powerful non italians within

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

queensnyer
Straightened out

powerful non italians within

Post by queensnyer »

sorry if this has been asked already, just curious. in its hayday the mob had a few non Italian associates given the respect of made men and or capos, running crews of associates even. ie: jimmy burke, joe watts, Meldish even. are there currently any similar guys on the street. powerful non Italian associates, with impact and respect. im assuming some Russian or Albanian guys are around but id consider them more with their own kind. just guys running exclusively under flag with the Italians.??
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Re: powerful non italians within

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Didn't Jimmy Burke pretty much run the non-made associates of the Vario crew? And I believe he had autonomy to whack any of them. I'm sure he was supposed to check in with Vario, especially before killing an Italian, but I'll bet he didn't always. As long as the money was rolling in Vario put his faith in Burke.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

he was able to protect DeSimone for longer than he should have been allowed, ill tell you that, guy was a problem with the gambinos even before the batts hit. him and Gotti were on a collision course
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

but that's what I mean powerful guys within the 5 families who were not italian
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

And the fact that only DeSimone faced consequences for the Batts murder shows how valuable Burke was. He got away with killing a made guy. And it would seem he was able to spare Henry Hill too. Or was this around the time Hill flipped anyway?
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

don't know timeline exactly. the movie I don't think was 100% accurate in that respect. Hill wasn't as big of a gangster as the movie made him out to be, not sure if Hill played a part in the batts murder as the movie shows, but yeah still a low level associate, there shouldn't have even been a question.
queensnyer
Straightened out

Post by queensnyer »

and joe watts was I hear respected to the level of captain although I don't know whats true or false. I even heard rumors he represented Gambino family at sit downs but again idk
FriendofFamily
Full Patched

Post by FriendofFamily »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 am And the fact that only DeSimone faced consequences for the Batts murder shows how valuable Burke was. He got away with killing a made guy. And it would seem he was able to spare Henry Hill too. Or was this around the time Hill flipped anyway?
Hey Grouchy Sinatra I like your Avatar - Have you met Tommy Lasorda?

I see him when he is in Chicago for the White Sox Game and talk to him here.
Know which Game to Play
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

No I haven't. Only seen him at games and sometimes pretty close as I always got to the Giants/Dodger games early. He always waved at the booing fans at Candlestick.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Gerard Ouimette in the Patriarca family.
Lefty_Ruggiero
Straightened out

Post by Lefty_Ruggiero »

Hugh McIntosh was also very respected for Colombo side. Five Families mentioned even though he was Irish, he had alot of influence.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

queensnyer wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:02 am sorry if this has been asked already, just curious. in its hayday the mob had a few non Italian associates given the respect of made men and or capos, running crews of associates even. ie: jimmy burke, joe watts, Meldish even. are there currently any similar guys on the street. powerful non Italian associates, with impact and respect. im assuming some Russian or Albanian guys are around but id consider them more with their own kind. just guys running exclusively under flag with the Italians.??
It's interesting because I can think of very few current non-Italian powerhouses in the NY Mafia. I can't guarantee these guys are still active but, for the Colombos, we have, offhand;
- Leonid Kaplan, a Russian medical practitioner who pretty much introduced the Colombo crime family into the Russians' medical-insurance fraud scams across South Brooklyn, particularly in Brighton Beach and Coney Island. The scheme was initially started by Joe Campanella as a shakedown scheme; Kaplan would tip Campanella off to these independent, dodgy medical establishments, and Campanella would shake them down. Campanella testified about this, but Kaplan's identity was unmasked until he was indicted for it in 2009, seven years after Joe Campy left the street. All the evidence points towards (but does not explicitly confirm) that Joe Baudanza took over that racket when Campanella flipped, since Campanella wasn't really privy to the inner workings of the scheme. It all went through Kaplan, who we all need to keep in mind was a Russian doctor, not a Russian mobster.
- Chris Curanovic is another one who was direct with the family's underboss (Sonny Franzese) and helped convey some of Franzese's more violent orders, like the infamous Rue B shakedown. Curanovic is also involved in everything from home burglaries to smuggling rocket launchers to Kosovo. That's not even a joke. It's been a while since I looked at his 2008 case with Sonny, but I remember being surprised at how he bossed around people like acting captain Michael Catapano in regards to the cross-country cocaine dealings with Ori Spado (a/k/a/ Anti-Drug Ori, the biggest fuckin' coke dealer in Long Island). Curanovic also repeatedly pushed for approval for murders, but was never actually charged with a murder conspiracy since he talked about it so casually that it would be hard for prosecutors to establish he had an actual plot. I think all those offhand murder conspiracies were thrown in as "Bad Acts," crimes that could be brought up at trial but were not formally laid against him.
- John Dunn has also been the one of the Colombo family's Joker-Poker hook-ups/servicemen and was a core member of Joey Amato's crew in the 1980s, but I don't know whether he was given the same respect as a made member.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Joe Scarborough is a Genovese associate who runs his own crew of associates. There isn't much information available on him, but if you search hard enough there are a few articles that mention him.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/2006/03/07 ... 141709861/
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

gohnjotti wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:09 pm
- Chris Curanovic is another one who was direct with the family's underboss (Sonny Franzese)

Am I the only who read his surname as Coronavirus upon first seeing this post? :lol:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:13 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:09 pm
- Chris Curanovic is another one who was direct with the family's underboss (Sonny Franzese)

Am I the only who read his surname as Coronavirus upon first seeing this post? :lol:

Pogo
:lol:
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com