How did Bulger factor into LCN?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lefty Ruggiero
Associate

How did Bulger factor into LCN?

Post by Lefty Ruggiero »

Obviously calling it a "complicated" relationship is probably the best summary but was he subservient to them or did he run his own race and only work with them when it was called for? Boston and NE is such a weird place in general within the scope of OC. Just seems like a giant mish-mosh of half-assed crews with LCN doing their own thing.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Re: How did Bulger factor into LCN?

Post by furiofromnaples »

The small families had to come to terms with the Irish Mob. Bulger was shrewd and opportunist, and took advantage of the FBI obsession (after Hoover's death in 1972) to destroy the mafia.
He used his rogue agent Connolly for take control of the Winter Hill gang after horse race fixing arrest of howie winter and the gang thanks to connolly take advange of the fbi hits on the mob.
Bulger helped to install a wire for arrest Jerry Angiulo in 1983.
The Winter Hill gang was under Bulger the most powerful irish gang even Zannino said that have fear to go against the Irishmen because was animals.
But only because the Patriarcas was crippled by FBI and in fact after Bulger,the gang lost almost all it power.
Waingro
Straightened out

Post by Waingro »

IIRC, the main reason Bulger was never killed by the Patriarcas was because he owed someone a very large amount of money.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Didn't Flemmi recruit Bulger as an informant because Stevie Flemmi had been an informant for longer and his brother Jimmy had been an informant? Also sonny mercurio was a LCN member providing information that was just as good as Bulger or Flemmi.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Bulger was part of the winter hill gang. The winter hill gang owed the underboss Jerry Anguillo a 250k loan they used to run there bookie business. Jerry lent the guys in the winter hill gang the loan of 250k in the early 70tys maybe 72. They made weekly vig on it forever or atheist till it was paid off or Jerry went to jail in 83. Think about how much 250k was in 1972 and the vig over 10yrs
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Along the way they basically did whatever Jerry asked of them.
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Pmac2 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:15 am Along the way they basically did whatever Jerry asked of them.
Didn't Jerry request that Winter Hill Gang take out the notarangeli Gang,
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

And they did. It gets blurred in the mainstream but Bulger was subservient to the mafia
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

I read he was good friends with Jr russo
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

If there’s anything we know about Bulger, it was that he was an opportunist and a snake. I’m sure he gave LCN The impression they were “working together” to make money. In reality, he was obviously ratting them out for his own benefit. I’m sure he knew what to do and say to keep himself alive.

As far as Southie and the other Irish neighborhoods, based on everything I’ve read it seems the Irish gangs in those areas did not have to pay tribute to the mob in order to operate there. That was considered their turf. Obviously, anything outside of those areas he probably had to be careful
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Pmac2 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:29 am I read he was good friends with Jr russo
Really? not from boston but have read some. that's surprising to me
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

CornerBoy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:37 am
Pmac2 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:29 am I read he was good friends with Jr russo
Really? not from boston but have read some. that's surprising to me
The book Hitman written by howie carr describes Jr. Russo as a friend of Bulger.