Lupertazzi crime family

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

barbwiregrind
Prospect

Lupertazzi crime family

Post by barbwiregrind »

Im sure most of you guys have seen the Sopranos. I enjoy following the 'mythology' of it. trying to put the pieces together and kinda find out the real counter parts.

Like Vinny Ocean being the real Tony, which is think is actually false. Tony Soprano Seems to actually be a compilation of 3 of 4 wiseguys from the late 80s early 90s and maybe some influence from the early 70s DeCavalcante family. But thats not why i made this topic..

Who is the Lupertazzi family aka 'New York' based on? if you look at the majority of the show heres the lay out (though it changes towards the later seasons):

1: Aging boss Carmine Lupertazzi is an old school boss with his head still kinda stuck in his own prime. Good with money, respected greatly by his soldiers. Very cautious.

Has a son Carmine JR who owns a few clubs down in Florida but is not directly involved with family business. He is considered less then capable by his peers. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

2: His underboss is Johnny Sacramoni aka johnny sac. He is decisive and intelligent. Comes up with very complicated ways to squeeze his construction companies that he is a silent partner in. He seems to have found modern ways to extort construction unions. But he has a temper and a short one. When something upsets him it seems to take a lot to calm him down.

He believes in the old way of doing things, almost a man living the wrong generation. (see episode 'the weight') he believes in the older LCN customs. Stand up diplomat with other families. Always finds ways to cooperate with other groups such as the sopranos when necessary.

Those 2 characters are the majority of what we get to see of their heirarchy except for the consigliere, who i cannot recall the name of. :?:

3: OTHER DETAILS

1: its mentioned that they had several crews and several "button men" surpassing the Soprano family by far. to the point that Carmine historically noted that the Sopranos were a 'glorified crew' and later on they were referenced as Farmers, a common name for out of new york wiseguys.

2: Several members were released in 2004 after a very long stint involving truck robberies and other crimes including their actual consigliere.

3: They have a very large interest in new jersey. Mainly involving construction jobs and union shakedowns such as sharing no show jobs. In fact their underboss even lives in jersey.

4: Even though they seem to have difficulty distributing leadership after the death of Carmine Sr they scoff at the idea of a panel similar to other families and the Sopranos themselves. They are extremely traditional in their beliefs, even after most families have made large changes to their leadership (panels). They were even upset that the Soprano family doesn't put a sword and gun on the table. Tradition is at the core of their lives.

etc etc...

Basically out of curiosity i wanted to know what family has the most similarities. Obviously they are based on someone even if loosely. Its very detailed and complex to just be random coincidences,

Thoughts?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: Lupertazzi crime family

Post by JCB1977 »

Very difficult to answer, you'd have to email David Chase and Terrance Winter. ALL families "make" their soldiers differently. Ceremonies are very different between Sicilian and Calabrian traditions. I'm sure that some NY families laugh at the way other families make their soldiers and vice versa. I think it is different based on what region of Italy they come from.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Personally I think they borrowed a lot from the Colombos/Persicos for the 5th season.

Carmine Lupertazzi looks a lot like Carmine Persico. Both bald headed with big fish lips (thanks Uncle Junior :lol:). Plus they are both named Carmine. After Carmine dies his family erupts into a civil war between the natural successor (Johnny Sac) and those who wanted his son (Little Carmine who spent a lot of time in Florida) to take over. Much like when Carmine Persico went to prison civil war eventually broke out between his natural successor (Vic Orena) and those who wanted his son to take over (Little Allie Boy who spent a lot of time in Florida).

Later in the series one of the Fed characters (I beleive) says how historically they have been one of the most dysfuntional families (just like the Colombos). Paulie also makes the comment "I suvived the 70s by the skin of my nuts when the Colombos were going at it. There ain't a bigger cocksucker than Phil Leotardo" which would imply that Phil Leotardo was involved with the Colombos.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
CarmineGalante
Prospect

Post by CarmineGalante »

I always thought the Lupertazzi family was based on the Lucchese family. Not only because of the similarities of the name, but because the Lucchese were big in new jersey. I always kind of imagined Phil Leotardo as Vic Amuso and his "whack jersey" tirade. Just my 2 cents
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Aside from using a long list of real life sources that influenced the characters and storylines, very little about the Sopranos is meant to be based on a particular group.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Yea if I had to choose what family they are like the most I'm with Pogo in that I would choose the Colombo's and the Persico's specifically. But I agree with others in that Chase was known to pick and choose (much like Puzo) parts out of various families for all the members of the show.

It sucks shows like that have to be killed due to money, etc. The costs just eventually outweigh what the show brings in. SoA was another one that had to be killed off even if we weren't ready, Breaking Bad, etc.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Five Felonies
Full Patched

Post by Five Felonies »

it gets very confusing depending on what criteria you are using to determine which family they were most similar to. personally, i always assumed it was the genovese bases on tony stating something along the lines of phil having 200 soldiers along with the fact that they had so many operations in jersey.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

dixiemafia wrote:Yea if I had to choose what family they are like the most I'm with Pogo in that I would choose the Colombo's and the Persico's specifically.

Another example I remember is when Phil Leotardo got whacked Agent Harris said "Damn we're gonna win this thing". That was of course what Agent Divecchio said after Colombo Capo Nicky Grancio got whacked. In the last season Harris was heavily inspired by Devecchio.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Five Felonies wrote:it gets very confusing depending on what criteria you are using to determine which family they were most similar to. personally, i always assumed it was the genovese bases on tony stating something along the lines of phil having 200 soldiers along with the fact that they had so many operations in jersey.
BANG! Youra dead! Tee heee heeee ha ha ha ha haaaaa.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
123JoeSchmo
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by 123JoeSchmo »

I always thought the Corleone Family was based off the Genovese Family, but I could be wrong
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I remember reading somewhere that Puzo based Vito Corleone on his mother. He probably got the olive oil thing from Joe Profaci. The war of the families against the Corelones and Tessio betraying Michael could be from the Banana Wars and Gaspar DiGregorio betraying Bill Bonanno which was in the news around the time he started writing the book. The voice for Vito Corleone in the movie was based on Frank Costello.

Pogo
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Imo:

There's no way its based upon the Columbo's. Erm, we're talking about joy-sey here folks. The Columbo's are the one family with zero operations in Jersey. Zero.

I've always gone with the Lucchese's.

There's two NY families with substantial Jersey operations. Lucchese and Genovese. The Genovese use a panel, the Lucchese's have stuck with a hirearchy (excluding temp 'street panels') Ie the Lucchese's have always had an official boss (Amuso/Crea etc).

Plus Leotardo always reminded me of Crea....
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

They are not based on any one family but it is clear that a lot of the storylines for the family were inspired by events in the Colombos.

Also the DeCavalcante's (which the Soprano family was based on) had pretty extensive ties with the Colombos. Probably more so than any of the other NY families. Also in the show we never actually see any Lupertazzi NJ based Crews. They are all NY based and mostly Brooklyn from the looks of it. The only time we here of any of perations in NJ is when they have a joint operation with the Sopranos.

Pogo
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Also the DeCavalcante's (which the Soprano family was based on) had pretty extensive ties with the Colombos. Probably more so than any of the other NY families.
Pogo
The Decav's had relations with the Columbo's?

Could you elaborate/explain please mate?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.