Castellammare Post-WWII

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Re: Castellammare Post-WWII

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:19 pm
CabriniGreen wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:56 am
B. wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:59 pm
CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:53 pm Did you guys touch on Scarcella? From Canada?
Asked about Scarcella -- no clue, isn't even familiar with Scarcella as a Castellammarese surname or how he'd fit in.

Maybe it's a bullshit rumor that he's Castellemare. He always seemed like an independent to me....
Peter Scarcella was born in CDG on this day (July 12) in 1950. He arrived in North America at the age of 9 -- see https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/ ... 7347bc2424.

Not until I read Peter Edwards and Luis Horacio Nájera’s October 2021 book, The Wolfpack, did I learn that Scarcella knew both Cesare Bonventre and Baldo Amato.
Correction: The book states only that Scarcella knew Bonventre — from ch. 8, “Greed”:

Scarcella soldiered on in [Paul Volpe’s] absence, cultivating connections that included Cesare “the Tall Guy” Bonventre, a Brooklyn loan shark and drug smuggler with the Bonanno crime family who was also from Castellammare del Golfo.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

jimmyb wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:05 pm Here are a few more details about Stefano Leale. I mentioned him in my first post for this thread. He was significant Mafioso from Alcamo. He was gunned down in 1959, Palermo. I have in my notes that Nino Buccellato was one of the suspected shooters.

There's some good info on the murder in Panteleone's book: "He was killed right in the center of town, in the Via Torino, one of the beautiful, wide running streets running between Via Maqueda and Via Roma. His killers traveled to the spot on three old bicycles, one of which was provided with a baker's pannier in which firearms were hidden."

Two saw-offed shotguns and numerous shells were discarded at the scene. Apparently he survived some prior assassination attempts. Leale was protected by Rimi and on good terms with the Grecos, but apparently that came to end. I'll keep digging to figure out what happened.
Jimmy,

Have you ever come across the name Tony Leale in your research?

His aliases when he was based in Toronto, Canada — and presumably when he travelled throughout Ontario (maybe in Western New York too if he travelled there?) — were Leala, Cici, Frank Cici, and Antonio Barboni. This Leale was murdered June 4, 1922 on a road near what was then known as the Oakville Golf Course in Oakville, Ontario (25 mi. from Toronto).

Writing about Leale, James Dubro and Robin Rowland indicate in their book about the Calabrian-Canadian independent bootlegger Rocco Perri that Leale was “originally from Alcamo, Sicily, near Castellamare [sic].” Next sentence of the same paragraph: “Leale was later reported to be a ‘blood relative’ of the Scaroni family and it was known that he had worked for the Scaronis under the name of ‘Cici.’ ” (King of the Mob, pp. 95, 98n)

I would say that “Sciarrone” is likely the correct spelling of the surname of a number of Calabrians, related by blood, who were involved in a not-so-cut-and-dried Calabrian–Sicilian crime war in Ontario at the time. Canadian mob researcher Jerry Prager traces the ancestry of the Sciarrones (he also writes “Sciarronis” occasionally) as being from San Giorgio Morgeto, a Calabrian mafia stronghold in Reggio from where many of the inhabitants of Guelph, Ontario descend. As an aside, Guelph was considered the territory of the Zerilli Family of Detroit — at least per deceased poster †Pierre de Champlain in one of his books covering the 1970s.

I haven’t checked for myself the ancestry of this Leale and the Sciarrones yet. I’m almost certain Dubro and Rowland write what the newspapers reported — Prager likely did too, but he would have dug into the Sciarrones’ ancestry, as he’s an expert about the San Giorgio Morgeto townspeople who immigrated to Guelph.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Alcamo would fit with Detroit if they had people in Guelph.

Back to Nino Mistretta, articles about the Domingo case said Mistretta is from Alcamo. Since he's Baldo Amato's cousin could mean part of Amato's family is originally from Alcamo. Maybe why the Amato name doesn't surface much in CDG family trees. The Montagnas are another who are Alcamese and Castellammarese.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Jimmy and anyone -- did you know Stefano Magaddino's granddaughter wrote a book in 2016? Reading what's available on Amazon it doesn't look bad. I like some of the books written by the relatives even if they don't have direct knowledge in the internal mafia stuff (i.e. the Smaldone book).

She mentions that her great-grandfather Giovanni Magaddino was a mafioso in CDG and the back cover bills Stefano as an "underworld leader" so she's not denying that aspect. Her maiden name was LaDuca and she married a Rangatore so she stayed within Buffalo Family circles.

She mentions that Stefano and his brother Gaspare both married women named Caroddo. Is that a name you've come across? It brought to mind the current Bonanno guy Giovanni Carollo who visited CDG which would sound phonetically similar but maybe Caroddo is another CDG name.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:56 pm Alcamo would fit with Detroit if they had people in Guelph.

Back to Nino Mistretta, articles about the Domingo case said Mistretta is from Alcamo. Since he's Baldo Amato's cousin could mean part of Amato's family is originally from Alcamo. Maybe why the Amato name doesn't surface much in CDG family trees. The Montagnas are another who are Alcamese and Castellammarese.
FWIW, I think there’s a good chance that you’re on the right track with Amato and Àlcamo. The Amato surname is more common by an order of magnitude in Àlcamo as compared to CDG, from what I can tell.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:19 pm
CabriniGreen wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:56 am
B. wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:59 pm
CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:53 pm Did you guys touch on Scarcella? From Canada?
Asked about Scarcella -- no clue, isn't even familiar with Scarcella as a Castellammarese surname or how he'd fit in.

Maybe it's a bullshit rumor that he's Castellemare. He always seemed like an independent to me....
Peter Scarcella was born in CDG on this day (July 12) in 1950. He arrived in North America at the age of 9 -- see https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/ ... 7347bc2424.

Not until I read Peter Edwards and Luis Horacio Nájera’s October 2021 book, The Wolfpack, did I learn that Scarcella knew both Cesare Bonventre and Baldo Amato.
Great catch Anti. And that's my fault for not remembering that from the Wolfpack book.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
No worries. No need to beat yourself up, especially because I asserted that, according to the book, Scarcella knew both guys when in fact the book states he knew only Bonventre.
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

antimafia wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:50 pm
jimmyb wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:05 pm Here are a few more details about Stefano Leale. I mentioned him in my first post for this thread. He was significant Mafioso from Alcamo. He was gunned down in 1959, Palermo. I have in my notes that Nino Buccellato was one of the suspected shooters.

There's some good info on the murder in Panteleone's book: "He was killed right in the center of town, in the Via Torino, one of the beautiful, wide running streets running between Via Maqueda and Via Roma. His killers traveled to the spot on three old bicycles, one of which was provided with a baker's pannier in which firearms were hidden."

Two saw-offed shotguns and numerous shells were discarded at the scene. Apparently he survived some prior assassination attempts. Leale was protected by Rimi and on good terms with the Grecos, but apparently that came to end. I'll keep digging to figure out what happened.
Jimmy,

Have you ever come across the name Tony Leale in your research?

His aliases when he was based in Toronto, Canada — and presumably when he travelled throughout Ontario (maybe in Western New York too if he travelled there?) — were Leala, Cici, Frank Cici, and Antonio Barboni. This Leale was murdered June 4, 1922 on a road near what was then known as the Oakville Golf Course in Oakville, Ontario (25 mi. from Toronto).

Writing about Leale, James Dubro and Robin Rowland indicate in their book about the Calabrian-Canadian independent bootlegger Rocco Perri that Leale was “originally from Alcamo, Sicily, near Castellamare [sic].” Next sentence of the same paragraph: “Leale was later reported to be a ‘blood relative’ of the Scaroni family and it was known that he had worked for the Scaronis under the name of ‘Cici.’ ” (King of the Mob, pp. 95, 98n)

I would say that “Sciarrone” is likely the correct spelling of the surname of a number of Calabrians, related by blood, who were involved in a not-so-cut-and-dried Calabrian–Sicilian crime war in Ontario at the time. Canadian mob researcher Jerry Prager traces the ancestry of the Sciarrones (he also writes “Sciarronis” occasionally) as being from San Giorgio Morgeto, a Calabrian mafia stronghold in Reggio from where many of the inhabitants of Guelph, Ontario descend. As an aside, Guelph was considered the territory of the Zerilli Family of Detroit — at least per deceased poster †Pierre de Champlain in one of his books covering the 1970s.

I haven’t checked for myself the ancestry of this Leale and the Sciarrones yet. I’m almost certain Dubro and Rowland write what the newspapers reported — Prager likely did too, but he would have dug into the Sciarrones’ ancestry, as he’s an expert about the San Giorgio Morgeto townspeople who immigrated to Guelph.
No, so far post WWII Alcamo/CDG is the only context i've encountered the name Leale. This is a good tip though, thank for pointing this out. I will keep my eyes open for earlier and other references. In terms of early Detroit, I think "Renda" was a name from Alcamo. They set up shop in Ontario.
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

B. wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:13 pm Jimmy and anyone -- did you know Stefano Magaddino's granddaughter wrote a book in 2016? Reading what's available on Amazon it doesn't look bad. I like some of the books written by the relatives even if they don't have direct knowledge in the internal mafia stuff (i.e. the Smaldone book).

She mentions that her great-grandfather Giovanni Magaddino was a mafioso in CDG and the back cover bills Stefano as an "underworld leader" so she's not denying that aspect. Her maiden name was LaDuca and she married a Rangatore so she stayed within Buffalo Family circles.

She mentions that Stefano and his brother Gaspare both married women named Caroddo. Is that a name you've come across? It brought to mind the current Bonanno guy Giovanni Carollo who visited CDG which would sound phonetically similar but maybe Caroddo is another CDG name.
Yes, I have the book. There's not much in there. I have a Magaddino family tree from the National Archives. I think it was put together by FBN. Right, Gaspare Magaddino married Pietrina Caroddo. They had a son named "John." Stefano Magaddino married Carmella Caroddo. The Caroddo family is also married to the Bongiorno family, which ties into Magaddino. I'll text you a picture of the document. This "Gaspare" is Stefano's brother and not the CDG capo mafia.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Just a note, I found some Scarcellas from Alcamo who were related to Rimis from there ~100 years ago. No way to know if they're related to the infamous Rimis but it confirms Scarcella is a name in that part of Trapani.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

A few weeks ago I found this. In addition to confirmed Castellammarese (the Asaros, Giuseppe Magaddino, Plaja or Mercadante), there are familiar names like Di Benedetto or Mangiaracina, which I think are also Castellammaresi. I would be curious to know if there are other Castellammaresi that I have missed here
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Great find, motorfab! Really great find.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

That's really great, lots of really good pictures
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Glad you like it and find it useful gentlemen. Just in case if you're also interested, recently I also find this picture from March 1968.

From left to right : Giuseppe Magaddino (Gaspare's son), Giovanni "John" Bonventre, Giuseppe Scandariato & Diego Plaja
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Wow, really excellent photos here Fab!
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”