35 years ago

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Jimmy Napoli
Straightened out

35 years ago

Post by Jimmy Napoli »

Paul Castellano was killed.From this time distance,what can we say.No doubt he was better for fam,than JG.Was he a good boss?Or Gambino made mistake with him instead Neil.
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Re: 35 years ago

Post by Shellackhead »

Jimmy Napoli wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:45 am Paul Castellano was killed.From this time distance,what can we say.No doubt he was better for fam,than JG.Was he a good boss?Or Gambino made mistake with him instead Neil.
Now that I think about it, Carlo really made the right decision in picking Paul because Paul was a money guy and that’s what the mob needs now. The days of the murders were whining down anyway so Paul was the guy to take the family into the 21st century but it wasn’t meant to be I guess.
Mustangsally
Straightened out

Post by Mustangsally »

I don't think Carlo Gambino envisioned lcn as something that should exist in perpetuity. He didn't want the books opened in 76 because he was content to make his money and let things wind down. He clearly wanted to move the gambinos more towards legitimate business, which is why he picked a money/business guy.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Mustangsally wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:56 am I don't think Carlo Gambino envisioned lcn as something that should exist in perpetuity. He didn't want the books opened in 76 because he was content to make his money and let things wind down. He clearly wanted to move the gambinos more towards legitimate business, which is why he picked a money/business guy.
I think your right there. Carlo saw the law was closing in on them. He didn't live to see RICO in the works. But they were set to deport him eventually. Had he lived another 8yrs they would have succeeded in Deporting him. I think he saw the days of getting away with crime over. Today you have to be a idiot to be involved. Its a lose lose situation. There is no more upside anymore.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Gambino did not pick Castellano.
There you have it, never printed before.
don-shunter
Straightened out

Post by don-shunter »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:17 am Gambino did not pick Castellano.
Correct. It seems that was another myth perpetuated by the media at the time. Trying to romanticise the Mafia like they were a royal family anointing successors. Recent documents prove from CI's around the time that it was initially a toss up between Castellano, Dellacroce and Gallo for the top job. It does seem that the majority of the family went with Castellano maybe because they saw that he was as corporate and business wise as most big CEOs and that was how they wanted the family to go.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Paul killed way more people then Gotti. Or probably any other mob boss. Think about how many old or nod of the head to kill someone
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Recently heard John Alite say he knew about the Castellano plot in advance. He says he was eating with a Lucchese guy the night it happened and was anticipating it. So he's not only saying he knew about the plot, but knew the specific day it was going to happen.

I like his show and listen to most of the episodes as long as they don't have a rapper on. I don't take him or Borello too seriously, but aside from his claims of having tons of hits under his belt, I don't normally take much issue with what Alite says. Having a hard time with this claim, though.

--

Speaking of the Castellano murder, what gets me is DeCicco supposedly reassured Failla inside Sparks that he (Failla) wasn't targeted. If this is true, DeCicco admitted to being one of the conspirators within minutes of the murder. Sure he was close to Failla, but he admitted this to a Castellano loyalist. Failla was one of the conspirators in DeCicco's bomb murder, too. You have to figure Failla told the Genovese / Lucchese leaders what DeCicco said inside Sparks.

Not a smart move on DeCicco's part. He didn't need to reassure Failla. He knew Failla wasn't going to get hurt, so why bother saying anything?

I believe Gravano is the original source on the DeCicco->Failla exchange.
baldo
Straightened out

Post by baldo »

Rocco wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:42 am
Mustangsally wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:56 am I don't think Carlo Gambino envisioned lcn as something that should exist in perpetuity. He didn't want the books opened in 76 because he was content to make his money and let things wind down. He clearly wanted to move the gambinos more towards legitimate business, which is why he picked a money/business guy.
I think your right there. Carlo saw the law was closing in on them. He didn't live to see RICO in the works. But they were set to deport him eventually. Had he lived another 8yrs they would have succeeded in Deporting him. I think he saw the days of getting away with crime over. Today you have to be a idiot to be involved. Its a lose lose situation. There is no more upside anymore.
This is an interesting take especially when taken in the conjunction with the other “is Barney really a boss thread”. I’ve always wondered to what extent these guys care about LCN carrying on versus making their own money and dying peacefully. Might explain the other smaller cities with less of a pool of guys to take over once established bosses died off (who probably only cared about taking care of their immediate families). Obviously not taking RICO into consideration but something to think about.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

B. wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:22 pm Recently heard John Alite say he knew about the Castellano plot in advance. He says he was eating with a Lucchese guy the night it happened and was anticipating it. So he's not only saying he knew about the plot, but knew the specific day it was going to happen.

I like his show and listen to most of the episodes as long as they don't have a rapper on. I don't take him or Borello too seriously, but aside from his claims of having tons of hits under his belt, I don't normally take much issue with what Alite says. Having a hard time with this claim, though
Alite is absolutely full of shit on this one. As we know, Gotti and his guys only approached the leaders of three other families about whether they would be ok with Castellano being taken out. They didn't know any specifics. Hell, even the shooters didn't know who they were hitting until they gathered shortly before it went down. Naturally, Gotti and the others couldn't afford to have the info slip out, Paul or law enforcement tipped off, etc. The idea Alite, who was a low level nobody at the time, was in the know is beyond absurd.
All roads lead to New York.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Wiseguy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:16 pm
B. wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:22 pm Recently heard John Alite say he knew about the Castellano plot in advance. He says he was eating with a Lucchese guy the night it happened and was anticipating it. So he's not only saying he knew about the plot, but knew the specific day it was going to happen.

I like his show and listen to most of the episodes as long as they don't have a rapper on. I don't take him or Borello too seriously, but aside from his claims of having tons of hits under his belt, I don't normally take much issue with what Alite says. Having a hard time with this claim, though
Alite is absolutely full of shit on this one. As we know, Gotti and his guys only approached the leaders of three other families about whether they would be ok with Castellano being taken out. They didn't know any specifics. Hell, even the shooters didn't know who they were hitting until they gathered shortly before it went down. Naturally, Gotti and the others couldn't afford to have the info slip out, Paul or law enforcement tipped off, etc. The idea Alite, who was a low level nobody at the time, was in the know is beyond absurd.
Do we know who the 3 families were
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

Frank wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Lucchese, Colombo and Bonnano
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Luccheses, Colombos and Bonannos. Though, if memory serves, Massino later claimed he would have never given his approval. But Amuso and Casso from the Luccheses and Gerry Lang from the Colombos did. Of course, Gotti and Co. didn't approach the Genovese family, who they knew would be against it.
All roads lead to New York.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Wiseguy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Luccheses, Colombos and Bonannos. Though, if memory serves, Massino later claimed he would have never given his approval. But Amuso and Casso from the Luccheses and Gerry Lang from the Colombos did. Of course, Gotti and Co. didn't approach the Genovese family, who they knew would be against it.
Ok the reason I asked was I thought Amuso and Casso were against it. They must of been playing both ends.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Did the Hydell attempt to kill Casso have something to do with Casso and Amuso joining the Chin to take out Gotti and his underboss in retaliation for killing Big Paulie.