Visiting Kansas City

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

lennert
Straightened out

Re: Visiting Kansas City

Post by lennert »

8C556887-67F2-4701-B2E4-47A361FF7FDD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lennert
Straightened out

Post by lennert »

Shipping manifest, 1883, so matching Oliva’s birth year. Not sure whether he means the city or region though. There were Oliva’s in several Avellino cities and villages.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I'm guided by Lennert and Tony on what I should post for Olivo. I can add a ? if we don't know for sure.

Here's where I'm at, just need to fill in the info, add photos and then the maps and what not.

Gotta ask, Lennert, I know you're more busier than 5 guys would you be down for a conference call with me, Antiliar, Tony and B? I know there's a time difference we can work with it.

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Actually Lennert, if you're around. I could use your help with these charts I'm trying to make. My goal is to redo the 63 charts as well as make charts for every group containing background information. But there's some people I just cannot find and need fresh eyes.

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The pie charts are an incredible resource. Nice to see it broken down by both village and province.

When this is all done I'd love to see a map of Sicily and Italy that shows where a given Family's heritage is concentrated. I think we'll see many/most Families were concentrated to certain regions even across provincial borders (i.e. KC had a lot of members from the area where the borders of Palermo, Trapani, and Agrigento meet).
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:46 pm The pie charts are an incredible resource. Nice to see it broken down by both village and province.

When this is all done I'd love to see a map of Sicily and Italy that shows where a given Family's heritage is concentrated. I think we'll see many/most Families were concentrated to certain regions even across provincial borders (i.e. KC had a lot of members from the area where the borders of Palermo, Trapani, and Agrigento meet).
That's the intention, you seen the maps I did on the Gambino 63 one.

I kinda want to focus the stats on
1 Origins (Map) - KC was majority Sicilian yet they had high ranking non-Sigs.
2 Location (where they lived) - (Map) - Unlike other Families, most of the KC membership lived in KC.
3 Occupations - Stat - It shows us where they fit into society. With KC, 74% of the family worked jobs, 26 did not. It's a different take than what's been put out there.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

So they were more of a true Kansas City Family rather than the more regional bodies we see elsewhere. Good observation.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:13 pm So they were more of a true Kansas City Family rather than the more regional bodies we see elsewhere. Good observation.
I don't know. I mean by the 1960's the commune factions were pretty well divided yet most of the members came from Sicily. Yet, some like Carl De Luna rose to become very prominent, he's in the 1-3% who were not Sicilian. This tells me that these Sicilians, when they make a non, he has some serious cred, maybe more so than other proposed members who are relatives and seen as loyal. But after everyone's made De Luna still rises. Aside from Murder Machine I've never heard of someone NOT getting a rank because of where they came from. If you're good enough for membership then you're good enough for a rank, be it in one year or thirty.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Oh I wasn't referring to heritage, I meant that most of the members lived in Kansas City proper like you said. Seems they were truly a "Kansas City" Family, whereas some US Families had members spread throughout a region around a certain US city. Be interesting to list/map out which Families were more city-centric and which were more regional in terms of residences and operations.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

lennert wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:50 pm Shipping manifest, 1883, so matching Oliva’s birth year. Not sure whether he means the city or region though. There were Oliva’s in several Avellino cities and villages.
Great find. I agree that it could be him. 1883 arrival in NYC, though it, unfortunately, doesn't state where in the US he was bound. I note also that the entries for other passengers seem to denote province rather than comune. From what I see, there was a Marco Oliva born in Atripalda, Avellino, around 1860, so that may very likely be him. His wife being a Luigia De Maio (married in KC in 1891) is also consistent with Avellino province, as De Maio is very common there and is also documented in Atripalda. I think CC could probably put Avellino province down for Joe Olivo with a "?" as I think it looks quite likely that his family came from there, but it's not 100% certain.

Plenty of Avelinnesi joined the mafia in the NE, of course, so it's interesting to see one likely case in KC.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Even though it looks like the chart is done, I found this today for anyone interested:

https://kchistory.org/collection/organized-crime-files

The KC library has mugshots and crime reports from different years. Seems like a great resource.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great link. Curious about the Joe Licavoli on there, says he was connected to Detroit. A Sam Licavoli is also listed. The infamous Licavolis had a brother and relatives in St. Louis but never heard of anyone in KC.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Missing photos-
Sam Carrollo
Charles Bengimina
Paul DiGiovanni
John Molle
Frank Tousa
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Also is there a pic of Civello close to 1963?
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Civella mug 1961
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.