Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

I think Capeci's words are important and his context misunderstood. He was not talking about how the specifics of the hit were un mob-like but rather that the hit itself, in that style, was un mob-like.
"Jerry Capeci, a mob expert who writes for the ganglandnews.com website, said Thursday that Cali is part of a Siclian faction now in control of the Gambino family. Capeci said the killing 'doesn't have the feel' of a Mafia-sanctioned hit.

'Frank Cali was a pretty likable guy, and also this is not a way the mob would kill one of their own,' he said. 'There are exceptions, but that's not the case with his guy.'"

Though I disagree with his conclusion his perspective should be stated clearly.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

Pete wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm
Camo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:15 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:12 pm
Camo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm
Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:52 pm
st2gats wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm Who usually does the work? Someone close to you that you know and feel comfortable with. Frank never would have turned his back on this guy unless it was someone he felt safe with or knew somehow. This was planned and has all the markings of a well executed hit. Young guy making his bones? Maybe. Someone gave the order. This was clearly sanctioned and if not the fallout will be known shortly.
Weird all these random accounts popping up with no posts but this thread but...

A guy he knew randomly backed into his Cadillac and they had a chat about it? lol
Yeah it doesn't sound like he knew him. Not sure why people think they know Cali or know how he'd react to this situation. Plenty of these guys are dumb and he doesn't even have to be dumb for this to have happened, could've just let his guard down because it was late at night and it looked like a genuine accident.
We need to know if the unconfirmed reports of Cali getting a phone call or text are true. It was suggested early on he was expecting somebody but why the guy would smash into his SUV I don't know.

He was a street guy all his life. To turn your back on a random guy wearing a hoodie and a baseball cap is real stupid of him if so.
The smashing into the SUV suggests to me that was either false or unrelated. We already know him being run over was misreported so that could've been too. Who knows though.
It’s not false that the truck crashed into calis escalade. The police have the footage and say specifically the truck backed into it with enough force to rock the vehicle. That’s straight from the press conference so that happened. Whether or not that was a planned ruse is another question

Using a fake car accident as a way to get someone to come outside is a pretty common tactic. I just read a book where a CIA operative in Europe did exactly that to get a guy to let him in his house to exchange info, and once inside told him he was CIA and started to cultivate him as an informant.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:47 pm I think Capeci's words are important and his context misunderstood. He was not talking about how the specifics of the hit were un mob-like but rather that the hit itself, in that style, was un mob-like.
"Jerry Capeci, a mob expert who writes for the ganglandnews.com website, said Thursday that Cali is part of a Siclian faction now in control of the Gambino family. Capeci said the killing 'doesn't have the feel' of a Mafia-sanctioned hit.

'Frank Cali was a pretty likable guy, and also this is not a way the mob would kill one of their own,' he said. 'There are exceptions, but that's not the case with his guy.'"

Though I disagree with his conclusion his perspective should be stated clearly.
Capeci, a supposed expert seriously comes off as less knowledgeable than a lot of us in here. Guy is washed up and out of touch honestly.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Snakes wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 pm I believe so. Didn't she say something about "Francesco" not being his real name or something? I may not be remembering that correctly.
On his BOP record he's listed as FRANK PAUL CALI so I'd assume that Frank was therefore his legal name
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pmThis is the first article I've seen where he's described as the underboss, which may mean that Dom Cefalu is still boss. It also may confirm that, if even offered, he turned down the top spot in 2015, if I remember correctly.
That's what's been the understanding for a while now. Pete Gotti still nominally official boss. Dom Cefalu acting boss. Frank Cali was underboss. Not surprising that the media jumped on some reports labeling him boss. Makes it that much bigger.
Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:57 pmCapeci, a supposed expert seriously comes off as less knowledgeable than a lot of us in here. Guy is washed up and out of touch honestly.
Are you referring to this one comment of his? Because wasn't it just the other day you were reminding someone else Capeci has fueled these forums for 20 years? He's still more informed, overall, than anyone on these forums. A lot of articles may leave something to be desired but he still gives us key info from time to time. We wouldn't know about Bellomo if it wasn't for him, for example.
All roads lead to New York.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:05 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pmThis is the first article I've seen where he's described as the underboss, which may mean that Dom Cefalu is still boss. It also may confirm that, if even offered, he turned down the top spot in 2015, if I remember correctly.
That's what's been the understanding for a while now. Pete Gotti still nominally official boss. Dom Cefalu acting boss. Frank Cali was underboss. Not surprising that the media jumped on some reports labeling him boss. Makes it that much bigger.
Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:57 pmCapeci, a supposed expert seriously comes off as less knowledgeable than a lot of us in here. Guy is washed up and out of touch honestly.
Are you referring to this one comment of his? Because wasn't it just the other day you were reminding someone else Capeci has fueled these forums for 20 years? He's still more informed, overall, than anyone on these forums. A lot of articles may leave something to be desired but he still gives us key info from time to time. We wouldn't know about Bellomo if it wasn't for him, for example.
He has flashes, but this just proved to me that he is completely out of touch. Sort of like you...you spend your days reminding people that there are "already threads for this" like some sort of failed police officer and wanna be moderator searching for a purpose. LMAO

Man, It must suck for you that people are living in your head, rent free. Get a grip.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 pm
Frank wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 pm Personally, I don't buy the major drug trafficking angle. I just find it hard to believe the lowkey Gambino admin would still be involved in that. They were known drug traffickers and LE were looking at Cali for it for years and nothing came of it. Makes sense that they stayed away from it. Of course just my opinion though.
Didn't Mannino's name come out in the Canadian drug indictment of Semplice. Mannino was identified as a capo. This wasn't that long ago. I'm sure Cali kept himself well insulated.
His name did come up but if I remember right it was a possible loansharking business that Semplice had with Mannino. Not sure he was brought up in relation to actual drug trafficking.
I would be inclined to agree, as long as the little detail of Semplice meeting a "Father and Son of an Italian crime family from Italy", is explained a little further...
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

For us maybe, but even before Cali was killed I was seeing that Cefalu had stepped down and Cali was in mainstream articles. I guess that now there's actual news to cover, they're actually digging and finding more reputable sources to cite. Of course most will still call him boss or acting boss, cause you're it right it makes it seem bigger, although an underboss getting killed is just as big as a boss, especially in this day in age.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

thekiduknow wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:16 pm
For us maybe, but even before Cali was killed I was seeing that Cefalu had stepped down and Cali was in mainstream articles. I guess that now there's actual news to cover, they're actually digging and finding more reputable sources to cite. Of course most will still call him boss or acting boss, cause you're it right it makes it seem bigger, although an underboss getting killed is just as big as a boss, especially in this day in age.
It is huge regardless of boss, street boss, or consig...WG is being his typical self. Sad.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

CabriniGreen wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 pm
Frank wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 pm Personally, I don't buy the major drug trafficking angle. I just find it hard to believe the lowkey Gambino admin would still be involved in that. They were known drug traffickers and LE were looking at Cali for it for years and nothing came of it. Makes sense that they stayed away from it. Of course just my opinion though.
Didn't Mannino's name come out in the Canadian drug indictment of Semplice. Mannino was identified as a capo. This wasn't that long ago. I'm sure Cali kept himself well insulated.
His name did come up but if I remember right it was a possible loansharking business that Semplice had with Mannino. Not sure he was brought up in relation to actual drug trafficking.
I would be inclined to agree, as long as the little detail of Semplice meeting a "Father and Son of an Italian crime family from Italy", is explained a little further...
I forgot to add, he met them in TORONTO??!!
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

gohnjotti wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm So, correct me if I'm wrong, but we've got these specific events to work with:

1. John Gambino's death (Gambino was reportedly Cali's mentor)
2. $77 million N.J. cocaine bust (Cali is reportedly involved in international drug trafficking)
2. Frank Cali's alleged shelving following an affair of his wife (Cali's wife is connected to Sicilian OC).
3. Gene Gotti's release (the Gottis and the Gambino Howard Beach crew still hold some sway in the family, and the Gottis have historically disliked the Zips).
4. Lucchese hierarchy bust, and recent release on bail (the Luccheses are an ultraviolent family, and the very recent release on bail of the acting boss, underboss, and capos is suspicious).
5. Michael Mancuso's release (Mancuso's previous leadership on the streets involved him ordering murders despite intense L.E. scrutiny, so we know this is right up his alley).
6. Bonanno hierarchy acquittal (with Cammarano and Zancocchio shocking everyone by walking out of court free, anything's possible).
7. Carmine Persico's death (Since the Colombos don't really have much interest in wide-scale drug trafficking, and since Persico probably didn't know Cali by the time he was in jail, this is unlikely to have anything to do with it in my POV).
OK, out of all of these (which is a great synopsis of what everyone has said) the only one I see as plausible, is Gene Gotti. Although, saying that, I have doubts. He just got released after having done a shit ton of years in the can. But, he is John's brother. And, by all accounts he is considered tougher.

As far as a connection between Carmine Persico's death and the Bonanno acquittal, none whatsoever. Pure coincidence.

Same with anything with Crea et. al. They're just tryinf to hold on. And, after the Bonanno acquittal, they have some hope...

Ditto Mancuso's release.

Drugs, maybe, but i doubt it.

If I'm proved wrong, or something entirely different comes out that we're not even looking at, I'll def shit my pants.

My guess is "nobody finds nuttin."
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Chaps wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:10 pm So, correct me if I'm wrong, but we've got these specific events to work with:

1. John Gambino's death (Gambino was reportedly Cali's mentor)
2. $77 million N.J. cocaine bust (Cali is reportedly involved in international drug trafficking)
2. Frank Cali's alleged shelving following an affair of his wife (Cali's wife is connected to Sicilian OC).
3. Gene Gotti's release (the Gottis and the Gambino Howard Beach crew still hold some sway in the family, and the Gottis have historically disliked the Zips).
4. Lucchese hierarchy bust, and recent release on bail (the Luccheses are an ultraviolent family, and the very recent release on bail of the acting boss, underboss, and capos is suspicious).
5. Michael Mancuso's release (Mancuso's previous leadership on the streets involved him ordering murders despite intense L.E. scrutiny, so we know this is right up his alley).
6. Bonanno hierarchy acquittal (with Cammarano and Zancocchio shocking everyone by walking out of court free, anything's possible).
7. Carmine Persico's death (Since the Colombos don't really have much interest in wide-scale drug trafficking, and since Persico probably didn't know Cali by the time he was in jail, this is unlikely to have anything to do with it in my POV).
OK, out of all of these (which is a great synopsis of what everyone has said) the only one I see as plausible, is Gene Gotti. Although, saying that, I have doubts. He just got released after having done a shit ton of years in the can. But, he is John's brother. And, by all accounts he is considered tougher.

As far as a connection between Carmine Persico's death and the Bonanno acquittal, none whatsoever. Pure coincidence.

Same with anything with Crea et. al. They're just tryinf to hold on. And, after the Bonanno acquittal, they have some hope...

Ditto Mancuso's release.

Drugs, maybe, but i doubt it.

If I'm proved wrong, or something entirely different comes out that we're not even looking at, I'll def shit my pants.

My guess is "nobody finds nuttin."
I agree with your last statement. If someone is not in custody within the next few days that means the truck was probably stolen and is a dead end. Without that we most likely don’t find out what happened until someone needs their get out of jail free card and flips which could be many years down the road
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

I should add though the feds will probably have a good idea very shortly based on what happens with the hierarchy and what informants tell them. The rest of us just won’t know for years
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 pmHe has flashes, but this just proved to me that he is completely out of touch. Sort of like you...you spend your days reminding people that there are "already threads for this" like some sort of failed police officer and wanna be moderator searching for a purpose. LMAO
It has nothing to do with wanting to be a moderator but it being annoying when discussion on the same topic is going on in two or three threads. And how often have I really done that?
Man, It must suck for you that people are living in your head, rent free. Get a grip.
Now you're using my description of you, Mr. Original?

Anyway, it was one comment by Capeci. Its like you expected him to come out and give us the name, address, and blood type of the shooter today.
All roads lead to New York.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Make no mistake, this was a clean hit....
We wont know shit.... they got the Luppino kids hitters face, and still nothing....