The Departed Question

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

dixiemafia
Full Patched

Re: The Departed Question

Post by dixiemafia »

motorfab wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:19 am
JeremyTheJew wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:29 am Departed is a re make of the Chinese Triad movies called, Infernal Affairs.

It was not written by Scorsese at all.

And Costello changed his name bc he thought it'd be easier having a Irish last name.
Absolutely but Scorsese has adapted a bit of the scenario so that Nicholson looks like Bulger. In Internal Affairs the character of Eric Tsang does not collaborate at all in secret with the cops for example.
Agreed. Scorsese definitely adapted to the story. Like it or not, this movie DOES have the Bulger background that makes people think Whitey Bulger when they watch the movie. It is one of my favorites even though it's not true to the Bulger story of course.

Motorfab, I have French on my Yankee side as well. I know some of y'all don't know but my Grandfather was a country hick that grew up 20 miles East of where I live today and my Grandmother was a true Yank from Camden New Jersey so I have ties to the North & South even though I never stepped foot up North until Hurricane Sandy hit. My old man was even born up there but my Grandfather didn't quite like living in the "big city". Where he grew up, the WHOLE county only has like 18,000 people today :lol: :lol:

But saying that I'll get to my French side, it was DuBois. Me and one of my cousins both research our ancestry and he said it's pronounced "Do-Bose" instead of "Do-Bois" but I'm not sure if that's totally true or not. Looking the other day I finally found the tie to General Patton, he is distant but an actual cousin of mine as we share a set of DuBois Grandparents. They have said it was some kind of French royalty but I don't know, I do know they ended up in Belgium before coming to America and setting up shop basically in Philly and the surrounding areas.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Heathen
Straightened out

Post by Heathen »

Bulger is a anglicized version of the Irish name O' Bolguidhir which is Irish Gaelic. Whitey Bulger's father was from Newfoundland, which was settle in large part by Irish speaking immigrants.
Heathen
Straightened out

Post by Heathen »

Costello is also an anglicized version of an Irish language surname.
crazyjoegallo
Straightened out

Post by crazyjoegallo »

IMO Scorsese choose the name because Frank Costello are more simple to rember that Mickey Finnegan or tTony O'Duffy. In fact I remember the name but not the other character names. :lol: :lol: :lol: