Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by Lupara »

Not sure if this article was posted here, but this is telling:

While Gene Gotti was in prison in the 1990s, he hatched a plan with a Gambino family associate: They would keep up a strict workout routine at the prison gym, federal agents learned. They had to stay in shape, Mr. Gotti reportedly said, because once they got out, he was going to retake control of the Gambino enterprise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/nyre ... gotti.html
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: RE: Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by TommyNoto »

Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 pm
johnny_scootch wrote:
Strax wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:11 pm
Well its against 'rules', do not kill anyone in front of his house/family.
What rule book is this from? There are plenty of examples of guys being killed in front of their homes and or their family. It's a great place to catch someone off guard.
I think it's mostly an unwritten rule, but if they can only get someone at his home they won't shy away from it.
Andimo Pappadio who some say was an acting boss / UB/ ruling panel was killed in his driveway in front of his wife so I agree that home hits happen all the time . Scoppo was another one
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm Not sure if this article was posted here, but this is telling:

While Gene Gotti was in prison in the 1990s, he hatched a plan with a Gambino family associate: They would keep up a strict workout routine at the prison gym, federal agents learned. They had to stay in shape, Mr. Gotti reportedly said, because once they got out, he was going to retake control of the Gambino enterprise.

If he really is behind this,he must be extremely stupid, he is old and spent 30 years in prison. What is he going to get by taking Cali out? Its all Sicilians on top, you need to whack a whole bunch of them to retake control.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

bronx wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm on page six i said it could be personal..meaning not mob related ..i still stick by it..
Bronx. A personal beef implies the killer knew Cali. Or at least if his statue. Clipping Cali over a personal beef would end your life and put your family seriously in danger.
I think on this basis the likelihood of it being personal is therefore unlikely.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Good point Sonny, personal beef doesn't make sense unless the killer was backed by some serious people. Even then, they wouldn't approve unless they wanted him gone anyway. All logic points towards it being a hit, especially now we know that they only talked for a minute before Cali was shot at.
TonyG
Prospect

Post by TonyG »

Another consideration is the shooter was sent by the Mexican DTO that owned that load. They move that kind of weight. Perhaps Cali was to provide security to get the load in, and something fell apart, and the Mexican DTO decided he had to pay for it. The hit is consistent with the way they do their business. They will kill people in front of their family, at their home, etc. Hell, they usually kill the family too.

Maybe the West Side found out Cali was moving it through their docks, and gave it up to LE. The Mexicans thought Cali had an agreement with the Genovese's, and feel played. The West Side is pissed Cali is moving loads through their docks without cutting them in, and or big drug loads that bring a lot of LE attention. Who knows?

Maybe I live too close to the border, but the Mexican's have a very long reach, especially if they feel crossed or someone was careless. I would not underestimate them.
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

TonyG wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:05 pm Another consideration is the shooter was sent by the Mexican DTO that owned that load. They move that kind of weight. Perhaps Cali was to provide security to get the load in, and something fell apart, and the Mexican DTO decided he had to pay for it. The hit is consistent with the way they do their business. They will kill people in front of their family, at their home, etc. Hell, they usually kill the family too.

Maybe the West Side found out Cali was moving it through their docks, and gave it up to LE. The Mexicans thought Cali had an agreement with the Genovese's, and feel played. The West Side is pissed Cali is moving loads through their docks without cutting them in, and or big drug loads that bring a lot of LE attention. Who knows?

Maybe I live too close to the border, but the Mexican's have a very long reach, especially if they feel crossed or someone was careless. I would not underestimate them.
Organizing a hit on man like Cali is , in just 4 days...not possible imo
glen40
Associate

Post by glen40 »

Agree, no way connected to the Newark seizure. Too close time wise
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

My two cents:

Sanctioned by Cefalu/Mannino.

No Gotti, no drugs.

Cali wasn’t at the wedding felice posted about which was a big tell tale sign there was an issue with him and the sigs. His Rabbi passes a year ago and the cogs are set in motion.

The only question for yours is whether this ‘issue/s’ involves the homeland (Inzerillo related), Gambino internal business or drug related. I’m skeptical if the latter as the feds would’ve turned over very blade of grass in the last decade trying to associate him with narcotics. Especially considering that case with the Ndrangheta in NYC dealing in guns and dope with that Gambino associate. If it had Cali’s fingerprints on it, you can be damn sure they would’ve found them.

So it’s a issue involving Cefalu, Mannino cleaning house for either an internal beef (his mistress, making a power play on cefalu etc etc) or it came from Sicily and possibly Inzerillo related and Cefalu had to make nice.

That’s my call.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Strax
Straightened out

Post by Strax »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:10 pm My two cents:

Santicioned by Cefalu/Mannino.
No Gotti, no drugs.

Cali wasn’t at the wedding felice posted about which was a big tell tale sign there was an issue with him and the sigs. His Rabbi passes a year ago and the cogs are set in motion.

The only question for yours is whether this ‘issue/s’ involves the homeland (Inzerillo related), Gambino internal business or drug related. I’m skeptical if the latter as the feds would’ve turned over very blade of grass in the last decade trying to associate him with narcotics. Especially considering that case with the Ndrangheta in NYC dealing in guns and dope with that Gambino associate. If it had Cali’s fingerprints on it, you can be damn sure they would’ve found them.

So it’s a issue involving Cefalu, Mannino cleaning house for either an internal beef (his mistress, making a power play on cefalu etc etc) or it came from Sicily and possibly Inzerillo related and Cefalu had to make nice.

That’s my call.
Well that is actually very good theory,i still believe Sicilians are involved in all this.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm Not sure if this article was posted here, but this is telling:

Hmmmm that was over 20 years ago though so he had a lot of time to change his mind while aging but interesting
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Strax wrote:

If he really is behind this,he must be extremely stupid, he is old and spent 30 years in prison. What is he going to get by taking Cali out? Its all Sicilians on top, you need to whack a whole bunch of them to retake control.
His brother only killed Paul (and Bilotti since he happened to be with him) and that was enough to take over.

But I also believe this time it won't be so easy. I don't think Gene is going to get away with this, if he was behind this anyway which we'll find out probably within a year if not much sooner. No way this guy is going to stay below the radar after this media circus.
Last edited by Lupara on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:32 pm His brother only killed Paul (and Bilotti since he happened to be with him) and that was enough to take over.
in canada they did the stupid thing to kill rizzuto and look what happened
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

TonyG wrote:Another consideration is the shooter was sent by the Mexican DTO that owned that load. They move that kind of weight. Perhaps Cali was to provide security to get the load in, and something fell apart, and the Mexican DTO decided he had to pay for it. The hit is consistent with the way they do their business. They will kill people in front of their family, at their home, etc. Hell, they usually kill the family too.

As has been said before, it's very unlikely that they could have planned this within just a few days. And normally when something like that goes wrong there will be talks to sort out the problem in a peaceful manner first before resorting to violence, let alone killing a boss of a major crime family and jeopardising a business relationship with all the families. Would that really be worth it? The cartels are used to losing shipments worth millions. For every shipment that is seized ten other shipments go through succesfully. Besides, I think the cartels have enough problems at home as it is than to go to war with the Mafia.

Last edited by Lupara on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:48 pm
TonyG wrote:Another consideration is the shooter was sent by the Mexican DTO that owned that load. They move that kind of weight. Perhaps Cali was to provide security to get the load in, and something fell apart, and the Mexican DTO decided he had to pay for it. The hit is consistent with the way they do their business. They will kill people in front of their family, at their home, etc. Hell, they usually kill the family too.

As has been said before, it's very unlikely that they could have planned this within just a few days. And normally when something like that goes wrong there will be talks to sort out the problem in a peaceful manner first before resorting to violence, let alone killing a boss of a major crime family and jeopardising a business relationship with all the families. Would that really be worth it? The cartels are used to losing shipments worth millions. For every shipment that is seized then other shipments go through succesfully. Besides, I think the cartels have enough problems at home as it is then to go to war with the Mafia.
Cartel theory is silly. This was not even a huge shipment...the inflated 77 million is 10 million wholesale value max...come on
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"