Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by Lupara »

Pete wrote:
Chaps wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm So, correct me if I'm wrong, but we've got these specific events to work with:

1. John Gambino's death (Gambino was reportedly Cali's mentor)
2. $77 million N.J. cocaine bust (Cali is reportedly involved in international drug trafficking)
2. Frank Cali's alleged shelving following an affair of his wife (Cali's wife is connected to Sicilian OC).
3. Gene Gotti's release (the Gottis and the Gambino Howard Beach crew still hold some sway in the family, and the Gottis have historically disliked the Zips).
4. Lucchese hierarchy bust, and recent release on bail (the Luccheses are an ultraviolent family, and the very recent release on bail of the acting boss, underboss, and capos is suspicious).
5. Michael Mancuso's release (Mancuso's previous leadership on the streets involved him ordering murders despite intense L.E. scrutiny, so we know this is right up his alley).
6. Bonanno hierarchy acquittal (with Cammarano and Zancocchio shocking everyone by walking out of court free, anything's possible).
7. Carmine Persico's death (Since the Colombos don't really have much interest in wide-scale drug trafficking, and since Persico probably didn't know Cali by the time he was in jail, this is unlikely to have anything to do with it in my POV).
OK, out of all of these (which is a great synopsis of what everyone has said) the only one I see as plausible, is Gene Gotti. Although, saying that, I have doubts. He just got released after having done a shit ton of years in the can. But, he is John's brother. And, by all accounts he is considered tougher.

As far as a connection between Carmine Persico's death and the Bonanno acquittal, none whatsoever. Pure coincidence.

Same with anything with Crea et. al. They're just tryinf to hold on. And, after the Bonanno acquittal, they have some hope...

Ditto Mancuso's release.

Drugs, maybe, but i doubt it.

If I'm proved wrong, or something entirely different comes out that we're not even looking at, I'll def shit my pants.

My guess is "nobody finds nuttin."
I agree with your last statement. If someone is not in custody within the next few days that means the truck was probably stolen and is a dead end. Without that we most likely don’t find out what happened until someone needs their get out of jail free card and flips which could be many years down the road
You can count on the truck being stolen and probably gone now. Otherwise this wouldn't have been a mob hit.
Frank
Full Patched

Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by Frank »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:16 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pmThis is the first article I've seen where he's described as the underboss, which may mean that Dom Cefalu is still boss. It also may confirm that, if even offered, he turned down the top spot in 2015, if I remember correctly.
That's what's been the understanding for a while now. Pete Gotti still nominally official boss. Dom Cefalu acting boss. Frank Cali was underboss. Not surprising that the media jumped on some reports labeling him boss. Makes it that much bigger.
For us maybe, but even before Cali was killed I was seeing that Cefalu had stepped down and Cali was in mainstream articles. I guess that now there's actual news to cover, they're actually digging and finding more reputable sources to cite. Of course most will still call him boss or acting boss, cause you're it right it makes it seem bigger, although an underboss getting killed is just as big as a boss, especially in this day in age.
Actually it was 2 times he was mentioned as replacing Cefalu, first in 2013. Then in 2015. But the Underboss position is in most cases the same job as street boss. It doesn't matter whether he was boss or underboss, it is still the biggest mafia news in years.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Sounds like it could've been a power sharing situation too since no one replaced Pete as the official boss if that's true.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Camo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:04 pm Sounds like it could've been a power sharing situation too since no one replaced Pete as the official boss if that's true.

What's this the fucking U.N. now?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Looks like Capeci had it correct Cefalu as acting boss and Cali as underboss. Cali wasn't replaced. Not consigliere or shelved. Mannino didn't replace him.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

Pete wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:47 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm So, correct me if I'm wrong, but we've got these specific events to work with:

2. $77 million N.J. cocaine bust (Cali is reportedly involved in international drug trafficking)
2. Frank Cali's alleged shelving following an affair of his wife (Cali's wife is connected to Sicilian OC).
3. Gene Gotti's release (the Gottis and the Gambino Howard Beach crew still hold some sway in the family, and the Gottis have historically disliked the Zips).
4. Lucchese hierarchy bust, and recent release on bail (the Luccheses are an ultraviolent family, and the very recent release on bail of the acting boss, underboss, and capos is suspicious).
5. Michael Mancuso's release (Mancuso's previous leadership on the streets involved him ordering murders despite intense L.E. scrutiny, so we know this is right up his alley).
6. Bonanno hierarchy acquittal (with Cammarano and Zancocchio shocking everyone by walking out of court free, anything's possible).
7. Carmine Persico's death (Since the Colombos don't really have much interest in wide-scale drug trafficking, and since Persico probably didn't know Cali by the time he was in jail, this is unlikely to have anything to do with it in my POV).
OK, out of all of these (which is a great synopsis of what everyone has said) the only one I see as plausible, is Gene Gotti. Although, saying that, I have doubts. He just got released after having done a shit ton of years in the can. But, he is John's brother. And, by all accounts he is considered tougher.

As far as a connection between Carmine Persico's death and the Bonanno acquittal, none whatsoever. Pure coincidence.

Same with anything with Crea et. al. They're just tryinf to hold on. And, after the Bonanno acquittal, they have some hope...

Ditto Mancuso's release.

If I'm proved wrong, or something entirely different comes out that we're not even looking at, I'll def shit my pants.

I agree with your last statement. If someone is not in custody within the next few days that means the truck was probably stolen and is a dead end. Without that we most likely don’t find out what happened until someone needs their get out of jail free card and flips which could be many years down the road
Remember how many years it took us to find out who killed Castellano? Our grandchildren may be able to file FOIA requests and then their grandchildren get an answer.
pharion
Straightened out

Post by pharion »

so i guess if you're a Gambino and want to be boss someday (and stay alive).. Avoid doing the following:
- stay "low key"
- keep close ties to zips
- move from Brooklyn a mansion on Staten Island
- undermine the Gotti family
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The NY Daily News cited unspecified "authorities" as saying Cali had been on a ruling panel "for several years" before becoming acting boss in 2015.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:08 pm
Camo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:04 pm Sounds like it could've been a power sharing situation too since no one replaced Pete as the official boss if that's true.

What's this the fucking U.N. now?

Pogo
lol.

My thinking was they could operate similar to a ruling panel with Cefalu if he is Acting Boss not having much more if any more power than Cali as Underboss and whoever is Consig if there is one. Maybe they just took the titles to legitimize themselves as if the reports that Pete doesn't have a say in anything are true he most likely didn't appoint them. Who knows though, i don't know if there's any precedent for something like that and i'm just blindly speculating. There's just been a lot of confusion over the years on who is who at the top in that family.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Chaps wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm
Remember how many years it took us to find out who killed Castellano? Our grandchildren may be able to file FOIA requests and then their grandchildren get an answer.
Did it really take a long time to find out Castellano was killed by Gotti? I get that Gravano's testimony put Gotti at the scene, but were people really unsure until then?
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Chaps wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm
Pete wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Ditto Mancuso's release.

It's a lot harder to get away with that sort of thing today though. I read an article a while back about the "death" of serial killers with them dramatically dropping in numbers in recent years because the authorities have got so good at catching them before they can rack up multiple murders. Different situation of course i'd just wait a few days before thinking this will take a long time.
Pete
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by Pete »

Lupara wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:02 pm
Pete wrote:

Ditto Mancuso's release.

You can count on the truck being stolen and probably gone now. Otherwise this wouldn't have been a mob hit.
Actually there have been people using their own cars on hits. Anthony nicodemo on the dipietro hit and colletti on the Mikey Chang hit
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:18 pm Did it really take a long time to find out Castellano was killed by Gotti? I get that Gravano's testimony put Gotti at the scene, but were people really unsure until then?

I believe the press fingered Gotti as being responsible for it within days/weeks of the hit. No doubt LE knew almost immediately. Of course it wasn't until Gravano flipped years later that all the details and the ID of the shooters were made public.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

B. wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:15 pm The NY Daily News cited unspecified "authorities" as saying Cali had been on a ruling panel "for several years" before becoming acting boss in 2015.
This is the first I've heard of a panel with Cali on it. Unless he replaced Marino or Vernace when they we're busted. But wasn't he in prison around then himself. They are starting to sound like the Genoveses lol.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

EDD41C02-0691-4D7F-AD4B-6427758A172E.jpeg
Gene.

Interesting quotes from NY Post latest:

“retired Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said at the scene Thursday.

Boyce said that he believed it was a hit within the Gambino family but that it was “early” to tie it to Gene, as he hasn’t been out of prison long.”

“With his murder, law enforcement is on the lookout to see “if another body drops,” a source said.

If somebody does get killed, it will almost certainly be from the side behind the hit, sources say.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.