Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by johnny_scootch »

Articles are going to get reposted fellas that's just the nature of the beast. I missed this back on page 59 because the links to it were French language and I make it a point to skip right over them because I don't parlez-vous francais. Looks like wiseguy enjoyed it so I'm sure a few other people who missed it back then will end up reading and enjoying it also, plus I had to dig down 4 pages to find this thread so maybe it'll spark a new discussion to boot.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

Ya it’s no big deal
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Lupara »

Wiseguy wrote:
Lupara wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:30 am
Wiseguy wrote:^ Very interesting article. Seems the internal fighting among the Italians has resulted in the Hells Angels becoming the top dogs for now. West End Gang gone but still some kind of Irish OC presence.
It's an outdated article.
I realize it came out in the later part of last year but I don't know if I'd consider that outdated.
If you've read the latest status report you'd know. Andrew Scoppa's death marked a significant change as he and his brother had been trying to usurp power away from the Sicilians. The so called horizontal structure was a result of that. The murders of the Scoppa brothers tipped the scales again in favor of the Sicilians.

I don't think the situation as it is now will remain. There are too many small groups that will compete without one leader, which also makes them vulnerable to outside influence.

And I've stated in the recent past, perhaps not much has changed at all. All the murders and mayhem may make it appear so for us outsiders, but it may be far more structured than it seems.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

funny as the lack of murders in the states makes lcn seem weak, while in canada is the opposite
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

scagghiuni wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:57 am funny as the lack of murders in the states makes lcn seem weak, while in canada is the opposite
Depends on how you look at it. While not denying the weakening of the American LCN, the lack of murders in the U.S., in part, has been a strategy to avoid law enforcement pressure. Yes, Canadian law enforcement is behind the curve compared to America, but the extreme violence in Canada in recent years shows a lack of stability. Were the Rizzutos (and Italian OC in general) stronger before or after the shooting started? In Mexico, which has had unsurpassed violence, all the fighting started with the initial crackdown in 2006 and the cartels fighting for reduced territory and smuggling routes that was being squeezed by the government.
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Something that never gets pointed out, too, is the decreasing murder rates in NYC as a whole. It would be hard to map a direct correlation given that only a small percentage of NYC murders were mafia-related even at their peak, but if you take a look at a graph of the NYC murder rates in the 1970s to early 1990s and compare them with the rate of mafia murders during those same years they follow a similar pattern.

The mafia may have made the decision to kill fewer people, but so did the entire city of NYC.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

B. wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm Something that never gets pointed out, too, is the decreasing murder rates in NYC as a whole. It would be hard to map a direct correlation given that only a small percentage of NYC murders were mafia-related even at their peak, but if you take a look at a graph of the NYC murder rates in the 1970s to early 1990s and compare them with the rate of mafia murders during those same years they follow a similar pattern.

The mafia may have made the decision to kill fewer people, but so did the entire city of NYC.
Giuliani administration (1994-2001)

Stop and Frisk (2003-2013)
Last edited by Wiseguy on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All roads lead to New York.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

I cant remember where I've read it, but excluding the recent attacks against the families of the bosses who talked, ( Bisconti? Or Colletti I forget...) the Sicilians were as quiet as MY as far as murders.

They are really all over them in Italy right now, they can barely meet....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

quiet as NY, why is spell check so irritating?
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

CabriniGreen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:16 pm I cant remember where I've read it, but excluding the recent attacks against the families of the bosses who talked, ( Bisconti? Or Colletti I forget...) the Sicilians were as quiet as MY as far as murders.

They are really all over them in Italy right now, they can barely meet....
yes, but it's a trend which also involves ndrangheta/camorra and even ordinary murders... organized crime killings went from 700 in 1991 to less than 100 in the latest years, ndrangheta and camorra kills very little compared to the past just as cosa nostra
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

It has not so much to do with decline as it has with not attracting LE's attention.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

Lupara wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:51 am It has not so much to do with decline as it has with not attracting LE's attention.
to commit murders is however sometimes a sign of strength and not instability, it is no coincidence that for example lcn and the sicilian mafia killed much more when they were at their peak
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

“To know and not to do, is not to know”
Griz23
Straightened out

Post by Griz23 »

Who is believed to in charge of the Rizzuto faction now?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Griz23 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:39 am Who is believed to in charge of the Rizzuto faction now?
Stefano Sollecito & Leonardo Rizzuto