The lukes strongest period

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

The lukes strongest period

Post by JeremyTheJew »

I started looking back at some charts and listening to podcasts.....

All this talk about amuso possibly getting out is funny.... No way would a ACTIVE boss be let out...

Then i started thinking about it - PRE amuso/casso - the lukea have basically been the "3rd most powerful family" from almost the whole time till exactly when casso and amuso came in and destroyed it...

Then bonannos knocked em out the spot (some can argue that theres a time period when massino brought them up to a top tier family)

Anyways.... Comparing ducks corrallo and Tommy luke.... What period was "more powerfull" ???
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Re: The lukes strongest period

Post by Pmac2 »

Tommy luchese was carlos Gambino protection when he killed Albert. Then there kids married. I think he was more powerful then Carlo till he died
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Pmac2 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:04 am Tommy luchese was carlos Gambino protection when he killed Albert. Then there kids married. I think he was more powerful then Carlo till he died
Gambino didn’t kill Anastasia, it was Biondo & Riccobono who made it happen. Possible that Gambino knew it was going to happen but he wasn’t the driving force behind it.

I do agree that Lucchese was stronger than Gambino as Tommy’s career was winding down and Carlo’s tenure as boss just beginning. Lucchese was extremely well connected politically, I don’t think even at his height Gambino had the kind of political connections that Lucchese had.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pmac2 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:04 am Tommy luchese was carlos Gambino protection when he killed Albert. Then there kids married. I think he was more powerful then Carlo till he died
The relative power between the organizations they led is another matter. Massino was seen as the top boss on the street at one point. But besides being due to the fact the other bosses were in prison, that didn't mean the Bonannos were the strongest family.
All roads lead to New York.
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:01 am
The relative power between the organizations they led is another matter. Massino was seen as the top boss on the street at one point. But besides being due to the fact the other bosses were in prison, that didn't mean the Bonannos were the strongest family.
If I recall correctly, the Luccheses and Colombos were getting picked apart by the FBI back then. The Gambinos were in terrible shape from a number of government witnesses - specifically Gravano and DiLeonardo. Plus, Pete Gotti was not a great acting boss. So the sheer stability of the Bonannos at that point is what I recall made them more powerful than the others at least appear that way.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:01 am
In 1991 the Bonanno was the only family that doesnt had rats in the ranks with a boss on the streets,that because was it strong.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

1931-1986 :D
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Every thread about most 'powerful', 'strongest', 'influential', 'impressive' etc etc are all pointless adjectives which are so nuanced as to render the question fucking pointless.

EG Which family was most powerful in 1965? Genovese had more members but imprisoned boss vs Gambino less members but had a free Carlo. Or Lucchese or Bonanno had a small family but powerful influence on the commission. ETC, etc etc.

Theyre stupid questions.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

There strongest periods were definitely under Tom Gagliano and Tommy Lucchese. I find it very interesting that the Lukes were the forerunners in the construction business going back to the late 20's and it kinda gets brushed over in the historical narrative.
"I was a venture capitalist"
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Don_Peppino wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:21 am There strongest periods were definitely under Tom Gagliano and Tommy Lucchese. I find it very interesting that the Lukes were the forerunners in the construction business going back to the late 20's and it kinda gets brushed over in the historical narrative.
Because I think they have been a relatively quiet and stable family and were not among the largest, so as a result were over looked.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

The Lucchese Crime Family was much more powerful before people on the internet started calling them "the Lukes".

After that incredibly gay nickname got going, no one was ever able to take the family seriously again.

In related news, Domenico Cefalu is aware that there some people who call his family "the Binos." Mr. Cefalu is monitoring the situation.
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Ivan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:43 pm The Lucchese Crime Family was much more powerful before people on the internet started calling them "the Lukes".

After that incredibly gay nickname got going, no one was ever able to take the family seriously again.

In related news, Domenico Cefalu is aware that there some people who call his family "the Binos." Mr. Cefalu is monitoring the situation.
Was going to come in here and say anyone referring them to them as the "Lukes" needs to be considered for automatic banning
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Better than the 'esse's'

Know what I'm saying, ese.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:48 pm
Ivan wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:43 pm The Lucchese Crime Family was much more powerful before people on the internet started calling them "the Lukes".

Was going to come in here and say anyone referring them to them as the "Lukes" needs to be considered for automatic banning
Fully agree, the use of Gams and Gens should also cause an automatic suspension if not outright banning.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:02 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:48 pm

Fully agree, the use of Gams and Gens should also cause an automatic suspension if not outright banning.
I've never seen those, but I have also seen "'Binos"