The Valachi Papers

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

500YearReign
Straightened out

The Valachi Papers

Post by 500YearReign »

https://youtu.be/94aAjvHSmvo

Just fast forward through the commercials, otherwise the video quality is great.

To think he was Maranzano's driver, made by Maranzano, knew and did business with Lucky Luciano, Vito Genovese, etc etc... Married to the niece of Profaci, daughter of Reina?

I've read his personal biographical draft but it is missing too many bulk sections of pages, which always happen to be at a pivotal and crucial point.

The best parts of it in my opinion are the characterizations of the Upper East Side of Manhattan and what it was like to grow up, live and hustle in that time.
"People always underestimate me, Don."

<>

"You know what the real difference is between crooks and lawmen, Warden?

[Warden] Try me.

What side of the bars they're on."
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Re: The Valachi Papers

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

It’s a decent movie. It’s one of the mob movies I have downloaded on my laptop and I watch parts of it now and then.

And I always loved that you can see the twin towers when Valachi crashes his car in the east river
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: The Valachi Papers

Post by Lupara »

MichaelGiovanni wrote:It’s a decent movie. It’s one of the mob movies I have downloaded on my laptop and I watch parts of it now and then.

And I always loved that you can see the twin towers when Valachi crashes his car in the east river
Or 70s cars in the background.

However the actor who plays Vito Genovese has been one of the best/most accurate casting in mob movies. He truly behaves and looks the part.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Lupara wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:02 pm
MichaelGiovanni wrote:It’s a decent movie. It’s one of the mob movies I have downloaded on my laptop and I watch parts of it now and then.

Or 70s cars in the background.

However the actor who plays Vito Genovese has been one of the best/most accurate casting in mob movies. He truly behaves and looks the part.
You are absolutely right on that. That actor nailed that role.
500YearReign
Straightened out

Post by 500YearReign »

"It is time for me to speak:

I speak now for the future, not for the past - which has sometimes been - - unhappy...

From this day, I wish to be your friend.

For friendship is everything.

Friendship is more than beauty, more than talent, more than government, more than anything except the family.

And perhaps one day you and your fine family may need a friend...

Rather than a lawyer who will lead you in circles and take your money...

Or the police, who will end up only by offending and upsetting you.

And if such a day should come...

I trust that you will turn to me, a friend of ____________, a member of your family,

and a member of friends who can be counted as those who have respect.

Not only in this city, in this country -- but beyond the seas..."

<>

[Warden] Try me.

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Who said that?
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Maxie that quote is from Vito Genovese in the movie. It’s at the 1h:28m minute mark.

Valachi being properly introduced to Reina’s daughter and her mother Mrs Reina by Genovese
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Lol I do remember that part with him addressing Mrs Reina as compare to Valachi
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Nice to read the positive reviews on the performance of Lino Ventura. He was the best French actor with Belmondo, Gabin & Delon. he is considered a legend in my country. And actually he is great in Vito Genovese.
To get back to the movies, even considering the anachronisms you're talking about, or the various mistakes (it's not a big money movie), the film is still very good. It is part of my top of the genre about the Mafia
500YearReign
Straightened out

Post by 500YearReign »

<>

[Warden] Try me.

500YearReign
Straightened out

Post by 500YearReign »

The link above contains Valachi's handwritten autobiography "the real thing."

<>

[Warden] Try me.

BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone: As much as I agree that Lino Ventura was a great casting choice for Vito Genovese--a REALLY good choice--I was struck by how similar in facial features the actor that played Lucky Luciano. Perhaps not the actor's affect, which I believe may have been too genteel for the real Luciano, but the facial construction was spot on. Only my opinion.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

BeatiPaoli wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 am To Everyone: As much as I agree that Lino Ventura was a great casting choice for Vito Genovese--a REALLY good choice--I was struck by how similar in facial features the actor that played Lucky Luciano. Perhaps not the actor's affect, which I believe may have been too genteel for the real Luciano, but the facial construction was spot on. Only my opinion.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
Angelo Infanti is also a very good actor but he is little exploited in the film. It's a shame because as you say, it has a face similar to Luciano. He plays a role in The Godfather (one of two guys in Sicily with Michael, not the one who betrays, the other). An actor who is bluffing in the role of Luciano is Gian Maria Volonte. I'm not sure the movie is very popular (I personally like it), but Volonte is great.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

BeatiPaoli wrote:To Everyone: As much as I agree that Lino Ventura was a great casting choice for Vito Genovese--a REALLY good choice--I was struck by how similar in facial features the actor that played Lucky Luciano. Perhaps not the actor's affect, which I believe may have been too genteel for the real Luciano, but the facial construction was spot on. Only my opinion.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
Absolutely. Good casting in general. At the Apalachin meeting you also see a character that resembles don Carlo.
bingo
Honorary Member

Post by bingo »

maxiestern11 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:41 pm Who said that?
Either San Giovanni or Padre Pio.