Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bert
Full Patched

Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by bert »

thekiduknow wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 pm
bert wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:36 pm They try not to kill in front of a family member especially females, but that is not a rule. If they can do it away from them they look to do so. Joe Gallo was killed in front of his wife, but that was a spur of the moment hit by Sonny Pinto, who also must have broken a rule by doing it in a mode guys place. Matty the Horse owned Umberto's and was on the scene, unaware it was about to take place. It put a ton of heat on him
that never went away.
The fact that there are multiple examples spread out over multiple decades, like B. pointed out, means that they really couldn't give two shits about whether it was in front of a guy's family or house or whatever. They try to kill a guy wherever they can, the only reason they wouldn't do it in front of family is if they could get them somewhere else easier. We don't need this myth about how the mafia doesn't kill in front of woman or children because they're honorable or have respect for family or whatever.
I didn't give a reason, you're doing that. I know of the examples, when I said they try not to I meant it. Of course if they have no other choice they do. A last resort is to do it in front of wife. It's very rare.

I don't know where this comes from:

"We don't need this myth about how the mafia doesn't kill in front of woman or children because they're honorable or have respect for family or whatever."
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

If Carmine Persico was released last week and hung on to life for only a couple of more days, how many people would be tying him to this?
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Here is a video from the Staten Island advance of the crime scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QN9GY61eGk
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

bert wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 pm
bert wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:36 pm They try not to kill in front of a family member especially females, but that is not a rule. If they can do it away from them they look to do so. Joe Gallo was killed in front of his wife, but that was a spur of the moment hit by Sonny Pinto, who also must have broken a rule by doing it in a mode guys place. Matty the Horse owned Umberto's and was on the scene, unaware it was about to take place. It put a ton of heat on him
that never went away.
The fact that there are multiple examples spread out over multiple decades, like B. pointed out, means that they really couldn't give two shits about whether it was in front of a guy's family or house or whatever. They try to kill a guy wherever they can, the only reason they wouldn't do it in front of family is if they could get them somewhere else easier. We don't need this myth about how the mafia doesn't kill in front of woman or children because they're honorable or have respect for family or whatever.
I didn't give a reason, you're doing that. I know of the examples, when I said they try not to I meant it. Of course if they have no other choice they do. A last resort is to do it in front of wife. It's very rare.

I don't know where this comes from:

"We don't need this myth about how the mafia doesn't kill in front of woman or children because they're honorable or have respect for family or whatever."
Ok, I'm sorry, I've been seeing people claim over and over the mob would never kill someone in front of their family for 70+ pages now and I argued about it with you, my bad. Although, when you said "They try not to kill in front of a family member especially females...", I took that to mean that they wouldn't do it specifically because of some kind of "respect" for women, like it's not "manly" to commit violence in front of them, as if they care about right and wrong. Looking back, I see your post and my response are pretty similar, I just lumped yours into the more obvious "no women/children" line other's have been pumping out.
Niagarafalls
Straightened out

Post by Niagarafalls »

It seems crazy that with all of the connections/relatives he had that this would be a santioned hit. His wife’s side of the family is full of Gambino/Sicilian made men. I know it’s different in Sicily with blood, but would Pietro Inzerillo be brought on board with this? Even though he is just a soldier? Like many have pointed out, he was “just” the underboss. If you want control of the family, you’d have to take out the boss, even if he was acting. It’s been too quiet in the Gambino Family for a sanctioned power move like this.
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'd say they prefer not to kill someone in front of anyone, period. Witnesses, especially anyone who might have incentive to cooperate with the police (i.e. relatives), is a major liability. The difference is, they are more likely to kill a male who is with the intended victim, though women are killed on rare occasions.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

It quotes a neighbor:

“I heard five shots. Two at first and then three more. I was frightened,” said a longtime neighbor, Rose Zaccaria, 90. “That night it looked like a murder mystery. A lot of vehicles and lights and commotion. Like a scene from the movies.”

This may be a relative of deceased soldier Paul Zaccaria. Zaccaria "coincidentally" was in the D'Amico crew which Cali was inducted into and Zaccaria's father (born in Palermo) was a made member of the Mangano/Gambino family shot to death on his front porch in front of his wife in Brooklyn in the 1940s. The Zaccarias were related to the D'Aquilas.

Curious if she is connected to the same Zaccarias.
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

B. wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:48 pm
It quotes a neighbor:

“I heard five shots. Two at first and then three more. I was frightened,” said a longtime neighbor, Rose Zaccaria, 90. “That night it looked like a murder mystery. A lot of vehicles and lights and commotion. Like a scene from the movies.”

This may be a relative of deceased soldier Paul Zaccaria. Zaccaria "coincidentally" was in the D'Amico crew which Cali was inducted into and Zaccaria's father (born in Palermo) was a made member of the Mangano/Gambino family shot to death on his front porch in front of his wife in Brooklyn in the 1940s. The Zaccarias were related to the D'Aquilas.

Curious if she is connected to the same Zaccarias.
I noticed that too
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

One article I read said they believe the truck used in the hit never made it out of Staten Island and was dumped. That pretty much puts to bed the random act of violence theory. This was well planned they had everything figured out as far as where to ditch the car quickly etc
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Im still in shock to this whole situation. :lol:
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

s.i. advance tonight said they are still looking for the truck
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

not advance daily news had it
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:38 pm Doubts about Gene:

Why hit the Underboss in a power play? If it was Gene then Cefalu would’ve been hit. Not Frank. Or both. But just Frank?

In a power play move what’s Gene going to do, say to Dom ‘I clipped your UB, so now hand over the reigns’?

Cef has to hit back in this case just to save face. And he’s old school, from the old country, a slap in the face like that and Gene knows it’s war.

It’s the worst possible strategic move in a play you could make.

Point two:
And war with the Sicilian faction? In the words of Tony Soprano ‘This is a business’. Things have been running smoothly for over a decade. Little LE interference, a full admin on the street. The Gambinos haven’t had this sort of run since Carlo.
Every Captain on the street has never even met Gene and they’re going to throw their livelihoods away and suffer unheard of LE pressure for a GOTTI?

The move by Gene is nonsensical in itself and for the life of me I can’t see how he’d get any semblance of support if he was to make this (idiotic) play.

Just a few thoughts.
I was thinking they have to hit Cefalu and Mannino too, unless they signed off on it...

It is hard to see how the guys could think they would do better under Gene than Cali.

Honestly I thought Italians from the get-go... But I'm trying to be open minded... not so " Drug-Centric".....
stubbs
Straightened out

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Frank cali shot dead

Post by stubbs »

Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:22 pm
scagghiuni wrote:
Lupara wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:32 pm His brother only killed Paul (and Bilotti since he happened to be with him) and that was enough to take over.
in canada they did the stupid thing to kill rizzuto and look what happened
They fucked up by going to war with each other instead of maintaining a strong coalition. The take-over was basically a succes until Montagna and Desjardins had their falling out and everything fell apart, giving Vito the momentum to regain his foothold.

Anyway, this got me thinking today (no shit sherlock)...

I may look like a bit of a hypocrite for disagreeing earlier with the suggestion of others that the Calabrians from Toronto may have done this. I still don't believe they would do something like this, not because they aren't capable, but because it goes against their work ethic of operating below the radar and not stirring up a hornet's nest by going to war with another Mafia organization. However, that being said, I posted this on Gangsterbb and wanted to share that here too:

The brutality of the hit is typical Canadian. There's a war going on in Ontario now and the Gambinos are active over there and they seemed to have played a role in the Montreal mob war too. Perhaps Cali was stirring things up over there and some of the groups there had enough of it and wanted to make a statement. The old Rizzuto group might be desperate enough to pull off something like this with all the hits they endured themselves with New York most likely sanctioning these attacks since they are all part of the same organization (LCN). Perhaps they felt they had nothing to lose. Just thinking out loud here. 

There's no denying how similar this hit is with many in Montreal and now in Hamilton. Mobsters getting killed in front of their home seems to be the norm there nowadays.

-----

As we know Cali might have played an important role in the Canadian affairs. Felice also said a few years ago how the Gambinos were involved in Montreal and that some Rizzuto guys even went to the Gambinos in New York to ask for help, which was refused. Then there was the Toronto meeting in October 2012 between Vito and New York emissaries. I'm inclined to believe Cali was one of those reps, I mean who else than him right? Vito's guys were even provided with a hostage from New York to ensure Vito's safety when he entered back into Canada, which is prove of their involvement in the purge against his family. Then after he died the Rizzuto group was yet again targeted and is now weakened, but not defeated. Then recently we've seen a resurgance of violence in Ontario and Hamilton in particular, with murders very similar to Cali's. Some here suggested those may have been revenge killings tied to Montreal. Who knows this one might be part of this too.

Montagna was killed by a French-Canadian non-member so anything's possible nowadays.
I was thinking this today as well. Cali was meeting with Vito Rizzuto aledgedly in Toronto and told him he had a problem in New York. Then if the Gambinos turned him down for help, I mean holy shit I hadnt heard that!

Imagine Vito sitting in jail for ten years and his son and father being killed. They killed Nicolo in front of his family, so I’m sure Vito was stewing for years waiting for revenge. Which would make sense why some of the killings up in Canada have been so disrespectful, in front of families, at their houses.

Like SonnyB just said, anyone can be hit at any time. Vito may have been pissed that his family was getting torn up by war but the bosses in New York never had to worry the past twenty years or so about getting clipped, everything is so safe. Very little violence while in Canada gotta look over their shoulders every day. They can’t even find comfort at home with their families! Like 10 straight years of going to the mattresses. That has to take it’s toll mentally and piss a man the fuck off.

So maybe the Rizzutos decided to hit Cali to send the Gambinos a message, a “fuck you” for not protecting their fellow Sicilians. Because I bet the Gambinos backed the Bonannos against the Rizzutos according the LCN protocol. And hitting Cali also serves as sending a message to the Bonannos, because it puts them on notice that the far more powerful Cali got hit they could be next.

And the Rizzutos are from Agrigento, whereas Cali is Palermo. Another possible angle, considering the history of animosity back in Sicily between Palermo and the smaller towns like Corleone.

Also, the Rizzutos had Gallo killed in Mexico and Joe Bravo in Sicily. As weakened as they are in Montreal they obviously still have connections and hitters in multiple countries, across multiple different gangs, bikers, cartels, etc. It only takes one hitman to pull off a hit.

Seems a bit unlikely it would come from Canada, but if Cali can be clipped like this in 2019 anything is possible.