Castellano's election as boss late 1976

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Re: Castellano's election as boss late 1976

Post by CabriniGreen »

So who were the "Gallo" loyalist?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

It's interesting that bit on capos not happy with how Gallo ran the family.

It's a kinda goofy book, but in Boss of Bosses, there was a portion of the book where it stated Gallo kinda damaged Gambino interest in the Garment Center, just by his own neglect.... that he didnt build on it, increase the business, or maintain it very well.

The book said he just picked up his no show check, and that was it.....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Also, on the prostitution..... does the gay bar racket count? Cause both the Gambinos AND Genovese were into that heavy...
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Last one, after Gaggi, who do you guys think the redacted names could be?
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

don-shunter wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:06 am I wonder why Neil dellacroce never became boss if you go with what this informant claimed that Castellano and Gallo were prepared to let Neil become boss? Something must have happened between October 76 and November 76 to change castellanos mind and make him want the job and for Neil to let him take it unopposed.
They probably had some sort of idea of which way the voting was going to go. Each candidate knew who was definitely voting for them. With Dellacroce getting out soon it's definitely common sense to have the vote when he got out. Why do it while he is still locked up? That would maybe cause trouble. Believe it or not they probably had a clean election. Why do it behind his back? It could have been a close vote
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

don-shunter wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:06 am I wonder why Neil dellacroce never became boss if you go with what this informant claimed that Castellano and Gallo were prepared to let Neil become boss? Something must have happened between October 76 and November 76 to change castellanos mind and make him want the job and for Neil to let him take it unopposed.
That could be taken a few different ways. I don't believe it stated unopposed. I think it meant they were going to honor the election or made it seem like they were going to honor it. With guys maybe hiding with guns who really knows what would have happened if Dellacroce had won.
If all that is true
don-shunter
Straightened out

Post by don-shunter »

This also questions the long held belief that Carlo on his deathbed asked that Paul take over or be anointed as new official boss upon Carlos death. If Carlo did request that the captain's make Paul the new boss then surely no election needed to take place? I find the seventies an intriguing time for all the five families so much happened this decade that we still don't know about.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

As Frank said, the captains voted in favor of Castellano taking over as boss. There is nothing about Castellano changing his mind, only that he seems to have been willing to become boss just as he was willing to let Dellacroce become boss if the election went that way. No doubt there were politics behind the scenes.

Scarpa was told that there was a rule against a candidate "campaigning" for the position himself but we know from Joe Colombo, John Gotti, and Angelo Bruno's elections that high-ranking supporters of those men campaigned behind the scenes so that when the elections happened everyone would be in agreement. This is probably done as much to ensure peace as it is to "meddle in the election", with the Gotti situation being more underhanded for sure.

You can tell that the three leaders made it a point to show harmony in that Castellano, Dellacroce, and Gallo greeted each individual captain as they entered and later Castellano gave a speech that the family was "united" and would operate just as it had under Gambino. Gallo gave a very similar speech almost ten years later about the family being "united" after Castellano's death, so take that how you will.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I assume, if true, the men in the attic were Castellano men. Maybe he had them there for protection.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Frank wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 am
They probably had some sort of idea of which way the voting was going to go. Each candidate knew who was definitely voting for them. With Dellacroce getting out soon it's definitely common sense to have the vote when he got out. Why do it while he is still locked up? That would maybe cause trouble. Believe it or not they probably had a clean election. Why do it behind his back? It could have been a close vote
When did Neil learn he had cancer? Could have something to do with the change in attitude...
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

Paul was the right decision with out a doubt neil was a gangster paul could see the future neil was stuck in time i feel they had a good admin but not overly sure about gallo think there might have been better candidates
Costigan
Straightened out

Post by Costigan »

Super wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:50 pm Paul was the right decision with out a doubt neil was a gangster paul could see the future neil was stuck in time i feel they had a good admin but not overly sure about gallo think there might have been better candidates
I agree that Paul was a better gangster than some people give him credit for, I mean he gets type-cast as this old milk drinker, a white collar criminal afraid of violence, etc...but what about his decision to name Tommy Bilotti his new underboss? That was a bad move & must have really pissed off some people.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Castellano's election as boss late 1976

Post by phatmatress777 »

Costigan wrote:
Super wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:50 pm Paul was the right decision with out a doubt neil was a gangster paul could see the future neil was stuck in time i feel they had a good admin but not overly sure about gallo think there might have been better candidates
I agree that Paul was a better gangster than some people give him credit for, I mean he gets type-cast as this old milk drinker, a white collar criminal afraid of violence, etc...but what about his decision to name Tommy Bilotti his new underboss? That was a bad move & must have really pissed off some people.
There were more murders under Paul's reign than there were under gottis.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

Agree tommy was a terrible choice there was so many capable others tommy was loyal yes but i would of gone with jimmy brown joe butch and maybe conte there was a lot of other options
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: RE: Re: Castellano's election as boss late 1976

Post by Eline2015 »

phatmatress777 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 pm
Costigan wrote:
There were more murders under Paul's reign than there were under gottis.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Could you please provide more info about this