories. Anyway, you're very much welcome. The 2014 edition offered some nice details about the days of Vito's return to Canada but other than that not much. The most intriguing part was the New York 'hostage' the Rizzuto people were provided to guarantee Vito's safe entry into Canada. That was the first real evidence of New York's involvement in the coup despite Montagna's role which was downplayed by some posters using the argument that he was on his own and a "one man army".
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Some of what Vitale said regarding the Commission's status also conflicted with information later given by Massino after he flipped.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Not really. They just had a different opinion on what constitutes the Commission.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 pm
antimafia wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 am French-language article to which I've linked below is in relation to the trial for one of the two suspects charged in the June 2016 murder of Angelo D'Onofrio. You might recall that this killing is believed to have been a case of mistaken identity -- the intended target was supposedly Tony Van(n)elli.

Meurtre au café Hillside: un accusé incapable de continuer le procès

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... proces.php
Daniel Renaud has written another article about this matter. He indicates that just a few hours after D'Onofrio was killed, Tony Van(n)elli was advised by two SPVM investigators (Montreal police force) that he was the intended target. This morning, one of these investigators testified to this at the trial of one of the two accused suspects.

Meurtre au café Hillside: la police a rencontré le mafioso Tony Vanelli

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... anelli.php
Daniel Renaud's latest article -- about the testimony given by one of the people charged in the murder of Angelo D'Onofrio -- mentions a number of names of individuals who have been part of the Montreal Mafia organization or in its orbit. The article may shed some light on the murder of Antonio De Blasio and on one of the murder attempts on Marco Pizzi.

Web Archive link:

https://web.archive.org/save/https://ww ... ividus.php
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Original link works for me:

www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justice-et-f ... ividus.php

Could these attacks on the Rizzuto group simply be coming from Salvatore Scoppa? Must've been the steroids messing with his mind thinking he was strong enough to go up against them.

Renaud needs to update his book again.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Lupara wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:31 am Original link works for me:

www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justice-et-f ... ividus.php

Could these attacks on the Rizzuto group simply be coming from Salvatore Scoppa? Must've been the steroids messing with his mind thinking he was strong enough to go up against them.

Renaud needs to update his book again.
Can you post this article in English?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

JCB1977,

Here's a translation for which I used Google Translate:

Posted on May 16, 2019 at 7:08 pm | Updated May 16, 2019 at 9:15 pm

Hillside Coffee Murder: Second Defendant Denies Everything and Blames Two Other Individuals

DANIEL RENAUD
La Presse

His vehicle may have been seen on Fleury Street in front of Hillside Café on June 2, 2016, the day a regular from the establishment was killed by mistake, but he was not driving, says Ebamba Ndutu Lufiau.

The 30-year-old man, accused of the murder of Angelo D'Onofrio confused with the man of honor of the Montreal mafia Antonio Vanelli, testified for his defense yesterday and today.

Lufiau is believed to have spotted his car, a gray Nissan Maxima 2011, before the murder, and to have driven the shooter, Jeff Joubens Theus, already convicted of murder after a jury trial.

Before testifying, Lufiau submitted motions that his car could have been occupied by one of his friends, Vladimir Laguerre, or an acquaintance, Jordy Milius, at the time of the crime.

Judge Daniel Royer of the Superior Court allowed the motions declaring admissible the proof that Laguerre or Milius "could have participated in the murder of Mr. D'Onofrio" by carrying out, for the first, of the locating before the crime and by driving, for the second, the vehicle at the moment of flight.

Several mafia names evoked

The evidence surrounding these two motions revealed that on September 21, 2016, Milius and Theus were arrested near the residence of the parents of a mafia-related individual, Erasmo Crivello. The police found a gun in Milius's car and a picture of Crivello in his wallet.

As regards Laguerre, the evidence shows that he was arrested at the wheel of Lufiau's car on the first day of August 2016, the day on which an individual linked to the mafia, Marco Pizzi, was the victim of an attempted murder.

It was also reported that on January 6, 2017, Laguerre and Antonio de Blasio made three passes in front of the Hillside café and once in front of Antonio Vanelli's residence.

A major crimes investigator at the SPVM, Gilles Gagné, said that during the Mazout investigation-which led to the arrest of Theus and Lufiau- De Blasio and Laguerre were considered intermediaries; De Blasio being the one who took the orders of the mafia clans and Laguerre, the one who gave them to the street performers.

Coded language

During his testimony, Lufiau told Judge Royer that in June 2016, Vladimir lodged him and he lent him his car four or five times, but he did not remember the exact dates.

"I am not convinced that he did not participate in the crime," he replied during a close cross-examination.

Faced with the fact that a toque containing his DNA was found within hours of the murder, among half-burned clothes and a license plate, Lufiau said he did not recognize woolen cloth. He suggested, however, that the toque could have been in his car and that someone to whom he had lent his vehicle could have carried it.

He further stated that in June 2016, he did not go to Theus.

But during his strong against-examination, Me Katerine Brabant pummeled the witness with conversations captured by the police, making it particularly noticed that he was not very angry against Theus and Laguerre, while, defends-t- he, they would have used his car to commit murder.

The prosecutor also pointed out that he spoke in code and used the letter "M" to speak of murder.

"Yes, it's because I was selling pot," said Lufiau.

"And M, it's always been used for the word murder. It happens often, by people around me. It's urban language. There are even some who say that TM is for attempted murder," he also explained.

In a March 23, 2017 conversation with Theus's wife, Lufiau gasps when she tells him that an investigator has come to see her and told him that there is a remote camera. "The investigator told you about a car?" Lufiau worried.

The trial continues tomorrow with a short debate on a motion and the pleadings of both parties.

Recall that Lufiau had begun to stand trial with Theus but had to withdraw because of health problems. The trial resumed where it was rendered in his case, but before judge alone this time.

Jeff Joubens Theus was sentenced to life.

Antonio De Blasio was murdered in front of his son, at the end of a football practice, in the middle of the park, in the borough of Saint-Léonard, in August 2017. Detective Sergeant Gilles Gagné testified that he was reportedly arrested and charged with gangsterism in the aftermath of the Mazout Inquiry had he not been killed.

Vladimir Laguerre was arrested after the fuel oil investigation and charged with conspiracy and possession of a weapon. He is currently detained.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Thanks Antimafia...I should have just used google translate. Appreciate you doing it:
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Cross-posting.
-----------------
Link below is to a short article by Claude Poirier, who is most well known in Quebec for his work as a hostage negotiator.

Il n’y a plus de code d’honneur dans le milieu criminel

https://www.lecourrierdusud.ca/opinion/ ... -criminel/
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

"According to my police sources, street gang members are in the pay of people who want to kill other people."

As Spock would say, it's logical :lol:
Who is Claude Poirier ? A Journalist ?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:06 am Cross-posting.
-----------------
Link below is to a short article by Claude Poirier, who is most well known in Quebec for his work as a hostage negotiator.

Il n’y a plus de code d’honneur dans le milieu criminel

https://www.lecourrierdusud.ca/opinion/ ... -criminel/
The above link no longer works; so please use the following link instead:

http://web.archive.org/save/https://www ... -criminel/
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Mafia montréalaise: Alessandro Sucapane peut retourner chez lui

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... ez-lui.php
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:03 am
antimafia wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:52 pm
antimafia wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 am French-language article to which I've linked below is in relation to the trial for one of the two suspects charged in the June 2016 murder of Angelo D'Onofrio. You might recall that this killing is believed to have been a case of mistaken identity -- the intended target was supposedly Tony Van(n)elli.

Meurtre au café Hillside: un accusé incapable de continuer le procès

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... proces.php
Daniel Renaud has written another article about this matter. He indicates that just a few hours after D'Onofrio was killed, Tony Van(n)elli was advised by two SPVM investigators (Montreal police force) that he was the intended target. This morning, one of these investigators testified to this at the trial of one of the two accused suspects.

Meurtre au café Hillside: la police a rencontré le mafioso Tony Vanelli

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... anelli.php
Daniel Renaud's latest article -- about the testimony given by one of the people charged in the murder of Angelo D'Onofrio -- mentions a number of names of individuals who have been part of the Montreal Mafia organization or in its orbit. The article may shed some light on the murder of Antonio De Blasio and on one of the murder attempts on Marco Pizzi.

Web Archive link:

https://web.archive.org/save/https://ww ... ividus.php
Getaway driver found guilty of manslaughter in death of Ahuntsic man

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... ntsic-man/
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Montrealer who died in U.S. prison regretted rejecting plea deal

“Do I regret today saying no to that deal? Of course I do. I am 72 years of age and in bad health.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... -plea-deal