Rules on Fists fights between made guys?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HoagieNose
Straightened out

Rules on Fists fights between made guys?

Post by HoagieNose »

Is hitting a made guy not allowed even if you are a made guy on the same level as the other guy? Or is this not allowed all together? I can’t see this being followed regardless
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Rules on Fists fights between made guys?

Post by Dave65827 »

John Penninsi said when him and his friends got jumped by the Genovese they avoided hitting him because they believed he was made when he was not

I guess it truly depends on the situation
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Fist fights between made guys aren't supposed to happen under any circumstances. It's one of the rules they tell you at induction, you're not allowed to strike another made guy you could end up dead because of it.
HoagieNose
Straightened out

Post by HoagieNose »

johnny_scootch wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:53 pm Fist fights between made guys aren't supposed to happen under any circumstances. It's one of the rules they tell you at induction, you're not allowed to strike another made guy you could end up dead because of it.
Okay thanks I assumed that.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

I wonder how much of this "not raising hands" stuff is just for the movies. Looking at a lot of mob guys who've been arrested, especially the younger ones, I just don't buy that these guys don't throw hands frequently, and I mean with each other, over just about any petty thing they can think of.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
HoagieNose
Straightened out

Post by HoagieNose »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:36 pm I wonder how much of this "not raising hands" stuff is just for the movies. Looking at a lot of mob guys who've been arrested, especially the younger ones, I just don't buy that these guys don't throw hands frequently, and I mean with each other, over just about any petty thing they can think of.
Yeah especially hot headed Italian men arguing over money and whatnot. Can’t be realistic that they don’t fist fight occasionally
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

HoagieNose wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:38 pm
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:36 pm I wonder how much of this "not raising hands" stuff is just for the movies. Looking at a lot of mob guys who've been arrested, especially the younger ones, I just don't buy that these guys don't throw hands frequently, and I mean with each other, over just about any petty thing they can think of.
Yeah especially hot headed Italian men arguing over money and whatnot. Can’t be realistic that they don’t fist fight occasionally
I agree. Probably they do fist fight occasionally.Made men don’t fistfight because it would create major problems. The loser is never going to forgive and forget. But if it ever did happen where both agree to ‘step outside’, I’m guessing that it stays between them.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Michael Franzese once said something about fights between made guys along the lines: “it just doesn’t happen because it makes the whole family look bad, and the bosses don’t like it whenever that happens..”
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

It's not for the movies. Like I said before every single member is told this at induction right around the same time they say don't rat or fuck another members wife or daughter......its that serious. A top 3 rule for mafiosi.

I live in Brooklyn 40+ years and never once heard of one made guy hitting another let alone a full blown fist fight. It's extremely rare.

Of course there have been exceptions like everything else but it's absolutely nothing like what you're saying. You're making up a scenario in your head that has nothing to do with reality.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Speaking of movies or television, when Tony Soprano hit Ralph, Ralph went crazy saying I’m a made guy, you can put your hands on me.

I believe the majority of the guys in the show, agreed with Ralph. It’s only television, but does follow the trend of made guys not being aloud to fist fight, let alone even strike each other.

Doesn’t Donnie Brasco have a story or something like along these lines?
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

The only incident I can think of off hand was Vinny Bascaino ordering Dom Cicale to assault Gino Galestro.

From the Cicale Files book

Dominick's loyalty to Vinny was so absolute that Bascaino thought nothing of having him break a cardinal rule of Cosa Nostra, Bascaino ordered him to put his hands on a made member of the family-meaning he told Dominick to administer a beating. "That was a big no-no" Cicale said. "But Vinny didn't give a shit, so I did what I was told. In my eyes Vinny was always my boss."

"Gino was being disrespectful," Cicale said. "Gino sometimes failed to show up for meetings; sometimes he showed up 30 minutes late. Bascaino was tired of Gino's defiance and decided to send a message so that everyone in the family knew who was in charge. Gino lived on Staten Island and knew we couldn't monitor him properly. He thought he was slick, figuring that we would get fed up and shelve him. That's actually what he wanted. Then he'd be free to run around doing whatever he wanted."
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Physical violence between made members was/is strictly prohibited. Back in the day it was a killable offence. It's not something you can afford to do if you're in the mafia. In modern times, I would imagine you'll get yourself shelved at the very least. There are always exceptions, but they're very rare. Depending on the circumstances, it might be safer to make another made member disappear than give him a beating. At least that was the case with Anastasia and Mangano.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

During the old days in Chicago, high level members from one crew used to bash in every form low level members from another crew
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Dapper_Don
Straightened out

Post by Dapper_Don »

Occasionally there are also fights between made guys in prison. One that comes to mind was the beatdown John Baudanza (Lucchese) gave to Chickie DeMartino (Colombo) for calling his father in law Danny Cutaia (Lucchese Capo at the time) and his son Salvatore (Lucchese) rats
"Bill had to go, he was getting too powerful. If Allie Boy went away on a gun charge, Bill would have took over the family” - Joe Campy testimony about Jackie DeRoss explaining Will Bill murder
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:10 am During the old days in Chicago, high level members from one crew used to bash in every form low level members from another crew
That's my impression also. Any examples on hand though where the low level guy at the receiving end was a made guy at the time?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”