General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

slimshady_007
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by slimshady_007 »

Anyone know if Peter Gotti receives a kickback from any Gambino family operations on the street?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

Ivan wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:10 pm
ChicagoOutfit wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:38 am Can anyone copy and paste this full article linked below? You can only see it if you join (pay?) the site.

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-e ... y-business
You can usually bypass paywalls by running the article URL through this website:

https://outline.com/
Thank you very much!
Benito
Straightened out

Post by Benito »

Somewhat related to the mafia, when mafiosi get sentences etc. For counts such as illegal gambling, loan shanking, etc. Imo? Lower level crimes. Where do they end up? I did some reading into the prisons and correctional facilities around New York. And back in the 70s. It seems as though they were scarce. Does this mean that they ended up in the general population of higher level prisons such as: Green Haven, Sing Sing, Lewisburg, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Bennyxo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:34 am Somewhat related to the mafia, when mafiosi get sentences etc. For counts such as illegal gambling, loan shanking, etc. Imo? Lower level crimes. Where do they end up? I did some reading into the prisons and correctional facilities around New York. And back in the 70s. It seems as though they were scarce. Does this mean that they ended up in the general population of higher level prisons such as: Green Haven, Sing Sing, Lewisburg, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
When mobsters are charged with crimes like illegal gambling and loansharking, they are generally charged as part of a racketeering conspiracy, which is federal. So they end up in a federal prison, usually somewhere close to New York like Fort Dix. I'd say only about 1 in 10 Mafia busts are state indictments, although I might be slightly off.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Benito
Straightened out

Post by Benito »

gohnjotti wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:32 am
Bennyxo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:34 am Somewhat related to the mafia, when mafiosi get sentences etc. For counts such as illegal gambling, loan shanking, etc. Imo? Lower level crimes. Where do they end up? I did some reading into the prisons and correctional facilities around New York. And back in the 70s. It seems as though they were scarce. Does this mean that they ended up in the general population of higher level prisons such as: Green Haven, Sing Sing, Lewisburg, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
When mobsters are charged with crimes like illegal gambling and loansharking, they are generally charged as part of a racketeering conspiracy, which is federal. So they end up in a federal prison, usually somewhere close to New York like Fort Dix. I'd say only about 1 in 10 Mafia busts are state indictments, although I might be slightly off.

I see, thanks for that gohnjotti, so a lot of the usual cases/schemes that the mafia are involved in, eg: loan sharking, gambling, bookmaking, stolen property, car hijacking. Firearms distribution. Would they come under federal charges? In which case. Would end up as you explained, higher profile prisons. Sing Sing, Green Haven, Fort Dix, Lewisburg. And where-ever else? Thanks for the help!
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Fort Dix and Lewisburg are federal, Sing Sing and Greehaven are staties. Allenwood is another common federal one. Can’t think of anymore of the top of my head.

DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Bennyxo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:41 am
gohnjotti wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:32 am

I see, thanks for that gohnjotti, so a lot of the usual cases/schemes that the mafia are involved in, eg: loan sharking, gambling, bookmaking, stolen property, car hijacking. Firearms distribution. Would they come under federal charges? In which case. Would end up as you explained, higher profile prisons. Sing Sing, Green Haven, Fort Dix, Lewisburg. And where-ever else? Thanks for the help!
It's very rare these guys ever get picked up for something small like that. As gohnjotti said the feds normally let it snowball into a bigger case.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

slimshady_007 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:16 am Anyone know if Peter Gotti receives a kickback from any Gambino family operations on the street?
I’ve wondered the same. Impossible to know.

I’d say it’s highly unlikely. He has no power base to enforce anything.

His best bet is his brother Gene helps him out when he’s out. I’d say that’s about it. Or maybe junior with some of that movie money.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Just a random comment.

Barney and Cefalu.

Literally AMAZING that in THIS day and age that the official bosses of the TWO LARGEST LCN families in the states could have (give or take) TEN years on the streets, with no indictments in sight.

In the 80’s bosses like Gotti, Amuso had 2-3 years at most. Even Chin was in court through a large part of his street tenure.

These guys being untouched for a decade is astounding.

Possibly added another 25years onto the life of US Cosa Nostra.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:43 pm Just a random comment.

Barney and Cefalu.

Literally AMAZING that in THIS day and age that the official bosses of the TWO LARGEST LCN families in the states could have (give or take) TEN years on the streets, with no indictments in sight.

In the 80’s bosses like Gotti, Amuso had 2-3 years at most. Even Chin was in court through a large part of his street tenure.

These guys being untouched for a decade is astounding.

Possibly added another 25years onto the life of US Cosa Nostra.
I think its safe to say that barney and dom r very good at thier jobs. A possible reason that they’ve been on the streets for so long is due to how much they’ve isolated themselves. Chin’s downfall was how he didn’t isolate himself in the late 80’s. That gave a chance for turncoats like gaspipe to expose the fact that chin wasn’t crazy since chin met with gaspipe face to- face. And gotti obviously never isolated himself with his flamboyant bs and amuso would meet with his guys in the open giving the fbi a perfect chance to snap pics. Barney and dom have prob learned from past boss’s flaws, and r now smartly keepin their inner- circle very small.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Their tenure has more to do with the low priority LCN receives today from LE than any smarts or talents on the part of Cefalu and Bellomo. Only a fraction of FBI agents and local LE (not to mention money) are devoted to the 5 families today compared to the 80s-2000s. Back then Bellomo and Cefalu went down just like everyone else.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:56 am Their tenure has more to do with the low priority LCN receives today from LE than any smarts or talents on the part of Cefalu and Bellomo. Only a fraction of FBI agents and local LE (not to mention money) are devoted to the 5 families today compared to the 80s-2000s. Back then Bellomo and Cefalu went down just like everyone else.

Pogo
25 full time FBI agents dedicated to fighting all Five Mafia families. It's simply abysmal.

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Yeah wasn't it something like 300 agents (not counting all the local NY LE attached to them) back in in the 80s?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

I've read Al D'Arco's book, finished it yesterday. It was okay, the thing that bothers me is that he too tells how the books were opened in '74 and he was passed because Frank Manzo had some issues. What about that? Could all these rats be wrong?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Well in the case of Cafaro's 1974 and Franzeses 1975 claims those have been disproven. I haven't read the book but I'm sure D'Arco misremembered since he is recalling events 40 years in the past. Several other informants and (probably most importantly) the informants at that time have the books opening in 1976.

Pogo