Facts about Frank Cali (pre-murder)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Eld
Straightened out

Re: Facts about Frank Cali (pre-murder)

Post by Eld »

B. wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:56 pm
- The LoVerdes, previously described as Cali's business partners and top legitimate associates, did constant business with Gambino capodecina Carmine Sciandra's Top Tomato stores. Sciandra was a member of Tommy Gambino's crew and Sciandra's father Gandolfo "Buddy" was described in 1960s FBI reports as a cousin of Carlo Gambino in addition to being Gambino's driver and close associate. I have never been able to substantiate the Sciandra and Gambino relation. Buddy Sciandra's father Carmelo (namesake of Carmine) was from Montedoro, like the Sciandras of the Bufalino family. It looks like Buddy's mother was an Albanese from Polizzi, Sicily, which is in Palermo province but not near Carlo Gambino's origins.
Buddy Sciandra married one daughter of Salvatore Guglielmini and Peter Castellana (Big Paul's cousin) married another. And Salvatore Guglielmini's son Frank married a Castellano woman, possibly a from the Castellano/Gambino clan.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Eld wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:33 pm
B. wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:56 pm
- The LoVerdes, previously described as Cali's business partners and top legitimate associates, did constant business with Gambino capodecina Carmine Sciandra's Top Tomato stores. Sciandra was a member of Tommy Gambino's crew and Sciandra's father Gandolfo "Buddy" was described in 1960s FBI reports as a cousin of Carlo Gambino in addition to being Gambino's driver and close associate. I have never been able to substantiate the Sciandra and Gambino relation. Buddy Sciandra's father Carmelo (namesake of Carmine) was from Montedoro, like the Sciandras of the Bufalino family. It looks like Buddy's mother was an Albanese from Polizzi, Sicily, which is in Palermo province but not near Carlo Gambino's origins.
Buddy Sciandra married one daughter of Salvatore Guglielmini and Peter Castellana (Big Paul's cousin) married another. And Salvatore Guglielmini's son Frank married a Castellano woman, possibly a from the Castellano/Gambino clan.
Thanks, Eld. That could very well explain the so-called "cousin" relationship. We know of mafia members from Montedoro in PA and Buffalo, though I've never seen any in NYC. I'd be curious if Carmelo Sciandra was involved with the early Gambino family, as his age would have put him under the radar by the time most sources came around. Buddy Sciandra was listed as a possible member by the FBI in the 1960s and the NYPD had him as a soldier on their wall chart, but I don't believe he was ever made despite his close relationship to Gambino, involvement in crime, and son's membership.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

B. you are correct buddy was never made..speaks volumes
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

bronx wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 pm B. you are correct buddy was never made..speaks volumes
Why was he never made?
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

carlo ,then paul did not see him as material to be in the life.
FriendofFamily
Full Patched

Post by FriendofFamily »

At some point I may merge this topic in with the Big Frank Cali Thread
Know which Game to Play
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I wouldn't, only because that topic is mostly speculation while this topic has been mostly limited to facts and what we know about Cali. I think lots of valuable info gets lost if we merge it with all of the junk in the other topic.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I know I posted this already, but thought it should be under this topic.

Capeci and his sources still had Cali as Underboss . Also said that he was well liked by his Gambino Family peers and other NYC wiseguys Ending speculation that he was demoted and in the outs with the Sicilian and maybe others in the Family.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Frank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:16 am I know I posted this already, but thought it should be under this topic.

Capeci and his sources still had Cali as Underboss . Also said that he was well liked by his Gambino Family peers and other NYC wiseguys Ending speculation that he was demoted and in the outs with the Sicilian and maybe others in the Family.
Well, it should end speculation but that doesn't necessarily mean it will.
All roads lead to New York.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am
Frank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:16 am I know I posted this already, but thought it should be under this topic.

I love speculating, but I like having the at the moment facts even better.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Facts about Frank Cali (pre-murder)

Post by Lupara »

Frank wrote:

Speculation is there in an attempt to fill in the blanks when there is a lack of facts to explain everything.

When there are enough facts, there is no need to speculate.

But God forbid posters here are going to speculate, because that will surely bring about the demise of this forum. It's blasphemy and people should be punished for it. There is no place for such ignorant fools in heaven.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

FriendofFamily wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:23 am At some point I may merge this topic in with the Big Frank Cali Thread
This topic has nothing to do with his murder and there is good discussion in this thread distinct from that clusterfuck of a thread. As the one who started it, I ask you not to. Thank you.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

B. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:50 am
FriendofFamily wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:23 am At some point I may merge this topic in with the Big Frank Cali Thread
This topic has nothing to do with his murder and there is good discussion in this thread distinct from that clusterfuck of a thread. As the one who started it, I ask you not to. Thank you.
I agree.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: RE: Re: Facts about Frank Cali (pre-murder)

Post by Wiseguy »

Lupara wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 am
Frank wrote:

Speculation is there in an attempt to fill in the blanks when there is a lack of facts to explain everything.

When there are enough facts, there is no need to speculate.

But God forbid posters here are going to speculate, because that will surely bring about the demise of this forum. It's blasphemy and people should be punished for it. There is no place for such ignorant fools in heaven.
Agreed. But there's enough facts to verify that Cali was underboss, no? Hence, no need for speculation anymore.
All roads lead to New York.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Snakes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:24 am I wouldn't, only because that topic is mostly speculation while this topic has been mostly limited to facts and what we know about Cali. I think lots of valuable info gets lost if we merge it with all of the junk in the other topic.
All this is in felices post about the sicilians, and most of it is in the Franky Boy articke