Montreal FBI report December 1984

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Montreal FBI report December 1984

Post by B. »

A Gambino member with ties to Montreal was Sebastiano Bellanca whose family was from Cattolica Eraclea. His mother was a Renda and the FBN reported he made trips to Montreal. He was dead by this time, but he had brothers involved with crime and at least one of them was still alive.

Curious if Auburn-based Buffalo member Pasquale Sciortino had ties to his compaesani in Montreal. He was from Cattolica Eraclea and his brother is listed in Nick Gentile's address book, so they appear to be tapped into the coastal Agrigento network and Gentile of course had ties to Quebec. Pasquale was still alive at this time. We know the Rizzutos are related to Sciortinos from Cattolica, too.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Adam wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:12 pm Yeah B., it probably was Anthony Randazzo, but I was always wary of that. But that makes the most sense.

And yeah, could easily be a Badalamenti. Or Salvatore Evola who lived in south east Michigan(close to the Ohio border and the Detroit Metro Airport) who got busted in 1984 in Pizza Connection. Evola was married to Gaetano Badalamenti's niece unless I've messed up the familial relationships again.
I think you're right about Evola having married Badalamenti's niece Cristina.

Aren't there Randazzos in the Badalamenti family tree? Could Anthony Randazzo and Cesare Badalamenti be related?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Tano Badalamenti's nephew was a Vincenzo Randazzo involved in the Pizza Connection.

While the Badalamentis had strong ties to Detroit, I don't know where the Detroit Randazzos are from. Bill Feather's site says older Randazzos in Detroit were from Campofranco in Caltanissetta but no idea if that's accurate for Anthony Randazzo. Obviously a lot of Cinisi connections in the Detroit family.
cobra
Straightened out

Post by cobra »

-detroit unknown should be a jimmy quasarano's man
-he should be highly connected to pippo bono as well
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

By googling yesterday, I came across an online obituary in the Detroit News for a Vita Randazzo that lists her relationships with some Badalamentis -- link to obituary is below. Could she be Tony Randazzo's mother?

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/detro ... &fhid=2619

Does anyone know whether the following details I have for Cesare Badalamenti are correct?

Birthplace: Cinisi, Palermo
DOB: February 14, 1925
Place of death: Wayne County, MI
DOD: October 7, 1998
Spouse: Petrina E. (first name and middle initial) (DOB: March 8, 1932)

If the above details are correct, then I want to point out that Cesare's first name somehow got changed to Ceasar at some point.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

This 1960s report has come up before, but I believe other info sheds some light on the bottom reference to Montreal having approximately twenty members (a number consistent with the crew at the time of Sciascia's 1999 murder).

- The FBI states they received this info about the Montreal membership size in December 1964.
- In Ed Valin's Rat Trap, he pinpointed December 1964 as the first known time that Bill Bonanno is believed to have cooperated with the FBI.
- In the December 1964 report, the informant (likely Bonanno) had recently returned from a trip to Montreal and provided the FBI with info on the Bonanno Montreal group.

It appears that it was Bill Bonanno who told the FBI there were around 20 Bonanno members in Montreal in December 1964.

Bonanno's visit to Montreal appears to have happened within two months of his father's alleged "kidnapping". The Montreal crew were Bonanno loyalists, so these events may have been related in some way.

According to the Magaddino tapes, the Bonanno faction expanded the Montreal crew from ten to close to twenty members without Commission approval. It makes sense that Bill Bonanno would have told the FBI there were around twenty members, as the crew was expanded to that size under the direction of his faction.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

According to Violi's tapes at the Reggio Bar in the early 1970s it was still a decina of 20 members.

Violi said he was looking to induct new Pisciotti because half of the members were aging or inactive. A certain number of members or associates were also imprisoned.

He also says that in addition to the 20 members of the decina, the Montreal mafia also has 20 members of the Sicilian mafia. He does not specify but he undoubtedly refers to the guys from Siculiana (the Cuntrera brothers, some Caruana brothers and their nephews, Pietro Sciara, Cuffaro) plus some others not necessarily known
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

motorfab wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:48 am According to Violi's tapes at the Reggio Bar in the early 1970s it was still a decina of 20 members.

Violi said he was looking to induct new Pisciotti because half of the members were aging or inactive. A certain number of members or associates were also imprisoned.

He also says that in addition to the 20 members of the decina, the Montreal mafia also has 20 members of the Sicilian mafia. He does not specify but he undoubtedly refers to the guys from Siculiana (the Cuntrera brothers, some Caruana brothers and their nephews, Pietro Sciara, Cuffaro) plus some others not necessarily known
Nick Rizzutos's imports?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Am I reading that correct? They make a distinction between Sciascias crew and the Cotroni crew? As well as the Sicilian crew? What about, what's his name, DiIorio? I butchered it I'm sure....

How did it go from Cotroni to Sciascia exactly? Violi would have been next in line if not killed. How does it go to Sciascia? Unless Sciascias crew is different from Cotronis crew? What was the traditional Bonnano crew in that case? Cotronis or Sciascias?

Then you say they have Nick as a liaison, precisely between the American and Sicilian mafia. But he answers to Sciascia? Not the Caruana- Cuntreras? I just cant buy it.....

I cant help but wonder why Sciascia isnt on the partners list with John Gambino, Greco, the Napolis, all those South American interest these 2 clans, ( Inzerillo and Caruana- Cuntreras) were involved in.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:19 am Nick Rizzutos's imports?
Siculiana mafiosi who emigrated to Canada came because of the wave of anti-mafia repression after the Ciaculli massacre in 1963. This is the case of Pietro Sciara, Pasquale, Liborio, Paolo & Gaspare Cuntrera and Giovanni & Leonardo Caruana. Their nephews Alfonso, Gerlando & Pasquale Caruana arrived a little later it seems to me, as did Giuseppe Cuffaro.

The main imports of Cattolica Eraclea are Domenico Manno & Gerlando Sciascia which arrived it seems to me in the 70's.
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:27 am Am I reading that correct? They make a distinction between Sciascias crew and the Cotroni crew? As well as the Sicilian crew? What about, what's his name, DiIorio? I butchered it I'm sure....

How did it go from Cotroni to Sciascia exactly? Violi would have been next in line if not killed. How does it go to Sciascia? Unless Sciascias crew is different from Cotronis crew? What was the traditional Bonnano crew in that case? Cotronis or Sciascias?

Then you say they have Nick as a liaison, precisely between the American and Sicilian mafia. But he answers to Sciascia? Not the Caruana- Cuntreras? I just cant buy it.....

I cant help but wonder why Sciascia isnt on the partners list with John Gambino, Greco, the Napolis, all those South American interest these 2 clans, ( Inzerillo and Caruana- Cuntreras) were involved in.
If I'm wrong about this, comrades Laurentian & antimafia will correct me:

-At the time the American and especially Canadian authorities considered the Sicilian & Calabrian faction to be two different entities. Also at this time in the early 80's Frank & Vic Cotroni had eliminated a few individuals that had lined up a little too easily behind the Sicilians. The most important being Michel Pozza eliminated by Real Simard in 1982. Despite this, no retaliation was carried out against the Cotroni because the Montreal mafiaa was in the midst of restructuring, he would have been very ill-advised for the Rizzutos & Gerlando Sciascia who was acting capo to make a move against Frank & Vic who enjoyed huge relationships.

-Nicola Di Iorio was an alumnus of the Montreal Decina. He was a protégé of Vincenzo Soccio, Diodato Mastraccio & Giuseppe Cocolicchio. I think he was inducted in the late 50s or early 60s and was involved in nightclubs, prostitution and political ties. His right arm man was Angelo Lanzo.

-Nick Rizzuto was only really answering to himself (or the Bonannos) but certainly not the Cuntrera-Caruana clan, it's not the same organization, even though they are very close.

-For your last point, I don't know about Sciascia, but Nick Rizzuto had shares in a ranch in Venezuela whose owners were Pasquale Cuntrera, Antonino Napoli (Villabate), John Gambino & Salvatore "Ciaschiteddu" Greco (former boss of Ciaculli, relocated to Venezuela precisely because of what I was saying about the Ciaculli massacre ;) )
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

btw antimafia & B., I came across this Badalamenti family tree some time ago, if that can help you with Tano's nephews
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

motorfab wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:30 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:19 am Nick Rizzutos's imports?
Siculiana mafiosi who emigrated to Canada came because of the wave of anti-mafia repression after the Ciaculli massacre in 1963. This is the case of Pietro Sciara, Pasquale, Liborio, Paolo & Gaspare Cuntrera and Giovanni & Leonardo Caruana. Their nephews Alfonso, Gerlando & Pasquale Caruana arrived a little later it seems to me, as did Giuseppe Cuffaro.

The main imports of Cattolica Eraclea are Domenico Manno & Gerlando Sciascia which arrived it seems to me in the 70's.
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:27 am Am I reading that correct? They make a distinction between Sciascias crew and the Cotroni crew? As well as the Sicilian crew? What about, what's his name, DiIorio? I butchered it I'm sure....

If I'm wrong about this, comrades Laurentian & antimafia will correct me:

-At the time the American and especially Canadian authorities considered the Sicilian & Calabrian faction to be two different entities. Also at this time in the early 80's Frank & Vic Cotroni had eliminated a few individuals that had lined up a little too easily behind the Sicilians. The most important being Michel Pozza eliminated by Real Simard in 1982. Despite this, no retaliation was carried out against the Cotroni because the Montreal mafiaa was in the midst of restructuring, he would have been very ill-advised for the Rizzutos & Gerlando Sciascia who was acting capo to make a move against Frank & Vic who enjoyed huge relationships.

-Nicola Di Iorio was an alumnus of the Montreal Decina. He was a protégé of Vincenzo Soccio, Diodato Mastraccio & Giuseppe Cocolicchio. I think he was inducted in the late 50s or early 60s and was involved in nightclubs, prostitution and political ties. His right arm man was Angelo Lanzo.

-Nick Rizzuto was only really answering to himself (or the Bonannos) but certainly not the Cuntrera-Caruana clan, it's not the same organization, even though they are very close.

-For your last point, I don't know about Sciascia, but Nick Rizzuto had shares in a ranch in Venezuela whose owners were Pasquale Cuntrera, Antonino Napoli (Villabate), John Gambino & Salvatore "Ciaschiteddu" Greco (former boss of Ciaculli, relocated to Venezuela precisely because of what I was saying about the Ciaculli massacre ;) )
I concur!
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Pozza was killed because of his failed loyalty to the Cotronis by switching to the Rizzutos. The murder was executed by Réal Simard, an hired-killer for the Cotroni group, on orders of Frank Cotroni.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

So Manno, came from Cattolica and answered to Nick, but Sciascia didnt? Why would this be exactly?

The Siculiana men, the ones who left to escape the heat from the Alfa Romero, answered to.... the Cuntreras- Caruanas then?

Nick answered to Sciascia then? Really? I remember, one of the books, I forget. Nick had a convo with Buscetta about his affiliation. Buscetta said he thought Nick a Bonnano, but turns right around and said that he should assert himself. Almost encouraging his insubordination. I thought it weird they had to have a discussion for clarification.

So why Sciascia over the Rizzutos? In fact, why someone in NY as opposed to another Canadian as capo? Sciascia grew up in Sicily or NY? Not Canada, right? Sorry, a thousand and 1 questions, lol...
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

To make short and simple, Sciascia was the official capo of the Bonanno family in Montreal, at least until he got deported, but it was the Rizzutos really in charge.

For your question about the men of Siculiana, I don't see what event you are talking about, do you have more details?