"Super Mafia" article

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

"Super Mafia" article

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone: Please forgive me, but I am bringing a subject from the "News in Italy" thread over to a dedicated thread, in the hopes of obtaining a wider audience.

A few days ago, Wiseguy posted an excellent article, which was published only a few days ago, regarding the fears Italian law enforcement may have regarding the creation/association of a "Super Mafia," as they put it, due to a number of dinners that occurred in 2021 with members of the Sicilian Cosa Nostra, the Calabrian Ndrangheta, and the Neapolitan Camorra in attendance (why it is being publicized now in 2023 is a question onto itself).
The article reminded me of another article I read many, many years ago.

Regarding the "Super Mafia" article; many years ago, in my area, for a short period of time, I was able to purchase a weekly newspaper called "The European", which was an English language weekly newspaper which reported news items, articles, and commentary on events occurring in Europe. Again, many years ago, and my memory on this is terrible, it could have been 15 to 20 years ago, I read an article in this newspaper reporting about some European law enforcement agency that reported on a grand meeting (my words) of representatives from the Sicilian Cosa Nostra, the American Cosa Nostra, the Neapolitan Camorra, the Russian Mafia, the Chinese Triads, and the Japanese Yakuza. IIRC, the purpose of the meeting was dividing up various rackets and territories throughout Europe. Also, I remember as I was reading that article, I made a mental note at the time that that was the 2nd time I remember reading an article about an overall Grand Commission (my words), where the major international criminal secret societies got together.

Does anyone on this Forum remember this, or any similar, article or articles on the subject of an international "Grand Commission" (my words)?

And, please, refrain from the John Wick "High Table" jokes.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: "Super Mafia" article

Post by B. »

I don't know about a high-level conspiracy between groups outside of Italy, but I was talking in another thread recently about Dr. Gioacchino Pennino who was an important Christian Democrat politician, surgeon, and member of the Brancaccio Family whose father and uncle were powerful bosses of Brancaccio and another uncle was boss of the Chicago Family. The Penninos were major "Alta" figures not only in Cosa Nostra but in Palermo politics as a whole spanning generations.

Pennino talked about his uncle staying with leaders of the Camorra, 'Ndrangheta, and Sacra Corona Unita, stating that they are all unified as a "single thing" at the highest levels and referred to a "supercupola". He talked about politicians, freemasons, and leaders of these organizations coming together as well. Pennino is a high-quality source, one of the greatest Sicilian pentiti in my opinion, and given who he was he was in a rare position to know things that were otherwise unavailable to more low-brow members.

We know members of Cosa Nostra, Camorra, and 'Ndrangheta became close in the 1970s/80s and made the top leaders into each others' organizations to strengthen trust and the Camorra for example was even given their own Neapolitan mandamento in the Sicilian mafia's representational structure. Now, was the "supercupola" a generalization based on these figures working together or was there actually a formal alignment designed to govern the bigger picture of the core Italian organizations?

I'd like to see more discussion of Sicilian and Italian activity on here outside the ghetto that is the "News from Italy" thread, so thank you for starting this.
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

Dear B. Thank you for your most interesting reply!!! Could you please provide a link to the thread regarding your discussion on Dr. Giaocchino Pennino? And, on what years did he report?

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The recent Pennino stuff was mainly about his Chicago connections: viewtopic.php?t=9502&start=45

He began cooperating in the mid-1990s but his knowledge spanned decades and went back before his time given his grandfather and uncle had been Brancaccio bosses and he knew countless other powerful people as a "uomo d'onore riservato".

If you haven't seen it, our member MotorFab wrote a great article on the connections between Cosa Nostra and the Camorra in Naples:
https://unehistoiredecrimeorganise.blog ... aples.html

I recommend talking with Fab as well if you're interested in the Italian side of things, he has a great range of knowledge on Sicilian Cosa Nostra, the Camorra, and the 'ndrangheta.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Thank you for the kind words B :)

BeatiPoli, I don't know if that's precisely what you're thinking of because the Yakuzas and Triads are excluded, but several informants including Gaetano Costa and Leonardo Messina, refer to a super structure called Cosa Nuova saying that in fact everyone is part of Cosa Nostra but not everyone knows it (I'm simplifying as much as possible here)

Personally I have a lot of trouble with this theory, but several articles on the internet talk about it, including this one

https://www.penitenziaria.it/carceri/co ... o-2442.asp
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:58 am
Wiseguy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:44 am 'Super mafia' fears as leading figures from Italy's three most powerful mobs - 'Ndrangheta, Camorra and Cosa Nostra - are seen sharing a meal of wine and pasta together

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ostra.html
https://youtu.be/EmB5jVPS0f8

A Pennisi video on the meeting, he names Paolo Perrino cousin of Matteo Messina Denaro and high ranking member of Cosa Nostra as the organizer of the meeting. Apparently the authorizes not only set up surveillance of the meeting but they were also able to plant bugs and listen in on the entire meeting.
Cross post from the News from Italy thread.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:01 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:58 am
Wiseguy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:44 am 'Super mafia' fears as leading figures from Italy's three most powerful mobs - 'Ndrangheta, Camorra and Cosa Nostra - are seen sharing a meal of wine and pasta together

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ostra.html
https://youtu.be/EmB5jVPS0f8

A Pennisi video on the meeting, he names Paolo Perrino cousin of Matteo Messina Denaro and high ranking member of Cosa Nostra as the organizer of the meeting. Apparently the authorizes not only set up surveillance of the meeting but they were also able to plant bugs and listen in on the entire meeting.
Cross post from the News from Italy thread.
Pennisi did a previous video saying Bontade created a covered lodge in the 70s that united bosses of Sicily and Calabria.... I'll link it.....

When I 1st saw this, i thought from Sicily, the Fidanzati- Guttadauro, and from Calabria, the Castanu branch of the Barbaros.

To me, a couple highly interesting questions were.....

Would this mafia " Consortium" be of higher authority than the Ndrangheta "Lombardia" structure?

Obviously, Who from Naples was there?

Here's a much better article.....

https://www.lindipendente.online/2023/1 ... e-camorra/

In Lombardy a great alliance is said to be underway between Cosa Nostra, 'Ndrangheta and Camorra
OCTOBER 26, 2023 - 11:31
AM

According to the magistrates of Milan, the main mafia associations of the country would have found in Lombardy the theater for a great alliance.

The DDA of the capital, assisted by the investigations of the Carabinieri investigative unit, says it is certain of the fact that important clans of Cosa Nostra, the 'Ndrangheta and the Camorra have come together in a real confederation, called "Consortium", to manage business and society in an organic way, handling millions of euros.

At the center of everything, the management of drug trafficking - an incredibly profitable business -, the infiltration of the Lombard economic and entrepreneurial fabric, money laundering, extortion.

The prosecutors' meticulous investigations led to 153 arrest requests, included in a 5,000-page document. The investigating judge, who ordered hundreds of searches and the seizure of over 200 million euros, however rejected most of the accusations, giving the OK to the arrest of only 11 people (8 with mafia aggravating circumstances). Since one person has died in the meantime, there are therefore 142 suspects at large, but the prosecutor has already appealed to the Court of Review against the judge's decision.

The investigation includes characters and gangs of great criminal importance. As regards the 'Ndrangheta, those affected by the investigation are, in particular, the Legnano - Lonate Pozzolo premises and the Iamonte and Romeo families .

For the Camorra, the Neapolitan Senese clan, already deeply rooted in Rome, would be operating in Lombardy .

Cosa Nostra is instead represented by the Fidanzati clan - in which the names of Giuseppe and Stefano stand out, respectively son and brother of the mafia boss Gaetano Fidanzati (who was sentenced to the Maxitrial of Palermo after being accused by the repentant Buscetta and Contorno) -, the families gelesi Nicastro and Rinzivillo, the Mazzei gang from Catania.

But a criminal group can be traced back to elements directly linked to the Castelvetrano clan , which was the fiefdom of the superboss Matteo Messina Denaro : his relative Errante Parrino; the Pace, organic to the Trapani people; Gioacchino Amico from Canicatte, linked to the Sienese; the entrepreneurs Rosario and Giovanni Abilone, who made around 200 companies available to the criminal network for money laundering; Antonio Messina , known as "the lawyer".

The latter participated in several meetings with the members of the "Consortium" at the San Vito bar in Campobello di Mazara , about a hundred meters from the hideout where Messina Denaro conducted his fugitive.

These meetings , according to the Prosecutor's Office (but not according to the investigating judge) "document the connections, as well as the joint interest in huge economic deals, between the Lombardy mafia system and the former fugitive Matteo Messina Denaro".

Bernardo Pace , intercepted while speaking in a low voice with another suspect, Domenico Tripodi, believed to be close to the 'Ndrangheta club in Desio, referring to Milanese affairs, says: "And not only that... he also knew", alluding to a character whose name he then expressly mentions in a whisper: «Matteo Messina Denaro». In another wiretap, Massimo Rosi , symbol of the 'Ndrangheta club in Lonate Pozzolo, is heard saying : «I come to discover that he (Friend, ed.) is well supported. There's Gambino, Messina Dera... Matteo Messina Denaro. What the fuck do you want better than iddi."

The "Lombardy mafia system", according to the hypotheses put forward by the Prosecutor's Office, would have brought together Cosa Nostra, 'Ndrangheta and Camorra with the aim of managing "financial, relational and operational resources, through a stable bond between them characterized by the management and optimization of the relevant profits deriving from sophisticated financial operations carried out by pooling companies, capital and liquidity".

The "Consortium" - active in particular in Milan, Varese and in their respective provinces - would have operated on many fronts , including drug trafficking and sale, the creation of companies to profit from the Ecobonus and Covid, the management of with mayors, representatives of regional politics and parliamentarians, the extortion and takeover of companies in crisis, the control of procurement (even in prisons), investments in the oil sector.

Yet, according to the investigating judge, the intimidating force typical of the mafia association is missing, which would cause many charges to be dropped. According to the prosecutors, however, one of the elements that represents the factual symbol of the "great alliance" between the mafia groups is the presence of the "basin", that is, a common fund for all the organizations, into which the money was paid, the result of the recycling, which had to be used to support members who ended up in prison.

The unity of the structure would have been functional to maximizing profits and resolving internal disputes more quickly and effectively. Possibly in a "submersion" logic, without making any noise. «Axis not axis... we will build everything... always where with the proceeds of Milan, Milan... with the proceeds of Rome, Rome... with the proceeds of Calabria, Calabria... with the proceeds of Sicily, Sicily... we have built an empire and we have made ourselves authorized everything from Milan... passing through Calabria, Naples, everywhere...", says Amico in an interception. Words that seem to outline a real manifesto.

[by Stefano Baudino]
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:30 pm I'd like to see more discussion of Sicilian and Italian activity on here outside the ghetto that is the "News from Italy" thread, so thank you for starting this.
And on another note, I completely agree. I would love to see a Canada, Europe and Australia section on the forum. Some excellent threads are lost in the General Forum with not much visibility
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

motorfab wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:16 am
B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:30 pm I'd like to see more discussion of Sicilian and Italian activity on here outside the ghetto that is the "News from Italy" thread, so thank you for starting this.
And on another note, I completely agree. I would love to see a Canada, Europe and Australia section on the forum. Some excellent threads are lost in the General Forum with not much visibility
There's is actually a tremendous amount to unpack with this development.... but I wanna see the level of interest 1st....

I remember making a thread trying to discuss Messina and the Cosa Nostra- Ndrangheta interactions, the connections between the Plati- Barbaros and the Messina gangs and Corso Di Mille families. Just trying to explore the connections. It went nowhere immediately.....lol
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

And PSA....David Critchley is on the board, in the Sergi thread.... Jesus Christ..

All you researchers really need to do a Podcast... I swear..

THATS THE FUCKIN MAFIA POD WE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

GET IT DONE!!! LOL
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

BeatiPaoli wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:43 pm To Everyone: Please forgive me, but I am bringing a subject from the "News in Italy" thread over to a dedicated thread, in the hopes of obtaining a wider audience.

A few days ago, Wiseguy posted an excellent article, which was published only a few days ago, regarding the fears Italian law enforcement may have regarding the creation/association of a "Super Mafia," as they put it, due to a number of dinners that occurred in 2021 with members of the Sicilian Cosa Nostra, the Calabrian Ndrangheta, and the Neapolitan Camorra in attendance (why it is being publicized now in 2023 is a question onto itself).
The article reminded me of another article I read many, many years ago.

Regarding the "Super Mafia" article; many years ago, in my area, for a short period of time, I was able to purchase a weekly newspaper called "The European", which was an English language weekly newspaper which reported news items, articles, and commentary on events occurring in Europe. Again, many years ago, and my memory on this is terrible, it could have been 15 to 20 years ago, I read an article in this newspaper reporting about some European law enforcement agency that reported on a grand meeting (my words) of representatives from the Sicilian Cosa Nostra, the American Cosa Nostra, the Neapolitan Camorra, the Russian Mafia, the Chinese Triads, and the Japanese Yakuza. IIRC, the purpose of the meeting was dividing up various rackets and territories throughout Europe. Also, I remember as I was reading that article, I made a mental note at the time that that was the 2nd time I remember reading an article about an overall Grand Commission (my words), where the major international criminal secret societies got together.

Does anyone on this Forum remember this, or any similar, article or articles on the subject of an international "Grand Commission" (my words)?

And, please, refrain from the John Wick "High Table" jokes.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
There was recently several articles about the Mafias washing money with Chinese using highly sophisticated methods. Wiseguy posted one of those as well. I'm not sure of any Triad links, or if they would have been invited to a " seat at the table" in Milan......so to speak.

If any foreign group would be allowed in, in my opinion it would be Albanians today...
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

This stuff is a good example of the organizational and operational topic.

Organizational - Leaders of Cosa Nostra, the Camorra, and 'Ndrangheta inducting each other into their groups as honorary members to allow mutual recognition and strengthen operational relationships.

Operational - The financial, criminal, and social relationships and activities between members of these different groups.

The Italian groups have obviously tried to synthesize the two while their interactions with non-Italian groups would be purely operational.
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone: Gentlemen, thank you all very much for your responses, and all the information you provided, including the links and references! As I get more time in my personal schedule, I will continue my personal dive into this subject matter, and all the links and references you all provided.

However, and respectfully, no one directly answered whether they had read, or heard of, the article in "The European" weekly newspaper I referenced in my original post, or referenced any other articles, etc., that dealt with high level meetings of the Italian criminal secret societies and the Russian Mafia, the Chinese Triads, the Japanese Yakuza, or the Columbian cartels all sitting at the same table (not individual meetings for particular ventures, which I am sure has been documented many times).

Once again, thank you all for your informative responses.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

CabriniGreen wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:16 am And PSA....David Critchley is on the board, in the Sergi thread.... Jesus Christ..

All you researchers really need to do a Podcast... I swear..

THATS THE FUCKIN MAFIA POD WE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

GET IT DONE!!! LOL
I think Dave's been a member here since 2014.