Info from San Jose informants 1960s

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Info from San Jose informants 1960s

Post by B. »

Some mafia members in Northern California provided info on the set-up of the families up there as well as their knowledge of the mafia in general.

Some of the info on mafia origin, recruitment process, inductions, and general set-up is redundant, as it is repeated by different informants across the country, but I find the small differences and the details worth sharing.

Origin, Recruitment, Induction
- One informant, a made member of Sicilian heritage in the San Jose family, tells the well-known story that the mafia originated during the French occupation of Sicily, with the Sicilian men becoming bitter toward the French for their treatment of Sicilian women. He says that Sicilians still hold a grudge against the French.

- Adding to the mafia origin story, he says that the French were "laid upon" and killed whenever they were identified by members of the mafia. He says the mafia would force people to prove they were Sicilian by pronouncing "garbanzo". If they pronounced it "chi-chi-ri", this proved they were Sicilian. If they pronounced it "qui-qui-ri", this meant they were non-Sicilian and "the appropriate action" would be taken. Note that he's not saying the mafia simply killed French soldiers, but also killed people of French heritage in Sicily. Anyone ever heard of this angle before?

- A second informant claimed the organization was started to protect themselves from land barons and autocratic rule. He says members remained close when they immigrated to the US and "continued their specific organization" in the US to make money. Not clear if by "specific organization", he means the mafia in general or as an extension of an individual Sicilian family.

- The first informant claims the purpose of the organization is "per auidare i deboli" (to help the weak).

- Says that when a member is proposed for membership, they identify all of his known relatives and check to see if they originated from Sicily and "if not, where". Checks are also made to see if the member's relatives have ever been arrested and if they cooperated.

- The second informant says that a recruit must be Sicilian in order to be made.

- Informant 2 pronounces "Cosa Nostra" with a silent "r" ("Cosa Nosta") and says this is because he is Sicilian and it is more common for mainland italians to use the "r". He has never heard it referred to as "La Cosa Nostra".

- The first informant says that "the usual age" for induction into the mafia in the USA is "17 and up", while it is "13 and up" in Sicily. This is very interesting because it matches Harry Riccobene's info exactly. Riccobene, like this informant, was of Sicilian heritage, made when he was 17, and mingled with early Sicilian mafia members who came to the US, so there does seem to be something to these numbers.

- Murder not a requirement for induction, but of course required when ordered.

- Members not allowed to be addicted to narcotics and any member who does is "doomed". The organization also generally frowns on "panderers" but has allowed some in.

- The usual "amico nostra" and "friend of mine" are used to introduce members and associates.

- During inductions, the finger is pricked and placed up to the bleeding wrist of a member. The wrist is used because it is considered part of the "growing tree" and the finger is "grafted to the growing tree". I don't remember hearing about the wrist being used or any kind of deeper symbolism beyond members becoming "blood brothers" except in this case.

- The usual saint card is burned while the recruit pledges allegiance to the organization. He is told that the organization comes before himself, his family, and religion.

- Strangely, the second informan t says he was told that a change in the rules had been instituted allowing them to talk to law enforcement "where practical". Members were told that despite this, the mafia still "make their own law". I can't imagine they told the guys they could actually provide info to LE like this guy was doing.

Organizational Set-up
- Second informant says that the smallest unit in the mafia is a "circle". He says that the "basic group in the lower organization next to a 'Circle' is called the 'Nostra Brigada'," which he says is a "group" headed by a "Capo". He says the "group" is typically called the "Family" and "may be the same as a 'Circle'." He says that the "Nostra Brigada" may be made up of members from any "logical area". He says that several "groups"/"Families" are controlled by a "head capo", also known as a "Don". He says that the number of groups under one "Don" aren't known and says it's determined internationally. Okay, this is kind of a headfuck. Given that this informant spoke in Sicilian dialect, I have to assume there was a communication issue.

- The same informant says a "group" / "family" is controlled by a "Council" of older members from various "groups" or "families". He says that a new council member is elected when another one dies or is deposed. A meeting of representatives from different "groups / "families" is held and someone is nominated for the vacant council position. Entire "group / families" can attend this meeting or simply send a reprsentative. Normally "reprsentative" means "boss" and it almost sounds like he's talking about the commission, but given all of the weird language related to this informant, I don't necessarily think that's what he means. If I'm interpreting him right, a "group / family" is not an actual mafia family, but a decina. Milwaukee had a similar council like this, and given the other similarities between Milwaukee and the Northern California families, I think they may have had a similar set-up.

- This same informant says there is a leader above the "Don" in different parts of the country and doesn't know how it is broken down geographically but says that Joe Bonanno is head of the "area that includes" the informant's organization. The Commission is made up of these regional leaders.

- Informant says that John Misuraca of the Profaci family was promoted to "district trouble shooter" with the same stature as Joe Bonanno.

- The first informant (San Jose-based) says that Joe Bonanno is the commission representative for "this area", but has no control over what goes on within the local groups. Joe Cerrito (San Jose boss), Jamez Lanza (SF boss), and other bosses from around the country have their own meetings to discuss policy and the informant believes this is along the lines of what Apalachin was supposed to be. He describes regional heads as "capo regiones".

- James Lanza and Joseph Cerrito stayed in Scranton before the Apalachin meeting.

- An informant says that a "Don" of a family can't "go back east" without Joe Bonanno's permission.

Other Info
- The second informant claimed that the mayor of Palermo visisted the US and stayed at the home of former San Jose captain Salvatore Marino. This was told to the source by Marino's son Angelo, also a member of the SJ family and a captain. Marino apparently claimed that this Palermo mayor was an "official" of the mafia internationally. Any ideas who this was?

- A different informant from the other two said that 40 Sicilians visited the USA ostensibly to promote Sicilian tourist attractions. They first visisted a group of other Sicilians in Chicago where they were greeted by Giovanni DiBella of the Madison family. DiBella provided the Sicilian visitors with contacts in the San Francisco area.

- When these Sicilians visited the CA Bay Area, they had lunch with Salvatore and Angelo Marino, Sal's brother Sam Marino, and SJ boss Joseph Cerrito. Angelo Marino attempted to put them in touch with Sicilians in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

- Angelo Marino was given a contract to kill a pizzeria owner named "John Ripepi". This contract supposedly came from "back east", as "Ripepi" allegedly shot a mafia member near Reggio Calabria. "Ripepi's" real name is Giuseppe Polimeni and he was not a mafia member. He took the name "Ripepi" from a man from his hometown in Italy, he said. His girlfriend was a Tripodi and Polimeni had contacts in the Rochester area.

- Polimeni had allegedly murdered Giuseppe Pratico. Polimeni cooperated with US authorities after the murder came to their attention and told them that he did not commit the murder, simply witnessed it. He described Pratico as a thief and robber from the Reggio area. Pratico stole a mule from a man and was killed in retaliation. Polimeni did not believe that Pratico had any mafia connections. There was information that Polimeni was connected to a bandit gang in Reggio area. His connections to Rochester included Macris and Moscatos.
Confederate
Full Patched

Re: Info from San Jose informants 1960s

Post by Confederate »

Very Interesting. Thanks for sharing B.
It sounded like the Informants were kind of mixing the Mafia in Sicily in with the American Mafia because some of what they said pertained to Sicily? Also, in America by 1960, there were obviously many, many American Mafia members who were mainland Southern Italians besides Sicilians.
Good article.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Confederate wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:29 am Very Interesting. Thanks for sharing B.
It sounded like the Informants were kind of mixing the Mafia in Sicily in with the American Mafia because some of what they said pertained to Sicily? Also, in America by 1960, there were obviously many, many American Mafia members who were mainland Southern Italians besides Sicilians.
Good article.
San Jose was almost entirely Sicilian I believe. I'm not sure about San Francisco, but some of those smaller families had few non-Sicilians during most of their existence. I don't believe either of these informants knew much firsthand about what goes on in Sicily. I take their information to mean that a small family like San Jose managed to stay Sicilian-centric and kept some of their unique practices, sort of like the Milwaukee and DeCav families.
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:48 pm - The second informant claimed that the mayor of Palermo visisted the US and stayed at the home of former San Jose captain Salvatore Marino. This was told to the source by Marino's son Angelo, also a member of the SJ family and a captain. Marino apparently claimed that this Palermo mayor was an "official" of the mafia internationally. Any ideas who this was?
Most likely Salvo Lima (mayor from May 1958 to January 1963 and from January 1965 – July 1968)

It could also have been Vito Ciancimino, but he wasn't mayor in the 60's, only for a very short while in the early 70's (November 1970 – April 1971)
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

lol yes on chi chi B..we make panneli's with the powder.
Geekgang666
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Geekgang666 »

Great post B
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

There is a record of a Salvatore Lima from Palermo leaving Italy to the U.S. on a ship in 1955, but the record lacks the detail necessary to confirm anything. Could have been him before he was mayor, or could have been another Salvatore Lima. Interestingly, there were a couple of La Fatas on the flight, and La Fata was an important name in SF history, but again, could be a coincidence. Doesn't say where they were headed, aside from landing in New York.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

thanks B!
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I find it interesting according to FBI files that former Rockford underboss Gaspare Calo, who moved back to Sicily in 1961, returned to the U.S. in 1964 to attend a meeting to get financial assistance for approximately 300 Sicilian mafia members incarcerated in Palermo. The bureau stated he arrived about August 1, 1964 in New York and was to meet with leaders in Buffalo, Chicago, Rockford, Springfield and San Francisco. I always wondered what leaders he was supposedly meeting and exactly on whose behalf.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

cavita wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:10 pm I find it interesting according to FBI files that former Rockford underboss Gaspare Calo, who moved back to Sicily in 1961, returned to the U.S. in 1964 to attend a meeting to get financial assistance for approximately 300 Sicilian mafia members incarcerated in Palermo. The bureau stated he arrived about August 1, 1964 in New York and was to meet with leaders in Buffalo, Chicago, Rockford, Springfield and San Francisco. I always wondered what leaders he was supposedly meeting and exactly on whose behalf.
He very well could have been with the same group of ~40 Sicilians who visited, as it was in the same time period. They supposedly came to promote Sicilian tourism, but met with internationally-connected mafia member DiBella in Chicago and top mafia leaders in San Jose. None of the ~40 Sicilians are ID'd as mafia members, or ID'd at all, but we can assume there were at least a few mafia members among them given who they met with. My guess is tourism wasn't their main agenda.

Sounds like Salvatore Lima is the most likely candidate for the mayor who visited. Thanks for the info, guys.
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

B. wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:40 am
Confederate wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:29 am Very Interesting. Thanks for sharing B.
Good article.
San Jose was almost entirely Sicilian I believe. I'm not sure about San Francisco, but some of those smaller families had few non-Sicilians during most of their existence. I don't believe either of these informants knew much firsthand about what goes on in Sicily. I take their information to mean that a small family like San Jose managed to stay Sicilian-centric and kept some of their unique practices, sort of like the Milwaukee and DeCav families.
What unique practices did/do the Milwaukee and decavalcante's have?

Thanks!
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Ozgoz wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:45 pm What unique practices did/do the Milwaukee and decavalcante's have?

Thanks!
The Milwaukee used what they called the "sagia" (Sicilian for "chair") which was a council that included the administration and captains. This same group met regularly and conducted these meetings entirely in Sicilian. They had some other language and practices that remind me of what we've heard of certain Sicilian families. The DeCavalcantes allowed Sicilian mafiosi to join their family and had their own twist on some of the usual mob rituals also. If you search for the Milwaukee and DeCavalcante threads that have been posted, there is a lot more detail in there.

On the subject of the "council" mentioned by the San Jose informant, I found info that confirms that this was a group within the SJ family similar to the "chair" mentioned above. Joseph Cerrito headed the council, with Charles Carbone, Stefano Zoccoli, plus captains Angelo Marino, and Emanuele Figlia rounding it. This council arbitrated disputes, including one in 1962 with Peter Misuraca. Misuraca had been overheard making threatening remarks about SJ member Frank Sorce. Along with the council and Misuraca, members Alex Camarata and Salvatore Costanza also attended to testify about Misuraca's remarks. Misuraca's brother John of the Profaci family was contacted, as he was the mediator for the region. Joe Bonanno was also notified as he was the Commission represented. The matter was somehow solved after Misuraca apologized.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

So the relatively small Milwaukee Family that was subservient to Chicago was entirely Sicilian? Does that include the Boss later on named Balistrieri?
Did they ever have any Italian Americans in the Family later on that were not Sicilian?
Was the Milwaukee Family connected to a particular Mafia Clan in Sicily? Were they part of the Pizza Connection?
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Confederate wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:00 am So the relatively small Milwaukee Family that was subservient to Chicago was entirely Sicilian? Does that include the Boss later on named Balistrieri?
Did they ever have any Italian Americans in the Family later on that were not Sicilian?
Was the Milwaukee Family connected to a particular Mafia Clan in Sicily? Were they part of the Pizza Connection?
I don't know about 100% Sicilian, but the membership was overwhelmingly from the Bagheria area of Sicily and they maintained contact with other Bagheresi around the US, probably Sicily as well. Aiello in Chicago and some of his people were from there, so after he was murdered a number of them fled to Wisconsin where their townsmen ran Milwaukee/Madison. Balistrieri was from the Bagheria area as well. Not sure if they had any non-Sicilians later, but by the late 1960s Balistrieri was running the family like a gang and many of the old world guys were elderly or dead.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:38 pm
Confederate wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:00 am So the relatively small Milwaukee Family that was subservient to Chicago was entirely Sicilian? Does that include the Boss later on named Balistrieri?
I don't know about 100% Sicilian, but the membership was overwhelmingly from the Bagheria area of Sicily and they maintained contact with other Bagheresi around the US, probably Sicily as well. Aiello in Chicago and some of his people were from there, so after he was murdered a number of them fled to Wisconsin where their townsmen ran Milwaukee/Madison. Balistrieri was from the Bagheria area as well. Not sure if they had any non-Sicilians later, but by the late 1960s Balistrieri was running the family like a gang and many of the old world guys were elderly or dead.
2c
1) Tampa was also said to have a council of elders, I've also heard "the chair" used for Detroit. Not sure what to make of it only to say it deserves more study.

2) The 1970's were very hard on the Mafia, within 15 years you had a large drop of of elder members nationally. The ranks were refilled with questionable results.