Jersey, geography, trends, etc.

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Jersey, geography, trends, etc.

Post by Wiseguy »

Trying to figure out the Genovese crews in Jersey over the past 20 or 30 years has been frustrating to say the least. Ironically, I think part of the confusion came from the 1989 and 2004 reports from the New Jersey State Commission of Investigation.

The 1989 report listed as follows:

1. Manna
2. Digilio
3. Gatto (Streaky)
4. Gerardo

The 2004 report listed as follows:

1. Fiumara
2. Prisco
3. Gatto (Joseph)
4. DeVita
5. Bruschi

Here's what I've been able to gather. Anyone feel free to weigh in, agree, disagree, whatever.

Digilio was only a solider, albeit an influential one on the waterfront before he was killed. The Prisco (later LaScala) crew was given oversight of his interests on the waterfront. But the Prisco/LaScala crew was always New York-based and so never should have been included as one of the New Jersey-based crews. The 2012 indictment of LaScala was in New Jersey but he was the only made guy in it. The rest were associates. Anyway, that crew seems to be finished.

While it's true that Joseph Gatto inherited much of his father's interests, there seems to have been some discrepancy in law enforcement whether he was ever actually a captain. Some officials said, while he was considered a high level operative, he was only a soldier. Either way, the Gatto crew and the Fiumara crew seem to have been essentially the same crew. Gatto, Firumara, Coppola, Borelli, DePiro - all the same crew.

DeVita took over the Gerardo crew. Doesn't seem to be too much mystery there aside from DeVita's ability to avoid significant law enforcement scrutiny for so many years now despite being an identified captain.

That leaves Manna from the 1989 report and Bruschi from the 2004 report. It seems Bruschi was in the same crew as Dentico (who came from New York) and Manna's interests fell to them. Bruschi was indicted as a captain in 2003 but, strangely, was identified as only being "associated with the Genovese family" when he and Dentico (identified as captain) were indicted together in 2005.

Like the Prisco/LaScala crew, several New York-based Genovese crews have had operations in New Jersey. The Tuzzo crew was another example. But it seems there may have been only three (or so) crews based there all along. Not unlike years before when it was Catena, Boiardo and DeCarlo. Catena you can trace down the line to Fiumara, etc. Boiardo you can trace down to DeVita. The DeCarlo crew, of course, was merged with the New York-based Tieri crew at one point. So that leaves Dentico/Bruschi. At least in the past. If we are only looking at fairly recent history, like the last decade or so, it's only been two crews - Coppola/DePiro (formerly Fiumara) and DeVita, that have had indictments or we've at least had news about.

In a way, this seems to coincide with general trends in New Jersey. From what I can tell, only the Genovese and Lucchese families have crews based in the state now. In 2019, a report USA Today did on the Waterfront Commission quoted authorities as saying two of the five NY families - Genovese and Luccheses - operated in the state; although the Gambinos and Bonannos still had ties to it. The Lucchese crew there seems to be slowly dwindling. The last Gambino captain in the state was Nicky Mitarotonda in the early-mid 2000's. He was indicted in 2006 and not much of any news since. The last big Gambino bust in the state was in 2007 and Merola and Muccigrosso (both soldiers) were the only Gambino members indicted. As for the Bonannos, Sammartino was indicted as a captain in 2009. Civello was identified as a soldier by New Jersey officials in 2015. Both families have activity in the state but it seems to be from New York-based crews. Of course the Colombos haven't really had a presence in the state for 20 years now.

In a larger sense, I'm starting to think that the New Jersey-based crews from the Genovese and Luccheses are the only ones now based outside New York from the five families. A constricting of geographical scope, so to speak.

For the Genovese, all crews seem to be New York-based except for the ones based in New Jersey. They still have activity in Westchester, the North Suburbs (Rockland County, etc.), and Connecticut but it's from New York-based crews. They also have activity in Florida but their last crew based there was taken out in 2006. They still have activity in Massachusetts but the what's left in Springfield (one known member and some associates) is now overseen from the Ianniello/O'Nofrio crew in New York.

For the Gambinos, all crews seem to be New York-based. They still have activity in Westchester. They still have activity in Connecticut but it has been overseen by the New York-based crew (now run by Sciandra) since the 1980's. And they have activity in Florida but their last crew based there was taken out in 2008.

For the Luccheses, all crews seem to be New York-based except for their one crew in New Jersey. They also have activity in Westchester.

For the Colombos, all crews seem to be New York-based. They also have activity in Florida but their last crew based there was taken out around 2011 or so.

For the Bonannos, all crews seem to be New York-based. They still have activity in New Jersey and Florida but from New York-based crews. Of course, their Montreal crew broke off in the late 1990's.

Maybe new info will come forth in the future that will enhance or correct what I posted above but that's the way things look to me at present.
All roads lead to New York.
Southshore88
Straightened out

Re: Jersey, geography, trends, etc.

Post by Southshore88 »

Interesting about having the non-NY territories managed by a NY crew. Have to wonder if they want all of their crews managed by someone closer to the home base or someone closer to the admin.

The Genovese have only had management level (captain/acting captain) snitches from their satellite crews in Springfield and FL if I’m not mistaken. Then for the Luke’s, NJ captain Tumac snitched. No one is mistaking folks like Manna, Timo, etc. as Arilotta type figures but makes you wonder if the admin feel more comfortable with locally based/NY management sitting over their crews based farther away?
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Ninny Bruschi who was skipper of the crew that operates down here at the shore mainly in Monmouth/Ocean Counties recently passed away.

I haven’t heard who is steering the ship now there but someone is, they ran a HUGE sports betting gambling package going on years now (probably like 30 years or more). Especially now during football season, someone is running that crew in his place $$$

Dante
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

It’s been posted on here before :

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/app/o ... fhid=17076
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

NJShore4Life wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:28 am It’s been posted on here before :

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/app/o ... fhid=17076
Love the quotes in the obituaries like this “ loved to spend time in New York City with his close family of friends”
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I'm not sure if Manna was ever a Capo. He may have risen from Soldier (from the Gigante crew) to Consigliere.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:41 pm In a way, this seems to coincide with general trends in New Jersey. From what I can tell, only the Genovese and Lucchese families have crews based in the state now. In 2019, a report USA Today did on the Waterfront Commission quoted authorities as saying two of the five NY families - Genovese and Luccheses - operated in the state; although the Gambinos and Bonannos still had ties to it. The Lucchese crew there seems to be slowly dwindling. The last Gambino captain in the state was Nicky Mitarotonda in the early-mid 2000's. He was indicted in 2006 and not much of any news since. The last big Gambino bust in the state was in 2007 and Merola and Muccigrosso (both soldiers) were the only Gambino members indicted. As for the Bonannos, Sammartino was indicted as a captain in 2009. Civello was identified as a soldier by New Jersey officials in 2015. Both families have activity in the state but it seems to be from New York-based crews. Of course the Colombos haven't really had a presence in the state for 20 years now.
Vincent Beltempo was a Gambino captain in NJ around 2010 per the Nicky Skins tapes. Louis Filippelli is based in NJ seems to have took over the Funzi Sisca crew and was identified as a captain in the Campos indictment.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:41 pm Trying to figure out the Genovese crews in Jersey over the past 20 or 30 years has been frustrating to say the least. Ironically, I think part of the confusion came from the 1989 and 2004 reports from the New Jersey State Commission of Investigation.

The 1989 report listed as follows:

1. Manna
2. Digilio
3. Gatto (Streaky)
4. Gerardo

The 2004 report listed as follows:

1. Fiumara
2. Prisco
3. Gatto (Joseph)
4. DeVita
5. Bruschi

Here's what I've been able to gather. Anyone feel free to weigh in, agree, disagree, whatever.

Digilio was only a solider, albeit an influential one on the waterfront before he was killed. The Prisco (later LaScala) crew was given oversight of his interests on the waterfront. But the Prisco/LaScala crew was always New York-based and so never should have been included as one of the New Jersey-based crews. The 2012 indictment of LaScala was in New Jersey but he was the only made guy in it. The rest were associates. Anyway, that crew seems to be finished.

While it's true that Joseph Gatto inherited much of his father's interests, there seems to have been some discrepancy in law enforcement whether he was ever actually a captain. Some officials said, while he was considered a high level operative, he was only a soldier. Either way, the Gatto crew and the Fiumara crew seem to have been essentially the same crew. Gatto, Firumara, Coppola, Borelli, DePiro - all the same crew.

DeVita took over the Gerardo crew. Doesn't seem to be too much mystery there aside from DeVita's ability to avoid significant law enforcement scrutiny for so many years now despite being an identified captain.

That leaves Manna from the 1989 report and Bruschi from the 2004 report. It seems Bruschi was in the same crew as Dentico (who came from New York) and Manna's interests fell to them. Bruschi was indicted as a captain in 2003 but, strangely, was identified as only being "associated with the Genovese family" when he and Dentico (identified as captain) were indicted together in 2005.

Like the Prisco/LaScala crew, several New York-based Genovese crews have had operations in New Jersey. The Tuzzo crew was another example. But it seems there may have been only three (or so) crews based there all along. Not unlike years before when it was Catena, Boiardo and DeCarlo. Catena you can trace down the line to Fiumara, etc. Boiardo you can trace down to DeVita. The DeCarlo crew, of course, was merged with the New York-based Tieri crew at one point. So that leaves Dentico/Bruschi. At least in the past. If we are only looking at fairly recent history, like the last decade or so, it's only been two crews - Coppola/DePiro (formerly Fiumara) and DeVita, that have had indictments or we've at least had news about.

In a way, this seems to coincide with general trends in New Jersey. From what I can tell, only the Genovese and Lucchese families have crews based in the state now. In 2019, a report USA Today did on the Waterfront Commission quoted authorities as saying two of the five NY families - Genovese and Luccheses - operated in the state; although the Gambinos and Bonannos still had ties to it. The Lucchese crew there seems to be slowly dwindling. The last Gambino captain in the state was Nicky Mitarotonda in the early-mid 2000's. He was indicted in 2006 and not much of any news since. The last big Gambino bust in the state was in 2007 and Merola and Muccigrosso (both soldiers) were the only Gambino members indicted. As for the Bonannos, Sammartino was indicted as a captain in 2009. Civello was identified as a soldier by New Jersey officials in 2015. Both families have activity in the state but it seems to be from New York-based crews. Of course the Colombos haven't really had a presence in the state for 20 years now.

In a larger sense, I'm starting to think that the New Jersey-based crews from the Genovese and Luccheses are the only ones now based outside New York from the five families. A constricting of geographical scope, so to speak.

For the Genovese, all crews seem to be New York-based except for the ones based in New Jersey. They still have activity in Westchester, the North Suburbs (Rockland County, etc.), and Connecticut but it's from New York-based crews. They also have activity in Florida but their last crew based there was taken out in 2006. They still have activity in Massachusetts but the what's left in Springfield (one known member and some associates) is now overseen from the Ianniello/O'Nofrio crew in New York.

For the Gambinos, all crews seem to be New York-based. They still have activity in Westchester. They still have activity in Connecticut but it has been overseen by the New York-based crew (now run by Sciandra) since the 1980's. And they have activity in Florida but their last crew based there was taken out in 2008.

For the Luccheses, all crews seem to be New York-based except for their one crew in New Jersey. They also have activity in Westchester.

For the Colombos, all crews seem to be New York-based. They also have activity in Florida but their last crew based there was taken out around 2011 or so.

For the Bonannos, all crews seem to be New York-based. They still have activity in New Jersey and Florida but from New York-based crews. Of course, their Montreal crew broke off in the late 1990's.

Maybe new info will come forth in the future that will enhance or correct what I posted above but that's the way things look to me at present.
This is great. How do you remember this stuff?
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

I'd say there is a Gambino crew - small - in Belleville and surrounding area. DiGilio being a powerful soldier true but still an understatement. Super tough guy. Fiumara was away for so long, and he a powerful soldier only at the time of incarceration. He had a Down Neck crew but someone from Hoboken I know insists he reported there. Gatto is a separate crew in and around Lodi in my view. Bruschi seems to be an offshoot really of the Boiardo crew as that whole Long Branch area was his turf. With all the arrests, many were just operating large crews.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 am I'm not sure if Manna was ever a Capo. He may have risen from Soldier (from the Gigante crew) to Consigliere.

Pogo
Yeah, I don't think Manna was a captain.
JohnnyS wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:20 amVincent Beltempo was a Gambino captain in NJ around 2010 per the Nicky Skins tapes. Louis Filippelli is based in NJ seems to have took over the Funzi Sisca crew and was identified as a captain in the Campos indictment.
It seems to be more a case of Sisca/Filippelli being New York-based (mainly Queens) with operations in New Jersey

You're right, the Skins tapes from 2010 seem to have identified Beltempo as a captain. If that's the case, he (and the Gambinos as a whole) have been rather quiet in Jersey over the past decade. One also wonders why NJ officials didn't seem to acknowledge them last year. Like the Bonannos, the Gambinos don't seem to have enough activity in Jersey to warrant a standing crew based there.
Tonyd621 wrote:This is great. How do you remember this stuff?
I've just kept a running record of mob cases since 2000. Besides being a good reference, it provides a way to identify trends that one otherwise can't by just going on memory or that last article, indictment, etc.
outfit guy wrote:I'd say there is a Gambino crew - small - in Belleville and surrounding area. DiGilio being a powerful soldier true but still an understatement. Super tough guy.
Well, until he ended up floating in the river with bullets in the head.
Fiumara was away for so long, and he a powerful soldier only at the time of incarceration. He had a Down Neck crew but someone from Hoboken I know insists he reported there. Gatto is a separate crew in and around Lodi in my view. Bruschi seems to be an offshoot really of the Boiardo crew as that whole Long Branch area was his turf. With all the arrests, many were just operating large crews.
The question is, at what point is this info, and how things lined up 15-20+ years ago, outdated?
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:45 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:10 am I'm not sure if Manna was ever a Capo. He may have risen from Soldier (from the Gigante crew) to Consigliere.

Pogo
Yeah, I don't think Manna was a captain.
JohnnyS wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:20 amVincent Beltempo was a Gambino captain in NJ around 2010 per the Nicky Skins tapes. Louis Filippelli is based in NJ seems to have took over the Funzi Sisca crew and was identified as a captain in the Campos indictment.
It seems to be more a case of Sisca/Filippelli being New York-based (mainly Queens) with operations in New Jersey

You're right, the Skins tapes from 2010 seem to have identified Beltempo as a captain. If that's the case, he (and the Gambinos as a whole) have been rather quiet in Jersey over the past decade. One also wonders why NJ officials didn't seem to acknowledge them last year. Like the Bonannos, the Gambinos don't seem to have enough activity in Jersey to warrant a standing crew based there.
Tonyd621 wrote:This is great. How do you remember this stuff?

Not being condescending, but you think maybe they are just good at their jobs and not publicly known yet?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Tonyd621 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:00 pmNot being condescending, but you think maybe they are just good at their jobs and not publicly known yet?
Sure, that's possible. But that possibility fades as more time goes by.
richard_belding
Straightened out

Post by richard_belding »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:41 pm The last big Gambino bust in the state was in 2007 and Merola and Muccigrosso (both soldiers) were the only Gambino members indicted.
Was Merola indicted as a soldier in that case? A gangland article regarding that bust has Merola as having "moved up the ladder in the Gambino organization, taking over the remnants of the Bisaccia crew" and "Merola is a reputed Gambino family capo and leader of the organization’s New Jersey faction."

Keep in mind the article was written by GA and not JC, for whatever its worth.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

richard_belding wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:24 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:41 pm The last big Gambino bust in the state was in 2007 and Merola and Muccigrosso (both soldiers) were the only Gambino members indicted.
Was Merola indicted as a soldier in that case? A gangland article regarding that bust has Merola as having "moved up the ladder in the Gambino organization, taking over the remnants of the Bisaccia crew" and "Merola is a reputed Gambino family capo and leader of the organization’s New Jersey faction."

Keep in mind the article was written by GA and not JC, for whatever its worth.
Yes, he was indicted as a soldier. Press releases called him a "high ranking soldier."
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

The two lists found in Vincent Esposito’s house (one of NJ members who have died in the last 20 years and one of current made NJ members) seem to imply there is at least one current NJ crew that is actively making new members.

I have in my notes Domenic “Big D” Cefalu identified as a Gambino captain and lives in Eatontown, NJ