Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Camo
Straightened out

Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by Camo »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 amAlso, just look at history. Powerful guys, put thier guys from thier crews in powerful positions... ALL THE TIME...
And yeah this is largely where we differ because i'm not convinced Gambino was ever the #1 guy so this would apply more to someone in Cefalu's crew to me.
sharpieone
Straightened out

Post by sharpieone »

Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:55 pm
sharpieone wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 pm The fact there was a conversation makes me believe it was more likely an American than a zip who pulled the trigger. Also, the guys pribnts are either on the plate, or he was wearing gloves, which I would think would raise red flags to Cali, since it was a mild night in nY. The whole incident was probably confusing for him. But I guess if the guy doesn’t like texts or calls from even his capos, causing a crash to lure him makes sense. And although his neighborhood has a lot of cameras, it is still secluded. Trying to get him at one of his commercial holdings on busier roads in broad daylight would have carried its own risks. I don’t think it’s gene though. Either international or something to do with Staten Island power. Gene is probably free to earn however he wants on LI/queens. The fbi and nypd must be all over ever known club and cafe today. I’d imagine top guys involved in any of cali’s operations also have a little extra protection until they know what’s going on. Does anyone know if Barney even spends time in nY anymore or is he mostly Florida based?
Why would the guys prints be on Cali's plates? Cali went to put it in the trunk and that is when he was shot I thought?

I believe reports said the shooter bent down, picked up the plate, handed it to Cali. As a ruse to make him seem concerned about the accident/hope Cali was extra distracted.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

sharpieone wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:02 am
Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:55 pm
sharpieone wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 pm The fact there was a conversation makes me believe it was more likely an American than a zip who pulled the trigger. Also, the guys pribnts are either on the plate, or he was wearing gloves, which I would think would raise red flags to Cali, since it was a mild night in nY. The whole incident was probably confusing for him. But I guess if the guy doesn’t like texts or calls from even his capos, causing a crash to lure him makes sense. And although his neighborhood has a lot of cameras, it is still secluded. Trying to get him at one of his commercial holdings on busier roads in broad daylight would have carried its own risks. I don’t think it’s gene though. Either international or something to do with Staten Island power. Gene is probably free to earn however he wants on LI/queens. The fbi and nypd must be all over ever known club and cafe today. I’d imagine top guys involved in any of cali’s operations also have a little extra protection until they know what’s going on. Does anyone know if Barney even spends time in nY anymore or is he mostly Florida based?
Why would the guys prints be on Cali's plates? Cali went to put it in the trunk and that is when he was shot I thought?

I believe reports said the shooter bent down, picked up the plate, handed it to Cali. As a ruse to make him seem concerned about the accident/hope Cali was extra distracted.
Ahhh I missed that part when I first read it, would be crazy if they had his prints and he was so careless
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

I fail to see how Gene Gotti can amass the support needed to pull it off, even if he really wanted to. The guy has 4+ years of supervised release left too. Cali was on good terms with the Gottis, right? Maybe he wanted to include Gene in some capacity and got popped by his own guys for it?

I think the drug bust is too recent to be a retaliation for it, that is if Cali had something to do with it at all. Who burns a profitable working relationship that lasted over a decade because of one bust?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

The hit was very professional....hitting his truck just to get him out....handing him down the plate so he can turn his back...and bang

There was a similar hit in my country executed by the Albanian mob but in that case the hitman used a motorcycle bike and scratched the car of the target just to get him out of the house. Later the hitman together with his bike were welcomed by a unmarked white van or truck in which he got in and left the scene to unknown location, probably to the nearest airport....
Last edited by Villain on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

You are overthinking it a bit....

John was ALWAYS the point man for the American ops. Actually I think Francesco Gambino might have been higher at one point.....

You know how the sicilians described Cali, " Hes our friend and he is everything over there.." Well that was John at one point....Cali inherited this.....

All the guys from his crew took over top positions....

When Chin was boss, WHO close to him, WASNT powerful?

Gotti, his brother bacame boss, his son became boss, 2 brothers were capos, Damico was an acting boss, Squitieri was what, under and acting?

Scarfo made his best friend his under, nephew a capo, then under, Larry was a capo....

The Persicos.....

I'm sure there are tons of other examples but you get the general idea. Mannino was powerful bacause he was close to the powerful guys. To say otherwise, it's like arguing the Chins click wasnt really powerful while he was boss....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Now, understand, saying Mannino is powerful, doesnt by default mean the other guys are dogshit....
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

I'm not disputing he's powerful though, he's a Captain in the Gambino Family there's no question he's powerful. I'm saying i'm not convinced (although i'm open to the possibility) that he's one of the top guys running the family and making those types of decisions.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Fair enough, what we dont know is Calis status amongst the other guys... it could very well have been a Castellano-like situation.

Maybe his power and respect have been on a slow erosion. Maybe his ACTUAL rank was outdated relative to his REAL power in the family, just like Castellano...
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Sitting aloof, on Todt Hill, in a big comfortable house.....This shit is beyond bizzare....

In Canada you got the Godfather reality series playing out, and in NY we get the second act of th he Gottis killing the Staten Island dwelling boss....

NUUUTS!!!
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Actually, I think Cali came up under 18 ave, I think. it's just that a Gotti guy was capo, I think...

And Mannino got made under who, Pete, I guess?
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Yeah, honestly didn't think something like this would happen in New York again. Murders yes rarely, but a hit of a boss nah, seemed like those days were long gone with the attention it brings. Unbelievable. That thinking does bring me to it being Sicily/Canada because they have a different mentality from the current Americans having not had to deal with American LE, but who knows.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 am Actually, I think Cali came up under 18 ave, I think. it's just that a Gotti guy was capo, I think...

And Mannino got made under who, Pete, I guess?
Here's what Pogo has for the D'amico crew which Cali was in:

Garafalo-D'Amico Crew:
Vincenzo "Jimmy" DiLeonardo (1920s-19??)
Jerome “Jerry Mummy” D'Aquila (19??-19??) Demoted.
Olympio “Lilo” Garafalo (1960s-1986) Died.
Paul “Paulie Zac” Zaccaria (1986-1989) Stepped Down.
John "Jackie Nose" D'Amico (1989-Present?) Imprisoned.
-John Rizzo (1990s-Early 2000s) Demoted.
-Also oversaw the John Gambino Crew from 1993-2005.
-Frank “Frankie Boy” Cali (Early 2000s/2005-2008) Imprisoned.
-Ernest “Ernie Boy” Grillo (2008-?) Imprisoned.
John Rizzo (20??-Present)

Yeah, the also oversaw the John Gambino crew part suggests they were connected or that's how Cali came under him. Not sure about Maninno, he was 35 when he was jailed so it's likely he wasn't made until he was back out when Pete was boss.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

I found it hilarious, that the former wiseguys basically think the same way we do....lol