A complete List of rules for inducted members in la cosa nostra

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Makaveli
Straightened out

A complete List of rules for inducted members in la cosa nostra

Post by Makaveli »

Not sure this has been done before and/or detailed in a consolidated post.

Evidence suggest Induction ceremonies and protocol vary based on family / circumstance/ competence will those presiding the ceremony, as such the explanation of rules that govern membership of cosa nostra in the United States are not always detailed fully during each ritual .

We are quite aware of the mainstream list of regulations that govern membership of the mafia in the United States, however the more fringe rules may often go unnoticed.

Let’s compile a definitive list what is known as official governing rules.

- omertà.

- no dealing in narcotics

- never violate the wife or children of another member.

-
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: A complete List of rules for inducted members in la cosa nostra

Post by johnny_scootch »

3rd party introduction rule

Not allowed to lay hands on another member
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

No involvement in counterfeiting or stocks and bonds,

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:30 am No involvement in counterfeiting or stocks and bonds,

Pogo
Yeah Al D’arco, Anthony Arilotta, and Michael Franzese all said the “no counterfeiting” rule was made very clear at their making ceremonies.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Gravano and Nick Caramandi also talked about one or both of those rules.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Hired_Goonz
Straightened out

Post by Hired_Goonz »

When your captain calls you in, you have to go. No questions asked, no excuses.

One rule that I don't believe is universal that Caramandi said he was told at his making ceremony was in regards to borrowing money between members. You could borrow up to $999 from another member without informing your captain but for a dime and up you had to check in. I thought it was a good rule for a family and I'm surprised we haven't heard this from others.
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

Carmine " The Doctor" Lombardozzi was banging another made man's daughter and a complaint was made. Since Carmine was bringing in so muchmoney - from stocks and bond - he was given a pass and told to divorce his wife of 40 years and marry the daughter which he did. So at the end of the day, he got that pass becaus ehe brought so much money into the Gambino's so rules can be broken!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

- No lying to another made member. This is hammered home in Sicilian ceremonies but is a rule in the US too.

- No stealing / robbery. Again hammered home in Sicily but it's come up in the US. Valachi was told it by Maranzano for example. In Sicily some Families took it more seriously while others found ways to justify it / work around it.

- Must commit murder when asked by the Family. Other side is no murders without permission.

- Not told at inductions, but when a member is promoted there is supposed to be a witness and a promoted member must be re-introduced to members with his new rank by a third party for them to officially know it.

- No background in law enforcement. Used to be even having a close relative in law enforcement got you barred from membership.

- Discussion of official organizational matters requires "tying the circle" where they link arms or hands before discussing, then "break the circle" afterward.

- Someone can't be killed for a financial infraction.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:23 pm - Discussion of official organizational matters requires "tying the circle" where they link arms or hands before discussing, then "break the circle" afterward.

- Someone can't be killed for a financial infraction.
Interesting. I'd never even heard of the last two. Are these still observed? And what does the second one mean, more precisely? I'm guessing not things like skimming because people get killed for that.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The example Bill Bonanno used was specifically member Salvatore Mangiaracina who skimmed money from the Family's numbers operation and said the rule was he couldn't be killed for a financial infraction so he was shelved and forced to return to Italy. He was ultimately killed but it was for returning to NYC without permission.

Similar to Louis DiBono who was accused of stealing money from a high-ranking member but he was killed for refusing to come in when the boss called him to meet.

Guys have obviously been killed for financial reasons but traditionally at least they would need another justification or there were other issues going on.
ShotgunTheRifle
Straightened out

Post by ShotgunTheRifle »

B. wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:23 pm

- No background in law enforcement. Used to be even having a close relative in law enforcement got you barred from membership.

Crazy how they got loose with this one. Believe it was Lou Fazzini from Philly that said "They can't kill me, my brothers a cop" or something along those lines in the Stefanelli tapes. If I'm that circle, I'm taking that as some form of ratting. he should have been shelved immediately. I wouldn't talk around him I know that.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

I have heard from somewhere, perhaps Larry Mazza's autobiography or someone else's, that a made member isn't allowed to directly accuse another made member of lying at a sit-down. Has anyone heard any other examples of this?
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

Pennisi said he heard about the no stocks and bonds rule from old timers but that it doesn't apply anymore.
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

gohnjotti wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:16 am I have heard from somewhere, perhaps Larry Mazza's autobiography or someone else's, that a made member isn't allowed to directly accuse another made member of lying at a sit-down. Has anyone heard any other examples of this?
Yes, another one from Pennisi, you can't accuse a made man of lying in general.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

here are the rules written on a piece of paper by the boss Salvatore Lo Piccolo and seized by the police in 2007 (Sicily)

1) We cannot introduce ourselves to another friend of ours unless a third party does so

2) We don't look at our friends' wives

3) Don't go around with the cops

4) No taverns or clubs are frequented

5) You have the duty to be available to Cosa Nostra at all times. Even if the wife is about to give birth

6) Appointments are categorically respected

7) One must show respect to one's wife

8) When you are called to know something you will have to tell the truth

9) Money that belongs to others and other families cannot be appropriated

10) No affiliation for those who have a close relative in the various law enforcement agencies, or those who have sentimental betrayals in the family, or those who have terrible behavior and who do not care about moral values