Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Places of Origin

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:42 pm
Frank Calabrese Sr and Nicholas Calabrese were born in Chicago to James Calabrese (born in Chicago to parents from Mola di Bari, Bari) and Josephine/Sophie Canone (born in Chicago to parents from Omtemaggiore Belsito, Palermo).
As a follow-up, the Calabrese brother's mother Josephine Canone was born in Chicago to Raffaele Ignoffo Cannone of Monreale and Rosaria Minecci Millonzi of Montemaggiore Belsito. Some documents give Rosaria's birthplace as "Mariali" (a corruption of Murriali, the Sicilianu name for Monreale), like her husband, but this is false as she was definitely from Montemaggiore Belsito. Chicago had a large settlement of Monrealesi.

The Cannones lived at 1160 W Grand (Grand and Racine) in the Grand Ave Patch (Nick Nitti lived at the same corner at the time; in the same building as the Cannones also lived some Partipilos who may have been relatives of Joe Lombardi of the EP crew). When Raffaele was naturalized in 1924, one of the witnesses was Stefano Mesi of Montemaggiore Belsito, who lived at Grand and May. Worth noting that Luigi Mesi, the father of Sam and Phil Mesi, was also from Montemaggiore Belsito and those Mesis lived nearby at Grand and Noble, so some relation is likely.

James Calabrese (parents Francesco Calabrese and Rosa Buonorata, of Mola Di Bari) also grew up on Racine at Grand Ave. Nicola Nitti, Sr was one of the witnesses to Francesco Calabrese's 1922 naturalization. Nicola Nitti were from Triggiano, Bari, where the De Fronzos were from (their paternal grandmother was also a Nitti from Triggiano), as well as Pasquale Spilotro and the father of Joe Lombardi (EP Joe Lombardi). The father of Outfit associate Vito James Nitti was also from Triggiano. Nicola Nitti married Maria Catania in Chicago in 1910. She was born in 1892 in Louisiana to Salvatore Catania of Termini Imerese and Mattea Bivona of Contessa Entellina; the family moved to Chicago after and lived on Ohio St in the Grand Ave Patch.

Nicola and Maria's son Nick Nitti, Jr was the famous Nick Nitti of the travel agency, who was observed traveling to Italy in the '60s with Accardo, Genovese member Gaetano "Tony Goebbels" Ricci, and Paul Ricca's sister Emily De Lucia. I personally suspect that the Nitti Travel Agency may have been an important conduit that gave legal cover to some of Chicago's connections back to Italy. This may be relevant considering that in later decades the Sacra Corona Unita was operating in Chicago with the Outfit and partnered with the EP crew. Nick Nitti, Jr was also the grandfather of reputed current Outfit member Jason Nitti. His son Nick Nitti (mother was Yolanda Micaletti; grew up on Grand Ave, parents from Napoli and Catania province, Sicily) married Rosa Cerone (they, in turn, had another son named Nick Nitti, restauranteur and brother of Jason Nitti). Rosa Cerone's grandfather, Luigi Cerone, was from Muro Lucano, Potenza, and likely related to Jackie Cerone's father Giovanni Cerone. In possible relation to Nick Nitti, Jr having close ties to Italy, the FBI specifically identified Jack Cerone, Jr as the pointman between the Chicago Outfit and Italian mafia affiliates in Chicago in the 80s/90s.

Speaking of Jack P Cerone Jr, longtime labor attorney. Jack Jr was the owner of II Jack's, an Outfit-connected restaurant at Grand and Wood that was reportedly Willie Messino's hangout (I used to live around the corner as a kid; even my mother always said that place was mobbed up). Jack Jr took sole control of II Jack's after buying out his former partner George Colucci (they were paesani, as the Coluccis were also from Potenza). In 2012, Jack Jr filed suit against the State of Illinois after he was hit with back tax penalties on II Jacks. Jack Jr was represented in the case by the Law Office of Anthony Pinelli. Tony Pinelli, Jr, who died in 2019, was, naturally, the son of Tony Pinelli and Louise DeGeorge.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Eugene Joseph Albano, operator of Albano Bakery on North Ave in Elmwood Park and close associate of Paul Ricca and Guido DeChiaro, was born in 1929 in Chicago to Giuseppe Albano and Emilia Sarno. Giuseppe was from Bracigliano, Salerno, while Emilia was born in Chicago to parents from Bracigliano. Her mother was an Amabile, and the parents of Joe Shine Amabile were also from Ricigliano; very likely they were related. The Albanos lived near Oakley and Harrison in the Western part of the Taylor St Patch. The Albanos operated the original Albano Bakery at Taylor and Western for decades and opened the second location in Elmwood Park in the 1950s. Eugene Albano's sister Fortuna/Frieda Albano married Anthony Bombacino, brother of Louie Bombacino. I believe that Albano Bakery in Elmwood Park was originally run by Anthony Bombacino and Frieda Albano, and subsequently taken over by Eugene (possibly after Anthony Bombacino died in 1964). Under Eugene, the bakery was a well-known hangout for Outfit figures like Ricca and DeChiaro.

As stated, it's very likely that Albano was related to Joe Amabile (some old info on Albano Bakery stated that Eugene Albano had a cousin who was a member of the mob; that may well have been Joe Shine). A more recent connection is Mike Sarno. Again, Eugene's mother was Emilia Sarno. I have Mike Sarno's father as Michael John Sarno of Cicero. Mike, Sr was the son of Salvatore Sarno and Rosa Albano of Bracigliano, who settled in Cicero after arriving in Chicago in the 1920s. So, very possible that Mike Sarno, Sr was a cousin of Eugene Albano on both sides of their families. But that's only part of it. Fat Mike's mother was Concetta Aiello (don't get excited -- no relation), born in Chicago to Francesco Aiello of Rende, Cosenza province, and Luigia Albano, of Bracigiliano and the older sister of Emilia Sarno, Eugene Albano's mother.

Also worth noting, given Fat Mike's connection to Solly D, that although the DeLaurentis family goes back to Acerra, Solly D's maternal grandfather was Bartolomeo Moccio, of Bracigliano. Like Fat Mike's maternal grandfather, Solly D's maternal grandmother's ancestry was from Rende, Cosenza. To further highlight the continuing endogamy of Outfit-connected families, Nicole Sarno is married to Sam Inendino, niece and nephew of Fat Mike and Jimmy I, respectively. Sam and Nicole Inendino are reportedly close to Filippo "Gigi" and Andrea "Andy" Rovito; they may have some partnership in one of the Capri restaurants or something (not sure). Unsurprising that they would have ties to the Rovitos, as the Rovitos settled in Cicero initially after arriving from Cosenza province, Calabria in the 1970s.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:28 pm James V Allegretti/Vincenzo Policheri was born 1905 in Oliveto Citra, Salerno, Campania (near to both Ricigliano and Senerchia) to Domenico Policheri and Lucia Rio. Younger brother Benjamin "Jimmy" Policheri was born in Chicago in 1916.

Francesco Rio was born 1895 in Oliveto Citra, Salerno, Campania to Antonio Rio and Rosa Maria Costa. I haven't been able to establish a direct familial link to Jimmy Allegretti's mother, but I think it's likely that they were cousins of some sort.
As an update, the original spelling of the "Policheri" surname was actually Palcera. After arriving in Chicago, the Palceras lived at Forquer (Arthington) and Halsted in the Taylor St Patch. This makes sense, as there were not many Napolitani on the Near North Side, where Allegretti was later active. The Taylor St location also could further suggest that mother Lucia Rio was connected to Frank Rio.

By 1940, Jimmy Allegretti was living on Rush St and working as a tavern operator. Not sure exactly why "the Monk" decided to take Allegretti as his alias. Other Allegrettis in Chicago that I've seen were from Trivigno, Potenza. For example, the family of Albie Vena's now deceased brother-in-law Eddie Allegretti, who married Angeline Vena, were "Trivies" with no apparent connection to Jimmy the Monk. Given Albie Vena's early association with the Northside crew, I had thought that he might have a family connection there based on his BIL's surname, but seems to just be a coincidence.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Great finds, Tony
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:10 pm Great finds, Tony
Thanks, man. I think the links to Bracigliano are important, doubly so given what Cascio found with Springfield, MA. Bracigliano I believe was a stronghold of the Camorra in the Naples hinterland, along with towns like Acerra, Marigliano, Ottaviano, Angri.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I have Bobby Salerno born as Carmen Robert Salerna [sic] in 1934 in Chicago to Alessandro "Alex" Salerno and Mary Conforti. Alessandro was from Castrolibero, Cosenza province, and worked as a railroad foreman living in the Taylor St Patch. Mary Conforti was born in Chicago to Cosentino parents from either Castrolibero or the neighboring comune of Marano Marchesato (the Bastones, Pranno, the Covellis, the Granatas, and Albie Vena all have ancestry from this area); she married Alessandro in 1919. When Alessandro was naturalized in 1925, one of the witnesses was "Aleck" Ponzio, i.e. Alessandro Ponzio, the father of Paul Ricca's son-in-law Ben Ponzio. The Ponzios were also from Castrolibero. Bobby Salerno grew up on Peoria St just south of Taylor (since demolished for the UIC Science and Engineering South building).

Clearly, Bobby's son Alexander Salerno was named after his grandfather. Alexander Salerno is a notoriously Outfit-linked defense attorney who has represented figures such as Salvatore Gammicchia, Mike Spano, Buddy Ciotti, Mickey Marcello, Mike Sarno, Sal Cataudella, Sam Volpendesto, Gangster Disciples leader Gregory Shell, and his own father.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Good stuff. It's often more challenging to dig into the ancestry of living people since a lot of records only become available after death.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:41 pm Good stuff. It's often more challenging to dig into the ancestry of living people since a lot of records only become available after death.
Indeed, though it helps of course that some of these guys have a public footprint due to family and career. Bobby Salerno was well-known as a boxer and trainer before it became public knowledge in subsequent years that he was affiliated with the mafia.

One of the things that really comes out in doing these analyses is that the guys who become affiliated with the Outfit (meaning the Italians, at least), are not simply random street thugs who come to the attention of the organization solely through criminal acumen. In many cases they are clearly from families who are known quantities to the organization, linked to them via blood, marriage, paesani, and community ties. One doesn’t see immediately that a guy like Bobby Salerno has these ties, but then you see that his family was from a part of Calabria that other Outfit guys go back to and that due to that paesani context, his family was linked to Paul Ricca’s in-laws. I know there are those out there who might not think that it matters who some tough guy’s grandparents were or who his family intermarried with, but it very much mattered and still does.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Mike Talarico came up recently on the other Chicago thread. It has been stated that Angelo LaPietra was his uncle and this is true, through marriage. Michael Talarico's parents were Saverio Talarico and Mathilda Imparato. Saverio was born in Chicago to Alfonso Talarico and Santa Gesuida of San Pietro Magisano, one of a cluster of villages in Catanzaro province, including Taverna and Sorbo San Basile, that have had a significant presence in the Bridgeport area. Mathilda was born in Chicago to Angelo Imparato of Campagna, Salerno province and Isabella D'Onofrio of Pisticci, Matera, Basicliata (the Caifanos' mother was also from Pisticci). Both families lived in Armour Square. Mathilda's older sister Mildred "Millie" Talarico married Angelo LaPietra. Their daughter Joann LaPietra married Salvatore LaScola. The LaScolas were from Termini Imerese and also intermarried with the Catuaras. I believe that Salvatore's brother was the Outfit associate Joseph LaScola who owned Joey's Beef Stand in Armour Square and told police in the 1980s that he acted as a courier between Louie Eboli and Frank Schweihs. Joann and Salvatore's daughter Nancy LaScola married Kurt Calabrese. Their other daughter JoAnn LaScola married Rosario Munizza. The Munizzas were among a contingent of immigrants from Sorbo San Basile, Catanzaro, who settled in the Bridgeport area from the 1960s-80s. Calabrese zips Aldo Fratto and the Infelise brothers, who were operating in Bridgeport in the 1980s, were also arrivals from Sorbo San Basile.

Mike Talarico was, of course, the owner of Punchinello, well-known restaurant and "Sinatra Bar" (motto: "All Frank, All the Time") on 31st St in Armour Square. Mike Talarico's brother Alphonse "Al" Talarico is a well-known lawyer in Chicago. He represented Frank Calabrese during some real estate deals in the 1980s. In 2007, Talarico was banned from the FS trial courtroom after being caught passing Frank contraband soppressat' (can't expect a guy like Calabrese to be eating bologna sandwiches and shit). Al Talarico also represented CPD cop James "Jimmy Bags" Bagnola when he was fired by CPD for drug possession. James Bagnola's mother was another Imparato sister, so he was Talarico's cousin and Angelo's nephew by marriage as well. His father Anthony Bagnola was a brother of the Joseph James Bagnola who was on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list in the 1950s as a co-suspect with Tony Maenza in the slaying of a car dealer in New Orleans.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:32 pm Mike Talarico came up recently on the other Chicago thread. It has been stated that Angelo LaPietra was his uncle and this is true, through marriage. Michael Talarico's parents were Saverio Talarico and Mathilda Imparato. Saverio was born in Chicago to Alfonso Talarico and Santa Gesuida of San Pietro Magisano, one of a cluster of villages in Catanzaro province, including Taverna and Sorbo San Basile, that have had a significant presence in the Bridgeport area. Mathilda was born in Chicago to Angelo Imparato of Campagna, Salerno province and Isabella D'Onofrio of Pisticci, Matera, Basicliata (the Caifanos' mother was also from Pisticci). Both families lived in Armour Square. Mathilda's older sister Mildred "Millie" Talarico married Angelo LaPietra. Their daughter Joann LaPietra married Salvatore LaScola. The LaScolas were from Termini Imerese and also intermarried with the Catuaras. I believe that Salvatore's brother was the Outfit associate Joseph LaScola who owned Joey's Beef Stand in Armour Square and told police in the 1980s that he acted as a courier between Louie Eboli and Frank Schweihs. Joann and Salvatore's daughter Nancy LaScola married Kurt Calabrese. Their other daughter JoAnn LaScola married Rosario Munizza. The Munizzas were among a contingent of immigrants from Sorbo San Basile, Catanzaro, who settled in the Bridgeport area from the 1960s-80s. Calabrese zips Aldo Fratto and the Infelise brothers, who were operating in Bridgeport in the 1980s, were also arrivals from Sorbo San Basile.

Mike Talarico was, of course, the owner of Punchinello, well-known restaurant and "Sinatra Bar" (motto: "All Frank, All the Time") on 31st St in Armour Square. Mike Talarico's brother Alphonse "Al" Talarico is a well-known lawyer in Chicago. He represented Frank Calabrese during some real estate deals in the 1980s. In 2007, Talarico was banned from the FS trial courtroom after being caught passing Frank contraband soppressat' (can't expect a guy like Calabrese to be eating bologna sandwiches and shit). Al Talarico also represented CPD cop James "Jimmy Bags" Bagnola when he was fired by CPD for drug possession. James Bagnola's mother was another Imparato sister, so he was Talarico's cousin and Angelo's nephew by marriage as well. His father Anthony Bagnola was a brother of the Joseph James Bagnola who was on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list in the 1950s as a co-suspect with Tony Maenza in the slaying of a car dealer in New Orleans.
Your ancestry knowledge is unmatched. One question I always had maybe you have an idea on this. Frank calabrese was Nick ferriola uncle and Frank and joe ferriola literally lived 5 houses from each other but from all my research I never found much of a connection between the two or them being close. Is there some other connection or something I haven’t seen? Like for instance solly d was dino mArino godfather I could see that cuz they were close. Frank sr and joe I can’t figure out. I asked jr but he won’t talk about Nick ferriola
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Pete wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:10 pm
PolackTony wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:32 pm Mike Talarico came up recently on the other Chicago thread. It has been stated that Angelo LaPietra was his uncle and this is true, through marriage. Michael Talarico's parents were Saverio Talarico and Mathilda Imparato. Saverio was born in Chicago to Alfonso Talarico and Santa Gesuida of San Pietro Magisano, one of a cluster of villages in Catanzaro province, including Taverna and Sorbo San Basile, that have had a significant presence in the Bridgeport area. Mathilda was born in Chicago to Angelo Imparato of Campagna, Salerno province and Isabella D'Onofrio of Pisticci, Matera, Basicliata (the Caifanos' mother was also from Pisticci). Both families lived in Armour Square. Mathilda's older sister Mildred "Millie" Talarico married Angelo LaPietra. Their daughter Joann LaPietra married Salvatore LaScola. The LaScolas were from Termini Imerese and also intermarried with the Catuaras. I believe that Salvatore's brother was the Outfit associate Joseph LaScola who owned Joey's Beef Stand in Armour Square and told police in the 1980s that he acted as a courier between Louie Eboli and Frank Schweihs. Joann and Salvatore's daughter Nancy LaScola married Kurt Calabrese. Their other daughter JoAnn LaScola married Rosario Munizza. The Munizzas were among a contingent of immigrants from Sorbo San Basile, Catanzaro, who settled in the Bridgeport area from the 1960s-80s. Calabrese zips Aldo Fratto and the Infelise brothers, who were operating in Bridgeport in the 1980s, were also arrivals from Sorbo San Basile.

Your ancestry knowledge is unmatched. One question I always had maybe you have an idea on this. Frank calabrese was Nick ferriola uncle and Frank and joe ferriola literally lived 5 houses from each other but from all my research I never found much of a connection between the two or them being close. Is there some other connection or something I haven’t seen? Like for instance solly d was dino mArino godfather I could see that cuz they were close. Frank sr and joe I can’t figure out. I asked jr but he won’t talk about Nick ferriola
Thanks for the kind words, Pete. So far as I know, Nick Ferriola is not related by blood or marriage to the Calabreses. Neither Joe Ferriola nor Nick's mother Julia Viggiano (born in Chicago. Father's family from Potenza province, mother's maiden name was Hale. So Nick Ferriola would be 1/4 non-Ital) seemed to have had any relation to Frank Calabrese. My understanding, however, is that Frank was Nick Ferriola's godfather. Probably referred to him as "uncle" the way that many Italian families call a non-relative close to the family "zio". Frank and Joe were therefore cumpari; I doubt that it was accidental that they wound up living on the same block in Oak Brook like that. Not sure what their initial connection was, as they grew up in different neighborhoods, so I'm guessing that their connection came through Outfit circles.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:40 pm
Pete wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Pete. So far as I know, Nick Ferriola is not related by blood or marriage to the Calabreses. Neither Joe Ferriola nor Nick's mother Julia Viggiano (born in Chicago. Father's family from Potenza province, mother's maiden name was Hale. So Nick Ferriola would be 1/4 non-Ital) seemed to have had any relation to Frank Calabrese. My understanding, however, is that Frank was Nick Ferriola's godfather. Probably referred to him as "uncle" the way that many Italian families call a non-relative close to the family "zio". Frank and Joe were therefore cumpari; I doubt that it was accidental that they wound up living on the same block in Oak Brook like that. Not sure what their initial connection was, as they grew up in different neighborhoods, so I'm guessing that their connection came through Outfit circles.
Agreed it just seems from all my research ferriola was close with rocky, carlisi, and marcello, where frank sr was close with the Chinatown guys. The only time I’m aware of them being together was the double murder they committed in cicero wirh Johnny apes, Nick calabrese etc. suppose it could be a situation where after joe died Frank sr took him under his wing and referred to him as godfather at that point. Keep in mind that neighborhood also had aiuppa, aleman, Louie eboli, they all lived right by each other.
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great resource on Valledolmo:
http://www.valledolmo-genealogy.org/index.html

Interestingly the Dispenza name shows up on the D'Andrea family tree PDF:
http://www.valledolmo-genealogy.org/upl ... ees_v2.pdf

- The names without surnames are D'Andreas.

- Hard to make sense of how most of the names are connected but seems the researcher thought they share lineage.

- Tony D'Andrea isn't listed but his parents and siblings are listed near the bottom. Tony does however appear in the 1872 birth index on the site.

- Top right is where the Dispenza name shows up. Ciro Dispenza married an Antonina D'Andrea in the 18th century.

Could be a coincidence but Ciminna neighbors Valledolmo and D'Andrea was close to Rosario Dispenza. The surname shows up in both places.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

John Adolph Formusa was born in 1898 in Chicago to Pietro Formusa and Natale "Anna" Galluzzo of Termini Imerese (the "Formosa" spelling was used on several documents, but Formusa is the original spelling in Sicily). The family lived at Halsted and Erie, near where fellow Termitani the Morici brothers were based at Milwaukee and Halsted. By 1910, they lived at Grand and Peoria (where Tony Capezio lived in 1910), and by 1920 on Grand near Ada (across the street from the Accardos), with Johnny living in a different apartment in the same building. Formusa already had a connection to NW Indiana, as he married his first wife Marie in Lake County in 1918. In 1940, he maintained two addresses: one in Gary, IN, with his second wife Louise (married in Lake County, IN, in 1931) and another at an apartment in a building on Diversey at Clark in Lakeview, on the Northside of Chicago, where he stated that he was married but was the sole occupant. In 1940, Formusa was convicted on Federal narcotics charges in Indiana and sentenced to 2 years in Leavenworth. After his release, he stated that he was living with his parents at Latrobe and Augusta in West Humboldt Park on his WW2 draft card, but in 1950 was listed as living back in Gary with his wife. While it seems that Formusa preceded Tony Pinelli as "boss" of NW IN (whether as formal capodecina or just the guy in charge of that territory), it also seems that he was again in charge of Gary by the late 1950s, whether in fact or acting for Pinelli in CA, as the deputy sheriff of Porter County, IN informed the Senate Rackets Subcommittee in 1959 that Gaetano Morgano had told him that Formusa was his boss. FBI intel from the early 1960s stated that Formosa was the prostitution "kingpin" of Indiana and that over him was Giancana, further suggesting that Formusa may have been a captain. At this time, Formusa was on a wiretap at the Armory Lounge meeting with Giancana and Fifi Buccieri, discussing connections to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis, Jr. FBI intel stated that an informant believed that Formusa was acting as manager of the Cal-Neva Lodge in Reno, NV, and meeting with Sinatra at his office there. Other intel stated that Formusa was personally close to both Sinatra and Paul D'Amato and associated with them in Vegas. Formusa was seen meeting with Giancana at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami and was also seen in Miami in the company of Genovese captain "Charlie the Blade" Tourine in the same city. In 1962, Formusa was hospitalized in a coma for several weeks following a stroke that he suffered while attending Manny Skar's Sahara Inn in West Suburban Schiller Park. It seems that Formosa's health remained poor after this and he died in 1972.

Interesting to note that Formusa may have had personal connections to Capezio and Accardo, given where he grew up. The Formusas seem to have been a rather important family, as Johnny's older brother Anthony became a physician in 1915. A likely relative was Vincenzo Formusa, also of Termini, who lived nearby at Erie and May. Vincenzo Formusa, who died in 1942, was a wealthy wholesale grocer (hmmm), one-time head of the Italian Chamber of Commerce of Chicago, Cavaliere of the Italian Crown, and founding executive committee member of the White Hand Society in 1907. Vincenzo's brother Giuseppe Formusa was a Monsignor in the church in Termini for decades. As their father was also named Pietro Formusa (and Formusa is not a terribly common surname in Termini), it's possible that they were uncles of Johnny Formusa's father Pietro.

Another thing to consider is that Pinelli, Gaetano Morgano, and Formusa were all Sicilians from the Northside of Chicago who wound up running Gary. One wonders if these guys had deeper mafia links to Gary, or if the Chicago admin simply put them in charge of Gary or gave it to them as a concession of sorts. I imagine that there's more to this story, as it's not an intuitive leap from the Northside of the city to Gary (one would expect Heights guys if anything).
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:03 am Great resource on Valledolmo:
http://www.valledolmo-genealogy.org/index.html

Interestingly the Dispenza name shows up on the D'Andrea family tree PDF:
http://www.valledolmo-genealogy.org/upl ... ees_v2.pdf

- The names without surnames are D'Andreas.

- Hard to make sense of how most of the names are connected but seems the researcher thought they share lineage.

- Tony D'Andrea isn't listed but his parents and siblings are listed near the bottom. Tony does however appear in the 1872 birth index on the site.

- Top right is where the Dispenza name shows up. Ciro Dispenza married an Antonina D'Andrea in the 18th century.

Could be a coincidence but Ciminna neighbors Valledolmo and D'Andrea was close to Rosario Dispenza. The surname shows up in both places.
Great find. Given the proximity of Valledolmo to Ciminna, Caccamo, and Termini, my assumption is that this played a major role in contextualizing D’Andrea’s rise in Chicago. We don’t, obviously, see other Valledolmesi involved in Chicago, explicable by the fact that they didn’t really have a community there. Valledolmo’s proximity and likely mafia links on the other side to Vallelunga, Mussomeli, would’ve played a key role in both chain migration and mafia connections in Western NY, while in Chicago the links to the Termini triangle area were going to be more salient. Valledolmo was a major agricultural production area, and I believe that it was probably linked commercially to Termini via the wheat export market. Valledolmo also sat astride an extended area of intense brigand activity that spanned Eastern Palermo and Caltanissetta provinces, which I think was another axis that connected mafia families across this region.

Interesting also to consider D’Andrea’s clerical career in relation to the area around Valledolmo. In his book on the history of the mafia in Villalba, Michele Pantaleo noted that the core leadership group of the Villalba mafia around Vizzini was anchored in religious brotherhoods deeply connected to the parish church. Along with peasant cooperatives (also very important in Valledolmo), the mafia in this area likely exerted significant social power through lay religious institutions and thus possibly the clergy as well. My understanding is that the mafia in Valledolmo was intimately involved in communal electoral politics, also a potential context for D’Andrea’s political career in Chicago.